Balance patch preview - engi only

bambi.6214

Numbers:

@"Cal Cohen.2358" said:

Engineer

Profession Mechanics

Photon Forge

• Autoattack Chain: Reduced power coefficients from 0.6/1.0/1.6 to 0.4/.666/1.066
  • Holo Leap: Reduced power coefficient from 1.25 to 0.91
  • Corona Burst: Reduced might and vulnerability durations from 8 seconds to 6 seconds
  • Photon Blitz: Reduced power coefficient per strike from 0.3 to 0.2
  • Holographic Shockwave: Reduced power coefficient from 0.56 to 0.01

Weapons

Rifle

• Hip Shot: Reduced power coefficient from 0.65 to 0.44
  • Net Shot: Reduced power coefficient from 0.5 to 0.3. Increased cooldown from 9 seconds to 10 seconds
  • Blunderbuss: Reduced minimum power coefficient from 1.1 to 0.5. Reduced maximum power coefficient from 1.76 to 1.31. Increased cooldown from 9 seconds to 12 seconds
  • Overcharged Shot: Reduced power coefficient from 1.0 to 0.01. Increased cooldown from 14 seconds to 15 seconds
  • Jump Shot: Reduced initial leap power coefficient from 0.3 to 0.1. Reduced landing power coefficient from 2.4 to 1.74. Reduced vulnerability duration from 7 seconds to 6 seconds. Increased cooldown from 18 seconds to 20 seconds

Pistol

• Fragmentation Shot: Reduced power coefficient from 0.4 to 0.266
  • Poison Dart Volley: Reduced power coefficient per hit from 0.4 to 0.2. Increased poison duration from 7 seconds to 10 seconds.
  • Static Shot: Reduced power coefficient per hit from 0.4 to 0.3
  • Blowtorch: Adjusted minimum burning from 4 stacks for 3 seconds to 2 stacks for 6 seconds. Adjusted maximum burning from 4 stacks for 6 seconds to 2 stacks for 12 seconds. Increased cooldown from 12 seconds to 15 seconds

Hammer

• Autoattack Chain:
    • Positive Bash: Reduced power coefficient from 0.7 to 0.533. Reduced might duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds
    • Negative Bash: Reduced power coefficient from 1.0 to 0.666. Reduced vulnerability duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds
    • Equalizing blow: Reduced power coefficient from 1.4 to 0.933. Reduced might and vulnerability durations from 8 seconds to 6 seconds
  • Electro-Whirl: Reduced power coefficient per strike from 1.2 to 0.68. Increased cooldown from 6 seconds to 8 seconds
  • Rocket Charge: Reduced power coefficient per strike from 1.1 to 0.74. Increased cooldown from 12 seconds to 18 seconds
  • Shock Shield: Reduced power coefficient per strike from 0.25 to 0.1
  • Thunderclap: Reduced power coefficient per strike from 0.8 to 0.45. Reduced vulnerability duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds

Sword

• Autoattack Chain: Reduced power coefficients from 0.88/0.93/1.5 to 0.586/0.62/1.0. Reduced vulnerability duration from 10 seconds to 6 seconds
  • Refraction Cutter: Reduced strike power coefficient from 1.0 to 0.75
  • Radiant Arc: Reduced base quickness duration from 2 seconds to 1 second. Reduced bonus quickness duration per 50% heat from 2 seconds to 1 second

Heal

• Static Shock (AED Toolbelt): Reduced power coefficient from 1.0 to 0.01
  • Healing Turret: Increased cooldown from 20 seconds to 30 seconds
  • Med Blaster (Med Kit 1): Reduced heal coefficient from 0.2 to 0.1
  • Medic Gyro: Increased cooldown from 20 seconds to 30 seconds. Reduced pulse heal coefficient from 0.6 to 0.25. Reduced initial heal coeffcient from 0.7 to 0.2
  • Reconstruction Field (Medic Gyro Toolbelt): Reduced protection duration from 2 seconds to 1 second
  • Coolant Blast: Increased cooldown from 20 seconds to 25 seconds

