Will there be a Guild Wars 3 in the future

Davidm.2419

It's very unlikely, but not impossible.

MMOs are not like normal games - they're not designed to have a definite 'life span' after which the company stops supporting it and makes something else (which could be a sequel if the original was popular enough). Instead ones which do well are supported and developed with updates, bug fixes and new content indefinitely, as long as there's a demand to keep playing it and the company behind it is able to keep going. Some of the oldest MMOs, now over 20 years old, are still online and still getting new releases periodically.

Anet did decide to stop working on GW1 and make a sequel, but that's because they increasingly found they couldn't do the things they wanted to do with the original game. I'm not sure what those ideas were, although I think dynamic events might have been one of them. But that was an exceptional situation for an MMO, not something that's done often.

It's unlikely we'll see a Guild Wars 3 unless either the same happens again and it's not possible for Anet to do what they want to within GW2 (which since they designed this game knowing that happened before is unlikely without a big shift in technology, like virtual reality really taking off) or if somehow Anet shuts down and someone else buys the rights to the name but can't/doesn't want to continue GW2 and makes a new game instead.

Incidentally you might have heard that Anet are working on another game, which is true, but that's almost certainly something new and unrelated, not a sequel.

• Like 2

Someone already explained it really well, so not much more can be added.I too wanted it to believe so hard that there would be a GW3, that when ANet said they were recruiting for a new project, my wishful thinking told me it could possibly be GW3.However, thinking about it with a very clear and lucid mind, you realise that it's highly unlikely; unless something huge is planned for the game, and story wise had to be something exceptional; such as... I don't know, fighting the 6 Gods themselves?How can you beat dragons story wise?Can't get bigger than that, unless it's the six.

Technology wise, there are already a lot better available.Just see for instance, Resident Evil 3 remake.That’s as close to reality as you can get so far.However, such good graphics would require a tremendous amount of RAM and pretty powerful computer to be able to handle huge open world maps.It does work with GTA5, but their graphics aren't the latest, there are better still.

Not to stray off topic too much, I guess my point is, a GW3, would be way too much work in order to surpass GW2.We know graphics aren't everything, but unless you base the story on some sort of futuristic/medieval fusion just like Final Fantasy games, and bring out something really special, the number of sales might not be anywhere near worth the time and effort... and probably ANet are aware of that, and do not want to take the risk.

I reckon, it'll be just Jormag and Primordious now, and we'll see the Guild Wars franchise come to a conclusion.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"SoulGuardian.6203" said:

Can't get bigger than that, unless it's the six.

Bigger doesnt mean better, we could be fighting Shiro again and if it was well written and sense i wouldnt be bothered.

You're right. Bigger doesn't always mean better.But remember the kind of players that the game has to appeal to.I'm not sure how many GW1 veterans are still around; and what shiro will mean to new players. A lot of people will say "Nah, Shiro has returned so many times already. We don't want the same story over and over again."I wouldn't mind to be honest, just like you.Still, Old players might have moved on to other games, assuming most still play at all.Imo, if coming up with a fresh story is hard enough as it is, I think repeating the same one too many times is extraordinarily risky.But then, a lot of people do like remakes.I'm just not sure if ANet would be willing to put time and effort into it.

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Bigger doesnt mean better, we could be fighting Shiro again and if it was well written and sense i wouldnt be bothered.

You're right. Bigger doesn't always mean better.But remember the kind of players that the game has to appeal to.I'm not sure how many GW1 veterans are still around; and what shiro will mean to new players. A lot of people will say "Nah, Shiro has returned so many times already. We don't want the same story over and over again."I wouldn't mind to be honest, just like you.Still, Old players might have moved on to other games, assuming most still play at all.Imo, if coming up with a fresh story is hard enough as it is, I think repeating the same one too many times is extraordinarily risky.But then, a lot of people do like remakes.I'm just not sure if ANet would be willing to put time and effort into it.

He was just an example. I dont care how -large- the villian is so long as they are well written, i think most players would agree. Dragons are cool and all, but after awhile of killing things that are bigger than entire cities..its..lame now.

• Thanks 1

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:

There's where the 'well written' part comes in. Joko was a very well recieved villian in GW2 and a lot of that wasn't because people remembered him from GW1 (where he was actually a pretty minor character) but because of how he was introduced, built up and portrayed in GW2. Same with Shiro and well, everything, in GW1. People didn't like him because they knew about him from before, no one had ever heard of him until the Factions storyline started, but the storyline got us to care about him as a villain and understand why he was a threat. They could do the same again with new villains and IMO that's more likely to be well recieved that simply relying on something which is obviously 'bigger' than dragons.

• Thanks 1

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@coso.9173 said:Have we ever got a sequel to an mmo? I don't think so. I've seen remaster and similar things but never an actual sequel. Gw1 want really an mmo so I don't count on it.Lineage 2/Everquest 2?

Anyway, we'll know if/when Anet announces it. Shocking revelation, I know.

Lineage 2 was released in October 2003.Everquest 2 was released in Novermber 2004.That's over 15 years ago.

This was right at the beginning of the golden age of MMORPGs. Long before Free to play games. Long before mobile games. Long before DLC and micro-transactions. Long before lootboxes.

