GW1 Classic/Remake

Well, Guild Wars 1 is still playable, and they did enhance the visuals a bit and added in some graphical features. I do jump into that game from time to time. It still holds up great. Although, going from space bar jumping to space bar "auto attack" throws me off now.

Really doesn't need a remake. For a game that came out in 2005, I think it's still pretty visually stunning.

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@"zityz.6089" said:Although, going from space bar jumping to space bar "auto attack" throws me off now.

pretty much the experience from other western mmos, took me a while to get used to when i starting playing after quiting wow

If you two get annoyed by clicking things and the game trying to autorun/attack on you when you just wanted to select it, know that you can hold shift to suppress action.

Took me 10 years to learn that rofl.

@Justine.6351 said:

@"zityz.6089" said:Although, going from space bar jumping to space bar "auto attack" throws me off now.

pretty much the experience from other western mmos, took me a while to get used to when i starting playing after quiting wow

If you two get annoyed by clicking things and the game trying to autorun/attack on you when you just wanted to select it, know that you can hold shift to suppress action.

holy SHIT! just learning something new, and i aint being sarcastic

i use the tab key for enemies

@crepuscular.9047 said:

holy kitten! just learning something new, and i aint being sarcastic

yeah i dont have tab to cycle through targets, i have only tab for closest enemy, q for closest interactable and alt for closest ally. I never was a tab cycle type person. Shift key suppressing action was such an amazing learn.

There's no point in a WoW-style "classic" release given nothing was really taken away from GW1 (I mean, maybe the pre-power creep experience, but... eh...). A remake would at least make a difference, but I'm not sure I'd want that either. There are things about GW1's story that didn't age all that well, or that were a little hokey even back at the time... I'm not sure I'd look forward to reliving Shiro's existential angst. There's only so much that better voice acting and animation can save. ;)

Something I could get behind is a more "back to the roots" adaptation of Guild Wars... take the deck-building aspects people liked so much, combine them with a more modern control scheme and game engine, and use that to tell new stories in the GW universe. Or maybe explore old stories from angles we didn't see. Any era you want. Whatever suits.And it would be a gross oversight not to try to build a great competitive game out of it, of course. Nothing inherently prevents a GW reboot being as good a spectator sport as DotA or Overwatch.

There are a dozen issues here. The first is that GW1 is not deserted. It is still played by many players and they enjoy it as it is. Would you want a copy of it? or want them to port over to the new classic?

The second issue is what to keep and what to take from GW2. Many people like and dislike changes that GW2 brought.The third issue is the concept of the world. should it be instanced or be open world. The later would require a very big redesign.Even further would be the difficulty to port the graphics. GW2 engine is significant different and this is visable by looking at redesigned area's from GW1The last issue is how much revenue it would create and how much development it would require.

All in all, I see too little need for it and too much hassle to make it worht the effort.

As I understand it the appeal of World of Warcraft Classic is that expansions to WoW not only added content and features but removed or fundamentally changed existing areas, and I've heard that the game mechanics either make it literally impossible for higher level characters to play in low level areas or made it useless (no XP, no drops or something similar). So going back to the game as it was when it first came out was a big change.

That's not the case with GW1. The game is still online and playable in pretty much the same state as it was in 2012 (with some minor updates and bug fixes) and apart from balancing skills none of the updates and expansions changed or removed anything which came before. If you wanted to play Prophecies as it was at release basically all you'd need to do is make a character starting in that campaign and avoid going to Factions or Nightfall areas. So I don't think there's any need to remake or release it. I suppose Anet could do it as a marketing gimmick - re-brand GW1 as 'Guild Wars Classic' to get some sales out of the people who seem to think MMO re-releases are the new big thing, but it wouldn't need a new version or separate servers.

(It's pretty much the same with GW2. There would be some changes - Kessex Hills and Lions Arch would look different, no gliding, no mounts, only one level 80 map, no story after beating Zhaitan, only getting precursors by RNG etc. but I don't think you'd really gain anything by doing that, just lose a lot of content and features.)

