Trying to make world exploration challenging and fun again.

Trying to rekindle my interest in other areas of the game since PvP has given me the depression. I use to love exploring maps pre-HoT but as I've grown as a player these have become increasingly faceroll to the point I have to solo group content if I want any kind of challenge. That makes it boring when there are no challenging engagements in the world to break things up. As a lot of people do with games that have unchanging content they come up with their own challenges and thats what I'm going to try.

I'm thinking about sticking to an underpowered profession/spec and only using gear/items I pickup or can buy from karma vendors. Anyone have any ideas for me to make this challenging for myself? I'm guessing a core spec, but which? I'm thinking engi maybe. Should I put any other interesting restrictions on myself? I'm open to about any reasonable suggestion. I don't want to do anything super tedious though for the sake of challenge like "only use auto attacks" because I'm still trying to have fun with it.

Current Plan (updating as new ideas come in):

• Start with a fresh character
  • Only core
  • No armor/trinkets (?)
  • No mounts
  • No food(?)/boosters
  • Only use weapons acquired from karma vendors and level rewards
  • Adhere to a theme (pick traits/stats/skills based around that theme)
  • Use a "difficult" profession. Either engineer, theif, or elementalist (not sure which yet)

Goals:

• Level 80
  • 100% core Tyria map completion
  • Beat every dungeon (solo or with group)
  • Beat every core Tyria world boss

I actually tried something similar a little while ago. I set myself some limits like no mounts and only using dropped loot and karma items. I also used Mesmer as I remembered back at the start of gw2 it was by miles and away the slowest class to level. If I did it again, I would probably use thief. More mobile, more able to get through the 'difficult' areas and much, much more fun than core mesmer.

Good luck.

@Linebreaker.7904 said:I actually tried something similar a little while ago. I set myself some limits like no mounts and only using dropped loot and karma items. I also used Mesmer as I remembered back at the start of gw2 it was by miles and away the slowest class to level. If I did it again, I would probably use thief. More mobile, more able to get through the 'difficult' areas and much, much more fun than core mesmer.

Good luck.

You think core thief would be able to solo things though? I want to do more than just infiltrators arrow and stealth skip. I want to actually fight stuff.

My advice is try to forget everything you know about whats good or 'efficient' or recommended by anyone except you and don't use any build guides (even to find something which has been declared underpowered). Try different weapons and skills as you get them and stick with the ones you think are the most fun to use, even if you know they're not the fastest. Pick traits which add interesting effects rather than simply the strongest and when you get to get to choose stats and upgrades pick the ones that fit your theme for the character or sound like they'd be useful rather than what you know a guide would recommend. (Although equally don't stay away from things like beserker's just because it's popular.) Basically focus on what you enjoy playing over and above all other considerations.

Similarly when you're playing try to forget about completing goals. Don't worry about how quickly you can complete the map or the most efficient path, or even how to find all the secrets and events along the way. Pick a direction and head that way, then see what you can find. If something catches your attention check it out, even if you're sure it's nothing (it might be something you've forgotten or missed before), if you find yourself going somewhere totally different go with it. If someone asks for help and you feel like joining in go and do it, even if it won't help you finish the map faster.

@Pirogen.9561 said:You could make a character that uses environmental weapons. Stuff you can find on the group and/or stuff you can buy from NPC vendors like dunno frost gun.You make a good build, no special restrictions, just that you like to use weapon kit that is not from your class.

Hmm, that might actually be pretty fun on something like engi that already only has a single weapon. Are you able to move between maps with the weapons? Do you lose them on death? Can you by a bunch and store them in your inventory.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:Try leveling from 1-80 doing core world maps, and using no armor or trinkets. Its kind of like SL1 dark souls challenge runs.

This sounds like it would be a disaster. What profession would you even use for this?

Try Engineer, with the caveat that you can't use weapons either (kits, turrets and other utilities are a-okay!).

Or Just play winionmancer and afk your way to glory.

@Westenev.5289 said:

@"Paradoxoglanis.1904" said:Try leveling from 1-80 doing core world maps, and using no armor or trinkets. Its kind of like SL1 dark souls challenge runs.

This sounds like it would be a disaster. What profession would you even use for this?

Try Engineer, with the caveat that you can't use weapons either (kits, turrets and other utilities are a-okay!).

Or Just play winionmancer and afk your way to glory.

I'm liking this idea. Idk about "no weapon" though. I'd be basically giving up 5 whole skills.

@Tyncale.1629 said:

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:Try leveling from 1-80 doing core world maps, and using no armor or trinkets. Its kind of like SL1 dark souls challenge runs.

Probably fine with an old fashioned Minion necro. This actually sounds like fun.

