Mounts unhealthy for core player experience ?

I didn't read all the comments in this thread but the OP. I agree mounts and gliders are a huge advantage out in the world. But, core free to play accounts are basically really nice demo of the game to help players decide if they want to purchase the rest of the game. I would say if your enjoying the core game a lot anyone should purchase the expansions because it really adds to the experience.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

In WvW, expansion players who ride a monunt have 2 lifes, the one while riding the mount, and then id their health lowers they fall of the mount and their entire helthpool reset. And if he's a necro with deathshrough count 3 lives. A vanilla player just got one life. This in every game is called PAY TO WIN, end of the story.

@Axelteas.7192 said:In WvW, expansion players who ride a monunt have 2 lifes, the one while riding the mount, and then id their health lowers they fall of the mount and their entire helthpool reset. And if he's a necro with deathshrough count 3 lives. A vanilla player just got one life. This in every game is called PAY TO WIN, end of the story.

Ignoring the fact that you necroed a thread from 2017, your definition would make any MMORPG with expansions or active development P2W, even more so if they increase Lvl cap and add higher equipment tiers.

@Raknar.4735 said:

@Axelteas.7192 said:In WvW, expansion players who ride a monunt have 2 lifes, the one while riding the mount, and then id their health lowers they fall of the mount and their entire helthpool reset. And if he's a necro with deathshrough count 3 lives. A vanilla player just got one life. This in every game is called PAY TO WIN, end of the story.

Ignoring the fact that you necroed a thread from 2017, your definition would make any MMORPG with expansions or active development P2W, even more so if they increase Lvl cap and add higher equipment tiers.

More content (expansions) is not pay to win. Creating advatandges in game mechanics over core is. if overpowered specializations wasnt enough they add the double life advantage by the mounts.

@Axelteas.7192 said:

More content (expansions) is not pay to win. Creating advatandges in game mechanics over core is. if overpowered specializations wasnt enough they add the double life advantage by the mounts.

Yeah, so every MMORPG on the market is P2W, if we're using your definition, since they will always enhance some aspect with an expansion.

Strange, even with that extra "health bar" on my warclaw I still get owned in WvW. Pay to win games give real advantages to players that even skilled players who don't pay cannot counter. What is being described as pay to win here is laughable. If anything the warclaw gives us unskilled players a false sense of security that gets us killed more often. Does that make it a pay to lose mechanic?...

@Axelteas.7192 said:

If a player can't be bothered to pay 30 €/$ for an almost 8 year old game he/she is playing regularly in a game mode that is very special and more of a niche I feel very sad for him/her. In all seriousness it's not pay to win. Your attitude is disgusting.

@"kharmin.7683" said:What is actually "won" in WvW, with or without the warclaw?

A extra life.

@Vinceman.4572 said:

If a player can't be bothered to pay 30 €/$ for an almost 8 year old game he/she is playing regularly in a game mode that is very special and more of a niche I feel very sad for him/her. In all seriousness it's not pay to win. Your attitude is disgusting.

I paid the game in 2012. I tried the PoF expansion in beta and my Pc barely could move the game at 2-3 fps, obviously I'm not gonna buy a expansion i cant play fluidly.Thats why core players should have access to basic mounts or rent tickets.And yes thye mount feature is a pay to win, because riding one in WvW gives you 2 lives, so a core player has to kill him in mount, and then down again while the core only has one. end of story.Its sad that puting Gw2 for free has made that old players that bought the game in beta 2012 are considered and criticized like if they the same newbies that never paid... alt accounts and bots

@Axelteas.7192 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:What is actually "won" in WvW, with or without the warclaw?

A extra life.

Its sad that puting Gw2 for free has made that old players that bought the game in beta 2012 are considered and criticized like if they the same newbies that never paid... alt accounts and bots

That's sad, but it must be done exactly because of this - to make creating swarms of fully-capable bots and alts easier. So it's a lesser evil.

@Axelteas.7192 said:

A extra life.

