Why are comments disabled on official gw2 youtube videos? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Why are comments disabled on official gw2 youtube videos?

nxsage.6578nxsage.6578 Member ✭✭
edited January 23, 2020 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Any ideas? Is this part of their new strategy for collecting feedback?

Remove the cast time on impairing daggers.
Fix lag in EU t1 matchups.
Increase deco limit by +5.

Comments

• What do you mean? They have comments enabled on their videos.

• @LolLookAtMyAP.8394 said:
    Maybe you got banned from posting there?

^?

I can comment as well.

[Charr Noises]
    [I play every class!]
    [Fight me in the arena anytime!]

• Raknar.4735Raknar.4735 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2020

Comments are only disabled on the unlisted video made to announce tomorrow's Guild Chat. I don't think it'll be the norm.

Edit: Link to the post for anyone wondering https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-chat-shadow-in-the-ice-preview/

You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you. Umbasa.

• @Raknar.4735 said:
    Comments are only disabled on the unlisted video made to announce tomorrow's Guild Chat. I don't think it'll be the norm.

Edit: Link to the post for anyone wondering https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-chat-shadow-in-the-ice-preview/

Oh, I see. Comments probably turned off to stop speculation from uncovering what the trailer means until the Guild Chat?

[Charr Noises]
    [I play every class!]
    [Fight me in the arena anytime!]

• nxsage.6578nxsage.6578 Member ✭✭
    edited January 23, 2020

@demitel.1340 said:
    What do you mean? They have comments enabled on their videos.

@LolLookAtMyAP.8394 said:
    Edit: their videos seem to be commentable for me. Maybe you got banned from posting there?

I meant in their latest video https://youtu.be/npfmLWmpYuE

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

This is a common tactic for video game developers, to avoid trolls and the vocal minority to dissuade players. Positive vibes only :)

Edit: their videos seem to be commentable for me. Maybe you got banned from posting there?

Not just video game developers. My employer keeps comments turned off on their Youtube channel because they only really use Youtube as an easy way of uploading videos that can be linked on social media, and it would be just another thing the social media managers have to monitor with no real benefits. Especially since Youtube comments seem to be so much more negative and irrelevant to the specific video than anything else. All the organisations we work with do the same, probably for the same reasons. Youtube comments just aren't worth the hassle.

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die. Drain you of your sanity, face the thing that should not be"

• @Cyninja.2954 said:
    Yes, because feedback on youtube videos is of high value and quality. /s

It's most likely the reason why many channels, which do not live off of youtube monetization, disable comments: to prevent trolls and internet negativity.

When/if the developers want feedback, they make threads on both reddit and the official forums which can easier be followed and moderated.

Fair enough but disabling comments? Is that really the solution? As a developer wouldn't you want to know how your content is received by your audience?

• @nxsage.6578 said:

@demitel.1340 said:
    What do you mean? They have comments enabled on their videos.

I meant in their latest video https://youtu.be/npfmLWmpYuE

That link doesn't show anything for me. :confused:

• @Danikat.8537 said:
    All the organisations we work with do the same, probably for the same reasons. Youtube comments just aren't worth the hassle.

That would make sense if they always had comments turned off.

• Remove the cast time on impairing daggers.

• demitel.1340demitel.1340 Member ✭✭
    edited January 23, 2020

@nxsage.6578 said:
    Fair enough but disabling comments? Is that really the solution? As a developer wouldn't you want to know how your content is received by your audience?

Cyninja.2954 already told why. Those unlisted Guild Wars 2 videos are meant to be discussed on the forums. Short preview videos would just be useless clutter on their channel and it's easier to gather feedback here. Don't overthink it.

• @demitel.1340 said:

@nxsage.6578 said:

Cyninja.2954 already told why. Those unlisted Guild Wars 2 videos are meant to be discussed on the forums. Short preview videos would just be useless clutter on their channel and it's easier to gather feedback here. Don't overthink it.

Let's hope you're right :)

• Healix.5819Healix.5819 Member ✭✭✭✭

The unlisted videos are specifically made for articles/whatever and are not meant to viewed directly, thus they disable the comments so they don't have to moderate them.

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭

Not lengthy vids are unlisted and have comment section turned off, to prevent channel from messiness and troll-free still you can upvote or not, so it's also some sort of feedback.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

H. P. Lovecraft

• I saw the video when it was released, in the article. The aforementioned link you posted didn't show anything.

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

They always disable comment in their unlisted videos before public release.

• MoriMoriMori.5349MoriMoriMori.5349 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020

@Danikat.8537 said:

This is a common tactic for video game developers, to avoid trolls and the vocal minority to dissuade players. Positive vibes only :)

Not just video game developers. My employer keeps comments turned off on their Youtube channel because they only really use Youtube as an easy way of uploading videos that can be linked on social media, and it would be just another thing the social media managers have to monitor with no real benefits. Especially since Youtube comments seem to be so much more negative and irrelevant to the specific video than anything else. All the organisations we work with do the same, probably for the same reasons. Youtube comments just aren't worth the hassle.

That's just an excuse used by cronies to cover the actual motive of disabling comments - to prevent alternative opinions and spread of information they don't want others to know. Comments have nothing to do with the publisher of video and all the responsibilities are with the user who left this comment. They don't need to moderate anything there, it's none of their business. Youtube moderation team will intervene, if needed.

• Nightcore.5621Nightcore.5621 Member ✭✭✭

Cuz eveylne livin in a dream world on the internet satin the truth or bad things No 1 likes

The video have 40 likes 244 dislike. Is that why anet stopped so People cant comment on they videos anymore?

