Drakkar Lake

Randulf.7614

I am confused about the location of Drakkar Lake in this episode.

The POI for Silfhalla is to the far west of this map and in GW1, Silfhalla was NE of Drakkar Lake. So does that mean the fractured lake seen here is not related to the GW1 lake (it''s certainly a lot smaller)? And that Drakkar's Lake is either off map under the ice/glacier or at The Den of Whispers?

@foozlesprite.8051 said:I got the impression that the majority of the lake proper is still to the west where it used to be, and that Drakkar has tunneled toward Bjora under the ice. That would explain Sifhalla's position as well as the wide expanse of ice/water still seen to the west past Bjora.

Considering Drakkar was originally supposed to be Jormag (dating as far back as GW1), it's not too far-fetched that Jormag's current base of operations is in the middle of the former Drakkar Lake.

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

@foozlesprite.8051 said:I got the impression that the majority of the lake proper is still to the west where it used to be, and that Drakkar has tunneled toward Bjora under the ice. That would explain Sifhalla's position as well as the wide expanse of ice/water still seen to the west past Bjora.

Considering Drakkar was originally supposed to be Jormag (dating as far back as GW1), it's not too far-fetched that Jormag's current base of operations is in the middle of the former Drakkar Lake.

In ls3, Jormag was camped near Bitterfrost as per npc dialogue so it’s likely still down there since it continues to sleep right now

@Randulf.7614 said:

In ls3, Jormag was camped near Bitterfrost as per npc dialogue so it’s likely still down there since it continues to sleep right now

Doubt it. Primordus very clearly retreated away from his current chosen spot (as per the LS3 finale). I'd expect both dragons not to fall asleep on their back as the magical kawabunga happened. To boot, Drakkar Lake is almost directly north from Bitterfrost.

Again, pure speculation. But I'm thinking what'd be 'logical' and 'coolest' thematics-wise as per devs' POV.

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

Doubt it. Primordus very clearly retreated away from his current chosen spot (as per the LS3 finale). I'd expect both dragons not to fall asleep on their back as the magical kawabunga happened. To boot, Drakkar Lake is almost directly north from Bitterfrost.

Again, pure speculation. But I'm thinking what'd be 'logical' and 'coolest' thematics-wise as per devs' POV.

Well we know Jormag was near bitterfrost and we know Braham watched it sink into the ice where it was and sent to sleep on the spot. Those are both definites. It is possible it was either by the cold area of bitterfrost or the large glacial area marked as water south of Drakkar Lake.

So, northwest of Eye of the North then? I was wondering too and it seems like that giant watery area is where Jormag is. With some of the teasers for this season at PAX I wondered if we wouldn't be kind of going around in a circle around the area unlocking different maps. Like, maybe next map we go south from where we are now and see some new open world sun's refuge style eye of the north. Then we go west to the woodland cascades. And we just kind of go around.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if we just go directly to Jormag's resting area next episode, confront Bangar, and then get some new baddy to chase. I've noticed a theme of stars and time throughout these episodes. The stars part could align nicely with Jotun being from this area, and I'm kind of sad we haven't seen any Jotun or ancient Jotun civilizations.

Was really hoping we would get lore on some of the more intricate and lesser known lore of this area. We get tidbits about the spirits of the wild but they're completely focused on Braham. No Jotun lore. No origin story or background on the elder dragons, which may be coming later when we have another chat with Jormag.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:

Was really hoping we would get lore on some of the more intricate and lesser known lore of this area. We get tidbits about the spirits of the wild but they're completely focused on Braham. No Jotun lore. No origin story or background on the elder dragons, which may be coming later when we have another chat with Jormag.I don't mind it focusing on Braham some but I really hope we get Jotun lore. They were one of the races that helped defeat against the Elder Dragons before, and we seriously need to start treating "we need to deal with these dragons but we can't kill any more of them" with the seriousness it deserves. We need to be devoting resources and time to finding a way to put them to sleep again, replace them with something else like Aurene, kill them without consequences, something. Learning more about Jotun history could help with that, not to mention it's an interesting mystery in its own right.

@"Randulf.7614" said:I am confused about the location of Drakkar Lake in this episode.

The POI for Silfhalla is to the far west of this map and in GW1, Silfhalla was NE of Drakkar Lake. So does that mean the fractured lake seen here is not related to the GW1 lake (it''s certainly a lot smaller)? And that Drakkar's Lake is either off map under the ice/glacier or at The Den of Whispers?

