WP - Guild Wars 2's Biggest Problems (As I See Them)

otto.5684

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:More game devs need to accept the fact that casual pandering is short term gain for long term loss,
due to the fact that todays casual player is often tomorrows hardcore player
.(emphasis mine)That's actually generally untrue. Casual and hardcore are not about how veteran or experienced of a player you are. It's about a mindset and a playstyle difference. Most casuals remain casuals, even if they gain experience and in effect learn to play better. Most hardcores
start
as hardcores (even if initially they have a lot to learn). If anything, the change usually happens in the
other
direction - as players get older, or suffer through burnout, they tend to switch to a more casual, laid-back playstyle.

Thank you for this.

Im 100% percent on stop making anything new in 2020 and instead tweaking everything backwards and not making the systems 1-trick ponys.Make dungeons viable againMake fractals viable againMake bounties viable againetc etc etc.

It gets too cluttered when they abandon old stuff just to bring new ones and then they get abandoned on the next...Im just re-doing dungeons and having such a blast! They are sooo well made. Why not just ress that content??? WHY NOT?HoT Dungeons, PoF dungeons, LWS dungeons... so great.

@Gehenna.3625 said:I mean just the combination of choice in class, specializations, stat sets and weapon sets allow for hunderds of builds if not thousands. What's the point of that if 99% of them are kitten?

I don't think this is a problem with the game... well, beyond the occasional bone tossed to the hardcores that sees these sponge & gimmick & hard CC adds & instagib attack bosses suddenly appear to drag down the story to crawl... it's a problem of 99% of gamers always wanting the most for the least amount of effort. Meta is, in effect, easy mode.

@Astralporing.1957 said:That's actually generally untrue. Casual and hardcore are not about how veteran or experienced of a player you are. It's about a mindset and a playstyle difference. Most casuals remain casuals, even if they gain experience and in effect learn to play better. Most hardcores start as hardcores (even if initially they have a lot to learn).

This is 100% correct. It's also why the other game modes have a hard time attracting casual players despite the rewards being far better than what you get from story and open world.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:More game devs need to accept the fact that
casual pandering is short term gain for long term loss
( BOLDED FOR F***ING EMPHASIS ), due to the fact that todays casual player is often tomorrows hardcore player.Where is your evidence to support such a claim?

You should seriously consider paying better attention to the Asian MMO market. There is a basic cycle there of casualization, P2W, and death as the community ultimately abandons a game that is no longer challenging nor rewarding. Tera is the latest example.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:More game devs need to accept the fact that casual pandering is short term gain for long term loss,
due to the fact that todays casual player is often tomorrows hardcore player
.(emphasis mine)That's actually generally untrue. Casual and hardcore are not about how veteran or experienced of a player you are. It's about a mindset and a playstyle difference. Most casuals remain casuals, even if they gain experience and in effect learn to play better. Most hardcores
start
as hardcores (even if initially they have a lot to learn). If anything, the change usually happens in the
other
direction - as players get older, or suffer through burnout, they tend to switch to a more casual, laid-back playstyle.

You seem to have a very different definition of casual than what I am used to. I interchange it with unskilled, and someone who is just as bad at the game as when they started after years of play has issues.

@kharmin.7683 said:IMO, there are far more players who complain about the lack of new content. To stop producing new content, and focus on re-igniting old content, would be detrimental.

That's true, but you'd think they would have a way to do both, even if one is only minimal. They went through a phase where they seemed really gung-ho about updating world bosses. Then that motivation just kind of dwindled. I think a lot of people were kind of hoping for this from the current events team, which I assume doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for awhile. (As even the festivals only receive minor updates, if any, usually.) Then again they might have just turned that current events team into another living world team since they seem to be striving for a release schedule that wouldn't really give reason to have a bunch of current events in between patches.

I do think there are steps that could be done to reignite old content though. I don't think it would be a game changer or anything, but adding new rewards for old content even if the content itself doesn't actually get updated or have any gameplay changed might be one way. People always like to hop to shiny new things, and generally those shiny new things are weapon skins or cosmetic items. But those seem to be few and far between. For armor it's somewhat understandable because of model-fitting and making sure there isn't too much clipping.

People have been wanting a gold variation of the legendary fractal backpack for years now that they could have added. We don't have any sinks for golden relics that could be used for this, and spark people into running fractal dailies again even without new fractals being added. They could add combat tonics of fractal bosses. They could even add a less visually unique fractal specific legendary set like the pvp set. Wouldn't even need to be a new armor set, but could be a different form of acquisition.

I don't know. It's a waste to type all of this anyway. There have been countless suggestions, and while I have seen a few make it into the game, whether it be open world/story or gem store, it's pretty rare. Obviously it's their game and it's not a good idea to make all of your design decisions entirely based on the community, but there have been a few pretty good ones I'm surprised haven't seen the light of day.

