Balance Patch Preview - Global

Irenio CalmonHuang.2048

@Zalani.9827 said:I feel that forcing the Soulbeast to only have 1 pet in combat is unhealthy for the profession. It is going to lead to a constant perma merge playstyle where having that “drawback” won’t even matter since the player has no iniative to unmerge anyways.

Not to mention that one of the more drawing features of playing a ranger is being able to plan your two pets and be versatile. I love when I get the reason to unmerge and quickly swap pet to counter an issue or adapt to a situation, being versatile is part of the spec and profession as a whole. Taking that away from Soulbeast is a shame.

I would rather see damage nerfs or other changes compared to this as someone who mains Soulbeast.

No, it makes sense that the elite that focuses more on synergizing with the pet would have limited the choices or variety. What it is unhealthy for the game is to have all the options and variety from core class, plus an extra mode where you merge and get a huge stat boost, without any drawback.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

• Obsidian Flesh: This skill now locks the player's skill bar while invulnerable.okkk now its entirely useless 90% of the time.

That's entirely mindless tweak done by a person who clearly understands very little about the current balance and how this off-hand weapon tends to be used. Clearly. Focus is nowhere close to being popular on Ele, not to mention Weaver and Tempest (the latter predominately use warhorn in PvE, the former almost always use dagger), and these few people who still use focus do it because of 2-3 more or less useful skills on it (the rest is pure crap), Obsidian Flesh being one of them. Obsidian Flesh is used EXACTLY because it will allow you to jump into some mess on your fragile glassy "melee mage" and deliver some damage when it's needed. With your skills locked you can't do that, and now it's almost useless, and focus is almost useless as well.

Okay, I can try to imagine such crap makes sense in PvP or WvW (I doubt it's that big advantage there anyway, with its abysmal CD and short duration, but whatever) - but WHY GOD WHY break focus in PvE as well? Are you totally insane, Anet?

First of all let me say I'm loving all the changes so far for PvP and WvW and I wanna thank cmc and whoever worked hard on these changes.

Now, after reading through everything one thing specifically just didn't sat right for me, and since I mainly play engineer this issue is also directed at a trait change affecting engineer.

The specific trait I'm talking about is Crystal Configuration: Eclipse. The stability has been removed from this trait, and considering it was a pretty strong trait for PvP/WvW I fully agree with removing the stability for those game modes. However, in PvE this means the power rifle holosmith build takes a pretty significant hit, since you use Overcharged Shot very regularly in the rotation. The stability provided by CC:E made it so you wouldn't get affected by the knock-back and with the current changes Overcharged Shot will not be useable in PvE without knocking yourself back everytime.

Again, I fully agree with the change considering PvP/WvW but for PvE it, in my personal opinion, doesn't work.

Also, the trait itself after the balance will be extremely lackluster, and will basically only grant a little bit of barrier everytime you use Corona Burst. This, to me, feels more like it should just be baseline for Corona Burst itself instead of a trait.

I do have some suggestions for the trait and/or Overcharged Shot itself for PvE only:

1. Keep the stability on CC:E.
  2. Remove the knock-back on Overcharged Shot.
  3. Change CC:E so it has a stunbreak if you stun yourself but not when you get stunned by an enemy.
  4. If none of the above are any realistic options, atleast make CC:E have something interesting instead of just granting a bit of barrier.

Thanks again for the work you guys put into these balance changes, everything looks pretty awesome and I'm pretty sure PvP and WvW will improve a lot when these changes go live.

@"SpinDashMaster.5680" said:Since you are going to take bonus toughness off of Ele, and you said "We're planning many changes of this nature" can you also take it off of Soulbeast and Firebrand? While we're at it, can we take the bonus toughness out of Weaver's Elemental Polyphony?

Power Soulbeasts take Pack Alpha, which boosts all their attributes (including toughness) by 150, because being merged with a pet gives the Soulbeast bonuses affecting their pet.

While the bonus toughnes gained by this is sure annoying to many tanks, taking one stat out of the trait seems highly inconsistent. I can understand the annoyance with high toughness on dps classes, but in this case I wouldn't think excluding toughness alone a welcome change.

Sorry but: no nerfs to guard and warrior?Even though they are super op right now?

And for necro: removing stab even though it almost has no access to stab.Buffing stunbreakers instead ok.

But why nerfing those stunbreaks even more in wvw? They will have higher cooldown. That's totally killing any roaming ability again, after necro was finally kinda good to solo roam with...

@Imaginos.3756 said:

Mesmer:
  • Confounding Suggestions: This trait has been retired and been replaced with Bountiful Blades.
  • Bountiful Blades (NEW): Mirror Blades bounces 2 additional times. Phantasmal Berserker summons an additional berserker and they each deal less damage (33% instead of 25% less damage.

