What's the point of having a second GW2 account? - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What's the point of having a second GW2 account?

2>

Comments

• Thelgar.7214Thelgar.7214 Member ✭✭✭

To play WvW with friends/guilds on different servers. Will be the same likely when it goes to the group thing. So four accounts.

• Turin.6921Turin.6921 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2019

Additionally to what other said you overcome reset restrictions as well. You can do double the fractals a day and double the raids clears a week and send the extra gold to your main account. You can craft more timegated materials and send the end crafted mats that is not account bound to your main account. You can farm multiple nodes with different accounts instead of waiting for them to reset etc

• This past year I used the zephyrite festival & Halloween to buy all the home instance nodes for my accounts and I farm those once a day per account. It adds maybe a minute including load times and i’m pulling in 3 candy corn cobs/50 days, + sprockets & crystals

• Doghouse.1562Doghouse.1562 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2019

i was lazy to start second account everyday. but when i read this all it’s free gold. thanks for confirm it. i will take that few minutes for this from now. it’s unfortunately i can’t start 2 accounts at the same time with one pc. :)

You can and I do. I have several things that I do most days in the two accounts simultaneously, on side-by-side monitors (e.g. Matriarch in Verdant Brink for Amalgamated Gemstone - takes maybe 10 minutes including remembering to log on at roughly the right time, and nets about 1g 70s extra per a/c per day). I've even on occasion taken both into a fractal, with friends (not usually worth it, mind; the downside of having to control each one separately usually more than outweighs the advantage of an extra set of skills and an auto-attack, for me at least). There's a limitation, in that only one session can be windowed fullscreen, but frankly that's minor.

The only thing making it tricky to run multiple (native) copies of the game is that you need to kill one Windows handle (AN-Mutex-Window-Guild) after starting each one before you can launch another. I've a script that someone else cooked up a few years ago that does that. If you want to try, do a search on the handle name; you'll turn up plenty of hits, both in these fora and elsewhere. Or you can use, e.g., GW2Launchbuddy (a similar search comment applies).

Oh, and with regard to Moira Shalaar's comment (just above) - if you run two sessions, you only need to stock ONE home instance between all of your accounts, if you feel the inclination to have each one loot that daily (that's another of my own regular things I do). Party up, enter on the correct account, drag the other one in. Simple.

• Blackarps.1974Blackarps.1974 Member ✭✭✭

I have 2 accounts. One is my main and the second is purely for extra gold income and WvW when my main's match-up is stale. Most everything gets funneled into my main account though. Multi-boxing is nice though too and can provide some small benefits.

• @Moira Shalaar.5620 said:
    This past year I used the zephyrite festival & Halloween to buy all the home instance nodes for my accounts and I farm those once a day per account. It adds maybe a minute including load times and i’m pulling in 3 candy corn cobs/50 days, + sprockets & crystals

I want to highlight this one for the OP, because they have asked both about home instance nodes and about multiple accounts. Moira's comment illustrates how you can combine the two for greater benefits, faster return-on-investment.

FYI does require some extra work to be able to convert account bound currencies and mats into something your main account to use. While substantial, it's a one-time effort that could be worth it.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Zaraki.5784Zaraki.5784 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2019

Log-in rewards.

"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never be able to injure you!"
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy

• For me multiple accounts were the main draw of MMORPGs. For making characters, have them become a crew during story, be able to exist in the game world at the same time. I had two GW2 accounts from the beginning. And then, some more.
    For the twin accounts, I keep them as identical as possible.

I always want at least two accounts logged in whenever I am in game, I hate to be just... one. ):

let the sky fall

• @GW Noob.6038 said:
    Given the fact that most of the good stuff is account-bound, I don't see the point of having a second GW2 account. Enlighten me.

Log-in rewards, dailies, laurels.....it's the easy way.

You have also the wood farm.

You can do more and more better (and having more and more gold)

One of them, if you just do 1 match in pvp with it and you try hard (you have to), you can won your game (and it's done for the daily) or having at least 2 stats and you'll have to do just 1 other achievement to have your daily done (a Vista, Gathering) all this in ~10min max (and don't forget, pvp don't need gears, you can start directly) + reward track (can have a lion's key) + match rewards (can have 15 gold each X games)......a lot of golds.

You can also do the masterpiece, i will not going in details ;) but you can do some group activity that you can manage to do alone with your alt accounts = double rewards.

I have 6 accounts and i do all of this :)

pvp game ~ 1h10, group activity ~ 15 min, that's make 1h25 of farming "accounts" per day for me.