• Svarty.8019Svarty.8019 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes. Negativity is bad. Or ... something.

Thief OP? Better nerf Scourge ... again.
    Hashtag BlameMcLain

@Svarty.8019 said:

If you have more dislike than likes maby is not the People thats wrong but the company lol

edited January 25, 2020

If you as a company just shut People mouth cuz they dont want to hear the truth about what they makein thats a big problem if you ask me

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

Whats in the video that requires comments? its not like they actually discuss much of whats coming in the patch. Thats probably the reason it has the dislikes. Add to that from what i know that video is meant to be viewed from the announcement page, so you wouldnt be able to comment anyways.

Also, theres an edit button, dont bump your post by stating the same thing in a new way.

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

@Nightcore.5621 said:

@Svarty.8019 said:

If you have more dislike than likes maby is not the People thats wrong but the company lol

Companies are never wrong. Bosses at companies are especially infallible ... until they go bust ... the irony.

Hashtag BlameMcLain

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Raknar.4735 said:
    Comments were disabled from the start on that video, since it probably wasn't really meant to be a trailer, just a sneak peak for the GuildChat. That's why it is also an unlisted video, not showing on the main channel unless you have the link (It's similiar for videos in other languages, so Anet doesn't have to make a YT channel for every language).
    If you check their newest video, the actual GuildChat video, it has comments on. You could always just share your feedback there, but I'm not even sure you're here to give feedback ;)

In addition to the options above you could also put your feedback on this forum. (Or on Reddit or another site of your choice.)

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die. Drain you of your sanity, face the thing that should not be"

• MoriMoriMori.5349MoriMoriMori.5349 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020

@Nightcore.5621 said:
    The video have 40 likes 244 dislike. Is that why anet stopped so People cant comment on they videos anymore?

I personally gave it dislike exactly because comments are disabled. Hate these hideous practices of silencing people to save someone's feelsies and overblown self-esteem.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Nightcore.5621 said:

At the moment of this writing: 2.5k Likes, 187 dislikes

So applying your later logic, if there is vastly more likes, does that mean they are doing it right?

Not that video. This one

@Nightcore.5621 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Nightcore.5621 said:

So applying your later logic, if there is vastly more likes, does that mean they are doing it right?

Not that video. This one

It's a kitten trailer, but the content might be good.

Hashtag BlameMcLain

@Nightcore.5621 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Nightcore.5621 said:

Not that video. This one

a trailer, of a trailer. you are upset because of a trailer of a trailer?

Which again, is only allowed to be seen if you have link to the video, its not even listed on their page.

• Jayden Reese.9542Jayden Reese.9542 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's one of those things. It's like going and find an artists worst song and see it has a ton of dislikes and go maybe he should stop making music. That trailer is short and hard to hit like as it's just npc's doing nothing.

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020

@Nightcore.5621 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Nightcore.5621 said:

Not that video. This one

Whut is that, a legit trailer? It's bad really bad. Understand why comments are non allowed. All those glitchy plans feels like stupid edits with photoshop using some transparency brushes. Don't understand, the first one was awesome... well +1 dislike.

Through as said above, it's available with link, so I don't really take it in account.

Edit: taking a second look at it it's surely a beta video not meant to be released.

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    +++NEW: AEP Asuran Expansion Project available on WIKI.
    +++New: GEM GW2 Exploration Map: Discover unusual places around tyria: Here (OSM map)

@hugo.4705 said:

@Nightcore.5621 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Nightcore.5621 said:

Not that video. This one

Whut is that, a legit trailer? It's bad really bad. Understand why comments are non allowed. All those glitchy plans feels like stupid edits with photoshop using some transparency brushes. Don't understand, the first one was awesome... well +1 dislike.

Through as said above, it's available with link, so I don't really take it in account.

Its just a preview of the rewards, little else.

• Hmm, OP commented in the original thread on this topic, and then a few minutes later made another. Is there an ulterior motive for this like the OP suggests Arenanet has?

:-1:

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020

OP, You can always make a 3rd and 4th topic on the same topic, like the two you already started.

• I believe the two threads are created by different forum-users; unless, of course, the same person has these 2 accounts.

• You sure you aren't confusing this thread with another on the very same topic? https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/96264/shadow-in-the-ice-preview#latest

• nxsage.6578nxsage.6578 Member ✭✭
    edited January 26, 2020

@Blude.6812 said:
    OP, You can always make a 3rd and 4th topic on the same topic, like the two you already started.

What? Not sure what post you're referring to but I'm not that jobless.
    Also I think it makes sense if they're disabling comments on all unlisted videos but this isnt 2012.. I still don't understand the logic behind it. This guy gets it ~

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:
    They don't need to moderate anything there, it's none of their business. Youtube moderation team will intervene, if needed.

@nxsage.6578 said:

@Blude.6812 said:

What? Not sure what post you're referring to but I'm not that jobless.
    Also I think it makes sense if they're disabling comments on all unlisted videos but this isnt 2012.. I still don't understand the logic behind it. This guy gets it ~

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:
    They don't need to moderate anything there, it's none of their business. Youtube moderation team will intervene, if needed.

youtube moderation? whats that, its about as bad as reddit.

To be honest, when it comes to videos like the one you are talking about, theres no harm in -not allowing- comments. its not supposed to be anything but a quick preview, make comments on the main trailer, or official videos that are listed.