Are emotes an adequate reward for completing meta acheivements?

DarkRam.1572

@Sobx.1758 said:

@DarkRam.1572 said:Maybe for a role player these might be funi surely have no need or want for emotes as a grand prize for quite alot of hard work. it just doesnt feel sufficient or something i want to work towards.Emotes used to be added for free / no grind.

And what reward would you want instead?

Weapons.Weapon skins.Armor skins.Mount skins.

A cosmetic that I can constantly see..

I do not do achievements, but if there a really good looking skin, I may go for it. Why the fuck would I do that for a fucking emote?

I do rp, so more emotes are handy. But the main reason I said I'm happy is that almost every map meta reward skin has not suited me at all (I don't like bulky spiky stuff) and yet has involved a space-using item to tuck away until I can at least reskin it for an alt to use for stats. I've loved -some- of the skins, mind you, but if I'm going to get a reward I don't use much, I'd rather it took up no slots.

Also, somewhat contradictory to the above, I feel less time pressure to work on the meta achieve. I'll get it eventually, but I can get by without the extra emote for a while. That lets me relax in doing the map stuff.

@otto.5684 said:

@DarkRam.1572 said:Maybe for a role player these might be funi surely have no need or want for emotes as a grand prize for quite alot of hard work. it just doesnt feel sufficient or something i want to work towards.Emotes used to be added for free / no grind.

I do not do achievements, but if there a really good looking skin, I may go for it. Why the kitten would I do that for a kitten emote?

Emotes are for casuals, but armor/weapon skins aren't, oookeeeey.

If you don't do the achievements, then I don't see the problem. Also you have vastly greater choice of skins than other people have a choice of emotes. Variety is k. Claiming that everything out of your spectrum of interest shouldn't be in the game is weird. (you didn't make that claim, cool, but OP complains about them being a reward and when I asked him a question you answered, soo...)

• Confused 1

I don't think locking emotes behind achievements is something clever to do. I'd like to have the rewards back that were before or perhaps the system that was used in living story season 2. But then on the other hand, you can get ascended stuff too easy already without doing achievements. A mount skin or something like that would be nice but I doubt that will ever be implemented.

@Sobx.1758 said:

I do not do achievements, but if there a really good looking skin, I may go for it. Why the kitten would I do that for a kitten emote?

If you don't do the achievements, then I don't see the problem. Also you have vastly greater choice of skins than other people have a choice of emotes. Variety is k. Claiming that everything out of your spectrum of interest shouldn't be in the game is weird. (you didn't make that claim, cool, but OP complains about them being a reward and when I asked him a question you answered, soo...)

Variety is okay, and I am not here to tell anyone what they should like. However, in game achievements require time, and the value should be equivalent, like in real life, things have monetary value based on what they are. Do brand new cars sell for a $100? Can Anet sell the next expansion for $10,000 (if there ever to be one)? I am sure someone thinks $100 is correct value of a brand new car, as I am sure someone will be willing to be Anet $10,000 for a GW2 expansion. Needless to say, the actual value (or fair market value as the IRS would call it) is so much different.

As this thread currently stand, 62% of players do not think it is adequate.

I don't use emotes much, but then I don't use many of the meta achievement skins either so I don't mind either way. If the meta achievement reward was the only new thing we got then I'd care what it is, but we're still getting new armour skins introduced with episodes, plus weapon skins, mini pets and various other stuff. I'll make an effort to unlock the stuff I want to get, no matter how it's obtained and I'll probably unlock other stuff anyway.

Also as far as I remember these are the first emotes to be added to the game since How To Dance which if I remember correctly was released in the first year, so in a sense this is a new kind of reward we've got had before. That does risk 'diluting' the ones we already got, because the more kinds there are the less frequent each kind will be, but even so I can't help thinking more options can't be a bad thing.

To be completely honest, I find it insane that you have to do all achievements in a chapter to obtain an emote. Other chapter masteries dont require you to do all achievements to get the mastery reward. For example, to get mastery for the Whisper in the Dark, you just need 20 achievements completed and you get a Boneskinner backpack. For Bound by Blood and Shadow in the Ice, you need to complete all 37 or 57 achievements to obtain an emote. If they really want an emote as a reward, then do it for the completion of the story chapter not story achievements.

I like it a lot. I think it's a creative solution, and to me it feels like something that permanently alters my account. Unlocking a skin doesn't have the same feel to me, probably just bc of the novelty of the emotes. Note that I don't actually use the emotes or the skins much . . .

Before I read the thread I would have also expected emotes to be something ppl feel less pressure to unlock, which would cut down on some of the complaining about cheeves. But after reading the thread I guess that isn't true . . .

@otto.5684 said:

Variety is okay, and I am not here to tell anyone what they should like. However, in game achievements require time, and the value should be equivalent, like in real life, things have monetary value based on what they are. Do brand new cars sell for a $100?

Ingame achievements have nothing to do with monetary value. EVEN if the episode wasn't free. But it is. So not sure what's the point of your $100 car comparison. It seriously doesn't apply in the slightest.Also, just like you said: if you want something from the achievements, you do them. If you don't? Well, you skip it. The rewards aren't hidden, it not the gamble, so what's the issue here? If variety is good (it is), then why are you arguing against it?

Can Anet sell the next expansion for $10,000 (if there ever to be one)? I am sure someone thinks $100 is correct value of a brand new car, as I am sure someone will be willing to be Anet $10,000 for a GW2 expansion. Needless to say, the actual value (or fair market value as the IRS would call it) is so much different.

And why are you arguing the opposites while talking about the car and an expansion? Why ask about vaastly underpriced car and try to compare it to the greatly overpriced expansion (that, again doesn't even apply to this thread at all)? I'm so confused by the comparisons you chose to use.

As this thread currently stand, 62% of players do not think it is adequate.

50% actually, but I don't think it's representative anyways, so w/e. :p

• Confused 1

A lot of people rarely use emotes while playing, they could have added these emotes as part of the game and make the long achievement list be worth.I did the whole Grothmar achievements and i think i used twice the emote that was given as a reward.Arenanet did have a good idea with the wrong achievement though.. adding rewards for each tier that you've achieved (like on restored and illuminated weapons achievement), they could have implemented it on the meta achievement.

I never use emotes but as a meta reward it feels kinda unrewarding... As a normal achievement fine. For a meta achievement you want something that feels more grand... A special title, a special item, a nice skin (can also be a glider or mount one), a chair (not a standard one but one that looks good, gem store worthy chair basically), a decoration item or gather node that pops into your home instance... Something along those lines.