Why I LOVE my Skyscale.

Hi ArenaNet.

So 6 months ago I wrote a thread on why I could not get a Skyscale (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/78566/why-i-will-never-be-able-to-get-a-skyscale#latest). You addressed the topic and since then I have had my mount for many months and I absolutely LOVE it! It was worth all the gold and time I spend unlocking it. It has opened up the whole game for me and I can finally get 100% map completion much easier now. Thank you!

My Springer and Griffon have been retired to a farm somewhere and they are resting. I take them out now and again so they don't get jealous of the Skyscale. :-)

@"The Quad.8625" said:Hi ArenaNet.

So 6 months ago I wrote a thread on why I could not get a Skyscale (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/78566/why-i-will-never-be-able-to-get-a-skyscale#latest). You addressed the topic and since then I have had my mount for many months and I absolutely LOVE it! It was worth all the gold and time I spend unlocking it. It has opened up the whole game for me and I can finally get 100% map completion much easier now. Thank you!

My Springer and Griffon have been retired to a farm somewhere and they are resting. I take them out now and again so they don't get jealous of the Skyscale. :-)

You know, it's my favorite mount too, but i'm still finding uses for the others. I like to use Springer and raptor in the bjora marches meta ending area with the champion creatures because they don't get stuck on environment features that shelter mining nodes. The auto-grip feature of the mount is kind of annoying. It's also one of the slower ones. I feel like it's barely slower than raptor, which makes it the second slowest (but it can still out maneuver raptor in some situations).

I actually am finding their mount system really well done. It doesn't feel like any of the mounts are obsolete. They all have their purpose.

@sorudo.9054 said:as long as it's a time gated thing with map currencies it's gonna be a never ending story of me never ever getting it.

It's not really that time gated any more. You can trade volatile magic and eternal ice shards for them (it's an easy 300 volatile from the strikes). Also i thought every alt can buy like 5 for karma, so you can cycle through alts at hearts. Between season 4 dailies, strike, karma swapping, currency node farming and eternal ice shard farming i could easily kill a play session just working it (if you don't need the currency from that map, convert to, volatile magic) . You can also do pvp reward tracks too, though it's not the fastest way.

It is however, a lot so take it in doses you can stand so you still enjoy the game.

I think they've nailed the mounts very well, and Skyscale is the default on all of my characters now. I still use the Griffon, Roller Beetle, and Skimmer, and the and I have to admit that the Griffon is way smoother and more agile than the Skyscale -- it's more fun in some sense -- but the Skyscale is a workhorse that handles a wide variety of tasks well and deserves to be the default.

That said, I absolutely do not look back on the Roller Beetle or Skyscale grind with fond memories. I didn't rush to get them done in the minimal time, but it was slow, painful, and felt like Anet had all the devs throw various ideas for tasks onto a whiteboard and then instead of picking the best they decided to use them all. I can't lay out a better plan -- you do have to earn this elite mount -- but I think they could've cut out a third of the jumping puzzles, collectible items, etc, and still have had a reasonable challenge. (Yes, some people would rush through it in a matter of hours and complain how "easy" it was, but...)

• Like 1

@"The Quad.8625" said:Hi ArenaNet.

I'm so happy to just see objective joy coming from players flying with dragon buds all over the map.That's real wholesome.

@kharmin.7683 said:That's what I thought, too, but even I was finally able to manage it and I play very casually.

This. I live in Heart Of the Mists and havent gotten my skyscale yet, but between the wiki and a little furstration Ive made some progress on it. Only a matter of time, a little grind here and there.

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:That's what I thought, too, but even I was finally able to manage it and I play very casually.

This. I live in Heart Of the Mists and havent gotten my skyscale yet, but between the wiki and a little furstration Ive made some progress on it. Only a matter of time, a little grind here and there.Keep plugging away. You'll get there, eventually!
ij7A5Cm.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"Katelynn.6593" said:What did Arena Net do? Did they make it so that someone can join you in Sun's Refuge and catch for you?

From Game Updates June 11 2019:
The throw and catch speeds have been reduced in all three levels of the "Play catch with your skyscale" activity in the Troublesome Skyscales collection achievement.

