How to close the knowledge gap for new players?

@"Astralporing.1957" said:Yes, it would help a bit, and could shorten the gap. So, instead of, say 10x damage difference between the average player and a top one, you'd have 5x difference.

That comment from the developers about the 10x damage needs some proper context. Even if you auto-attack only, you won't do one tenth of the damage that a player following a "proper" rotation does. I believe they compared the damage a "meta" player does in a group setting, with ALL the buffs available, with an "average" person on their own. In that case, even a pro player will deal less than half the damage, so it's a rather moot point. Yes, an average player will deal much less damage than a top tier player, but comparing damage completely out of context is just bad.

Edit: a top tier player WITH buffs does about x3 more damage than a top tier player WITHOUT any buffs (easily tested on the training golem). Making a phrase like "top tier players are doing 10x damage than the average player" be a rather pointless metric only used for a request to dumb-ify the game even further.

Also, Guild Wars 2 is by no means a "complex" game, it just loves rewarding players for not playing the game, more than those that are actively playing it, leading to a playerbase that doesn't want (nor need) to get any better. Teaching players the bare minimum, the basics, can bridge the gap, and if a difference of x10 becomes a x5 then that's a HUGE win for the game as a whole.

Do notice how much the game teaches you new gimmicks, spending quite a bit of time/effort teaching you how to play with the various mounts or gliding. How other mastery abilities are required to progress the plot, like the latest Raven Mastery and so on. And there is -still- no tutorial available for Breakbars and crowd control...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Astralporing.1957" said:Yes, it would help a bit, and could shorten the gap. So, instead of, say 10x damage difference between the
average
player and a top one, you'd have 5x difference.

That comment from the developers about the 10x damage needs some proper context. Even if you auto-attack only, you won't do one tenth of the damage that a player following a "proper" rotation does. I believe they compared the damage a "meta" player does in a group setting, with ALL the buffs available, with an "average" person on their own. In that case, even a pro player will deal less than half the damage, so it's a rather moot point. Yes, an average player will deal much less damage than a top tier player, but comparing damage completely out of context is just bad.

Edit: a top tier player WITH buffs does about x3 more damage than a top tier player WITHOUT any buffs (easily tested on the training golem). Making a phrase like "top tier players are doing 10x damage than the average player" be a rather pointless metric only used for a request to dumb-ify the game even further.

Also, Guild Wars 2 is by no means a "complex" game, it just loves rewarding players for not playing the game, more than those that are actively playing it, leading to a playerbase that doesn't want (nor need) to get any better. Teaching players the bare minimum, the basics, can bridge the gap, and if a difference of x10 becomes a x5 then that's a HUGE win for the game as a whole.

Do notice how much the game teaches you new gimmicks, spending quite a bit of time/effort teaching you how to play with the various mounts or gliding. How other mastery abilities are required to progress the plot, like the latest Raven Mastery and so on. And there is -still- no tutorial available for Breakbars and crowd control...

Download arcdps and check in a squad at a world boss and you will see that some players do 10 times the damage of the majority and no they dont have all the buffs in that squad of 50.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Download arcdps and check in a squad at a world boss and you will see that some players do 10 times the damage of the majority and no they dont have all the buffs in that squad of 50.

Yes because during a world boss everyone is following their rotation and dpsing the boss as if it's a raid boss.

Those who can most likely do since they want the worldboss to die as quickly as possible so they can do other stuff.

Im not one of those since I usualy play support classes myself.

Mhh I started GW2 again after like 6 years. I can't speak for complete beginners, but I had very few problems starting again (purely PVE). Maybe the Wikipedia could be promoted more (gamesided) for complete beginners. Something I heard often is that beginning with crafting is kinda messy for new players.

For fractals there is a pretty easy solution from the side of the beginners. Just say when you haven't done any fractals/this specific fractal. It's less frustrating for both parties (experienced players and the new players). Just as an example: The fractal with Mai Trin.

Just as an idea: How about something like a ticketsystem for mentors (pretty much like the LFG system)? This way experienced players don't have to search for new players and new players don't have to rely on mapchat. At the moment I see the mentor tag just as a substitute for the commander tag.

@Hashberry.4510 said:Much of the game is packed with lessons, for example, the hated mini games and adventures are lessons in flying, dodging, using mounts, etc. Many mmo's players do not want lessons, they want to skip all that and get to the good stuff. They often do not catch on that learning these systems is the good stuff.

you said it yourself: MANY players dont want lessons, we just want some fun. normally i actually like tutorials too, but not in this game.and the elite specs produces max level noobs on a daily basis, its the epitome of poor design