This is a
big nerf to damage
right there and we already suffer as it is with instant death phantasms being replaced by almost no damage weak clones and now you're going to force us to choose between an extra phantasm on greatsword OR 15% damage boost from all illusions via the Empowered Illusion trait which is in the same line as Confounding Suggestions which will now be Bountiful Blades. Do you even have anyone who plays a Mesmer because it seems like these are such arbitrary and random changes with little thought to them.

The loss of cripple on all attacks is also telling as now we'll be easier to be chased down by foes with only one source of cripple coming from Mind Stab and less, albeit small, breakbar damage.

I am thinking exact same they place 2 dps trait in the same line that realy dosent make any sense to me. NOTHING can beat empowered Illusion trait in minor +15% flat dmg on illusions in PVE. So that just mean power dps Domination chrono will be replaced by illusions line dps chrono how aready suffered many nerf. So overall RIP domination chrono dps. Sad cause only few people was enjoying domination dps build on gs. Chaos line = useless futur Domination line = useless.

You aready lost many veterant player after nefing SOI in PVE in December 2018. GW2 have many veterant player quit to other game due to lack of balance and you guys keep doing it... You realy want your game die.

@Ansau.7326 said:

@Zalani.9827 said:I feel that forcing the Soulbeast to only have 1 pet in combat is unhealthy for the profession. It is going to lead to a constant perma merge playstyle where having that “drawback” won’t even matter since the player has no iniative to unmerge anyways.

Not to mention that one of the more drawing features of playing a ranger is being able to plan your two pets and be versatile. I love when I get the reason to unmerge and quickly swap pet to counter an issue or adapt to a situation, being versatile is part of the spec and profession as a whole. Taking that away from Soulbeast is a shame.

I would rather see damage nerfs or other changes compared to this as someone who mains Soulbeast.

No, it makes sense that the elite that focuses more on synergizing with the pet would have limited the choices or variety. What it is unhealthy for the game is to have all the options and variety from core class, plus an extra mode where you merge and get a huge stat boost, without any drawback.

To come back this, I agree as it does make sense. I should have explained better but I’m worried about it from a gameplay perspective, it feels like the specs going to lose gameplay nuance and choices due to this. It’s not the worst nerf and is dealable with but it’s nice to have combat options when playing.

Although I do think they should look into unmerging in combat having more of a benefit. It’s just not very viable as is, a lot of the time you just stay merged in.

Do you want druid to have ANY role outside of pve? Because it doesn't, and you just made it worse. With some clever changes it could have been viable across all three game modes, but it is very apparent that you think it is fine for ranger to have an elite spec entirely dedicated to one part of one game mode.

And by the way, removing two pets from soulbeast without adressing all the USELESS pets means smokescale will dominate even more than it already did. Your solution is probably to nerf smokescale yet again a few months down the road.

I'm done.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

• Lead the Wind: No longer grants swiftness when performing a projectile combo. Instead grants swiftness for 10 seconds and quickness for 5 seconds (2.5 seconds in PvP and WvW) when striking with an attack from beyond 1200 range. This effect has a 15 second cooldown.omg you're giving them more quickness... you should be taking quickness away from everyone not giving more to the one class who has the most access to it.

The current side effect of lead the wind is useless, and they did nerf all other quickness sources. It's a net loss.

And so what if it has a bunch of quickness. It can't share it with anyone. Ranger has an entire elite spec dedicated to support, problem being that it is shit at doing it outside of raiding.

If ranger is gonna be shit at supporting, it should have personal access to stuff. Pick one.

Something I need to add in terms of Guardian Balance is the desperately required nerf of Feel My Wrath in pve. It grants 8 seconds of Quickness, which can be stacked because it is a 5 person buffing skill. So you put 3-4 Guardians in a group of 5 to provide those 5 people with Quickness. This essentially means you skip a support class that would provide that normally, and a support class of course deals way less damage than another dps class. Thus making the decision very easy to run a lot of Guardians for this specific elite skill. It got so out of hand now that outside of a few bosses, all other raid bosses are now speedrun with only Guardian dps classes for this reason.

Also, forgot to add, between all the passives being moved to 5 minute CDs (really? REALLY? we literally spent the past 4 years makng their CD less because nobody ever touched them), and things like stunbreaks and stability being stripped... What are you guys even doing? Necro for example will go back to being a class unable to solo anything.

Dunno guys. This just sucks on paper.

@Ansau.7326 said:

You are wrong.While merged pet does not deal damage, which is the trade off to increased stats. While merged you gain spells, that is the trade off to losing pet using his skills.

What was too strong was pet using spells, slb merging and using spells, quickly unmerging and then swapping.

They were many different ways to nerf this. All are the same, decreasing the amount of spells used.

• Adding a cast time to pet swap so people can interrupt it.
  • Locking into beastmode, waiting for spells to be unlocked 1 by 1 a bit like tempest.
  • Increasing pet skills cd (like the F2).

