New E-Specs in 2020?

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:I dont really believe Anet would stoop that low either.

Just look at the extend of the
template
loadout monetization.I wouldn't be surprised of they sell us the especs at a rate of 2000 gems per spec.

Would it be that bad if they sell the e-specs for lets say 15 or 20 bucks if they give you the rest of the expac for free if you login? I don't see the problem

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

template
loadout monetization.I wouldn't be surprised of they sell us the especs at a rate of 2000 gems per spec.

Would it be that bad if they sell the e-specs for lets say 15 or 20 bucks if they give you the rest of the expac for free if you login? I don't see the problem

I think it would be a massive problem yes. It could even be the straw that breaks the game population. Monetising the templates seemed pretty reasonable to me (and people were asking for just that). The backlash however was.....significant. This would be on a whole new scale of damage

Paying for elites is a step too far. It opens up a precedent to start selling off bits of content to those with the cash and that is very much not the Anet way.

Elites are traitlines. If it's an expac, then they come as a feature of it. If included with the Saga, then its included for free. There is no reason for them to do it beyond pure greed and a disrespect to the playerbase. I think many things about Anet, but I am confident such a decision would never be taken or realistically considered

@Randulf.7614 said:

template

I think it would be a massive problem yes. It could even be the straw that breaks the game population. Monetising the templates seemed pretty reasonable to me (and people were asking for just that). The backlash however was.....significant. This would be on a whole new scale of damage

Paying for elites is a step too far. It opens up a precedent to start selling off bits of content to those with the cash and that is very much not the Anet way.

Elites are traitlines. If it's an expac, then they come as a feature of it. If included with the Saga, then its included for free. There is no reason for them to do it beyond pure greed and a disrespect to the playerbase. I think many things about Anet, but I am confident such a decision would never be taken or realistically considered

Hopefully. With the growing emphasis on the gemstore lately I can't completely put it out of my mind of them to try to pull something like that.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:The amount of time needed to create and balance 9 new elite specs is far too big for them to be released outside of an expansion.

It's far too big a task to be done as living world.. and even if it was done and Anet decided to release another expansion in the future people would quickly start to ask questions like.. why should we have to pay for this expansion when all the features in it we've been getting for free over the last few years.

The biggest problem with promiting messages like.. Expansion like content.Give people things for free and they will expect you to continue to do so.

I wouldn't mind paying for the e-specs separately if the LW gives expac-level maps and features.

The amount of pay to win rage that would cause though xD

@Zexanima.7851 said:

template

Hopefully. With the growing emphasis on the gemstore lately I can't completely put it out of my mind of them to try to pull something like that.

The concern is understandable I agree. They have been on a poor roll of decisions as well so so I can understand any cynicism right now

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:The amount of time needed to create and balance 9 new elite specs is far too big for them to be released outside of an expansion.

It's far too big a task to be done as living world.. and even if it was done and Anet decided to release another expansion in the future people would quickly start to ask questions like.. why should we have to pay for this expansion when all the features in it we've been getting for free over the last few years.

The biggest problem with promiting messages like.. Expansion like content.Give people things for free and they will expect you to continue to do so.

I wouldn't mind paying for the e-specs separately if the LW gives expac-level maps and features.

Since when paid DLC is p2w?

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

If the content behind the DLC gives players an advantage (e.g. a new e-spec that is strong than any of the other specs)

@Randulf.7614 said:

template

I really don't see the problem. Instead of paying for the expac, you get expac-level maps and features for free and just pay for the e-specs since they are basically the core of an expac because they apply to all game modes : pve/pvp/wvwvwI mean, lets say youre a spvp player...why are you buying the expac? for the especs.If youre a wvwvw player....same thing. Your reasoning just seems flawed to me.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

It's not necs that it would be p2w, there would be a huge cry about it nonetheless. Anet have admitted in the past that elites have steadily caused a power creep over the years. It is a natural assumption therefore that a new elite would cause a new power creep. And since you exclusively are purchasing that power, that argument would be made (loudly).

I'm not sure I agree with the reasoning, but I can understand the complaint

@Randulf.7614 said:

It's not necs that it would be p2w, there would be a huge cry about it nonetheless. Anet have admitted in the past that elites have steadily caused a power creep over the years. It is a natural assumption therefore that a new elite would cause a new power creep. And since you exclusively are purchasing that power, that argument would be made (loudly).