Oh.

I'm still plinking away at it, but I feel almost zero motivation to get there. It isn't a true flying mount, and I don't need it for anything...at all. It would make life easier when I'm chasing DF pre and meta zergs around, but...not gonna lie; I keep up just fine anyway, and I don't really care otherwise.

Skyscale is just another almost-but-not-quite-actually-flying mount. My enthusiasm, and my concern to work hard and focus like I'm crafting another legendary, will be held in reserve for if/when we ever get the chance to get a real flying mount.

And if we never do, I'll probably get the skyscale someday. I do pick at it here and there when I go 'meh, lets poke this a little bit' right up until I go 'well this is boring, time to go do something fun'.

Worst mistake Anet made on selling me on the skyscale was letting me preview it by flying the borrowed ones. People tell me the one you can get is a bit better, but honestly, I still don't care. It doesn't really fly in anything but the most resource-restricted of fashions, and I don't really care about hovering.

I got the griffon. The griffon is all the fake flying mount I had enthusiasm for. I've got none left for the other fake flying mount.

@naiasonod.9265 said:I'm still plinking away at it, but I feel almost zero motivation to get there. It isn't a true flying mount, and I don't need it for anything...at all. It would make life easier when I'm chasing DF pre and meta zergs around, but...not gonna lie; I keep up just fine anyway, and I don't really care otherwise.

Skyscale is just another almost-but-not-quite-actually-flying mount. My enthusiasm, and my concern to work hard and focus like I'm crafting another legendary, will be held in reserve for if/when we ever get the chance to get a real flying mount.

And if we never do, I'll probably get the skyscale someday. I do pick at it here and there when I go 'meh, lets poke this a little bit' right up until I go 'well this is boring, time to go do something fun'.

Worst mistake Anet made on selling me on the skyscale was letting me preview it by flying the borrowed ones. People tell me the one you can get is a bit better, but honestly, I still don't care. It doesn't really fly in anything but the most resource-restricted of fashions, and I don't really care about hovering.

I got the griffon. The griffon is all the fake flying mount I had enthusiasm for. I've got none left for the other fake flying mount.

Sorry, but unrestricted flying mounts would invalidate all other mounts. Why use anything else if you can just fly wherever you want? The skyscale is actually a pretty elegant solution to that problem as it goes about as far as you can without crossing that line. I find I still use most of my other mounts (I admit the springer is pretty neglected since unlocking skyscale).

Also, don't judge the skyscale based on that rent-a-scale. I hated that thing and didn't see the point in unlocking the skyscale as a result (dragged my feet for months on that!). But the real deal with cliff jumping is easy to use and lets you do things you simply can't do with any combination of the other mounts. It's a great mount that leaves room to use your other mounts!

• Like 1

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@naiasonod.9265 said:I'm still plinking away at it, but I feel almost zero motivation to get there. It isn't a true flying mount, and I don't need it for anything...at all. It would make life easier when I'm chasing DF pre and meta zergs around, but...not gonna lie; I keep up just fine anyway, and I don't really care otherwise.

Sorry, but unrestricted flying mounts would invalidate all other mounts. Why use anything else if you can just fly wherever you want? The skyscale is actually a pretty elegant solution to that problem as it goes about as far as you can without crossing that line. I find I still use most of my other mounts (I admit the springer is pretty neglected since unlocking skyscale).

Also, don't judge the skyscale based on that rent-a-scale. I hated that thing and didn't see the point in unlocking the skyscale as a result (dragged my feet for months on that!). But the real deal with cliff jumping is easy to use and lets you do things you simply can't do with any combination of the other mounts. It's a great mount that leaves room to use your other mounts!

So...my opinion is invalid and how I feel is somehow wrong, and also invalid.

Got it.

@naiasonod.9265 said:

Got it.

Wow. No one invalidated your opinion.

@naiasonod.9265 said:

Got it.

Don't be so sensitive. I was trying to explain how I felt the same way until I got a chance to use the real skyscale. How do you know you won't feel the same way until you've tried it?