The most lore-friendly ranger race?

EpicName.4523

Well....

Thats pretty hard to say.You can give pets a fitting race as their ranger but overall rangers can be pretty much every race.

Sylvari and Norn are probably the most seen.

I would even put charr over human because humans are less wilderness centered and more high society. And charr literally train decourer for war as pets.

Asura are on the bottom place because they are the most remote to nature culture.

I'm confused by people saying Asura are not in touch with nature, if you go to a city like Divinity's Reach and look at Queensdale, its far more industrial (even if more primitive overall) than Rata Sum and Metrica Province, both of which are heavily overgrown.

It always seemed to me like living in harmony with nature was an Asuran thing, if you look around closely at their zones they re-use the ruins of older civilisations for their structures and just enhance them, they let nature grow freely through it, and most of their testing is done on creatures like oozes, imps and and not typical animals, unless you count the Skritt.

I can't remember a single instance in the game were they were at conflict with nature (sans Inquest), only other races..

Anyways, its established in lore that in both Asura and Charr societies, the "lesser" of them end up in tasks like hunting and foraging. Not every Asura is super smart, and not every Charr is born to be a perfect soldier, there's alot of diversity.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Hannelore.8153" said:I can't remember a single instance in the game were they were at conflict with nature (sans Inquest), only other races..What about the Living World Season 2 chapter where Asura were harvesting the life of Sylvari to power their golems?

It depends on whether you consider that conflicting with nature or conflicting with another race. It also goes deep into questions about whether the Sylvari are natural or not, being dragon minions, despite their connection with nature..

Though that particular incident was a rogue cell lead by a particularly nasty Asura named Vorpp. The interesting thing is when called out on it, the Commander even has the option of telling them that they stopped too soon, subtly implying that its the Asura's fault that Mordremoth rose because they didn't keep experimenting long enough to find out the Sylvari were dragon minions:

• I know you experimented on sylvari. (if sylvari)++ What? I imagine your friend Caithe told you, hm? Well, that was a long time ago. The world was a different place back then.+++ I'll never forgive you for that.+++ We all make mistakes. So long as you've made up for it.+++ You stopped too soon. If you'd learned they were minions...

He also takes the classic "the world was a difference place back then" approach that many IRL racists do, so who knows.

@"Hannelore.8153" said:I'm confused by people saying Asura are not in touch with nature, if you go to a city like Divinity's Reach and look at Queensdale, its far more industrial (even if more primitive overall) than Rata Sum and Metrica Province, both of which are heavily overgrown.

It always seemed to me like living in harmony with nature was an Asuran thing, if you look around closely at their zones they re-use the ruins of older civilisations for their structures and just enhance them, they let nature grow freely through it, and most of their testing is done on creatures like oozes, imps and and not typical animals, unless you count the Skritt.

I can't remember a single instance in the game were they were at conflict with nature (sans Inquest), only other races..

Anyways, its established in lore that in both Asura and Charr societies, the "lesser" of them end up in tasks like hunting and foraging. Not every Asura is super smart, and not every Charr is born to be a perfect soldier, there's alot of diversity.

Yeah yeah ofc.But Asura have a lot of high tech culture as well and ranger use let say more primal skills.

I mean if there would be something like a golem pet with the associated tech skills Asura would be great rangers.But for me the Asura "ranger" is an engineer. That works with more lowtech stuff and focusses on companions and gadgets than actual magic

Asura. Ever been to Rata Sum prison? Where they imprison a guy cause he's too stupid? Well he wouldn't be there if he went ranger.Instead of those overcomplex and hackable golems you settle for abusing employing animals. They are immune to hacking, easy to repair and replace, and already come preprogrammed with enemy/ally and terrain recognition AI. Not to mention they can serve as emergency food rations. And given how large they are compared to our own size, that's a sizable food supply at the ready!

Additionaly you come armed with asuran set of racial skills like technobabble which can be augmented by moment of clarity into 4.5s daze and a personalized golem summon if there ever is a suspicion you became a ranger cause you were too stupid to operate a golem and may need incarceration for indeterminate amount of time!

Also radiation field doesn't do anything interesting with golems, irradiating wildlife on the other hand...Ofc i meant hostile lifeforms! Not my precious speci...pets!

@Drizzt.1796 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:What about the Living World Season 2 chapter where Asura were harvesting the life of Sylvari to power their golemThe sylvari aren't exactly plants. Though they have a lot of similarities they are NOT plants.