You can't port GW1 into GW2 100%. Different engine, different classes, combat system, dodge, swimming, jumping, mounts, open world vs private instances ...

You can't port game mechanics. And why even bother as GW1 still works.

But you could port "story", "lore". Not game mechanics stuff, just GW1 main story line.

I would not be interested in "level from 1 to 20" (or 80) or "bring me 5 bear pelts and I give you new skill". Blah.

I would be into story. Like:

• when my char hits level 80, and I finish core story (so Im commander),
  • some azura geek sends me a message that an old gate has been found
  • when it was activated, they found out, that its "time shifted". It teleports you in space, but also in time. Like 200+ years back in time
  • note: time travel rules are based on Avengers:Endgame not on Back to the Future. When you travel back, you travel into alternate reality. You can't change your own timeline
  • your mission, should you accept it, is to explore whats on the other side

@Justine.6351 said:

yeah i dont have tab to cycle through targets, i have only tab for closest enemy, q for closest interactable and alt for closest ally. I never was a tab cycle type person. Shift key suppressing action was such an amazing learn.

you dont cycle? to me i felt it is imperative to be able to tab cycle, allows closer inspection of the group make up and focus fire to take out the monks, rits, and eles quickly, especially behind a wall

@crepuscular.9047 said:

you dont cycle? to me i felt it is imperative to be able to tab cycle, allows closer inspection of the group make up and focus fire to take out the monks, rits, and eles quickly, especially behind a wall

Damn I am pathetic, I know all the mob names and classes rofl.

I still play GW1 occasionally.Not as often now, but still like going for skill and title completion.PvP in Jade Quary, or spend hours trying out new build combinations; such as Necro/Derv .I wouldn't remake it entirely, but rather add a few things from GW2 into it, such as a trading post, the dye system, and other QoL things.I really would like the action camera feature GW2 has.It would saved me from having to press the right mouse button everytime.Oh, and the custom music playlists too.

@"Danikat.8537" said:

(It's pretty much the same with GW2. There would be some changes - Kessex Hills and Lions Arch would look different, no gliding, no mounts, only one level 80 map, no story after beating Zhaitan, only getting precursors by RNG etc. but I don't think you'd really gain anything by doing that, just lose a lot of content and features.)

I've gotta disagree with you here. Vanilla GW2 played incredibly different (and many would argue superior) to current GW2 when it comes to sPvP and WvW. What I would honestly love would be for Anet to release "World vs World Classic" as its own entity. Let players port over their skins and trinkets, but take the combat/balance back to the way it was just before the trait system change (which was a while before HoT). Sure, some of the balance needed tuning, but overall I feel it was much better than it currently is. There was far less ability to defend while attacking, and the combat involved far less spam. Dealing lethal damage required more thought and timing than it currently does, which made it easier for good players/groups to fight outnumbered. those were the days of open field 5v30 and 1v6. With the current combat, its too easy for bad players to spam out high damage attacks, which means that proper timing just isn't as important and players aren't rewarded as much for playing well. Don't get me wrong, there is still a great degree of skill involved in the combat, but its a shell of its former self. The only thing from current GW2 I prefer is the mobility creep. Its fun to go fast.

• 2 months later...

I logged on to Gw1 2 days ago after 6 years since logon. I have to say I loved it, they have done a great job with the graphics. Logged onto GW2 to try to finish my ascended armor on my Necro character and it just felt boring...GW1 is not that huge zerg fest that Gw2 has become. I will be playing more Gw1 than Gw2 for a while I think. Kamadan (Nightfall) is packed with players. They all have titles so I think they are older players. I will still dabble in Gw2 but Gw1 will keep me and a few friends happy until whatever comes next.

I'd rather they made a new xpac for GW1 than a remake, it still looks fine graphic wise perhaps not in Tyria but on Cantha (not the slums), Elona, Tarnished Coast, Charr Homelands it still looks gorgeous.

Izzy talked a few days ago about Utopia on reddit and kitten! Summoner and Chronomancer seemed to be an absolute blast to play with.