I paid the game in 2012. I tried the PoF expansion in beta and my Pc barely could move the game at 2-3 fps, obviously I'm not gonna buy a expansion i cant play fluidly.Thats why core players should have access to basic mounts or rent tickets.And yes thye mount feature is a pay to win, because riding one in WvW gives you 2 lives, so a core player has to kill him in mount, and then down again while the core only has one. end of story.Its sad that puting Gw2 for free has made that old players that bought the game in beta 2012 are considered and criticized like if they the same newbies that never paid... alt accounts and bots

An extra life? Is that a joke?

They nerfed the initiation attack on the warclaw, so it isn't as if it has stupid damage. Also, it's not as if you are having mounted combat. Like if you commit to a fight, you have to go out of combat to get away.

If you can't handle that people don't always want to fight and run instead of fighting you, then that is your problem.

As a support and a somewhat garbage player, I tend to run from players who look as if they look experienced and have superior gear to me (eg tons of legendaries)

The mounts have been a blessing to avoiding combat I don't actually want to take on. If I want to rub before the fight even starts, I should be allowed to. It didn't give me "an extra life" to do so. Not unless I sat still and waiting until the kicked me off the mount in front of them where it CCs me so they can do even more damage.

It really isn't possible for it to be an extra life, especially if you can't do much in it to fight back.

On the topic of what is or isn't fair. Mounts in PvE are a paid feature, if the issue is that people who don't have the expacs have an advantage in WvW with the worst PvE mount, just let the non expac owners get the mount in WvW and through the quest and masteries but then lock it in PvE until they buy the expac. But really if you don't have the expac you shouldn't really have them otherwise.

@"Axelteas.7192" said:I paid the game in 2012. I tried the PoF expansion in beta and my Pc barely could move the game at 2-3 fps, obviously I'm not gonna buy a expansion i cant play fluidly.Thats why core players should have access to basic mounts or rent tickets.And yes thye mount feature is a pay to win, because riding one in WvW gives you 2 lives, so a core player has to kill him in mount, and then down again while the core only has one. end of story.Its sad that puting Gw2 for free has made that old players that bought the game in beta 2012 are considered and criticized like if they the same newbies that never paid... alt accounts and bots

You know, 2012 is 8 years away from now. My pc which was substituted by me last week for a newer machine was from that year and I can still run the game on that old one perfectly fine using medium to low graphic settings - all above 30 fps. So, your pc must be older than that or a "cheap", not-up-to-date version if bought later. Note that my pc even was a mediocre one and far from high end in 2012. Don't you think that running an - I would call it - inappropriate pc in 2020 is the mistake or a bad habit by the game developer that actively releases content to the recent day? I started playing early 2013 and that didn't stop me to spend a few bucks for both expansion (actually I bought the elite version) and an additional account for 10€ + 15€. For 7.5 years of playing a game with little pauses this is very little money and in addition I bought some gems as well but not regularly and not much. Of course I'm not happy with the game's situation but man so many years of playing and getting so much for free that I'm in some cents per hour of entertaining. One visit at the cinema or a good eating out with colleagues would cost far more than 3 months of playing GW2.That's why I call this sad because it's incredible entitlement from your side.

@Vinceman.4572 said:

@"Axelteas.7192" said:I paid the game in 2012. I tried the PoF expansion in beta and my Pc barely could move the game at 2-3 fps, obviously I'm not gonna buy a expansion i cant play fluidly.Thats why core players should have access to basic mounts or rent tickets.And yes thye mount feature is a pay to win, because riding one in WvW gives you 2 lives, so a core player has to kill him in mount, and then down again while the core only has one. end of story.Its sad that puting Gw2 for free has made that old players that bought the game in beta 2012 are considered and criticized like if they the same newbies that never paid... alt accounts and bots