When Jormag woke and made that four-year blizzard as they marched south, they shifted the Shiverpeaks, shattering and sinking it, so as to flood it and create that giant in-land sea we see on the world map. Drakkar Lake was consumed by this sea, as was Sifhalla, and the sea is how the kodan fled south into the Shiverpeaks from Jormag and the arctic seas. The giant ice wall and all the ice caverns is "Drakkar Lake" now, once water that the kodan sailed on to escape Jormag.

Sifhalla is "too far west" because of a literal landslide that sunk it, this is why it's beneath ice.

It would seem that ArenaNet is dubbing the entire in-land sea to be "Drakkar Lake", though I always figured it was the Sea of Desperation.

@"NorthernRedStar.3054" said:Doubt it. Primordus very clearly retreated away from his current chosen spot (as per the LS3 finale). I'd expect both dragons not to fall asleep on their back as the magical kawabunga happened. To boot, Drakkar Lake is almost directly north from Bitterfrost.

Primordus didn't retreat. It sunk into protection on the spot. Same was with Jormag - it sunk beneath the ice it was on. Which we were last told was just beyond The Bitter Cold area, in a "tundra beyond Bitterfrost Frontier" as mentioned.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:So, northwest of Eye of the North then?

It would be Southwest. Possibly "over" the Battledepths area of GW1.

https://www.thatshaman.com/tools/guide/?v=4&x=-236.6875&y=922.75&z=3

Was really hoping we would get lore on some of the more intricate and lesser known lore of this area. We get tidbits about the spirits of the wild but they're completely focused on Braham. No Jotun lore. No origin story or background on the elder dragons, which may be coming later when we have another chat with Jormag.

Was personally hoping for some lore on the dungeon structures. They're still a complete mystery about who built them, etc.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:I am confused about the location of Drakkar Lake in this episode.

When Jormag woke and made that four-year blizzard as they marched south, they shifted the Shiverpeaks, shattering and sinking it, so as to flood it and create that giant in-land sea we see on the world map. Drakkar Lake was consumed by this sea, as was Sifhalla, and the sea is how the kodan fled south into the Shiverpeaks from Jormag and the arctic seas. The giant ice wall and all the ice caverns is "Drakkar Lake" now, once water that the kodan sailed on to escape Jormag.

Sifhalla is "too far west" because of a literal landslide that sunk it, this is why it's beneath ice.

It would seem that ArenaNet is dubbing the entire in-land sea to be "Drakkar Lake", though I always figured it was the

Thank you, this makes things a bit clearer. Id have still preferred the map to show a wide open lake and glacier, but at least I can understand the relative geography a bit more now based on a better understanding of the effect the Movement of the World had

It would seem that ArenaNet is dubbing the entire in-land sea to be "Drakkar Lake", though I always figured it was the

@"NorthernRedStar.3054" said:Doubt it. Primordus very clearly retreated away from his current chosen spot (as per the LS3 finale). I'd expect both dragons not to fall asleep on their back as the magical kawabunga happened. To boot, Drakkar Lake is almost directly north from Bitterfrost.

Primordus didn't retreat. It sunk into protection on the spot. Same was with Jormag - it sunk beneath the ice it was on. Which we were last told was just beyond The Bitter Cold area, in a "tundra beyond Bitterfrost Frontier" as mentioned.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:So, northwest of Eye of the North then?

It would be Southwest. Possibly "over" the Battledepths area of GW1.

Was personally hoping for some lore on the dungeon structures. They're still a complete mystery about who built them, etc.

I'm not sure what dungeon structures you mean, but what about that area in Guild Wars 1 that had those encoded glyphs or whatever? What map was that? I only played briefly and don't think I saw it in gw1. Was it a bonus mission or something? I think it had to do with the gods maybe? Would be interesting to see if they try to tie that in somehow in a future release.

Or for that matter if they tried to tie in the voice we hear in the new Dwarven fractal, especially with how many dwarven ruins we've had added in between Thunderpeaks and this new map. The raven puzzle architecture looks dwarven to me, but why would the dwarves have built these structures around a spirit of the wild? Just asset reuse maybe?