Stupid arguements shouldn't be the reason for a desicion. Like I said, if youre mainly a spvp/wvwvw player you're buying the expac for the especs ANYWAYS.So, instead of playing 40 bucks or so for a huge expac you get free expac level content and just pay a bit for the especs. Anyone who would actually argue against that shouldn't be taken seriously.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

If the content behind the DLC gives players an advantage (e.g. a new e-spec that is strong than any of the other specs)

So the game is p2w anyways by that idiotic definition. Without the expacs you can't really compete in pvp/wvwvw.DLC content is absolutely not p2w. Just like expacs arent p2w. The free game is a trial version.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

template

I really don't see the problem. Instead of paying for the expac, you get expac-level maps and features for free and just pay for the e-specs since they are basically the core of an expac because they apply to all game modes : pve/pvp/wvwvw

I'm not really sure how to explain it then. If you don't see it as a issue, then perhaps that's just a conflict between points of view. For me, it would be a ridiculously idiotic move for them to split chunks of content up into paid and unpaid, instead of the (relative) neatness it is now. It would be confusing, messy and achieve precisely nothing positive whatsoever.

You either buy a package of content or you get free updates like now. I am not a fan of this micro dlc charging nonsense that is all the rage right now in the industry which irritating swathes of gamers. If it is already made content, it gets packaged with the rest of it not cut out and charged separately

@Randulf.7614 said:

template

I really don't see the problem. Instead of paying for the expac, you get expac-level maps and features for free and just pay for the e-specs since they are basically the core of an expac because they apply to all game modes : pve/pvp/wvwvw

I'm not really sure how to explain it then. If you don't see it as a issue, then perhaps that's just a conflict between points of view. For me, it would be a ridiculously idiotic move for them to split chunks of content up into paid and unpaid, instead of the (relative) neatness it is now. It would be confusing, messy and achieve precisely nothing positive whatsoever.

You either buy a package of content or you get free updates like now. I am not a fan of this micro dlc charging nonsense that is all the rage right now in the industry which irritating swathes of gamers. If it is already made content, it gets packaged with the rest of it not cut out and charged separately

If you end up paying the same amount I don't care how you charge me. Knowing ANet js extremely anti-p2w they can make it work. Besides, they are a tiny studio, not Blizzard. Perhaps releasing it in chunks will make it easier for them to handle.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

Stupid arguements shouldn't be the reason for a desicion. Like I said, if youre mainly a spvp/wvwvw player you're buying the expac for the especs ANYWAYS.So, instead of playing 40 bucks or so for a huge expac you get free expac level content and just pay a bit for the especs. Anyone who would actually argue against that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Yeah but having specs in expansions is a big difference to just having the specs as a monitized feature.. like on the gemstore for example.Some argue the expansions are pay to win because of elite specs or in other games where they increase level caps or gear progression etc but that kind of thing is expected in expansions and would cause more outrage if you were paying for an expansion that didnt add some new way to expand/improve your character.Expansions expand the pre exisrting game.. pretty much why they're called expansions.

Putting specs on the gemstore would be much like putting a new tier of gear with higher stats than ascended exclusively on the gemstore.. people would be right to call foul on that and claim pay to win.. specially if that gear were usable in competitive modes.

@Teratus.2859 said:

Yeah but having specs in expansions is a big difference to just having the specs as a monitized feature.. like on the gemstore for example.Some argue the expansions are pay to win because of elite specs or in other games where they increase level caps or gear progression etc but that kind of thing is expected in expansions and would cause more outrage if you were paying for an expansion that didnt add some new way to expand/improve your character.Expansions expand the pre exisrting game.. pretty much why they're called expansions.

Putting specs on the gemstore would be much like putting a new tier of gear with higher stats than ascended exclusively on the gemstore.. people would be right to call foul on that and claim pay to win.. specially if that gear were usable in competitive modes.It wouldn't be on the gem store. It would be a separate DLC. The game IS buy to play after all. DLC is the backbone of that model. For crying out loud, if you don't login during a certain period you have to buy LW episodes for a small fee right? They are also DLC.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

Putting specs on the gemstore would be much like putting a new tier of gear with higher stats than ascended exclusively on the gemstore.. people would be right to call foul on that and claim pay to win.. specially if that gear were usable in competitive modes.It wouldn't be on the gem store. It would be a separate DLC. The game IS buy to play after all. DLC is the backbone of that model. For crying out loud, if you don't login during a certain period you have to buy LW episodes for a small fee right? They are also DLC.