Utility

• Big Ol' Bomb (Bomb Kit Toolbelt): Reduced power coefficient from 2.475 to 0.01. Reduced cooldown from 25 seconds to 20 seconds
  • Grenade Barrage (Grenade Kit Toolbelt): Reduced power coefficient per grenade from 0.6 to 0.5
  • Super Elixir (Elixir Gun 5): Reduced pulse base heal from 204 to 163. Reduced pulse heal coefficient from 0.1 to 0.05
  • Magnet (Tool Kit 5): Increased cooldown from 20 seconds to 25 seconds
  • Elixir B: Reduced boon durations from 10 seconds to 6 seconds. Reduced cooldown from 40 seconds to 30 seconds
  • Toss Elixir B (Elixir B Toolbelt): Reduced might duration from 10 seconds to 6 seconds
  • Toss Elixir S: Reduced stealth duration from 5 seconds to 3 seconds
  • Personal Battering Ram: Reduced power coefficient from 1.25 to 0.01. Reduced ammo recharge from 25 seconds to 20 seconds
  • Launch Personal Battering Ram (Personal Battering Ram Toolbelt): Reduced power coefficient from 1.5 to 0.5
  • Rocket Boots: Reduced power coefficient from 1.25 to 0.5
  • Super Speed (Slick Shoes Toolbelt): Reduced superspeed duration from 5 seconds to 3 seconds
  • Throw Mine: Reduced power coefficient from 2.0 to 0.01. Increased boons removed from 1 to 3
  • Mine Field (Throw Mine Toolbelt): Reduced power coefficient per mine from 0.77 to 0.5
  • Surprise Shot (Rifle Turret Toolbelt): Reduced power coefficient from 1.0 to 0.5
  • Rocket Turret: Reduced overcharge power coefficient from 2.75 to 0.01
  • Thump (Thumper Turret Toolbelt): Reduced power coefficient from 1.0 to 0.01
  • Blast Gyro: Reduced power coefficient from 2.25 to 0.01. Reduced might duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds. Reduced cooldown from 25 seconds to 20 seconds
  • Bypass Coating (Blast Gyro Toolbelt): Increased cooldown from 30 seconds to 35 seconds
  • Defense Field (Bulwark Gyro Toolbelt): Increased cooldown from 30 seconds to 40 seconds
  • Spectrum Shield: WvW will now use the PvP version of the skill (25% reduced recharge over heat threshold)
  • Hard Light Arena: Reduced field duration from 8 seconds to 4 seconds. Reduced bonus field duration from 4 seconds to 2 seconds. Reduced cooldown from 45 seconds to 30 seconds
  • Prismatic Singularity (Hard Light Arena Toolbelt): Reduced power coefficient from 0.1 to 0.01. Reduced cooldown from 45 seconds to 35 seconds
  • Photon Wall: Reduced power coefficient per wall from 1.5 to 0.5
  • Particle Accelerator (Photon Wall Toolbelt): Reduced power coefficient from 0.7 to 0.4. Increased cooldown from 8 seconds to 10 seconds

Elite

• Supply Crate: Reduced power coefficient from 1.0 to 0.01. Increased stun duration from 2 seconds to 3 seconds. Reduced cooldown from 120 seconds to 90 seconds
  • Sneak Gyro: PvP will now use the WvW version of the skill (60s cd)
  • Prime Light Beam: Reduced power coefficient from 3.0 to 0.01. Reduced cooldown from 60 seconds to 40 seconds

Traits

Firearms

• Sharpshooter: Reduced bleeding duration from 3 seconds to 1 second
  • Serrated Steel: Reduced bonus bleeding duration from 33% to 15%
  • Thermal Vision: Reduced expertise from 150 to 60
  • Juggernaut: Reduced might duration from 12 seconds to 6 seconds. Reduced bonus might duration from 20% to 10%
  • Incendiary Powder: Reduced bonus burning duration from 33% to 10%. Reduced burning duration from 8 seconds to 4 seconds

Inventions

• Experimental Turrets: Reduced might duration from 10 seconds to 6 seconds
  • Bunker Down: Increased internal cooldown from 3 seconds to 4 seconds
  • Medical Dispersion Field: Reduced heal share percentage from 50% to 25%

