Achievement Point Discussion

I was very sad when I learned that nobody has attained a full set (including back item) of radiant (or hellfire) armor. I thought I just didn't play enough (although, one would think averaging almost 5 hours a day for the life of the game SHOULD be enough).

Apparently, ANet intended this game to live 10 years or more, because STILL nobody has made it to 39,000.

I still play, but I've lost all hope of every getting my goal of full radiant armor. If the gods of the game can't do it, what hope have I?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"hellsqueen.3045" said:

I think it is less "these people have more than me"And more "I can never access all the things that they have had access too"

They should have played then, then. I did, I didn't bother doing some of the AP and i'll never get it. And that's fine. If you weren't a part of something why should you earn something from it?

• 1 year later...

@Celsith.2753 said:

@"hellsqueen.3045" said:

I think it is less "these people have more than me"And more "I can never access all the things that they have had access too"

They should have played then, then. I did, I didn't bother doing some of the AP and i'll never get it. And that's fine. If you weren't a part of something why should you earn something from it?

I didn't know the game existed then, I wasn't really much of the gamer I am today.I am missing a huge part of the game because it was temporary, it ruins the immersion and gaming experience missing a huge part of story. Like, my first love for this game is following the story and I will never be able to experience it.The things like AP, Titles and unique loot are all things that are a side effect of this, but I will never even get a grasp on the story the way people who got to play it will and fractals are not an adequate solution.

This isn't some event that cycles like festivals.This is more than that.

Stories like this that tie together shouldn't suddenly become inaccessible.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:I hunt achievements quite frequently. I work my kitten off for them because I am desperate to at least get as many armor skins as I can.I have only been playing for just over 3 years now and I only have just under 13k achievement points...

Hmm, I'm not sure why you brought this two year old discussion back to life at this point. Since you did though, something struck me as odd about your OP. I'm a casual player who doesn't particularly chase AP yet in a little more than two years of play, I've accumulated 14,012 AP. I don't do PVP or Raids, have only cherry picked the stories for the episodes that have something I want like mounts or access to particular maps. I skip a lot of the festival activities, never bothered with the HoT minigames, and so forth. So if you've worked that hard and I've been so lazy, why do I have more AP than you in less time? Not trying to be rude, am just curious about the anomaly.

@Chichimec.9364 said:

@hellsqueen.3045 said:I hunt achievements quite frequently. I work my kitten off for them because I am desperate to at least get as many armor skins as I can.I have only been playing for just over 3 years now and I only have just under 13k achievement points...

Hmm, I'm not sure why you brought this two year old discussion back to life at this point. Since you did though, something struck me as odd about your OP. I'm a casual player who doesn't particularly chase AP yet in a little more than two years of play, I've accumulated 14,012 AP. I don't do PVP or Raids, have only cherry picked the stories for the episodes that have something I want like mounts or access to particular maps. I skip a lot of the festival activities, never bothered with the HoT minigames, and so forth. So if you've worked that hard and I've been so lazy, why do I have more AP than you in less time? Not trying to be rude, am just curious about the anomaly.

I have more than the 13k now. I have over 16k since this post.And I am still working at it, no where near as hard as I did when I made this post.I work every festival with as many achievements as I can muster, I work every story and try and get all possible achievements from them, I work every slayer achievement when I get close enough to them, etc.I have more than you as of you making your post, so I am clearly working at it.Dailies are a huge thing, so if you do your dailies, it is likely why you are earning AP.Because of how much time I sink into this game, I also burn out until a point where I don't earn my dailies as frequently as others and I recognize that it is a huge downfall but I like to play the game and not just log in once to complete some stuff for ten minutes out of some sort of mindless obligation and so I miss out on dailies during my burn out periods.I still feel like I should be closer by now, but considering there is so much more consistent and nice reward for dailies, I'll never be as far as I would like to be.Logging in for 10 minutes to do your dailies gets you such a nice amount of AP that I have been awarded for doing a collection. Dailies that people can do without even realizing or without having to go too far out of their way to do, should not reward as much as achievements that you most often have to go out of your way to complete.I should feel a little more rewarded for certain achievements, that's just the way it is.

This highest person EVER has hit just over 41,000. To do that, s/he had to be playing the whole time the game has been out, and had to be doing so at the top level of gamesmanship. All modes, top of the line, everything.

