Favorite race for engineer? What should my character's theme be?

I've decided to give myself a challenge to rekindle my interest in PvE.

• Level character 1-80
  • 100% core Tyria map completion
  • Engineer
  • No armor/trinkets
  • No mounts
  • No food/buffs
  • Follow a theme (i.e. I pick weapons/traits/skills around this theme even if they are not optimal)

All I have left to decide is what race should I be and what should my characters theme be. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Despite not being a fan of engineer I have quite many of them.Two of them are charr, one is asura and the other one is a sylvari (actually concepted as a mechavari/cybervari).Theoretically, every race could be fine with the right background to the character but I'd definitely go with either charr or asura if you're not into creating entire background stories.Hope that helps!

My two engineers are an asura - for obvious reasons - and a sylvari. The sylvari is an interesting concept; my guy has spent most of his life around charr, working as a scrapper for warbands in the general area he's at, so he uses a lot of their technology (and as little sylvari-inspired stuff as possible...long story short, an encounter with Nightmare scared him so badly he went Soundless and fled as far away from the Grove as humanly possible). So his theme is based around cobbled-together/reworked charr technology - turrets, toolkits, etc., using a rifle and/or twin pistols as his primary weapon(s). He avoids fire and explosives, though...being a plant, he's rather flammable, or at least prone to getting his leaves singed.

Anyway; that's just one justification for a sylvari engineer. You could go the opposite route for a sylvari and give them solely plant- or nature-themed stuff - cultural weapons, seed turrets, maybe elixirs if you imagine that said elixir is made of nectar or dew or whatnot.

[ahem] Anyway, headcanon rambling aside and echoing Connor's suggestion, we can always use more charr ladies around Tyria. :D I'm not a fan of her voice-acting (maybe it gets better in later story content?), but charr are always a fun race to play as. Vita Burnpaw, from the Burn warband! ...because she likes burning stuff, and I imagine she's not too careful with her flamethrower... Maybe? :)

@Batel.9206 said:My two engineers are an asura - for obvious reasons - and a sylvari. The sylvari is an interesting concept; my guy has spent most of his life around charr, working as a scrapper for warbands in the general area he's at, so he uses a lot of their technology (and as little sylvari-inspired stuff as possible...long story short, an encounter with Nightmare scared him so badly he went Soundless and fled as far away from the Grove as humanly possible). So his theme is based around cobbled-together/reworked charr technology - turrets, toolkits, etc., using a rifle and/or twin pistols as his primary weapon(s). He avoids fire and explosives, though...being a plant, he's rather flammable, or at least prone to getting his leaves singed.

That's an interesting backstory! My first character is actually a sylvari engineer. I never play them anymore though because it I miss what engineer use to be back in vanilla. That's why I decided to challenge myself with this.

Anyway; that's just one justification for a sylvari engineer. You could go the opposite route for a sylvari and give them solely plant- or nature-themed stuff - cultural weapons, seed turrets, maybe elixirs if you imagine that said elixir is made of nectar or dew or whatnot.

[ahem] Anyway, headcanon rambling aside: we can always use more charr ladies around Tyria. :D I'm not a fan of her voice-acting (maybe it gets better in later story content?), but charr are always a fun race to play as. Vita Burnpaw, from the Burn warband! ...because she likes burning stuff, and I imagine she's not too careful with her flamethrower... Maybe? :)

I think it get pretty good, there is lots of personality in it. I was thinking pyromanic with a flamethrower does that seem a little too cliche?

Make an asuran engineer named

Thermochemist Bhuum (as of right now it's available, checked it in game). (Pronounced Boom)

The theme is explosions. All the explosions. Explosions everywhere. Explosively exploding explosions exploding explosively!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EXPLODE ALL THE THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you don't make this character I will. This sounds really fun.

@Rogue.8235 said:Make an asuran engineer named

Thermochemist Bhuum (as of right now it's available, checked it in game). (Pronounced Boom)

The theme is explosions. All the explosions. Explosions everywhere. Explosively exploding explosions exploding explosively!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EXPLODE ALL THE THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you don't make this character I will. This sounds really fun.

Haha, I might very well do it because I have no Asuran characters yet.

