Legendary runes vs buying normal runes.

Hello fellow Tyrians. Today i decided to stretch my javascript muscles and do something that interested me personally:

Compare the full legendary runeset production cost to just buying all the runes you can instead (both cases full sets).After hopping to wiki and doing some data crunching it turns out the total cost of buying all regular runesets on tp is around 923.83 gold. Do keep in mind some runes are only craftable or obtainable via dungeon vendors, so there's that on top of the TP price.

Cost of crafting a full legendary rune set hovers around 2,596.35 gold at this moment. Also there seems to be total of 83 different runesets, so take that to account too (bag space).

What's the conclusion? The conclusion is that you make your own conclusion! I just felt like providing myself, (and now you along the way) this data, and with it a rough idea how the legendary vs standard rune costs look like;)

Thanks for the data. :)

I suspect the deciding factors for a lot of people will be which is most convinient. If you only really use a few builds then it's almost certainly better to just use the normal runes (especially if you use different equipment too, and it's less than 6 sets because then you can fit them in equipment templates). But if you use dozens of different combinations or you like theory crafting and want quick access to any possible combination (including those dungeon and crafted runes) then obtaining and storing all the runes could quickly become an issue (not to mention finding them) and then one legendary set which can be swapped to anything you might want (and then swapped back if the idea doesn't work) might be very appealing.

@"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:Hello fellow Tyrians. Today i decided to stretch my javascript muscles and do something that interested me personally:

Compare the full legendary runeset production cost to just buying all the runes you can instead (both cases full sets).After hopping to wiki and doing some data crunching it turns out the total cost of buying all regular runesets on tp is around 923.83 gold. Do keep in mind some runes are only craftable or obtainable via dungeon vendors, so there's that on top of the TP price.

Cost of crafting a full legendary rune set hovers around 2,596.35 gold at this moment. Also there seems to be total of 83 different runesets, so take that to account too (bag space).

There are 99 https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/db/search?name=rune&rarity=Exotic&type=UpgradeComponent&sub-type=Rune&ipg=200100 on the page but one of them is for an invalid item

For the price total of the tradeable ones https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/tp/search?name=rune&rarity=Exotic&type=UpgradeComponent&ipg=200&sort=name&page=1&order=asc x 6 also works.

The other consideration is that unless you have legendary armors then you will potentially need more than one copy of each set as well.

I think I've lost interest in making these, not even because of the cost or for what convenience they had for a short time before being obliterated by templates and such, it's all about the faction provision tokens. All of the other mats I can get by playing the game basically, but having to go craft or buy some items to hit a vendor...and to remember to do it daily...not to my liking. I'd even rather get them as rewards for actually playing content then having to do that tedious little step. Granted, I think each rune only needs like 50per...so 300per 6, at 25+ a day(29 is max i think), so not that long for this step...I'd just rather be doing something else like playing dungeons, fractals, metas for them or something instead of them. Already have too many tedious little things that I do basically everyday I'm in game, didn't need another one.

@"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:Hello fellow Tyrians. Today i decided to stretch my javascript muscles and do something that interested me personally:

What's the conclusion? The conclusion is that you make your own conclusion! I just felt like providing myself, (and now you along the way) this data, and with it a rough idea how the legendary vs standard rune costs look like;)

Is it 6 or 7-rune sets?

IMO legendary runes are more comparable to legendary armor than other runes. As weird as that sounds, but stat swapping aside, since armor offers you the possibility to swap runes out at any time, being able to swap the rune itself at any time is functionally the same thing.

So if a person never plays WvW or raids, they can get legendary runes instead of farming for armor instead to gain that aspect of it.

Now that may or may not be smart or efficient, but wouldn't be unheard of that some people just strictly refuse to play those.

Legendary runes are the one of the worst investments due to the number of runes actually used. You're better off putting that effort into legendary armor (~300g per piece) and getting sets of runes to swap out. Per gw2efficiency it's around 400g per legendary rune.

The stacking sigils (such as bloodlust) don't work on legendary sigil which is around 400g as well , but at least they don't cost more than the alternative i.e. 2k gold for legendary weapon vs 40-50g for typical ascended weapon.

@Blocki.4931 said:IMO legendary runes are more comparable to legendary armor than other runes. As weird as that sounds, but stat swapping aside, since armor offers you the possibility to swap runes out at any time, being able to swap the rune itself at any time is functionally the same thing.

So if a person never plays WvW or raids, they can get legendary runes instead of farming for armor instead to gain that aspect of it.

Now that may or may not be smart or efficient, but wouldn't be unheard of that some people just strictly refuse to play those.

Minstrel isn't typically used if you aren't raiding or playing WvW so I can only see 3 stat combinations being used (berserker,viper,harrier or other support stat) where typically scholar rune is used for power even if people won't meet the 90% health threshold. Legendary runes don't really help you there. There's also PvP legendary armor.

@Hashberry.4510 said:Are the runes maybe aimed at peeps who don't do legendary armor but want to swap runes a lot? Still seems like a crappy deal, but then again, so does the armor.

Lege armor is amazing. Only thing you want from armor is for it to have stats matching your build, and to not destroy your upgrades. Lege armor delivers on both ends, making it one set to rule them all, and next to legendary trinkets it is the most practical legendary equipment to have.

As for lege runes they benefit greatly from portability and space saving. 6 runes that stack in one slot and replace any other rune in existance can be passed between characters via shared bank slot, saving tons of bag space and frustrations when you don't know which good rune set is on which character.

@Hashberry.4510 said:Are the runes maybe aimed at peeps who don't do legendary armor but want to swap runes a lot? Still seems like a crappy deal, but then again, so does the armor.

Legendary armor is probably THE most useful legendary gear to have.

• It's superior to legendary weapons in both cost (a full set of armor comes to about 2 T1 leggies or 1 T2 leggie weapon), usefulness (since weapons are often only useful on certain build types, you don't use power weapons on condi builds for example) and class availability since armor will always be usable by 1/3 of all classes.
  • It's superior to legendary runes because, well because it makes them completely useless to own and essentially mirrors their ability for a ton less gold
  • It's superior to legendary trinkets in cost by a huge margin (magnified by the fact that trinkets are dirt cheap to get with access to Living World content)

The only things legendary armor is a drawback to is cosmetics and having multiple ascended sets which can have unique cosmetics applied to them.