AFK'ers in the Celestial Challenge

@"Kirigaya Kazuto.8547" said:As there is no way to report "leeching" I always report people afk for botting. It's super annoying and the event takes much longer! They should get no reward and no progress for the achievement if they don't actively participate in at least a few events!

If you could report leeching, i would report 80% of the squad in every meta event.

@thepenmonster.3621 said:

@"Shikaru.7618" said:Blame the game for demanding so little of us.

I tend to blame gamers for being gamers. Even if the devs did move the level of difficulty towards the players with the uber builds those players would still find ways to slack off and let someone else do the work in the events. "Harder" is not a solution to this problem.

Unless they start electrifying the floors?

Anyway, I don't think something as frivolous as a festival event needs a kick function. But I do think that the metas do need either an idle timer or the rewards adjusted based on participation level. Maybe no rewards above green quality if you're not tagged as having completed the pre events? Or if you wait for the chest icons to appear on the Palawadan map and you stroll in behind the zerg that has cleared a zone?

That wouldnt change my play pattern at all and would only serve to punish players that join mid way. For CC that is going to lead to near empty instances as people who join a half way instance immediately peace out or afk until the cycle resets.

Also not saying this is the right way to solve the problem because it would likely drive a lot of players away, but individual performance based rewards would force people to actually play. The higher your damage, boons, heals, or execution of mechanics, the more you get rewarded. This doesnt raise the difficulty of any event yet would get people to not afk. In fact itd likely make all metas go super smooth as people are scrambling to do as much damage, or execute perfect mechanics to claim their share of loot. People who die would way point so that they can continue building their contribution bar before the event ends, people would also not be incentivized to res them as you heal for nothing on a fully dead person and would actively not be filling your own participation bar efficiently. Downed people would be ressed immediately as youd contribute significant healing per second to your over all contribution score. The only issue with this is the population would cry and whine they're not getting rewards and just leave the game.

@"Kirigaya Kazuto.8547" said:As there is no way to report "leeching" I always report people afk for botting. It's super annoying and the event takes much longer! They should get no reward and no progress for the achievement if they don't actively participate in at least a few events!

Exactly! Rewards are already given out like candy.

Problem is, even just hitting one or two skills is enough to get gold rewards in open world.

@Hashberry.4510 said:'The poor design forces me to take advantage of other players'. I would not accept that attitude from my kids.

I didn't even realize you were playing with your kids but obv that rl relationship supersedes anything that's going on in the game and naturally you are entitled to instruct your children as you see fit. I would never presume to insist that everyone raise their children in the way that I feel is best . . .

For those that want to do minimal participation, and not be harassed for doing so, you can go up to the roof of the building.

You can get there with either special action abilities you get from two of the events. The towers put you out of view but there’s a bush on the left side that conceals you almost entirely.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:For those that want to do minimal participation, and not be harassed for doing so, you can go up to the roof of the building.

You can get there with either special action abilities you get from two of the events. The towers put you out of view but there’s a bush on the left side that conceals you almost entirely.

You can also get fully on top of the dome, under which the events happen ;)

@Glider.5792 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:For those that want to do minimal participation, and not be harassed for doing so, you can go up to the roof of the building.

You can also get fully on top of the dome, under which the events happen ;)

True but I think there was an out of bounds up there too

@"Hashberry.4510" said:'The poor design forces me to take advantage of other players'. I would not accept that attitude from my kids.

Except this isn't a teaching tool or a Rorschach test, it's a game with as many ways to engage with it as there are players. If I go into CC to roleplay an event announcer I'm still "playing the game" of GW2 as it has been enabled and envisioned and within the ToS. I can say this about all of these ways people keep proposing to make it more complicated:

1. Players who are engaged with the content for reasons other than the fact that they enjoy it will still find and take the path of least resistance to their own goal. They will always find a way to not participate to the level you think they should by figuring out the criteria to meet their minimum requirement and doing that.

