Is ping reduction possible?

Hi guys,Player from NZ hereWe are far far far away from NA and see a average of 250 to 300ms pings almost all the time. I have looked into fixing this and tried programmes like battleping to try and reduce it but it had only helped to keep it at a steady 200 to 250 ms which was slightly better I guess..

Any players here outside of NA with high ping like me come across a solution to reduce the ping or a subscription based app to help reduce it that actually works? I'm willing to pay... for better ping... to play this game smoother and mostly for wvw and pvp

Thanks

Its basically going to be impossible to get it any lower, the reason being that due to the (kind of bad) state of the world inbetween NZ and NA, there's not alot of traffic going across land, almost all of your traffic is going across the ocean floor.

The only way to get a lower ping is to play on SEA servers, and ArenaNet doesn't have those outside of the China.

Your ping value can depend on a few different elements but phyiscal distance between your location and the server location is one of the main ones. There could also be issues with your Internet Provider and that can be fixed if it is on their end or you can switch providers. But you cannot get around the distance. Considering you are in NZ and the servers of games tend to be in the US and EU, you're basically screwed and 200-300 is about as good as it gets I'm afraid.

The Oceanic region is like being part of the Western world outside of the Western world and is too small market to have servers there for most games. I know GW2 was also marketed in China but not sure if that's gonna help you. But 200-300 ping is as good as it's gonna get I fear as long as you're dependent on US/EU servers simply due to physical distance.

@"Westenev.5289" said:You can:

A) Move to America. (You did mention you were willing to pay...)

B) Petition for OCE servers. (This option will get you a lot of flak on these forums)

C) Continue to play in 250-400 ping hell with the rest of the "non existant" Au and Nz playerbase.

Hey hey come on now, au/nz actually has a fair amount of players in this game :tongue:

@Linken.6345 said:Not enough for 3 way wvw server cluster, spvp ques would be quite long aswell, I guess metas each would be done afew times each day?

If that was a question for me,Yeah wvw I struggle to find players playing in my timezone but hopefully the relink fixes that..Pvp I have no issues getting into, queue is usually 30 sec-2mins and no... I'm well and truly over the easy pve content...since years ago

@DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Not enough for 3 way wvw server cluster, spvp ques would be quite long aswell, I guess metas each would be done afew times each day?

If that was a question for me,Yeah wvw I struggle to find players playing in my timezone but hopefully the relink fixes that..Pvp I have no issues getting into, queue is usually 30 sec-2mins and no... I'm well and truly over the easy pve content...since years ago

Yea now you do but if they made a oce server you wouldent find spvp teams that quickly I guess?

You understand that you would be cut of from na just as eu and na cant interact in wvw, pve and spvp right?

@Linken.6345 said:

Yea now you do but if they made a oce server you wouldent find spvp teams that quickly I guess?

You understand that you would be cut of from na just as eu and na cant interact in wvw, pve and spvp right?

Yeap that's right so it will fix the ping but it's not what I would want either.. not asking for a new server to be made though just wanted to see if there was a way around getting ping down but looks like I'm stuck with the ol 250

@DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

We are far far far away from NA and see a average of 250 to 300ms pings almost all the time. I have looked into fixing this and tried programmes like battleping to try and reduce it but it had only helped to keep it at a steady 200 to 250 ms which was slightly better I guess..

Speed of light is a hard limit, I fear, and may not be transgressed without FTL technology we don't have yet.

• 1 year later...

Im from Malaysia and we have the same issue here as well, except its probably a lot worse since Malaysia's internet service is kind of bad. 280-300+ ping with the occasional spikes to 700-900-2000+. Its unfortunate because PvP is my favorite mode and those spikes really make it unplayable. Using a VPN really doesn't change much, best advice I can give to you is to learn to adapt to the ping, your reactions won't be enough, you have to anticipate. For PvE its really not that much of an issue I guess? I do Fractals and CM's just fine, as well as raids.