Anet really has me worked up now

slpr.2647

ive been working for awhile now on saving up keys for BLC's . just got my last bit with the keys sale. been saving for the Starborn outfit. 60 statuettes. just a week or two ago, was still available. now, "out of stock" are you shitting me?!?!?! thx a ton Anet. , last time i buy keys, ever

@"Chyanne Waters.8719" said:Save the statuettes for when it comes back and it will just take a bit longer is all

Generally I like the rotation. It would be boring to just have the same stuff endlessly available. Still, it can be frustrating if there is a particular item you want and have to keep waiting for. It would be even more frustrating to just miss the item you wanted by a few days. I know, I've been there. Sadly, Chyanne Waters has given the only practical response in that situation. Though I have to say, when life gives me one of these little lessons in "patience", I do wish I could take life out behind the woodshed and kick it in the butt.

@sorudo.9054 said:you do know 60 statuettes is equal to 9000 gems right?so in case you wanna know, it's overpriced regardless.

At 1 statuette per chest...

Keys (single) sell for 125 gems, so 60 x 125 = 7,500 gems.

The most efficient way to buy 60 keys would be: 2 x 25 keys @ 2,100 gems each plus 2 x 5 keys @ 450 gems each, for a total of 5,100 gems.

Not 9,000.

However, to get 5,100 gems one would have to buy 4,000 @ $50 plus 1,600 @ $20, so $70 with 500 gems left over.

So, yes, buying keys to get statuettes to get a wanted item will be over-priced for some, even if you over-stated the amount.

@Chichimec.9364 said:

@"Chyanne Waters.8719" said:Save the statuettes for when it comes back and it will just take a bit longer is all

Generally I like the rotation. It would be boring to just have the same stuff endlessly available. Still, it can be frustrating if there is a particular item you want and have to keep waiting for. It would be even more frustrating to just miss the item you wanted by a few days. I know, I've been there. Sadly, Chyanne Waters has given the only practical response in that situation. Though I have to say, when life gives me one of these little lessons in "patience", I do wish I could take life out behind the woodshed and kick it in the butt.

"kick"

And also for those 5100 gems you get a loot of goods stuff both for selling and rare skins for self and various other account related bonuses.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:you do know 60 statuettes is equal to 9000 gems right?so in case you wanna know, it's overpriced regardless.

The most efficient way to buy 60 keys would be: 2 x 25 keys @ 2,100 gems each plus 2 x 5 keys @ 450 gems each, for a total of 5,100 gems.

Not 9,000.

However, to get 5,100 gems one would have to buy 4,000 @ $50 plus 1,600 @ $20, so $70 with 500 gems left over.

So, yes, buying keys to get statuettes to get a wanted item will be over-priced for some, even if you over-stated the amount.

A typical MMO player spends $180 a year ($15/mo) to have a chance to WORK on armor/outfit they want that's not even close the to quality of armor/outfit you get from GW2's BLC. In that context, since GW2 don't have monthly fee, $70 for a good looking armor/outfit is a bargain.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

Not 9,000.

i farmed some keys, thru mapping, and bought a couple sets of 5 when they were on sale. then of course got some with gold to gems, so i think i actually spent alot less

@Friday.7864 said:Maybe you can ask support to take away your 60 statuettes and give you the starborn outfit?Just maybe tho, ask nicely, explain you bought keys just for that and weren't aware the offers rotate.

as dumb as it makes me sound, i really was not aware that the items available with statuettes rotated. thats why i was so ticked off, turns out it should have been at myself

@slpr.2647 said:

@Friday.7864 said:Maybe you can ask support to take away your 60 statuettes and give you the starborn outfit?Just maybe tho, ask nicely, explain you bought keys just for that and weren't aware the offers rotate.

as dumb as it makes me sound, i really was not aware that the items available with statuettes rotated. thats why i was so ticked off, turns out it should have been at myself

Just so you are aware (and can check), the Release (Patch) Notes state when Black Lion Statuette offering change.

Good luck.

@Chichimec.9364 said:

ArenaNet uses this feeling specifically to make people buy something hastily. It's a super predatory marketing gimmick to leverage natural human behavior into buying stuff even if they can't afford it at the time. Banks be banking, yo.

@Cuddy.6247 said:

ArenaNet uses this feeling specifically to make people buy something hastily. It's a super predatory marketing gimmick to leverage natural human behavior into buying stuff even if they can't afford it at the time. Banks be banking, yo.

I wonder if it's worth it though. Versus leaving it up and letting people buy it on their own time. Same as the black lion chest. Is suckering in those gamblers attempting to get an outfit more profitable than just selling the outfit? Seems like they're really narrowing down their opportunity to sell an item by relying solely on sense-impaired consumers. I mean, I have been one of those sense-impaired consumers, but I doubt my gambling made up for the people that would have probably bought the outfit if it were just a direct, honest sale.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:

I wonder if it's worth it though. Versus leaving it up and letting people buy it on their own time.Yes. Artificial scarcity is a well known and documented (as well as highly effective) marketing method. Yes, some people give up on purchase due to that, but even more people end up "pushed" into buying stuff because they are afraid it will disappear and won't be available if they ever need it (hint: most of those people will never actually need that stuff, and so, if it was permanently available, would never buy it).