This is a nerf based on stupid suggestions made by people who have no clue how slb (or ranger) plays.Just think about snow owl. Why do you use it? Quick mobility and strong anti condi. You do not use it for teamfight. The owl dies in 2-3 hit (maybe 5 in the future at best). Owl will not be used except if you want quick mobility between points.

A TRUE TRADE OFF would be :You have 1 pet and get rewarded for being merged (maybe new spells / effects) or unmerged (like pet slowly getting stronger) for a long period of time.

@Virdo.1540 said:please remove the ability of the druid to give 10man- 25might.It already has insane heal, a pet, tons of utility, the op spirits etc.... even some 10-man aoe heals. There is really no need at all to let it give so much might.

If you nerf Druid's might generation, you leave it as a subpar choice in every aspect of the game.

I'd personally love to see them rework spirits, buff druid's personal dps, and give them more pet synergy with CA. Once Druid is playable outside of Raids, we can look at their might gen if it's out of line, but I don't see a problem with a support being able to generate 25 might, especially since it has to use CA and devote time away from dealing dps in order to generate said might.

• Crystal Configuration: Eclipse: This trait no longer causes Corona Burst to grant stability. Increased base barrier granted from 374 to 991 in PvE and 748 in competitive modes.In addition to my previous comment, I think this is an unnecessary change, Engineer in competitive modes would really lack stability, I would say keep the trait as it is, BUT give it a decreased stability duration to 1 - 1 1/2 second.

I do also think that the other Crystal Configuration traits should be buffed as well. Well, mainly the Crystal Configuration: Storm. I think the range is pretty fine, but a range increase to make the auto attack an actual ranged ability would be cool, I'd also suggest buffing the damage on the auto attack (when traited with Storm), because I find it to be lack luster. If you buffed it, it would make this trait an option for group PvE and PvP as well. Crystal Configuration: Zephyr is also a bit lack luster, it has it's uses in some place (I do enjoy using it in WvW, where I can give superspeed to the people I play with. Can be useful in some PvE cases), but overall it's pretty lackluster. Doesn't have any synergy or much of a good use. I'm not entirely sure how it should be changed, but I think it needs a rework or it should be replaced with a new trait.

"_Soulbeasts, long standing without a tradeoff, are now receiving theirs - they lose combat access to a second pet and must choose carefully which pet they are going to be bonded with in battle.

Soulbeast: Soulbeasts can no longer swap pets while in combat. Merging and unmerging with your pet now counts as a pet swap for the purposes of the Clarion Bond and Zephyr's Speed traits._"

There is no reason for this nerf in PvE, pvp maybe, or wvw, but I see no point to this other than aggravation. If I am running solo in PvE who cares if I can swap pets during combat? Who is it hurting?

It's not like the swap is instant, I still have to unmerge with my pet, swap pets, merge again, adjust the cooldown for swap if needed, but removing the ability entirely is overkill and not helping anything.

@Lazze.9870 said:The current side effect of lead the wind is useless, and they did nerf all other quickness sources. It's a net loss.

And so what if it has a bunch of quickness. It can't share it with anyone. Ranger has an entire elite spec dedicated to support, problem being that it is kitten at doing it outside of raiding.

If ranger is gonna be kitten at supporting, it should have personal access to stuff. Pick one.

lead the wind is useless, but if you don't see anything wrong with a free quickness auto proc then I don't know what to tell you. the other quickness nerfs were light shaves, which was needed. so they pretty much ended up back where they started with this new quickness addition.

@aymnad.9023 said:

You are wrong.While merged pet does not deal damage, which is the trade off to increased stats. While merged you gain spells, that is the trade off to losing pet using his skills.

What was too strong was pet using spells, slb merging and using spells, quickly unmerging and then swapping.

They were many different ways to nerf this. All are the same, decreasing the amount of spells used.
  • Adding a cast time to pet swap so people can interrupt it.
  • Locking into beastmode, waiting for spells to be unlocked 1 by 1 a bit like tempest.
  • Increasing pet skills cd (like the F2).

This is a nerf based on stupid suggestions made by people who have no clue how slb (or ranger) plays.Just think about snow owl. Why do you use it? Quick mobility and strong anti condi. You do not use it for teamfight. The owl dies in 2-3 hit (maybe 5 in the future at best). Owl will not be used except if you want quick mobility between points.

A TRUE TRADE OFF would be :You have 1 pet and get rewarded for being merged (maybe new spells / effects) or unmerged (like pet slowly getting stronger) for a long period of time.

I don't know how I can be wrong when you basically agree with me, that the current implementation of Soulbeat doesn't have any trade off and that is indeed unhealthy for the game. Anet will address it by adding a trade off in a similar way that has worked other elites and that is, in fact, in line with the theme of the soulbeast: Having a stronger bond with their pet.That your opinion about the chanegs is more positive or negative, or it suits more or less your preferences, doesn't change the fact that the future soulbeast will be more balanced, fair and healthy for the game that the current one.