Q? What is the correct pronounciation of 'Bjora Marches'?

KGUN.8374

@"Arden.7480" said:One of the devs during the recent guild chat pronounced it with 'b'.

Some people pronounce it with 'b' silent, so it depends, either way it's obvious reference to Jora, so I guess it's not a big deal.

This is one of the very few areas with its name unchanged from GW1. It's pronounced "Byora" (definitely said with a hard B, soft/silent J, as if saying 'yes') if we're going by Nordic tongue, which is what most of the Shiverpeaks seems to be most closely related to.

Also, because of the above point, it was added at the same time in the sequence of lore that Jora was, so I very highly doubt that it's named after her. The original GW wiki says nothing about her, and Jora hadn't yet established her legend; the most influencial thing she did in EotN, was kill her corrupted brother, Svanir. Her legend's strength grew long after GW1 was done.

@Arden.7480 said:One of the devs during the recent guild chat pronounced it with 'b'.

Some people pronounce it with 'b' silent, so it depends, either way it's obvious reference to Jora, so I guess it's not a big deal.

It is not a reference to Jora at all - the map existed in gw1

B-yora is likely correct but most just pronounce what they see and go with b-jora

If we go with norse pronunciation, I think it would be pronounced "b-yora". J's are treated akin to y's in norse, and the b would be said akin to the b in "boy". Best way to see would be if there's spoken dialogue in-game, but I would expect it'd be pronounced "bjora" that way, since ANet devs aren't as focused on non-English pronunciation as they once were.

@Valandil Dragonhart.2371 said:and Jora hadn't yet established her legend; the most influencial thing she did in EotN, was kill her corrupted brother, Svanir. Her legend's strength grew long after GW1 was done.

And Bjora Marches was named such before Jora killed her brother. However, Bjora Marches is where Jora's homestead was located (which is where Jora's Keep was built). So there is a curious relation presented despite Jora's lack-of-legend in GW1.

• 11 months later...

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:If we go with norse pronunciation, I think it would be pronounced "b-yora". J's are treated akin to y's in norse, and the b would be said akin to the b in "boy". Best way to see would be if there's spoken dialogue in-game, but I would expect it'd be pronounced "bjora" that way, since ANet devs aren't as focused on non-English pronunciation as they once were.

@Valandil Dragonhart.2371 said:and Jora hadn't yet established her legend; the most influencial thing she did in EotN, was kill her corrupted brother, Svanir. Her legend's strength grew long after GW1 was done.

And Bjora Marches was named such before Jora killed her brother. However, Bjora Marches is where Jora's homestead was located (which is where Jora's Keep was built). So there
is
a curious relation presented despite Jora's lack-of-legend in GW1.

Speaking of the “as they once were” part, I really appreciate the old lore Ree Soesbee wrote. I guess she left for new challenges?

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:If we go with norse pronunciation, I think it would be pronounced "b-yora". J's are treated akin to y's in norse, and the b would be said akin to the b in "boy". Best way to see would be if there's spoken dialogue in-game, but I would expect it'd be pronounced "bjora" that way, since ANet devs aren't as focused on non-English pronunciation as they once were.

And Bjora Marches was named such before Jora killed her brother. However, Bjora Marches is where Jora's homestead was located (which is where Jora's Keep was built). So there
is

Jora could have been named after the marches, I suppose.

@Tyson.5160 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:If we go with norse pronunciation, I
think
it would be pronounced "b-yora". J's are treated akin to y's in norse, and the b would be said akin to the b in "boy". Best way to see would be if there's spoken dialogue in-game, but I would expect it'd be pronounced "bjora" that way, since ANet devs aren't as focused on non-English pronunciation as

is

Jora could have been named after the marches, I suppose.

My thoughts as well.