What's the point of having a second GW2 account?

GW Noob.6038

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:Don't see point in it. Yes, you could use the 2nd account to get more from dailies and overcome some limits on certain things. But you also could just buy gems for that money and turn them into gold directly. And 2nd account still will require additional time to manage it - time is money, so why not, again, just buy gems and turn into gold, and buy all you need from market, straight on?

28 days of logins gives 20 Mystic Coins and 55 Laurels (if choosing Plentiful Laurels).20 MC is 26 Gold55 Laurels is 33 Gold (Material bags)

59 gold costs ~200 gems.

Return on investment depends a lot on how much you pay for the account. Sure, at full price it'll take upwards of a year, but most who have extras have
not
payed full. If you can find one for ~$10 you're out of the red after only 3 months.

This is of course not counting any easy dailies, opportunities like the current festival, etc. Anytime a new desireable and tradeable thing using Charged Quartz is added (like the Skyscale food), having an extra account to charge on is pretty lucrative.

You calculations don't include the fact that you must follow that chore of logging in every day, at least to just collect these pointless digital tokens with monthly total equivalent to a real cash worth of a mug of beer. Or you could just toss Anet a coin, buy the gold and log in only when you want to play a game - and actually play it, without any boring grind to earn some gold.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:Don't see point in it. Yes, you could use the 2nd account to get more from dailies and overcome some limits on certain things. But you also could just buy gems for that money and turn them into gold directly. And 2nd account still will require additional time to manage it - time is money, so why not, again, just buy gems and turn into gold, and buy all you need from market, straight on?

28 days of logins gives 20 Mystic Coins and 55 Laurels (if choosing Plentiful Laurels).20 MC is 26 Gold55 Laurels is 33 Gold (Material bags)

59 gold costs ~200 gems.

Return on investment depends a lot on how much you pay for the account. Sure, at full price it'll take upwards of a year, but most who have extras have
not
payed full. If you can find one for ~$10 you're out of the red after only 3 months.

This is of course not counting any easy dailies, opportunities like the current festival, etc. Anytime a new desireable and tradeable thing using Charged Quartz is added (like the Skyscale food), having an extra account to charge on is pretty lucrative.

You calculations don't include the fact that you must follow that chore of logging in every day, at least to just collect these pointless digital tokens with monthly total equivalent to a real cash worth of a mug of beer. Or you could just toss Anet a coin, buy the gold and log in only when you want to play a game - and actually play it, without any boring grind to earn some gold.

For someone not in the habit of logging in every day (or close enough), it's absolutely not worth it. For any who already do log in every day, adding an extra account to log in is effectively a negligible effort.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

59 gold costs ~200 gems.

not

For someone not in the habit of logging in every day (or close enough), it's absolutely not worth it. For any who already
do
log in every day, adding an extra account to log in is effectively a negligible effort.

I don't log in every day (I couldn't if I wanted to because I'm often not at home) and I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to log in to my second account on days when I don't have time to play. But when I do have time it only takes a couple of minutes to log in and collect the login reward, most of which I'm tabbed out of the game reading the internet while waiting for it to load. Then when I need stuff on my main account I go through and transfer whatever would be useful (or sell it and transfer the gold). This saved me having to buy any mystic coins or T6 materials from the TP last time I made a legendary because between the two accounts I had enough mystic coins and laurels to cover it.

The only time it's a problem is when I've changed the routine and keep forgetting. Like at the moment, I'm also buying lucky envelopes on my second account, but because it's not something I normally do I keep on forgetting to put gold into the shared guild bank to do it with, so the process becomes: log into second account, collect daily reward, open guild bank, swear, log into main account, put gold in, log into second account, withdraw gold, buy envelopes, put in guild bank, log into main account, withdraw envelopes, put gold in, play as normal. Then I forget to do it again the next day.

Multiboxing. When it's useful, be your own group. Double-headed screens, one account running on each. Mostly I play PvE, solo or with a regular group of friends. And for most of that I play a single account - but surprisingly often it's really useful to be able to bring in the second "right" character (like a mesmer or an "easy-mode" necro) to group with and help out, or to leave one somewhere where a mesmer portal or a TP to Friend will come in useful later (especially for those group sessions). Plus a couple of my regular group are very much casuals, so it's nice to be able to both scratch my own itch by playing new content as it becomes available AND go through it "for the first time" with them. Then, at a purely mercenary level, I can farm my home and guild instances, run the Matriarch and the like and do dailies on both almost as fast and as well as on one, for double rewards. And when I want to craft, I can crank out time-gated mats at twice the rate, which I find makes the whole process way less arduous. I wouldn't want a third account, but two running on screen at once can work very well. If none of that pushes your hot buttons, fair enough. Works well for me.