A quote directly cited from the official wiki, the first sentence about their physiology:"The sylvari are omnivorous humanoid plants."

So yes, they are plants.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:What about the Living World Season 2 chapter where Asura were harvesting the life of Sylvari to power their golemThe sylvari aren't exactly plants. Though they have a lot of similarities they are NOT plants.

A quote directly cited from the official wiki, the first sentence about their physiology:"The sylvari are omnivorous humanoid plants."

So yes, they
are
plants.

look at the GW2 wiki and you'll see the main difference. Besides it says BOTANICAL humanoids. Also Explorer Syllia states that the cold does not affect sylvari, but they affect plants. I'm leaning toward the thought that they are just humanoids that just RESEMBLE plants. Not that they are plants.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@"Jimbru.6014" said:My own ranger is human. His game creation story is that he was given up by his real parents for adoption (the "never looked for his real parents" option) who grew up among commoners (the regular working folk of the Salma District) and was blessed by Melandru. His adopted family (or at least, the NPCs I interpret as being his adopted family) run the inn in the middle of the Salma District. Based on all that, I interpreted his childhood as being spent learning to hunt and forage in Kryta to provide food for the inn; during that process, he did a lot of growing up on his own, with animals and nature for companionship more than people. Hence him being a ranger.

As for rifles vs. bows, bows are more friendly for stalking and hunting. You fire a bow, kill your prey, and can immediately move to to find your next target. You fire a rifle, and you just spooked all the prey nearby (or even worse, attracted predators); good luck moving on to that next kill until the critters settle down. Hence the ranger preference for the quiet elegance of bows over big noisy guns.

Gives me idea for warrior rifle rp. Maybe put the outfit together, (haven't geared for it yet) and start hiking in the far shiverpeaks. For some reason I'm stuck on this idea.

All the races have lore-friendly ways to be rangers.

Human - Melandru, of course. My main is a Human Soulbeast. I already described him earlier.

Norn - An entire race of legendary big game hunters.

Sylvari - Closely connected to nature, comes naturally to them.

Charr - There's a monument to Charr rangerdom in Diessa Plateau; Blood Legion were the first to tame devourers. Besides the gladium adventurers like Rox, and the Priory guy who hangs out in your home instance, Rangers fit into the Charr war machine as scouts, skirmishers, guerrillas, and general force multipliers. Think of them like US Marine Recon, getting out in the country, working behind the lines, living off the land. They could fit well with Blood or Ash.

Asura - Two words: dancing moas. Seriously, if something exists, there's a krewe somewhere studying it. My own Asura Ranger (destined to be a druid) is a Synergetics naturalist (the oneness of nature and all that) who loves studying animals up close, sort of a pointy eared Steve Irvin. She got wrapped up in Druidic nature lore by way of the Durmand Priory.

• 1 year later...

Norn is an obvious choice you got Eir and there entire culture revolves around being a Hunter, even if you're class is an Elementalist you will still be referred to as a Hunter. Sylvari makes sense for obvious reasons. Charr have Rox and Pyre Fierceshot. Asura have Moa and going outside of the box. And lastly Human has Melandru, but I don't care because there boring and everyone knows only boring people with no creativity play them. My order for most lore appropriate races would be Norn > Sylvari > Charr > Asura > Human (Only class that fits human 1000% is Mesmer, and no not Revenant Norn and Sylvari fit Revenant a million times more.

Edited by Andrew.2604

Charr make for an excellent ranger choice. It can be easy to forget with all the war machines and industrialization but they do also still use warbeasts in their military and as such have ranches where they tame and train devourers, drakes, and other beasts. My own charr ranger's backstory has him as a drake breeder for the Iron legion before he went his own way.

They also still make use of archers as we see with Rox. Likely because ranging requires stealth and ammo you can make from the environment is useful on extremely long ranges. Your typical ranger in the Legions will be long ranged scouts, foresters, and trackers who use a combination of the charr's natural senses and a tamed animal companion to hunt down enemies of their legion.

Now that we have the Olmakhan charr might actually be the best ranger option. Charr who worship nature and who's NPCs are the only ones in the entire game that use the druid staff animations.

Asura can be awesome lore friendly rangers in a Jane-Goodall-Ima-go-sit-with-the-animals-until-I-see-the-Eternal-Alchemy-manifest-in-them kinda way.

All races have lore friendly ways to be all professions. All these “most lore friendly” threads really just look like “most stereotypical” to me.

Thieves can wear color.

Norn can be mesmers.

Stereotypes are boring.

• Like 1