Troll since 1988.

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

WvW was the main reason for me to get another account. One on a host, and one on a smaller server. Didnt do it for laurels MC's or whatever.

• kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

Because some people are so desperate to get accounts based rewards faster than they otherwise would.

• I got my second account at launch so I could have a friend play with me. That lasted about a month. Now I just hop on so I can wander around, acting like a noob.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

Prior to LS3, one could theoretically have made close to 10K gold every 28 days between log in rewards and daily ascended crafting with 30 accounts.

• Jayden Reese.9542Jayden Reese.9542 Member ✭✭✭✭

tons of things. double ag from matriarch double loot AB. Daily's on wvw/pvp for pots to do the 7 Mystic clover reward traks then make a legendary cause better to do world complete on a new acc then 2 times on the same. Double key runs for chance at anything sell-able. Double grothmar strike runs. Double holiday daily's like Christmas to buy gifts w karma or do race once on each acc. Or get the 16 divine envelopes since they halved it. Daily log ins. Also get 400 gems every 5k ap. I made one 2 months ago wish I made 5 from the beginning so much you can double up on to funnel gold to your main

• The reality is I can't have a third account without getting that second one.

Math gets in the way again.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭

There's alot of economical reasons, but for alot of people its just so they can chat in Lion's Arch or something while getting repeatedly destroyed in hopeless Player Versus Zerg battles In WvW and similar situations, it helps take the edge off of it.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay (formerly Jade Quarry) | Mains Mariyuuna/Tempest & Terakura/Spellbreaker | ♀♥♀

• I have a second one for the typical laurels and coins as well, but I also use it to farm the Ornate Rusted Keys to get the swim speed boosters faster

Tootsie
    Sanctum of Rall [FLUX]
    "shut up and suck less" is the new GW2 manifesto

• MoriMoriMori.5349MoriMoriMori.5349 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020

Don't see point in it. Yes, you could use the 2nd account to get more from dailies and overcome some limits on certain things. But you also could just buy gems for that money and turn them into gold directly. And 2nd account still will require additional time to manage it - time is money, so why not, again, just buy gems and turn into gold, and buy all you need from market, straight on?

• Svarty.8019Svarty.8019 Member ✭✭✭✭

In WvW, you can choose which matchup you play in -
    Sometimes one matchup is a massive blowout, where a giant enemy zerg appears at off-peak hours. There is no way to prevent this anymore thanks to numerous well-meaning but misguided complainants on the forum such as "Nerf walls", "Nerf Arrow carts", etc. Add in the huge amount of Red Circles and Pulls introduced in PoF. In 2020, there's no point EVEN TRYING to defend anymore.
    In such a situation, friendlies tend to play PvE or log off - if they have another account they can just go to another matchup and avoid the enemy zerg entirely.

Thief OP? Better nerf Scourge ... again.
    Hashtag BlameMcLain

• GW Noob.6038GW Noob.6038 Member ✭✭✭

Y'all resurrected this old thread? :D

I got the second account, which I use to get Laurels and Mystic coins. It would be vastly too much effort to use it for anything else, like farming and doing dailies...unless I bought one of those Waypoint unlocker thingamabobs.

• @GW Noob.6038 said:
    Y'all resurrected this old thread? :D

My fault cheif, I slipped, January 2019---- January 2020 :3

Annnnnnd everybody just follow.....

Troll since 1988.

• Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashen.2907 said:
    So that you can say, "yeah, Ive got 35k AP and 150k gold on my other account, just enjoying experiencing the game like a noob again on this account."

Excatly, after several years with my main account, I had fun for a while starting a new one from scratch (and without support from main).
    But now the 2nd account is mostly inactive, I am to lazy to do the login for the additional rewards.

• Tyncale.1629Tyncale.1629 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2020

Playing an Alt account can be very refreshing indeed.

• Bassdeff.1895Bassdeff.1895 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2020

More mystic coins, more raiding , more home farming, more guild hall farming, more mules to store things on, double key runs.

• @MoriMoriMori.5349 said:
    Don't see point in it. Yes, you could use the 2nd account to get more from dailies and overcome some limits on certain things. But you also could just buy gems for that money and turn them into gold directly. And 2nd account still will require additional time to manage it - time is money, so why not, again, just buy gems and turn into gold, and buy all you need from market, straight on?

28 days of logins gives 20 Mystic Coins and 55 Laurels (if choosing Plentiful Laurels).
    20 MC is 26 Gold
    55 Laurels is 33 Gold (Material bags)

59 gold costs ~200 gems.