I have little chance. I've played since the beginning, but I'm simply too old to play at that kind of level of play. I really wanted all of the radiant armor skins, but facts are facts: if the best player in the history of the game just got to it last year, I have no chance. But, I am close to 30,000, so getting the basic six radiant armor skins (i.e. minus the back piece) might be do-able. If the game survives for three or four more years. Crossing my fingers ...

@Daddicus.6128 said:This highest person EVER has hit just over 41,000. To do that, s/he had to be playing the whole time the game has been out, and had to be doing so at the top level of gamesmanship. All modes, top of the line, everything.

I have little chance. I've played since the beginning, but I'm simply too old to play at that kind of level of play. I really wanted all of the radiant armor skins, but facts are facts: if the best player in the history of the game just got to it last year, I have no chance. But, I am close to 30,000, so getting the basic six radiant armor skins (i.e. minus the back piece) might be do-able. If the game survives for three or four more years. Crossing my fingers ...

Very little AP is really locked behind skill-based achievements tho. It's mostly about the grind . . .

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

I have more than the 13k now. I have over 16k since this post.And I am still working at it, no where near as hard as I did when I made this post.I work every festival with as many achievements as I can muster, I work every story and try and get all possible achievements from them, I work every slayer achievement when I get close enough to them, etc.I have more than you as of you making your post, so I am clearly working at it.Dailies are a huge thing, so if you do your dailies, it is likely why you are earning AP.Because of how much time I sink into this game, I also burn out until a point where I don't earn my dailies as frequently as others and I recognize that it is a huge downfall but I like to play the game and not just log in once to complete some stuff for ten minutes out of some sort of mindless obligation and so I miss out on dailies during my burn out periods.I still feel like I should be closer by now, but considering there is so much more consistent and nice reward for dailies, I'll never be as far as I would like to be.Logging in for 10 minutes to do your dailies gets you such a nice amount of AP that I have been awarded for doing a collection. Dailies that people can do without even realizing or without having to go too far out of their way to do, should not reward as much as achievements that you most often have to go out of your way to complete.I should feel a little more rewarded for certain achievements, that's just the way it is.

Do be aware, Daily APs are capped at 15,000 for Dailies (and retired Monthlies). Thus, many long-time players no longer receive APs for Dailies.

@"Daddicus.6128" said:This highest person EVER has hit just over 41,000. To do that, s/he had to be playing the whole time the game has been out, and had to be doing so at the top level of gamesmanship. All modes, top of the line, everything.

Shocking... do keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 launched with 6594 Achievement Points in August 2012, also remember that many of the achievement rewards weren't available for a very long time. The Radiant/Hellfire backgruards were added in late 2015, the achievement rewards aren't set in stone, they are an evolving reward system with no actual "limit" or end.

@"hellsqueen.3045" said:I think it is less "these people have more than me"And more "I can never access all the things that they have had access too"

I was born too late to catch Elvis live. Should I complain to the Presley estate that other people who were born before me had the possibility to see him live?

@darksome.1697 said:

@"hellsqueen.3045" said:I think it is less "these people have more than me"And more "I can never access all the things that they have had access too"

I was born too late to catch Elvis live. Should I complain to the Presley estate that other people who were born before me had the possibility to see him live?

Yes you should and also sue them to get compensation.

@Gop.8713 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:This highest person EVER has hit just over 41,000. To do that, s/he had to be playing the whole time the game has been out, and had to be doing so at the top level of gamesmanship. All modes, top of the line, everything.

Very little AP is really locked behind skill-based achievements tho. It's mostly about the grind . . .

While your statement is partly true, the grind itself is a problem, because I can't keep doing it at the level some folks do. I've played the game averaging a little more than four hours a day since inception. Yet, I'm only a little over 28,000 AP.

It's not just skill (i.e. hand-eye coordination) I'm short on. Even at four hours a day, I still don't make anywhere near the amount of progress needed.

My issue is mainly with the decrease in reward for time put in.From what I personally remember from doing old events and LW s1 achievments, is that you'd do something that took little effort you got 5-10 points, a lot of effort (like a meta) 25 points. Now you put in the same effort, and get 1-3 points, or 10 for a lot of effort. It's just less and less worth it.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

While your statement is partly true, the grind itself is a problem, because I can't keep doing it at the level some folks do. I've played the game averaging a little more than four hours a day since inception. Yet, I'm only a little over 28,000 AP.

It's not just skill (i.e. hand-eye coordination) I'm short on. Even at four hours a day, I still don't make anywhere near the amount of progress needed.

Fair enough but still, 28k is a lot to most ppl I would think . . .