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:You seem to have a very different definition of casual than what I am used to. I interchange it with unskilled, and someone who is just as bad at the game as when they started after years of play has issues.Of all the different definitions i've seen so far of "casual" your seems the least common and intuitive. Casual is not the same as newbie.

Let's give you an example:We have two people. One is a veteran of the game, that played many years, generally knows how to play, and undestands the game mechanics. He never went out of his way to look for that info, though (and, specifically, practically never uses out-of-game sources), nor did he ever thought about, say, spending several hours at the golem practicing his rotations - everything he knows he picked up naturally, by playing the game. And while he may be aware that some builds/playstyles may be better than others, he picks what he plays by what he finds more fun, not what is most effective (and, as such, he is not above playing, say, a bearbow). He plays the game for story and relaxation, and isn't really interested in stuff like "being challenged" or "proving yourself" - he just wants to have fun. He is also blessed with good perception, hand coordination, timing sense, good reactions and the ability to learn fast.The other person barely started playing, and is still very unskilled - but he intends to change that, fast. He intends to skip the story, and go straight for the challenging content, as he thinks that is what playing the game is all about. He is looking through all the build sites, already planning for his endgame gear, knows what classes and builds will be best and is trying to learn them, and constantly practices his skills. He's just not that skilled yet - he's way too fresh, and frankly learning anything takes him a lot of time and effort (perhaps his real talents lie outside the game, who knows).

By your definition, the first player is a hardcore, and the second one is a casual. By my point of view (and probably by the point of view of a lot of people), it's exactly the opposite.

It's not your skill at any given moment that makes you a casual or hardcore. It's your playstyle and attitude towards the game that makes the difference.

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:

You seem to have a very different definition of casual than what I am used to. I interchange it with unskilled, and someone who is just as bad at the game as when they started after years of play has issues.

I respectfully suggest you change your definition. "Casual" is a mindset in this game, and I would guess 80% of the player base holds that mindset. No other game I know of has a "casual" that matches GW2's.

Casuals play for enjoyment, not to become the best. They are very different from hardcore players. A casual player DOES want to get better, but not at the expense of enjoying the game. Min-maxing isn't valuable to them. Whether their build is good or great is only marginally important to them. You'll almost never see a casual LFG ad that says "BM", "DPS", "alac", or similar code-words for specific builds.

I would say the biggest differentiator is that casuals are willing to play with other people, regardless of the other players' skill levels, and will help others without being condescending.

@"kharmin.7683" said:IMO, there are far more players who complain about the lack of new content. To stop producing new content, and focus on re-igniting old content, would be detrimental.

You are correct that there are far more players "who COMPLAIN about ...". But, there are far FAR more players who are casual and don't complain as much. That's what happened with Heart of Thorns (HoT). The vocal minority was listened to, and much harder content was created. The results of listening to the vocal minority hurt the game severely.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:You seem to have a very different definition of casual than what I am used to. I interchange it with unskilled, and someone who is just as bad at the game as when they started after years of play has issues.Of all the different definitions i've seen so far of "casual" your seems the least common and intuitive. Casual is not the same as newbie.

Let's give you an example:We have two people. One is a veteran of the game, that played many years, generally knows how to play, and undestands the game mechanics. He never went out of his way to look for that info, though (and, specifically, practically never uses out-of-game sources), nor did he ever thought about, say, spending several hours at the golem practicing his rotations - everything he knows he picked up naturally, by playing the game. And while he may be aware that some builds/playstyles may be better than others, he picks what he plays by what he finds more fun, not what is most effective (and, as such, he is not above playing, say, a bearbow). He plays the game for story and relaxation, and isn't really interested in stuff like "being challenged" or "proving yourself" - he just wants to have fun. He is also blessed with good perception, hand coordination, timing sense, good reactions and the ability to learn fast.The other person barely started playing, and is still very unskilled - but he intends to change that, fast. He intends to skip the story, and go straight for the challenging content, as he thinks that is what playing the game is all about. He is looking through all the build sites, already planning for his endgame gear, knows what classes and builds will be best and is trying to learn them, and constantly practices his skills. He's just not that skilled
yet
- he's way too fresh, and frankly learning anything takes him a lot of time and effort (perhaps his real talents lie outside the game, who knows).

By your definition, the first player is a hardcore, and the second one is a casual. By my point of view (and probably by the point of view of a lot of people), it's exactly the opposite.

It's not your skill at any given moment that makes you a casual or hardcore. It's your playstyle and attitude towards the game that makes the difference.

One of the best definitions of casual (GW2 casual) I've ever seen. Kudos!

• Thanks 1