Return on investment depends a lot on how much you pay for the account. Sure, at full price it'll take upwards of a year, but most who have extras have not payed full. If you can find one for ~$10 you're out of the red after only 3 months.

This is of course not counting any easy dailies, opportunities like the current festival, etc. Anytime a new desireable and tradeable thing using Charged Quartz is added (like the Skyscale food), having an extra account to charge on is pretty lucrative.

• MoriMoriMori.5349MoriMoriMori.5349 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2020

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

28 days of logins gives 20 Mystic Coins and 55 Laurels (if choosing Plentiful Laurels).
    20 MC is 26 Gold

59 gold costs ~200 gems.

Return on investment depends a lot on how much you pay for the account. Sure, at full price it'll take upwards of a year, but most who have extras have not payed full. If you can find one for ~$10 you're out of the red after only 3 months.

This is of course not counting any easy dailies, opportunities like the current festival, etc. Anytime a new desireable and tradeable thing using Charged Quartz is added (like the Skyscale food), having an extra account to charge on is pretty lucrative.

You calculations don't include the fact that you must follow that chore of logging in every day, at least to just collect these pointless digital tokens with monthly total equivalent to a real cash worth of a mug of beer. Or you could just toss Anet a coin, buy the gold and log in only when you want to play a game - and actually play it, without any boring grind to earn some gold.

• @MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

20 MC is 26 Gold

59 gold costs ~200 gems.

You calculations don't include the fact that you must follow that chore of logging in every day, at least to just collect these pointless digital tokens with monthly total equivalent to a real cash worth of a mug of beer. Or you could just toss Anet a coin, buy the gold and log in only when you want to play a game - and actually play it, without any boring grind to earn some gold.

For someone not in the habit of logging in every day (or close enough), it's absolutely not worth it. For any who already do log in every day, adding an extra account to log in is effectively a negligible effort.

• More alts, playing more than one account at the same time for rewards or farming (sometimes I see 8 exactly the same characters gathering nodes), maybe PvP.
    One thing is for sure: making gold.

I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

20 MC is 26 Gold

59 gold costs ~200 gems.

For someone not in the habit of logging in every day (or close enough), it's absolutely not worth it. For any who already do log in every day, adding an extra account to log in is effectively a negligible effort.

I don't log in every day (I couldn't if I wanted to because I'm often not at home) and I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to log in to my second account on days when I don't have time to play. But when I do have time it only takes a couple of minutes to log in and collect the login reward, most of which I'm tabbed out of the game reading the internet while waiting for it to load. Then when I need stuff on my main account I go through and transfer whatever would be useful (or sell it and transfer the gold). This saved me having to buy any mystic coins or T6 materials from the TP last time I made a legendary because between the two accounts I had enough mystic coins and laurels to cover it.

The only time it's a problem is when I've changed the routine and keep forgetting. Like at the moment, I'm also buying lucky envelopes on my second account, but because it's not something I normally do I keep on forgetting to put gold into the shared guild bank to do it with, so the process becomes: log into second account, collect daily reward, open guild bank, swear, log into main account, put gold in, log into second account, withdraw gold, buy envelopes, put in guild bank, log into main account, withdraw envelopes, put gold in, play as normal. Then I forget to do it again the next day.

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die. Drain you of your sanity, face the thing that should not be"

• Nightcore.5621Nightcore.5621 Member ✭✭✭

Its only woeth it if you a vagin

• Doghouse.1562Doghouse.1562 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020

Multiboxing. When it's useful, be your own group. Double-headed screens, one account running on each. Mostly I play PvE, solo or with a regular group of friends. And for most of that I play a single account - but surprisingly often it's really useful to be able to bring in the second "right" character (like a mesmer or an "easy-mode" necro) to group with and help out, or to leave one somewhere where a mesmer portal or a TP to Friend will come in useful later (especially for those group sessions). Plus a couple of my regular group are very much casuals, so it's nice to be able to both scratch my own itch by playing new content as it becomes available AND go through it "for the first time" with them. Then, at a purely mercenary level, I can farm my home and guild instances, run the Matriarch and the like and do dailies on both almost as fast and as well as on one, for double rewards. And when I want to craft, I can crank out time-gated mats at twice the rate, which I find makes the whole process way less arduous. I wouldn't want a third account, but two running on screen at once can work very well. If none of that pushes your hot buttons, fair enough. Works well for me.