2. The more hoops you make to jump through to get credit for content, the more engaging and rewarding that content needs to be or people just won't do it. If they put in a lawn mowing activity where the whole thing was to RP walk the map until you touched every square and then you got 1 silver and a Glass of Lemonade lv. 10 food item no one would do that. It's not fun, and it's not rewarding. If you added some AP, AP hunters would do it begrudgingly until they maxed it and that's it. The "reward" of AP is marginally worth the time investment to get it for them and they will figure out the fastest way to get it. If you added rare drops, you might get some grailer types who like fishing for ultrarare items. If you added a leaderboard you might get some competitive players who want to make the best time in things. ANet is responsible for finding the sweet spot of how to make content they release appealing to the segments of players they are targeting by making it fun and/or rewarding and understanding player psychology. Players aren't going to police themselves the way you want them to if they even agreed with you on the way to view content additions.

3. As you put more requirements on something, for each thing you have to figure out how to convey that to the players. Players who don't speak the same language, players with disabilities, players of different ages. Players running suboptimal builds or with odd playstyles, if applicable. Do you create a whole new UX framework for this little festival event? What's the tradeoff for that? And in the meantime the players who are only there for the daily or AP will continue to find and use the easiest way to meet the requirement, while you might be frustrating a lot of other players who don't understand the details.

The answer is not "make it harder to get rewards for this unfun thing." All that leads to is empty instances and abandoned content. The answer is to make the content fun in the first place.

Tired of it myself... reporting them makes it even more of a drag when they show up the next day and leech even more.

I've forgotten how many people I've reported, but it's more than two dozen. The vast majority of which were at 303 mastery points and just there to claim an 'easy' 60AP.

Ridiculous. Both the design of the minigame AND the 'players' (leeches) exploiting it.

@Valandil Dragonhart.2371 said:Tired of it myself... reporting them makes it even more of a drag when they show up the next day and leech even more.

I've forgotten how many people I've reported, but it's more than two dozen. The vast majority of which were at 303 mastery points and just there to claim an 'easy' 60AP.

Ridiculous. Both the design of the minigame AND the 'players' (leeches) exploiting it.

No action will be done though as they’re not violating any rules.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Valandil Dragonhart.2371 said:Tired of it myself... reporting them makes it even more of a drag when they show up the next day and leech even more.

Actually they're exploiting the game.

Anet rushed the content and this is the price that legitimate players are paying for the creator's oversight.

@Valandil Dragonhart.2371 said:

Anet rushed the content and this is the price that legitimate players are paying for the creator's oversight.

It’s not exploiting. They participate in an event, get the minimum number of stacks needed to open the chest, and then stop participating until the loot phase. It’s no different than the examples given in this thread that exist elsewhere in the game.

If you disagree, then I suggest you go report every player standing in the volcano during the Megadestroyer meta who is not participating in the pre-events.

I can even make a big stretch and say that using Mesmer portals to bypass doing jumping puzzles is exploiting and all those who do this should be reported too.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

It’s not exploiting. They participate in an event, get the minimum number of stacks needed to open the chest, and then stop participating until the loot phase. It’s no different than the examples given in this thread that exist elsewhere in the game.

So are you saying the exploiters/leechers are blameless for this? You really think this is ok?

Imagine if everyone in the instance did this... nothing would be achieved.

So are you saying the exploiters/leechers are blameless for this? You really think this is ok?

That’s not what I’m saying. I just said that what they’re doing is in no way against the rules.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

That’s not what I’m saying. I just said that what they’re doing is in no way against the rules.

So you also believe that those 60AP's they're so desperate for that they have to leech, are 'earned' as well?

I really wish I could AFK for 60AP's... to anyone that's had to work for achievements, those AP's are gimme's.

So you also believe that those 60AP's they're so desperate for that they have to leech, are 'earned' as well?

I really wish I could AFK for 60AP's... to anyone that's had to work for achievements, those AP's are gimme's.

Just because you dont like it doesnt mean it is against the rules.

@Dante.1763 said:

The problem here is what's technically possible versus what's morally ambiguous.

What ought to be taken away from this, is the classic 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'.

Yes. The event is designed so that you need at least one stack of the buff to open the chest which progresses the achievement. A single stack is earned by participating in an event. They may have done the absolute minimum to obtain the AP but they still earned it regardless.

The problem here is what's technically possible versus what's morally ambiguous.

What ought to be taken away from this, is the classic 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'.

Ehh may as well not bother, this thread is a dumpster fire.