@"cptaylor.2670" said:I'm not sure what dungeon structures you mean, but what about that area in Guild Wars 1 that had those encoded glyphs or whatever? What map was that? I only played briefly and don't think I saw it in gw1. Was it a bonus mission or something? I think it had to do with the gods maybe? Would be interesting to see if they try to tie that in somehow in a future release.

Or for that matter if they tried to tie in the voice we hear in the new Dwarven fractal, especially with how many dwarven ruins we've had added in between Thunderpeaks and this new map. The raven puzzle architecture looks dwarven to me, but why would the dwarves have built these structures around a spirit of the wild? Just asset reuse maybe?

The structures I mean were in the Far Shiverpeak dungeons, they were structures made out of ice, used in almost every dungeon. Complete unknowns, but very clearly artificially made.

As for encoded glyphs? There's dozens of glyphs, pictograms, and runes throughout the game. So... you're going to have to be far more precise. If it had to do with the gods, and the shiverpeaks, only thing I can think of would be the Path to Revelations quest chain.

The raven structures are using reskinned dwarven structure assets, yes; they're lacking some key details that mark them as dwarven. Exception being Sifhalla. They also use reskinned exalted structures and original norn structures.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:I'm not sure what dungeon structures you mean, but what about that area in Guild Wars 1 that had those encoded glyphs or whatever? What map was that? I only played briefly and don't think I saw it in gw1. Was it a bonus mission or something? I think it had to do with the gods maybe? Would be interesting to see if they try to tie that in somehow in a future release.

The structures I mean were in the Far Shiverpeak dungeons, they were structures made out of ice, used in almost every dungeon. Complete unknowns, but very clearly artificially made.

As for encoded glyphs? There's dozens of glyphs, pictograms, and runes throughout the game. So... you're going to have to be far more precise. If it had to do with the gods, and the shiverpeaks, only thing I can think of would be the Path to Revelations quest chain.

The raven structures are using reskinned dwarven structure assets, yes; they're lacking some key details that mark them as dwarven. Exception being Sifhalla. They also use reskinned exalted structures and original norn structures.

Yes, that's the correct thing. Path to Revelations. I couldn't remember where it was. Looking at That Shaman's historical guide it places it right in the middle of that giant body of water. So I'm guessing there's probably nothing left of interest there anyway.

I also didn't realize how close Bitterfrost Frontier was to Eye of the North. If Jormag is north of Bitterfrost and the Bitter Cold area then that puts him really close to Eye of the North, which without spoilers is interesting considering recent events. Were they both ultimately drawn to that area? Or just coincidence?

Oh, and actually looking at the map again - there is one chunk of landmass that looks like it could line up pretty nicely with where the Valajar stone circle is. But it's difficult with the differences between maps.

So it's still a possibility they could do something with it in a future map.

• 1 month later...

They need to stop creating new maps from almost scratch, they suck. Drakkar lake in gw1 is so much better, in every aspect : you're immersed, it feels huge and Dangerous, and graphic fits way better than gw2's. Damn it ANET stop pushing stupid maps for the sake of it. And add more gw1 soundtracks in it

@"Morgan.4381" said:They need to stop creating new maps from almost scratch, they suck. Drakkar lake in gw1 is so much better, in every aspect : you're immersed, it feels huge and Dangerous, and graphic fits way better than gw2's. kitten it ANET stop pushing stupid maps for the sake of it. And add more gw1 soundtracks in it

I assume you have no idea why they aren't "adding more GW1 soundtracks" as you so aptly put it. The rest is just as clumsy, and doesn't reflect the majority's opinion, thankfully.

The Kodan in Still Waters mention in their dialogue how Elder Dragons change the land. Hence the differences of Drakkar Lake between GW1 and GW2. Though it is a little strange that the Norn don't seem to acknowledge the changes, considering how prominent Drakkar Lake is in their legends. I mean, we all know the Norn generally tend to be literal-minded -- it's a frozen lake and Drakkar is in it, so they call it Drakkar Lake, whether the maps actually still match or not. But still, it's a little weird.

I've been wondering the same, then I decided to refresh my memory from GW1 by looking at GW1 Map.It would appear that they just connected Bjora Marches and Jaga Moraine, while leaving the REAL Drakkar Lake still covered/unexplored.Looking at where Sifhalla is, it's clear that we're not seeing the real Drakkar Lake map.