Alchemy

• Hidden Flask: Reduced boon durations from 8 seconds to 4 seconds
  • Compounding Chemicals: Reduced concentration from 240 to 75
  • Invigorating Speed: Increased internal cooldown from 5 seconds to 10 seconds
  • Protection Injection: Increased internal cooldown from 20 seconds to 30 seconds
  • Health Insurance: Reduced outgoing heal bonus from 20% to 7%
  • Comeback Cure: Reduced regeneration duration from 4 seconds to 1.5 seconds
  • Emergency Elixir: Increased internal cooldown from 40 seconds to 60 seconds
  • HGH: Adjusted might duration from 2 stacks for 15 seconds to 3 stacks for 6 seconds
  • Purity of Purpose: Boon durations have been adjusted as follows:
    • Protection, Quickness, Stability, Alacrity: Reduced from 3 seconds to 1.5 seconds
    • Resistance: Reduced from 2 seconds to 1.5 seconds
    • Fury, Aegis, Retaliation, Regeneration: Reduced from 5 seconds to 3 seconds
    • Vigor: Reduced from 10 seconds to 3 seconds
    • Might, Swiftness: Reduced from 10 seconds to 5 seconds

Tools

• Static Discharge: Reduced power coefficient from 0.33 to 0.2
  • Power Wrench: Reduced cooldown reduction from 33% to 20%. Reduced elite skill recharge from 3 seconds to 1 second
  • Lock On: Reduced fury duration from 5 seconds to 2.5 seconds. Adjusted vulnerability from 10 stacks for 8 seconds to 5 stacks for 6 seconds
  • Takedown Round: Reduced power coefficient from 2.0 to 0.5
  • Kinetic Battery: Reduced quickness duration from 3 seconds to 2 seconds

Scrapper

• Gyroscopic Acceleration: Reduced superspeed duration from 5 seconds to 3 seconds
  • Mass Momentum: Reduced stability duration from 5 seconds to 3 seconds
  • Expert Examination: Reduced weakness duration from 4 seconds to 3 seconds

Holosmith

• Heat Therapy: Reduced base heal per stack from 49 to 39
  • Thermal Release Valve: Reduced power coefficient from 0.75 to 0.1. Reduced burning duration from 6 seconds to 2 seconds

General changes

The Explosives line for engineer is seeing some major changes in this update. We are removing several traits which had weak or lackluster effects such as Minesweeper, Orbital Command and Blasting Zone and reorganizing functionality from others like Short Fuse and Big Boomer to be more unified. The Evasive Powder Keg trait has been removed and replaced with Explosive Entrance, which similarly adds damage after a dodge roll but does so in a more controlled and modifiable way. Finally we are updating grenade skills for better clarity in competitive modes where it can be hard to tell the difference between the different grenades during the cast time.

• Overheat: Instead of disabling all toolbelt skills until all heat is lost, this skill now adds 15 seconds to the recharge of toolbelt skills other than Photon Forge. Photon Forge remains disabled until all heat is lost.
  • Photonic Blasting Module: When this trait is equipped, the additional recharge penalty from Overheat is reduced from 15 seconds to 5 seconds.
  • Overcharged Shot: Slowed down the animation so the shot occurs at 550ms (up from 240ms)
  • Personal Battering Ram: Slowed down the animation so the strike occurs at 600ms (up from 300ms)
  • Orbital Strike: This skill now uses a higher detail effect. The lower detail version can be viewed for allies, enemies and spectators by checking the "Effect LoD" option in the graphics settings
  • Grenade Kit: Skills in this kit now have unique warmup effects based on which grenade type is being thrown. Fixed an issue where grenade kit skills caused the grenade bundle to vanish during the warmup.
  • Crystal Configuration: Eclipse: This trait no longer causes Corona Burst to grant stability. Increased base barrier granted from 374 to 991 in PvE and 748 in competitive modes.
  • Short Fuse: This trait has been removed and it's cooldown bonus added into the following skills.
  • Fire Bomb: Reduced recharge from 10 seconds to 8 seconds.
  • Concussion Bomb: Reduced recharge from 20 seconds to 16 seconds.
  • Smoke Bomb: Reduced recharge from 25 seconds to 20 seconds.
  • Glue Bomb: Reduced recharge from 25 seconds to 20 seconds. Fixed an issue that caused the visuals for this skill to be larger than the effect radius.
  • Big Ol' Bomb: Reduced recharge from 25 seconds to 20 seconds.