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Do be aware, Daily APs are capped at 15,000 for Dailies (and retired Monthlies). Thus, many long-time players no longer receive APs for Dailies.

Yeah, but that is still a huge chunk of AP, that's basically half of what you need, but it takes a long time (and that's okay). And I don't really mind that the Monthlies are gone and I never got them.

I don't mind the longer players are ahead on festival rewards and whatever.

It is solely just that they have LWS1. It is a piece of story, something I genuinely should be able to access and do.

You know for current events, they aren't very current and yet still in the game. Oh that's right, once no longer current, they were given their own category because removing content that has the ability to contribute to the story shouldn't really be taken away. So realistically, LWS1 shouldn't be gone and while I understand that the design at the time was different to how we get LW now, might I suggest that LWS1 live events be accessible in their own instances, similar to the HOT prologue, where you could see anyone doing the prologue but you were in a closed off reality.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:It is solely just that they have LWS1. It is a piece of story, something I genuinely should be able to access and do.Not having access to all parts of the story is a different issue, completely separate to the one you brought up in this thread. It has nothing to do with achievement points.

And no, bringing LS1 isn;t as simple as making some instances, most of the stuff was designed not only for open world maps, but for open world maps with full player population. You'd have to redesign everything anyway.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:It is solely just that they have LWS1. It is a piece of story, something I genuinely should be able to access and do.

Keep in mind that S1 releases were overwriting each other. Even in the historical achievements tab you will find them all combined in one, the earlier episodes of a given release are not simply in a trash can, they do not exist in that original form anymore. To add the entirety of S1 back to the game would mean re-creating it from scratch and I think they have better ways of spending their resources.

To be fair, certain parts of S1 could come back, like the instances for Rox and Braham at the first release. The first pair introduces the characters, so future players know who Rox and Braham are when they encounter them in the story, and the second pair is some small story instances were you fight molten alliance enemies. I think the reason they aren't bringing those back is because if they do, the dream of having the entire S1 back, will be gone forever. Eventually they might though, now that we deal with Braham a lot it would make sense to see how we first met him.

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

Fair enough but still, 28k is a lot to most ppl I would think . . .

Yeah, you're right. As a third-string player, I do have one thing that helps: persistence. I don't really mind "grinding", as long as it's fun. Most of the time, "grinding" in GW simply means spending time playing the game. I can play wherever I wants and do whatever I want. (As opposed to spending long periods doing the same activity over and over again.)

So, there's hope. If the game survives long enough, I'll get to 33k. Because I won't quit playing.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@hellsqueen.3045 said:It is solely just that they have LWS1. It is a piece of story, something I genuinely should be able to access and do.Not having access to all parts of the
story
is a different issue, completely separate to the one you brought up in this thread. It has nothing to do with achievement points.

And no, bringing LS1 isn;t as simple as making some instances, most of the stuff was designed not only for open world maps, but for open world maps
with full player population
. You'd have to redesign everything anyway.

I mean it does, when I made this post they hadn't introduced back all of the festivals that were missing (eg. Dragon Bash) came back after I made this post, so now I can earn AP from the achievements there which is something I couldn't do before!

Now it is mostly down to the handful of achievements that belong to LWS1 that I don't have access to.It's a big deal that they bring it back. Even if it only instances that long enough to tie the story together because it's a big joke to think that cut scene they give you helps you make sense of anything going on between core story and LWS2.I would even pay for it if they released it, like I did for LWS2 because I wasn't there when it originally dropped.

I am desperate to know how I met the people we have now.There is a portion of story that will never entirely make sense to me because I am missing LWS1.I have watched the Youtube LWS1 movie and it still didn't make enough sense to me when told to me like that.I am missing something important and it also means I am missing out on various rewards and AP.It's not good, and this should have been worked on.

@"hellsqueen.3045" said:I hunt achievements quite frequently. I work my kitten off for them because I am desperate to at least get as many armor skins as I can.I have only been playing for just over 3 years now and I only have just under 13k achievement points, this means I am not even halfway to my first chest piece.There is a lot of content missing from the game that used to award tons of achievements points, with LWS1 gone, there is a huge set of AP that players do not get to earn.This post on reddit a year ago and some top comments on it, cover fairly well some of the issues, especially for newcomers.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone close to the the 60,000 AP reward.I have barely seen people at 30k and those people were long term players who have played everything there is.I can't see it being a realistic goal for me to reach that many points, no matter how much I farm for AP.