You know, 2012 is 8 years away from now. My pc which was substituted by me last week for a newer machine was from that year and I can still run the game on that old one perfectly fine using medium to low graphic settings - all above 30 fps. So, your pc must be older than that or a "cheap", not-up-to-date version if bought later. Note that my pc even was a mediocre one and far from high end in 2012. Don't you think that running an - I would call it - inappropriate pc in 2020 is the mistake or a bad habit by the game developer that actively releases content to the recent day? I started playing early 2013 and that didn't stop me to spend a few bucks for both expansion (actually I bought the elite version) and an additional account for 10€ + 15€. For 7.5 years of playing a game with little pauses this is very little money and in addition I bought some gems as well but not regularly and not much. Of course I'm not happy with the game's situation but man so many years of playing and getting so much for free that I'm in some cents per hour of entertaining. One visit at the cinema or a good eating out with colleagues would cost far more than 3 months of playing GW2.That's why I call this sad because it's incredible entitlement from your side.

Well i dont have the money to buy a new gaming pc to be able to play the Pof expansion, but this isnt the topic.The main discussuion is that mounts provide a BIG advantage that makes this considered pay to win.What makes me angry is that when the game was launched Arenanet promised that this would never be pay to have advantages over other players, that pay items would only provide "cosmetic" benefits.And by Enimerating this promises I've been banned for 3 days in this forum... for telling the truth.

It seems Anet dont want new players know the original vision for this game and how they sold it in 2012, the opposite what is now.

@Axelteas.7192 said:

@Axelteas.7192 said:I paid the game in 2012. I tried the PoF expansion in beta and my Pc barely could move the game at 2-3 fps, obviously I'm not gonna buy a expansion i cant play fluidly.Thats why core players should have access to basic mounts or rent tickets.And yes thye mount feature is a pay to win, because riding one in WvW gives you 2 lives, so a core player has to kill him in mount, and then down again while the core only has one. end of story.Its sad that puting Gw2 for free has made that old players that bought the game in beta 2012 are considered and criticized like if they the same newbies that never paid... alt accounts and bots

Well i dont have the money to buy a new gaming pc to be able to play the Pof expansion, but this isnt the topic.The main discussuion is that mounts provide a BIG advantage that makes this considered pay to win.What makes me angry is that when the game was launched Arenanet promised that this would never be pay to have advantages over other players, that pay items would only provide "cosmetic" benefits.And by Enimerating this promises I've been banned for 3 days in this forum... for telling the truth.

It seems Anet dont want new players know the original vision for this game and how they sold it in 2012, the opposite what is now.

I dont remember them promising that at all, please provide proof of those statements?

My laptop from the year 2002 can still run this game at 30fps, if your computer is somehow worse than that im impressed. Expansions which by the way do function the same as literally every other game on the market are not pay to win. Mounts even the one in WVW are nothing but a convenience. The WVW mount gets nerfed constantly. They nerfed all the regular mounts so that wouldnt able to one shot everything in level 1-30 zones. The only thing they do is save time.

The game they sold in 2012 still exists, with additional things that they sold through expansions. Like every game on the market. You cant buy power, or higher tiered gear, or instant kills, or invulns on the gem store. There is no pay to win in this game, not unless you stretch the definition so hard it hardly fits what could be considered "Win"

I get the argument of p2w and I think gw2 falls some where in the gray, perhaps more of a lighter gray. Paying for an expansion will get you an advantage over other players. This is fact. How big that advantage is can be argued until the cows come home, but it is an advantage. Fast/easier movement and more powerful specs. Now hold up, before the white knights ride in and carry me off to be strapped to the wheel I have to ask, is it an unfair advantage? Not really. The advantage is negligible. I think the one place you could argue it's most impactful is in PvP/WvW but even then it can be over come by skill though it may be much harder. The "advantage" you're paying for is to make things go from "easy" to "slightly easier" not from "impossible" to "doable".

You need to adjust your perceptions op. GW2 is not a race or a competition, someone having a mount that you don't have is not a 'disadvantage' (have you come from a more vertical mmo perhaps?) . They have a convenience you don't have, so you either buy into it or you don't. Not having a mount means less convenience - if you want that convenience, support the game and get it.

