Soulbeast downside prediction.

DanAlcedo.3281

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

@Shadowcat.2680 said:Anet specified they wanted trade-offs for HoT professions.

Expect "trade-offs" for the PoF professions to happen around the release of the next expansion.

Quote? As far as memory recalls, Anet stated they wanted tradeoff for elite specs, no for "Hot elite specs".

It's the way the April 23rd release notes phrased it. In reference to the elite specs, HoT is mentioned and PoF isn't. And then when they go on to list elite specs that don't have trade-offs, only HoT specs are listed (in a list of five specs, not one PoF spec appears).

I could be reading into it, but Anet does have a history of nerfing older specs to make the newer content look more desirable.

Ah, I see why you read it that way. The update reads:

Elite specializations were introduced with the Heart of Thorns™ expansion and have become a regular sight throughout Tyria. These specializations have sometimes come with trade-offs, and sometimes they've been purely beneficial compared to a core specialization, often because they add something on top of everything the profession already does. We believe that elite specializations are a more meaningful choice when they have some trade-off or change some core part of a profession's mechanics.

The way I read it is that they mentioned hot because that's when they introduced elite specs. Later in the patch notes they give examples of professions where there is a tradeoff already, and they totally include pof ones there.

Necromancer (not scourge) is the example they give as having a trade-off already. But it's somewhat erroneous of a claim to make on their part since scourge is superior to core necro despite losing death shroud.

I'm convinced they see soulbeast in a similar light. It has the trade-off of losing its pet in exchange for beastmode. Since beastmode is from their latest expansion, it's the superior mechanic to what's being given up.

To go back to their example of necro (since their example encompasses both necro elites), reaper gives up death shroud also, but what it gains is no longer incredibly potent like it was during HoT (condi reapers were grossly overturned). They didn't make reaper's trade-off a nerf until just before PoF was released.

Well Reaper's shroud depletes more quickly and Scourges lose shroud entirely for another benefit, so there is that tradeoff. As for 'losing' your pet, well you then benefit from the skills and traits that proc when your pet does something or gains a benefit, so I wouldn't consider that a trade off. I still think Beast Mode is looking at an incoming cast time and duration. I also would not be surprised Soul Beast looses a pet.

Using shroud in general has the big trade off of no access to utility skills as well

That is true with Death Shroud though so this isn't a trade off, but a continuation of part of the Necromancer profession mechanic. I never felt that Reaper Shroud was a trade off though and that it felt like a straight upgrade, apparently other necro players and Anet feel differently. Scourge's Shades are powerful, but loosing Shroud makes them more fragile.

Personally I'd say core necro should get access to utilities and reaper shouldn't. That would be a trade off.

I agree with that. It always bugged me that I didn't have my utilities when in shroud. Reaper shroud is powerful enough though that utilities aren't that needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...