I still want it to be challenging though haha

@Zexanima.7851 said:

It would probably be tough with any class, but I tried it briefly with thief and d/d ele for maximum challenge. For an easier time probably minion necro, ranger, or mesmer.

Do the maps in lvl order, only use level/story/map completion rewards. Obviously no boosters etc.

I'd pick a theme too as opposed to a build. Eg.Sword shield guardian defender of the weak (so res traits and shared healing/buffs, even though it's mostly useless for solo).True berserker warrior: 2 axes, no shirt (maybe no shoulders and gloves too), all damage all the time, if it doesn't give damage, u dont want it.True Necromance: staff, no shroud as that's silliness,

Or you could just never add any traits, just armor and skills!

@Thorstienn.1642 said:Do the maps in lvl order, only use level/story/map completion rewards. Obviously no boosters etc.

I'd pick a theme too as opposed to a build. Eg.Sword shield guardian defender of the weak (so res traits and shared healing/buffs, even though it's mostly useless for solo).True berserker warrior: 2 axes, no shirt (maybe no shoulders and gloves too), all damage all the time, if it doesn't give damage, u dont want it.True Necromance: staff, no shroud as that's silliness,

Or you could just never add any traits, just armor and skills!

I like the theme idea, I think I'll adapt it. I'll update what the current plan is in the OP

@Zexanima.7851 said:

That's basically I how I level normally, only bothering to equip the zerker items the personal story / level up rewards provide (I usually reach 80 in a mix of level 20-70 gear) and playing in higher level areas (I usually jump to Mount Maelstrom at level 52~55 and continue on through Orr from there, barely reaching 80 by the end). Profession/build doesn't matter; I've personally done them all as zerkers. Playing like this is basically what the original core game was like, before it was severely nerfed during beta.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@Pirogen.9561 said:You could make a character that uses environmental weapons. Stuff you can find on the group and/or stuff you can buy from NPC vendors like dunno frost gun.You make a good build, no special restrictions, just that you like to use weapon kit that is not from your class.

Hmm, that might actually be pretty fun on something like engi that already only has a single weapon. Are you able to move between maps with the weapons? Do you lose them on death? Can you by a bunch and store them in your inventory.

As far as I know, none has unlimited duration.

Some you get as part of mission (heart, event), but will continue to function even after mission ends (but not forever). Some you find on the floor. Some you can buy from NPC (you need to finish specific mission/event to flag that NPC as merchant).

This bought environmental weapons are like a food. You can buy as many as you like, but it has duration.

When going through the same crisis I went and made myself a Thief that I played as if it was a core f2p account and played with no weapon. I got bored at level 45 after unlocking second traitline, it was a different challenge for sure but something that probably wouldn't be possible anylonger since they removed thief's traps (caltrops, and 2x traps for utils, caltrops on dodge, damage on steal and use stolen items twice). Essentially the entire thing could kill 1-3 mobs every 30 seconds. Fighting veterans was a pain and required kiting around for minutes.

After I got bored of that, I instead re-rolled the thief at level 1 and played without armor, that was a lot more fun, very adrenaline rush type of gameplay, as you have to dodge absolutely everything. But ended up burned out of the game around the time I hit 45-50, and never continued on the character.

I used thief for the first experiment because they're one of the classes that has the least damage out of weapon skills, unlike say a ranger with pet and skills etc, or an engineer that could just replace the skills with a weapon-kit. For the second because thief is very good at active defenses, as long as you pay attention and play your resources right, you won't die. If you mess up you die.

@joneirikb.7506 said:When going through the same crisis I went and made myself a Thief that I played as if it was a core f2p account and played with no weapon. I got bored at level 45 after unlocking second traitline, it was a different challenge for sure but something that probably wouldn't be possible anylonger since they removed thief's traps (caltrops, and 2x traps for utils, caltrops on dodge, damage on steal and use stolen items twice). Essentially the entire thing could kill 1-3 mobs every 30 seconds. Fighting veterans was a pain and required kiting around for minutes.

After I got bored of that, I instead re-rolled the thief at level 1 and played without armor, that was a lot more fun, very adrenaline rush type of gameplay, as you have to dodge absolutely everything. But ended up burned out of the game around the time I hit 45-50, and never continued on the character.

I used thief for the first experiment because they're one of the classes that has the least damage out of weapon skills, unlike say a ranger with pet and skills etc, or an engineer that could just replace the skills with a weapon-kit. For the second because thief is very good at active defenses, as long as you pay attention and play your resources right, you won't die. If you mess up you die.

I was thinking thief but ultimately decided to go engineer since they have a wider multitude of tools for different situations. They also don't have as many evades as thief so positioning and proper kiting will be key. I won't be able to cheese my way through fights and have to think about different ways to approach it.