"Giving in" to the voice {Spoilers}

Valgar.9576

Like the title suggests, wouldn’t it be cool if you were able to “give in” to Jormag’s voice.

For example, if you type /sleep in Bjora your character becomes a servant of Jormag and is an enemy to all other players. You could then fight other players on the map like some kind of open world pvp. Once you are defeated, you could get a debuff that prevents you from turning again for 24 hours so that people can’t continuously spam and troll events or players.I think this could really spice things up with the new content because you might get people banding together to fight off a group of “turned” players. I know it will have its down falls, but I think it would make the world so much more immersive.

I had a similar idea for when HoT came out. I would have loved it if only Sylvari player characters who were playing the HoT campaign had the choice to “give in” to Mordremoth in a similar way. There’s probably better ways to implement it but I just can’t help wishing that this could happen.

No i definitely think people will try and form large groups and kill everyone but I'm suggesting there are ways around it. Just off the top of my head I can think of maybe putting in a time limit until your character snaps out of it therefore preventing huge zergs from even forming. The idea behind it isn't necessarily to introduce pvp, but give some sort of dynamic and "unpredictable" nature to the story. The idea that anyone of your "comrades" could turn on you at any moment.

Or, as part of the saga, add these new maps to PvP as story themed maps where players choose a side before entering. This way every living story release would add something to PvP as well. In WvW they could add an episode themed map every release that takes the place of Heart of the Mists with it's own seperate WvW reward track. This is just an "out there" thought to get those two game modes... something.

@"Super Hayes.6890" said:Or, as part of the saga, add these new maps to PvP as story themed maps where players choose a side before entering. This way every living story release would add something to PvP as well. In WvW they could add an episode themed map every release that takes the place of Heart of the Mists with it's own seperate WvW reward track. This is just an "out there" thought to get those two game modes... something.

This isn't a bad idea.It would be nice to add in something that engages you more with other players you know...cause this is an mmo.

However, how could that work within the canon story?Remember, canonically our characters are not random adventurers, but the Commander. Suddenly turning that character into a Jormag minion and fighting the Pact must have an impact on the story. Especially if we have a choice.And branching stories are not within the scope as far as we know. I think this is also the reason why we never really had much trouble with Mordremoths influence in HoT when playing as a sylvari.

Hmm... what if players got prompted to turn by the game, like the shapeshifter event in the elon riverlands? That way people can avoid turning by mistake, and people can't use it to troll.

Maybe the "icebrood" player need not be defeated, but rather players must break an object to release Jormags control over the players (who would, in turn, attempt to protect the objects)?

It could also make a fun wvw event, if players defect to a fourth "icebrood" server dedicated to causing chaos.