Yes, those 2 MMORPGs have seen expansions and that means literally NOTHING in todays gaming landscape. As far as MMORPG expansion since then, none. Nada. Zilch. Even Blizzard with the insane amount of cash to throw at such a problem backed out of releasing Overwatch as a MMORPG. Meanwhile smaller MMORPGs close down left and right.

Financially, it makes way more sense to develop something within the Guild Wars IP for mobile or other platforms, than invest into the risky business of making a followup MMORPG.

• Sad 1

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"coso.9173" said:Have we ever got a sequel to an mmo? I don't think so. I've seen remaster and similar things but never an actual sequel. Gw1 want really an mmo so I don't count on it.Lineage 2/Everquest 2?

Lineage 2 was released in October 2003.Everquest 2 was released in Novermber 2004.That's over 15 years ago.

This was right at the beginning of the golden age of MMORPGs. Long before Free to play games. Long before mobile games. Long before DLC and micro-transactions. Long before lootboxes.

Yes, those 2 MMORPGs have seen expansions and that means literally NOTHING in todays gaming landscape. As far as MMORPG expansion since then, none. Nada. Zilch. Even Blizzard with the insane amount of cash to throw at such a problem backed out of releasing Overwatch as a MMORPG.

Financially, it makes way more sense to develop something within the Guild Wars IP for mobile or other platforms, than invest into the risky business of making a followup MMORPG.

Let's not forget that Lineage is still out there (in South Korea) and is way way more popular than Lineage 2, it has way more players and gigantic revenue. Lineage 2 was created to attract a different kind of customer and "win" the NA/EU markets, where the original Lineage failed.Everquest's last expansion was released in December 2019... meaning the game is still active and going, despite Everquest 2 being a thing.

Both Lineage 2 and Everquest 2 were sequels yes, but neither replaced the original, they were an updated version with better graphics, different gameplay, built to attract different audiences/players than their originals.

• 1 year later...

So there are a bunch of mmo's that are getting a nr 2 or have rumored getting a nr 2.Not all very statisfying because alot of those companies decided to start making the nr 2 for mobile.Which has angered alot of the mmo community. rightfully so

Now about Gw 3,

We have another expansion upcomming the End of Dragons.Which is probably going to be the big conclusion of the games story. After that the will put it to steam to get a big resurgance of players.But what do you do after that?

The whole GW 2 francise and story is about killing the Elder Dragons.What if that whole story comes to an end. Arena net has already moved alot of the developers of Gw 2 team to other projects.If the End of Dragons doesnt bring a big visual overhaul with itself like WoW did not to long ago.

I actually do think a GW 3 is in the works.It'll probably atleast a couple of years after the release of the expansion before we even hear about it.But it might not be an unwise idea.

Lots of new MMORPGS comming to the market the upcomming years which will be a very big hit for the older mmo'sPersonally i feel like WoW should have gotten an warcraft 4 or a WoW 2 announcement ages ago but they keep milking thatAnd remember WoW is older then Gw 1!!

Gw 2 is a great freakin game absolutely amazing. But i wouldnt lie if i dont notice that age starts creeping up on it.But for now lets wait until we know more of what the End of Dragons Expansion will bring.Primordius and Seadragon are still on the todo list. (Asuming that we kill Yormag in the Icebrood saga havent played through that one yet)

• Like 1

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"coso.9173" said:Have we ever got a sequel to an mmo? I don't think so. I've seen remaster and similar things but never an actual sequel. Gw1 want really an mmo so I don't count on it.Lineage 2/Everquest 2?

I think the question should be, "Has there been a THIRD game in any MMO series?", but then we're getting off-topic because each sequel is a massive opportunity for each franchise to flop.

My belief is that without the driving force behind the lore, or people who gave part of their soul to produce the franchise, another sequel is doubtful.

On a personal note, I would only be attracted to GW3 if it had a WvW-style gamemode. I don't even LIKE Guild Wars lore.

• 4 months later...

Yes, it was already released at the same time as Windows 9.

If they ever do, I hope they use Unreal Engine 5 and eliminate PvP entirely. Something is amiss there in this game. I stopped after having a top-level toon with fancy gear and went into PvP only to discover I was hitting with my best skill at 15 points damage while I was being hit for 3000,

Edited by TESLA.7415
  • Haha 6

I'll never understand this obsession with GW3

And seeing at all the long-term work they are putting on GW2, I doubt there will be a GW2 in the close future. And I'm glad with it, why would I want a substitute for GW2 when GW2 is good enough.

Edited by Telgum.6071
  • Like 5

On 2/23/2021 at 8:41 PM, jishi.7568 said:

they were working on GW3 but, it was scrapped,lol. Most likely put on hold until a more thorough planned work plan is worked out.So yes, it will happen, when exactly? who knows, it takes years to build a MMO. so never be in doubt.

They never worked on gw3. 

It was GW2 mobile and a game in the Dune Universe. 

We have leaked Pic for both. 

4 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

I'll never understand this obsession with GW3

People naively think, that if a new game will come, it will have all the stuff they like from GW franchise, but will drop all the stuff they don't like. Not realizing it could also go in the exact opposite direction.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1