Well you buy living world on the gemstore :P

In general though I don't particularly like that concept myself, I find that for newer or players returning from long breaks that catchup price can be pretty heavy and very off putting.. and the longer you're put off on coming back the bigger that price tag gets.The only plus side being that you can play the game and earn the gold to buy gems to buy the episodes but it's still a pretty poor model imo.

After all if you've never heard of Gw2 and come into the game now, decide you love it and want to catch up it's pretty disheartening looking at all the money you need spend to do it.. and more so when you learn that most other players only had to pay for a couple expansions as they got all the living world free just by playing.Can make someone feel like they're being screwed over.. or being punished for being late to the party, I've had friends say as much as their main reason for not wanting to invest in Gw2.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

Right, but then you risk a double bubble scenario. It is confusing enough now for players that buying an expac still means buying more dlc on top of that. If you then ask new players to buy expacs, seasons and then tell them some of the content you used to get with that ( ie new elite classes) also needs purchasing...that is not a positive message to your future playerbase. So all you are doing is upsetting a significant section of players AND putting off new players.

It's a messy, confusing and expensive strategy

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@"Zexanima.7851" said:Can't calculate the odds but anet has made no hints that there will ever be any more especs. They said "expansion level content" but that in no way means "especs".

What's more "expansion level" than e-specs?I think we just need another round of them. 3 especs for each class would be perfect

Some actual content you can use to play a game? New huge and complex maps which are fun to explore, full of riddles and hidden places? New raids and fractals? A fresh ideas on how to re-use the old maps, fill them with some activities and events, in addition these boring old dynamic events? New game modes, especially for experienced players, which are currently locked out from most of OpenWorld as it's just boring for them to fight most of the mobs there? Further developing and refreshing PvP and WvW modes?

Tons of stuff, actually. And the least useful of this stuff is new especs, which will only create more confusion and will break even this fragile semblance of balance we have now.

@"Amaranthe.3578" said:Stupid arguements shouldn't be the reason for a desicion. Like I said, if youre mainly a spvp/wvwvw player you're buying the expac for the especs ANYWAYS.So, instead of playing 40 bucks or so for a huge expac you get free expac level content and just pay a bit for the especs. Anyone who would actually argue against that shouldn't be taken seriously."A little"? Haven't you looked at build "templates" close enough? I bet that if they actually did monetize especs, every single espec would cost more than a whole expansion. Because that's their pricing model these days.

I don't really have any hope for this happening anytime soon, but it would be nice to change the gameplay up a bit with some new elite specs.

Perhaps something Aurene is doing in the Eye of the North/Scrying Pool/Connection to the mists is a possible jumping off point for introducing new elite specs?

Not likely, but one can dream!

I think people were thinking, out of desperation, that the big balance changes they were implementing were eluding to class reworks to make room for new elite specs. But after reading the changes, the majority of them are just flat damage reductions across the board with about the same number or less of actual trait reworks/changes.

The datamined icons I'm pretty sure were mostly for underwater weapons or something.

@Teratus.2859 said:

Well you buy living world on the gemstore :P

In general though I don't particularly like that concept myself, I find that for newer or players returning from long breaks that catchup price can be pretty heavy and very off putting.. and the longer you're put off on coming back the bigger that price tag gets.The only plus side being that you can play the game and earn the gold to buy gems to buy the episodes but it's still a pretty poor model imo.

After all if you've never heard of Gw2 and come into the game now, decide you love it and want to catch up it's pretty disheartening looking at all the money you need spend to do it.. and more so when you learn that most other players only had to pay for a couple expansions as they got all the living world free just by playing.Can make someone feel like they're being screwed over.. or being punished for being late to the party, I've had friends say as much as their main reason for not wanting to invest in Gw2.

You mean those players that only had to pay for core, hot and pof that you now get with only buying pof?Yea so evil that they get dlc for free that people who havent been here the first 6 years have to pay for when they arrive.

I was expecting us to eventually go to the North and handle Jormag ever since PoF was released. Considering Season 4 would have taken care of all loose ends involving Kralk, an expansion would have made sense especially introducing a theme of hunting and cold-weather-like especs to go with it. There are a lot of characters without daggers, torches and guns. It was toned down to a mere living world season.

When they said "expansion level" content, I can't help but remember Sun's Refuge.