GW2 needs to put some carrots super far off in the distance and lock you behind time-gates and removed content so that they can delude you into thinking that its worthwhile to grind for them.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

@hellsqueen.3045 said:It is solely just that they have LWS1. It is a piece of story, something I genuinely should be able to access and do.Not having access to all parts of the
story
is a different issue, completely separate to the one you brought up in this thread. It has nothing to do with achievement points.

And no, bringing LS1 isn;t as simple as making some instances, most of the stuff was designed not only for open world maps, but for open world maps
with full player population
. You'd have to redesign everything anyway.

I mean it does, when I made this post they hadn't introduced back all of the festivals that were missing (eg. Dragon Bash) came back after I made this post, so now I can earn AP from the achievements there which is something I couldn't do before!

Now it is mostly down to the handful of achievements that belong to LWS1 that I don't have access to.It's a big deal that they bring it back. Even if it only instances that long enough to tie the story together because it's a big joke to think that cut scene they give you helps you make sense of anything going on between core story and LWS2.I would even pay for it if they released it, like I did for LWS2 because I wasn't there when it originally dropped.

I am desperate to know how I met the people we have now.There is a portion of story that will never entirely make sense to me because I am missing LWS1.I have watched the Youtube LWS1 movie and it still didn't make enough sense to me when told to me like that.I am missing something important and it also means I am missing out on various rewards and AP.It's not good, and this should have been worked on.I did not say that not having access to LS1 story was not an issue. I said, it was a
separate
issue, not tied to what you initially were saying. Even if they were to bring it back, for storyline reasons, you can be sure that most of the achievements would
not
be coming back (as they were tied to things that would probably need to be skipped, or changed so much that they'd be in reality completely new things, so giving the same achievements for them, instead of new ones, would be weird). And it's only the APs you seemed to be originally interested in - you started mentioning story only much later, when it was pointed to you that not having access to a number of historical achievements does not lock you out of any rewards, it just delays you getting them.

And as for holidays, it doesn't really work like you think it does - when they made the holiday achievements stay the same, instead of us getting copies of them every new year, they reached only a year back (and sometimes not even that). Earlier holiday achievements, from the time before they made that change, still exist, still give APs, and are still not accessible anymore to new players. If you haven't done the first year Halloween holiday achievements, for example, you have no way of getting them back. The Dragon bash achievements you mentioned? Those are new ones, you still have no access to original ones.So, i'm quite sure that if LS1 was reintroduced in some new form, the same thing would happen - we'd get some new set of achievements for it, but the old, original ones would still remain inaccessible.

@"hellsqueen.3045" said:it also means I am missing out on various rewards and AP.It's not good, and this should have been worked on.As mentioned above, you are missing out on a grand total of 2091 ap by not having been here during seaon 1. That's about 5% of the total ap of the player that has the most ap right now, and less than 10% of what I've accumulated in 7 years simply playing casually (I can honestly say I all but ignore achievements) but across all game modes (my main account sits at 32k ap at the moment and is also "missing" several season 1 achievements). I'm sorry to repeat what others have said before me, but the unavailable ap from season 1 really is a non-issue.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"hellsqueen.3045" said:it also means I am missing out on various rewards and AP.It's not good, and this should have been worked on.As mentioned above, you are missing out on a grand total of 2091 ap by not having been here during seaon 1. That's about 5% of the total ap of the player that has the most ap right now, and less than 10% of what I've accumulated in 7 years simply playing casually (I can honestly say I all but ignore achievements) but across all game modes (my main account sits at 32k ap at the moment and is also "missing" several season 1 achievements). I'm sorry to repeat what others have said before me, but the unavailable ap from season 1 really is a non-issue.

As much as i want season 1 back, i agree. The AP is a non issue, the missing -story- on the other hand is, but thats another thread and an entirely seperate issue/broken dream/empty promise.

Also

Hellsqueen, i dunno how long youve been playing but you are 5k short of someone whos been playing for 7 years, thats not a terrible catch up rate imo.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Shocking... do keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 launched with 6594 Achievement Points in August 2012, also remember that many of the achievement rewards weren't available for a very long time. The Radiant/Hellfire backgruards were added in late 2015, the achievement rewards aren't set in stone, they are an evolving reward system with no actual "limit" or end.

If i remember correctly, GW2 launched with an infinite number of AP available, mainly because of some infinitly repeatable achievements like the salvaging one that wasnt capped on AP. I remember people posting screens with really high numbers (20k+) back then. They only capped it later when they planned to put in rewards for AP.