Explosives: This traitline has been reworked, the new traits are as follows

• Minor
    • Explosive Entrance (NEW): Your first attack on entering combat explodes damaging nearby enemies. (Counts as an explosion.) This ability refreshes after a dodge roll or while out of combat.
    • Steel-Packed Powder: No changes
    • Shaped Charge: No changes
  • Adept
    • Grenadier: No changes
    • Short Fuse(REWORK): This trait no longer reduces the fuse time or recharge of bomb skills. Hitting a foe with an explosion skill grants 4 seconds of Fury (3s ICD)
    • Glass Cannon: No changes
  • Master
    • Aim Assisted Rocket (REWORK): Rockets are now only fired on critical hits. Rocket recharge reduced from 10 seconds to 3 seconds. Rockets now require the engineer to be at least 450 distance from the target to fire. Every 5th rocket instead calls an orbital strike.
    • Explosive Temper (NEW): Explosions grant +20 stacking Ferocity for 10 seconds when they hit (10 stacks max)
    • Blast Shield (NEW): Explosive Entrance grants the engineer barrier (base 1508 in PvE and 340 in Competitive modes). Also converts 10% of power to vitality.
  • Grandmaster
    • Flashbang(NEW): Explosive Entrance now inflicts blind for 3 seconds if it hits. Additionally it inflicts Daze for 1 second on struck foes above 90% health.
    • Shrapnel: No changes
    • Big Boomer(REWORK): Increases strike damage by 10% against foes with a lower health percent than the engineer. Additionally causes hitting with Explosion skills to heal the engineer over 3 seconds, 202 health per second. (This effect does not stack.)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General number reduction seems on par with the rest of professions, but we really need to see that in play when the patch hits.Notice how nades didn't get their numbers changed - so, technically, we can say nades got buffed, yey.Explosives look cool, Scrapper with Elixirs, Rifle and Explosives - potential Rocketeer?

@Samug.6512 said:

• Crystal Configuration: Eclipse: This trait no longer causes Corona Burst to grant stability. Increased base barrier granted from 374 to 991 in PvE and 748 in competitive modes.

There goes our only reliable source of stability for a melee class, i understand that in pvp it can get spammy, i understand that there are other stuff that needed a nerf, but engi is a class that has to choose between cc break or condi cleanse, holosmith is supposed to be in melee range, i'd rather have other nerfs to holosmith, like holo leap, or the range of the autoattack, than lose the only stability they have other than elixir U (40 sec. cd. and only 2 stacks, other classes with the same cd. have from 5 to 10 stacks). And i mean it from a pve point of view, i know pvp is a different story (though even there the stability is only 2 seconds at the moment).

Is it 0 to 450 distance or 450 to 1200 the wording is weird Im not sure?

"Aim Assisted Rocket (REWORK): Rockets are now only fired on critical hits. Rocket recharge reduced from 10 seconds to 3 seconds. Rockets now require the engineer to be at least 450 distance from the target to fire. Every 5th rocket instead calls an orbital strike."

General impressions:

1. I didn't read all the other professions because there's a LOT to read. All of them got their power levels dropped, so it's too early to make judgements where engineer will land in the meta.
  2. I appreciate that they're taking another look at the toolbelt lockout for holo overheating. This is a much more elegant solution, might bring rifle back onto the table in PvE.
  3. The changes to explosives look interesting, but they continue to have the grenadier trait (can we please make the flight time baseline?) and by removing the short fuse trait, they made bombs slower to detonate. That said, the traitline is starting to look more viable for PvP.
  4. Increased windups on most hard CC's in PvE look a bit weird.

PvP impressions:

1. I get that all hard CC's are having their power coefficient dropped to 0.01, but it feels really bad for skills like Rocket Turret (overcharge), Supply Crate, and Big Ol' Bomb. These skills saw so little use already.
  2. The power drop on mainhand pistol made me laugh. I just... I can't even.
  3. They decreased the cooldown on supply crate. Now it's still just as useless!
  4. Decreases on engi conditions need to be coupled with decreases in condi removal on other classes. I'm not sure I see that. Engineer condi application is already quite low.
  5. Was MDF seeing use in PvP?
  6. Looks like many of the kits escaped the power nerfbat. They may all be more powerful by relative comparison. I'm going to guess that Cal may have used these as his baseline, because these skills were so close to vanilla power levels.