Thanks everyone for your input! While Charr was a big contender I have yet to make an Asura and this was a good chance. Here is the character! The theme will be explosives and alchemy. (because you never know when you'll discover a new volatile chemical!) I think he'll run double pistol. Let the adventure begin!wtcvUfh.png

Guess this should be closed. You made your choice. I agreed with Connor Fallon. The engineer in this game is directly lore related to the Charr and their technology.

I guess going Asura is a unique choice for RP if you make a story of the scatterbrained, Asura outcast who uses primitive Charr tech. Because you know, Asura tech is way futuristic and laser based. Asura have lasers for everything: dragons, doors, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they had laser can openers.

@XYLO.7031 said:Guess this should be closed. You made your choice. I agreed with Connor Fallon. The engineer in this game is directly lore related to the Charr and their technology.

I guess going Asura is a unique choice for RP if you make a story of the scatterbrained, Asura outcast who uses primitive Charr tech. Because you know, Asura tech is way futuristic and laser based. Asura have lasers for everything: dragons, doors, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they had laser can openers.

This guy uses it out of pure love of explosions.

My Engineer is an Asura from the College of Dynamics, which has a branch dedicated to experimenting with Charr tech for Asura use. It's a perfect RP fit. Adding to the Dynamics experimenting image and the generally destructive nature of Charr tech, I gave him scars and torn up ears and a "scorched" look from all the lab accidents he has survived.

@"Zexanima.7851" said:Thanks everyone for your input! While Charr was a big contender I have yet to make an Asura and this was a good chance. Here is the character! The theme will be explosives and alchemy. (because you never know when you'll discover a new volatile chemical!) I think he'll run double pistol. Let the adventure begin!wtcvUfh.png

YES EXPLODE EVERYTHING!

I was thinking, as an additional challenge you can try to make the perfect screenshot. Really explore the open world to find an area that would be the best backdrop, then as you take the screenshot try to have as many explosives go off at once while the little guy does a fitting emote. It's a very different kind of mechanical challenge, but still requires skill using the game mechanics. You'd really have to think outside the box for this.

Also,, alchemical volatility is a nice touch, kudos (do they still make those candy bars btw?) for that touch. Also loving the nuance of avoiding a shield, cuz yo're little guy is too crazy to have any form of protection.

@"Jimbru.6014" said:My Engineer is an Asura from the College of Dynamics, which has a branch dedicated to experimenting with Charr tech for Asura use. It's a perfect RP fit. Adding to the Dynamics experimenting image and the generally destructive nature of Charr tech, I gave him scars and torn up ears and a "scorched" look from all the lab accidents he has survived.

This is also a great idea to round out the character.

Have fun explosively exploding explosive explosives around the world!

Charr and Asura are best races for Engineer.Human is a ok choice too.Sylvari and Norn are the least compatible due to culture.. Norn being rather rural and less technologically focused and Sylvari prefer to grow their weapons, armour, turrets, mines etc rather than manufacture stuff from metal and wood.

• 1 month later...

@Batel.9206 said:My two engineers are an asura - for obvious reasons - and a sylvari. The sylvari is an interesting concept; my guy has spent most of his life around charr, working as a scrapper for warbands in the general area he's at, so he uses a lot of their technology (and as little sylvari-inspired stuff as possible...long story short, an encounter with Nightmare scared him so badly he went Soundless and fled as far away from the Grove as humanly possible). So his theme is based around cobbled-together/reworked charr technology - turrets, toolkits, etc., using a rifle and/or twin pistols as his primary weapon(s). He avoids fire and explosives, though...being a plant, he's rather flammable, or at least prone to getting his leaves singed.

[ahem] Anyway, headcanon rambling aside and echoing Connor's suggestion, we can always use more charr ladies around Tyria. :D I'm not a fan of her voice-acting (maybe it gets better in later story content?), but charr are always a fun race to play as. Vita Burnpaw, from the Burn warband! ...because she likes burning stuff, and I imagine she's not too careful with her flamethrower... Maybe? :)

@Cynder.2509 said:Despite not being a fan of engineer I have quite many of them.Two of them are charr, one is asura and the other one is a sylvari (actually concepted as a mechavari/cybervari).Theoretically, every race could be fine with the right background to the character but I'd definitely go with either charr or asura if you're not into creating entire background stories.Hope that helps!

Can you both link in pictures of your engineers? I'd love to see them for inspiration!

fyi i hope to make an engineer soon