Is there a composition that is equal or stronger than the current Pirateship meta?

EremiteAngel.9765

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"RedShark.9548" said:We are slowly moving away from pirateship, if balance is going as it has done for the last few patches, you still stand around as melee alot, but not as much as you did after hot. Playing warrior was a pain, zergs just staring at each other, and when you had 10 down you pushed them, they knew they would lose and started running, teleporting to spawn as soon as they got ooc.Warriors just running at them, begging for atleast someone to stay and fight/get cced to get 1 single lootbag. It was the absolute worst meta ever. So boring i wanted to kms.Would still say we are well past it, not "moving away" from it slowly. Do zergs still range each other? Yes but they are no longer
designed
for it. Zergs arent 70% backline anymore, its completely flipped - they are 70% frontline. From what I see when a zerg is "pirateshipping"... its actually clouding because only 20 out of the 50 people there are in the squad.

70% frontline? Nahh, most squads run guard+support scrapper/tempest as melees, rest are scourges, hammer revs and weavers with a spellbreaker thrown in here and there.

I agree that it has gotten alot better, the murricans that came over are heavily pirateshipping tho.

Kind of depends on what you mean by pirate-shipping. When you scale to 50+ players, each stacked with dozens of scourges then it's becomes a bit pirateshippy because of the ease which either team can pin-snipe, and the difficulty dogging through 50+ AoEs of death and cc.

There's little surprise that "counter-pushing" is one of the best tactics -- we've been playing this game for the better part of the decade. It's because of the first of two comparable groups to push being at a disadvantage that there are so many standoffs. Its more prevalent than the early-HoT boonball meta because of the nerf to stability and extra corruptions being thrown around. The fact that so many boons and corruptions exist now only exasperate a group's inability to handle a counter push in ways they were able to do during early HoT (and even core, by comparison to now).

You guys can get technical as to what is pirate shipping and what is "strategy" all you want, the short answer is that the group to push first is at an inherent disadvantage and until that changes we'll continue to see servers staring at each other waiting for one side to make the first move.

Of course there are exceptions. Some commanders have balls and try neat stuff like strategic stealthing, portals etc.

~ Kovu

I think Pirate shipping was really a thing with GvG blob fights where fights are usually held in open fields.

In WvW people learnt to take advantage of various stuff like Siege, Mesmer Bombing, Counter Push.

There's also Zerg busting which imo destroyed lots of Pirate Ships with a smaller force which just beelines their backline and ran them over with a compact booned up battering ram.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@ArchonWing.9480 said:A good way to practice is find a small group of pugs and just stay within like 2000-2500 range of a enemy zerg. Don't even engage; just try to dodge them with as few movements as possible. Eventually it should be obvious who sticks out in a zerg and who you and your friends can pull/focus/w.e. They will get pissed and run you over eventually though, but it's ok.For some reason zergs usually dump siege on me when I do that.

Looks like you're doing too good of a job. Gw2 doesn't like overachievers. ;)