The explosives buff would place sword ecsu holo at 38-39k. Pbm changes make rifle good and fun again.Not totally sure what the grenade charge means. i hope they did not increase the casttime because this could kill it in pve.Overall good changes for pve holo which could bring him back into endgame. currently it has the meme position.

Condi builds take quite a big nerf and the alchemy nerfs as well :/

But the most hilarious thing is the power nerfs on pistols. Does Anet even know what kind of power damage it does? Its nothing. At full berserker pistol AA does like 600 damage or something (which is literally around 600 dps)

I dont know what to think yet, there are potentially interesting changes that I can put to use on my condi holo. As other have said, if everyone took a power reduction pill, then it seems fair enough on that front. The toolkit lock out being softed up Is going to make the class a whole lot less awkward to handle though, so that's a plus. As for grenades, it doesn't Exactly appear buffed, as it seems there is a delay in casting Added.

@santenal.1054 said:

@Naxos.2503 said:The toolkit lock out being softed up Is going to make the class a whole lot less awkward to handle though,

What do you mean with this? I can't see anything mentioned about toolkit (engineering kits?) lock out.

He's referring to this:Overheat: Instead of disabling all toolbelt skills until all heat is lost, this skill now adds 15 seconds to the recharge of toolbelt skills other than Photon Forge. Photon Forge remains disabled until all heat is lost.

In the past holo utilizes overheat to add a little more dps to compete in raid, but the lockout completely nuked holosmith off from dps roles. Hopefully this will bring power holo back into raid, with very slight buff to explosions as well.

@"Makuragee.3058" said:Is it 0 to 450 distance or 450 to 1200 the wording is weird Im not sure?

"Aim Assisted Rocket (REWORK): Rockets are now only fired on critical hits. Rocket recharge reduced from 10 seconds to 3 seconds. Rockets now require the engineer to be at least 450 distance from the target to fire. Every 5th rocket instead calls an orbital strike."

Probably means the Engi must be within 450 to fire.

Imagine this trait being used by someone hiding somewhere with Mortar kit just dropping Mortars on people.

That's so much free damage from such a huge range.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"Makuragee.3058" said:Is it 0 to 450 distance or 450 to 1200 the wording is weird Im not sure?

Probably means the Engi must be within 450 to fire.

Imagine this trait being used by someone hiding somewhere with Mortar kit just dropping Mortars on people.

That's so much free damage from such a huge range.

I hope its minimum 450 range

The new stuff looks amazing, both PvE and PvP. It seems like PBM is back on the menu, and with the Explosives rework, the damage could become even better than what it is now.

There are four things I find strange in the PvP balance:

• "Prime Light Beam: Reduced power coefficient from 3.0 to 0.01. Reduced cooldown from 60 seconds to 40 seconds" I am going to assume the fire fields damage isn't changed, since it wasn't described otherwise, but if it is, this skill will be horrible.
  • "Big Ol' Bomb (Bomb Kit Toolbelt): Reduced power coefficient from 2.475 to 0.01. Reduced cooldown from 25 seconds to 20 seconds" It will be strange to use this skill, wait the ~3 seconds delay, and do almost no damage. On the other hand, hard CC on 20 seconds cooldown, this can be massive.
  • "Aim Assisted Rocket (REWORK): Rockets are now only fired on critical hits. Rocket recharge reduced from 10 seconds to 3 seconds. Rockets now require the engineer to be at least 450 distance from the target to fire. Every 5th rocket instead calls an orbital strike." This got a confusing description. My take would be that you have to be further than 450 distance away. (Hope it isn't the case)
  • Tools traitline - Reactive Lenses. A lot of similar passive proc traits got 300 sec cd, this seems to be unchanged. Not sure if intended or just an overlook.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:engi now has zero stab. I guess holos can always meme with the holo ranged trait lel.

This part does worry me. Engineer gets ping-ponged currently, but not enough to make it nonviable. Though damage overall is getting lowered, this nerf could remove holo from PvP, because some classes (IE Rev) are able to chain together several CCs.

EDIT: I just realized the damage nerf to scrapper hammer is a double-whammy for scrapper. It will have even less sustain now, because it won't be generating as much barrier.