@Axelteas.7192 said:

@Axelteas.7192 said:I paid the game in 2012. I tried the PoF expansion in beta and my Pc barely could move the game at 2-3 fps, obviously I'm not gonna buy a expansion i cant play fluidly.Thats why core players should have access to basic mounts or rent tickets.And yes thye mount feature is a pay to win, because riding one in WvW gives you 2 lives, so a core player has to kill him in mount, and then down again while the core only has one. end of story.Its sad that puting Gw2 for free has made that old players that bought the game in beta 2012 are considered and criticized like if they the same newbies that never paid... alt accounts and bots

1. If you bought a computer a long time ago, you have to realise that it will become outdated and should save if you wish to stay up to date. If you bought a computer without doing your reasearch on what is good and will last you long enough, then that is on you.
  2. Mounts are not pay to win advantages. An expansion expands the entire game experience in a pay to play way. It isn't pay to win.
  3. They haven't broken their promise over pay to win advantages, that comes down to the gem store only and there are no true advantages their only QOL stuff.

Ya'll would be having a cry because they never released anything new or changed up the game.

As I said, the only time it could ever be an advantage is via WvW, and the way they can fix that is just letting them unlock the Warclaw as we all did, but not let them use it outside of WvW if they don't have PoF. Simple.

Basically, if I have a mount in PvE it doesn't do anything to hurt your experience.They added mounts for the race achievements. They can add that WvW lets everyone have the Warclaw but only in WvW unless you own PoF and then you can use the Warclaw in PvE (not that you would want to because its the slowest and worst mount anyway otherwise).

You are the kind of person that cripples creative visions for the games by acting like progress ruins things for others.

Buying the expansion is the only way to have the full game these days, if you are an original player and refuse to buy the expac for whatever your reasons, thats on you. It doesn't make it pay to win.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

1. If you bought a computer a long time ago, you have to realise that it will become outdated and should save if you wish to stay up to date. If you bought a computer without doing your reasearch on what is good and will last you long enough, then that is on you.
  2. Mounts are not pay to win advantages. An expansion expands the entire game experience in a pay to play way. It isn't pay to win.
  3. They haven't broken their promise over pay to win advantages, that comes down to the gem store only and there are no true advantages their only QOL stuff.

Ya'll would be having a cry because they never released anything new or changed up the game.

As I said, the only time it could ever be an advantage is via WvW, and the way they can fix that is just letting them unlock the Warclaw as we all did, but not let them use it outside of WvW if they don't have PoF. Simple.

Basically, if I have a mount in PvE it doesn't do anything to hurt your experience.They added mounts for the race achievements. They can add that WvW lets everyone have the Warclaw but only in WvW unless you own PoF and then you can use the Warclaw in PvE (not that you would want to because its the slowest and worst mount anyway otherwise).

You are the kind of person that cripples creative visions for the games by acting like progress ruins things for others.

Buying the expansion is the only way to have the full game these days, if you are an original player and refuse to buy the expac for whatever your reasons, thats on you. It doesn't make it pay to win.

Are you sure mounts arent pay to win?

Halloween events are available for everybody , they do not belong to expansion maps.You cant have the lunatic festival achievement, because core players dont have a mount (even rented) to participate in the mad king race.As other mate commented https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/10732/core-halloween-festival-lunatic-racer-achievement-can-only-be-done-with-path-of-fire-mounts.You dont pay? you cant win

@Axelteas.7192 said:

Are you sure mounts arent pay to win?

Halloween events are available for everybody , they do not belong to expansion maps.You cant have the lunatic festival achievement, because core players dont have a mount (even rented) to participate in the mad king race.As other mate commented
.You dont pay? you cant win

Anyone been able to get the lunar newyear race gold on a rented mount, always seem to miss 30 second to get it on my alt account.

Equality? No, you want stuff other players earned or paid for, for free. Other players having a mount has very little impact on you beyond convenience. Imagine you spent money or months working on a mount, and some other player stamped their feet and demanded 'I want that mount'. If you want equality, apply equal effort or support the game equally.

To put it another way if another player worked hard or invested hard earned cash in the gamefor a mount, and you want it for free, then what you are actually demanding for is inequality so you can get stuff for free.