Yes, it is scummy practice, but unfortunately it works, and so, it keeps being used by everyone.

@"slpr.2647" said:ive been working for awhile now on saving up keys for BLC's . just got my last bit with the keys sale. been saving for the Starborn outfit. 60 statuettes. just a week or two ago, was still available. now, "out of stock" are you kitten me?!?!?! thx a ton Anet. , last time i buy keys, ever

..or you could just buy it with real cash, and save yourself tones of time and effort.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:

I wonder if it's worth it though. Versus leaving it up and letting people buy it on their own time. Same as the black lion chest. Is suckering in those gamblers attempting to get an outfit more profitable than just selling the outfit? Seems like they're really narrowing down their opportunity to sell an item by relying solely on sense-impaired consumers. I mean, I have been one of those sense-impaired consumers, but I doubt my gambling made up for the people that would have probably bought the outfit if it were just a direct, honest sale.

I don't think that other person is right, and what you are saying is exactly the reason why they rotate - to NOT allow everybody buy any piece they would want at any time.This would lead to people only buying the best stuff, ignoring anything else. The best stuff wouldn't be that unique anymore after some time, making it less popular - and uglier stuff wouldn't become popular anyway. When they rotate it like that, you have a choice to either wait and try to catch what you need - or buy something else similar to it (and still buy what you wanted at some point anyway, making Anet more money). At the same time, very nice stuff won't become too mundane this way as well.

They could simply make nice stuff very expensive, but that would just produce more backlash from the community. So they try to control uniqueness of it by limiting possibilities to buy it for you. Those who really want to buy it will do, at some point - and they will still feel themselves rather unique when wearing it.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@"slpr.2647" said:ive been working for awhile now on saving up keys for BLC's . just got my last bit with the keys sale. been saving for the Starborn outfit. 60 statuettes. just a week or two ago, was still available. now, "out of stock" are you kitten me?!?!?! thx a ton Anet. , last time i buy keys, ever

..or you could just buy it with real cash, and save yourself tones of time and effort.

Umm, i did use some real cash, (as i stated) but im not rich, so , no

@"cptaylor.2670" said:

Yes, it's worth it. Artificial scarcity works wonders to sell low shelf items. If they left everything up all the time, people would only buy what they want and not really pursue impulse buys. IMO it just goes really far to show how messed up the gem store is though. In an ideal world all of the quality would be similar enough that there'd be no need for sales or discontinuations (see: GW1's cash shop, where you can get anything you want at any time). This game is more store front than game though, so you need to look at it from a retail perspective.

@"Cuddy.6247" said:Yes, it's worth it. Artificial scarcity works wonders to sell low shelf items. If they left everything up all the time, people would only buy what they want and not really pursue impulse buys. IMO it just goes really far to show how messed up the gem store is though. In an ideal world all of the quality would be similar enough that there'd be no need for sales or discontinuations (see: GW1's cash shop, where you can get anything you want at any time). This game is more store front than game though, so you need to look at it from a retail perspective.

Bad practices with rotating DENIAL of items to customers. Its not like they can run out of stock of a digital item. They just want to engage with panic purchasers and screw the rest. That is terribly frustrating.

If only there was some type of subscription model they could implement to save players from this predatory system..Buy 2 play is now worse than sub thanks to scummy cash shop practices, GW2 is proof enough of that, but there was plenty proof before.ESO is proof that both systems can work in tandem very well.FF14/WoW/ESO is proof people are still willing to pay sub to avoid these predatory marketing schemes.

ANet will milk this cow till its dead instead of doing whats right, and it will have died never having added anything new that was significant since abandoning expansions. I'll be glad to see 1 of the remaining so called "buy 2 play" games nope the heck out of the market because what they really are is predatory gambling systems under the guise of a video game.GW1 was truly buy 2 play, and it was way too good to be true with constant content being flung out, I knew that wouldn't last but it was impressive while it did.

GW2 still has a couple years worth of milking its customers with mount skins and such so fasten your seat belts its gonna be a wild ride.

As is already well known, artificial scarcity is a proven marketing and sales tactic. It is hardly predatory. Why would they change a model that nets them the most gain? And whether or not ANet is milking your proverbial cow is conjecture on your part. We don't have that level of in-depth financial data. And don't even get me started on your "predatory gambling system" claim.

You seem to like that term: predatory. Maybe this isn't the right game genre for you?

As for a subscription, please no. Many play this game for the very reason that there is no mandatory monthly fee that one has to pay to play.