Here's the map:This is GW1 map of Bjora Marches, Jaga Moraine and location of Sifhalla and Drakkar.1000px-Far_Shiverpeaks_map.jpg

This is GW2 map of Bjora Marches, with marked location of Sifhalla.gw617.jpg

Honestly, it's confusing me. A lot seems to be changed and sometimes I really have a hard time connecting and recognizing some locations.From what I'm seeing here, a lot of map is sooooo different and doesn't really match with former.

@"Blur.3465" said:I've been wondering the same, then I decided to refresh my memory from GW1 by looking at GW1 Map.It would appear that they just connected Bjora Marches and Jaga Moraine, while leaving the REAL Drakkar Lake still covered/unexplored.Looking at where Sifhalla is, it's clear that we're not seeing the real Drakkar Lake map.

Here's the map:This is GW1 map of Bjora Marches, Jaga Moraine and location of Sifhalla and Drakkar.1000px-Far_Shiverpeaks_map.jpg

This is GW2 map of Bjora Marches, with marked location of Sifhalla.gw617.jpg

Honestly, it's confusing me. A lot seems to be changed and sometimes I really have a hard time connecting and recognizing some locations.From what I'm seeing here, a lot of map is sooooo different and doesn't really match with former.

And the end of episode 2 the place where you fight Drakkar is close to where he was in Gw1. It’s in a weird off map position, but you can see it’s further south of that location.

@Tyson.5160 said:

@"Blur.3465" said:I've been wondering the same, then I decided to refresh my memory from GW1 by looking at GW1 Map.It would appear that they just connected Bjora Marches and Jaga Moraine, while leaving the REAL Drakkar Lake still covered/unexplored.Looking at where Sifhalla is, it's clear that we're not seeing the real Drakkar Lake map.

Here's the map:This is GW1 map of Bjora Marches, Jaga Moraine and location of Sifhalla and Drakkar.
1000px-Far_Shiverpeaks_map.jpg

This is GW2 map of Bjora Marches, with marked location of Sifhalla.
gw617.jpg

And the end of episode 2 the place where you fight Drakkar is close to where he was in Gw1. It’s in a weird off map position, but you can see it’s further south of that location.

Aye I saw that, but it's definitely weird. Really hard to recognize some locations seeing how much they got changed.I'm still annoyed we didn't get to see a proper 'lake fight' and some of those good ol' GW1 memories that tied us to this zone :/ had a hard time figuring out that Bjora Marches is connected to Jaga Moraine here until I noticed the location of Sifhalla.

@Blur.3465 said:

@Blur.3465 said:I've been wondering the same, then I decided to refresh my memory from GW1 by looking at GW1 Map.It would appear that they just connected Bjora Marches and Jaga Moraine, while leaving the REAL Drakkar Lake still covered/unexplored.Looking at where Sifhalla is, it's clear that we're not seeing the real Drakkar Lake map.

Here's the map:This is GW1 map of Bjora Marches, Jaga Moraine and location of Sifhalla and Drakkar.

gw617.jpg

Aye I saw that, but it's definitely weird. Really hard to recognize some locations seeing how much they got changed.I'm still annoyed we didn't get to see a proper 'lake fight' and some of those good ol' GW1 memories that tied us to this zone :/ had a hard time figuring out that Bjora Marches is connected to Jaga Moraine here until I noticed the location of Sifhalla.

Not sure if you know of this or not, but That Shaman has a historical Gw map that shows the Gw1 maps over layed on top the current Gw2 maps. I’ll leave a link it’s a very fascinating page.

https://www.thatshaman.com/tools/guide/?v=4&x=-109&y=946&z=3

@Tyson.5160 said:

@Blur.3465 said:I've been wondering the same, then I decided to refresh my memory from GW1 by looking at GW1 Map.It would appear that they just connected Bjora Marches and Jaga Moraine, while leaving the REAL Drakkar Lake still covered/unexplored.Looking at where Sifhalla is, it's clear that we're not seeing the real Drakkar Lake map.

gw617.jpg

Not sure if you know of this or not, but That Shaman has a historical Gw map that shows the Gw1 maps over layed on top the current Gw2 maps. I’ll leave a link it’s a very fascinating page.

Ooooh thank you!!! <3

EDIT:Oh wow o.o this is just amazing!!! Deary me. Thanks to the person who did this!

@Tyson.5160 said:

gw617.jpg

The most important thing of note on there...is that rabbit hole is under many feet of ice! No more tricks from you Mr Rabbit!