Mounts unhealthy for core player experience ?

@Axelteas.7192 said:

@Axelteas.7192 said:I paid the game in 2012. I tried the PoF expansion in beta and my Pc barely could move the game at 2-3 fps, obviously I'm not gonna buy a expansion i cant play fluidly.Thats why core players should have access to basic mounts or rent tickets.And yes thye mount feature is a pay to win, because riding one in WvW gives you 2 lives, so a core player has to kill him in mount, and then down again while the core only has one. end of story.Its sad that puting Gw2 for free has made that old players that bought the game in beta 2012 are considered and criticized like if they the same newbies that never paid... alt accounts and bots

You know, 2012 is 8 years away from now. My pc which was substituted by me last week for a newer machine was from that year and I can still run the game on that old one perfectly fine using medium to low graphic settings - all above 30 fps. So, your pc must be older than that or a "cheap", not-up-to-date version if bought later. Note that my pc even was a mediocre one and far from high end in 2012. Don't you think that running an - I would call it - inappropriate pc in 2020 is the mistake or a bad habit by the game developer that actively releases content to the recent day? I started playing early 2013 and that didn't stop me to spend a few bucks for both expansion (actually I bought the elite version) and an additional account for 10€ + 15€. For 7.5 years of playing a game with little pauses this is very little money and in addition I bought some gems as well but not regularly and not much. Of course I'm not happy with the game's situation but man so many years of playing and getting so much for free that I'm in some cents per hour of entertaining. One visit at the cinema or a good eating out with colleagues would cost far more than 3 months of playing GW2.That's why I call this sad because it's incredible entitlement from your side.

Well i dont have the money to buy a new gaming pc to be able to play the Pof expansion, but this isnt the topic.The main discussuion is that mounts provide a BIG advantage that makes this considered pay to win.What makes me angry is that when the game was launched Arenanet promised that this would never be pay to have advantages over other players, that pay items would only provide "cosmetic" benefits.And by Enimerating this promises I've been banned for 3 days in this forum... for telling the truth.

It seems Anet dont want new players know the original vision for this game and how they sold it in 2012, the opposite what is now.
  1. If you bought a computer a long time ago, you have to realise that it will become outdated and should save if you wish to stay up to date. If you bought a computer without doing your reasearch on what is good and will last you long enough, then that is on you.
  2. Mounts are not pay to win advantages. An expansion expands the entire game experience in a pay to play way. It isn't pay to win.
  3. They haven't broken their promise over pay to win advantages, that comes down to the gem store only and there are no true advantages their only QOL stuff.

Ya'll would be having a cry because they never released anything new or changed up the game.

As I said, the only time it could ever be an advantage is via WvW, and the way they can fix that is just letting them unlock the Warclaw as we all did, but not let them use it outside of WvW if they don't have PoF. Simple.

Basically, if I have a mount in PvE it doesn't do anything to hurt your experience.They added mounts for the race achievements. They can add that WvW lets everyone have the Warclaw but only in WvW unless you own PoF and then you can use the Warclaw in PvE (not that you would want to because its the slowest and worst mount anyway otherwise).

You are the kind of person that cripples creative visions for the games by acting like progress ruins things for others.

Buying the expansion is the only way to have the full game these days, if you are an original player and refuse to buy the expac for whatever your reasons, thats on you. It doesn't make it pay to win.

Are you sure mounts arent pay to win?

Halloween events are available for everybody , they do not belong to expansion maps.You cant have the lunatic festival achievement, because core players dont have a mount (even rented) to participate in the mad king race.As other mate commented
.You dont pay? you cant win

Rented Mounts Exist.If the achieves can't be got even on a rented mount, then the timer needs to be adjusted to allow the mount to just barely get the time.And even someone with POF could have the same trouble as someone on a rented mount if they haven't bothered to get rhe masteries on their mount.

Having the mount via POF doesn't give you advantage at base level, once you get masteries WHICH YOU AS A PLAYER GO OUT AND EARN.

And my ability to race is still not effecting someone else because during the festivals, there is no achievement for coming in a top 3 position. There is only beating the time limit which means you are racing a clock.

The only time actual race placement matters is in POF maps, where people without mounts aren't going to be.

Free players are free to try players. They have rented mounts. That is all they need.As I have said, I would give the exception to WvW because that is still base game thing (technically), so for movement I think free players should be able to earn the Warclaw and use it in WvW at the very least. But I would dare even let free players have their Warclaw in PvE, its the worst mount anyway for PvE and it could promote purchases because if that cool mount is the worst then I want the better ones.

And the Warclaw would be pretty terrible for races so renting would still be necessary for races.

But overall if you don't buy the expansion for a pay to play game, it is on you.

"But what if I don't have a computer that can run the expansion?"Then your computer probably can't run much at a bare minimum anyway and it is time for you to save up for an upgrade.

"I just bought a PC and it can barely run it?"Then why didn't you do your research so you didn't waste your money on a bad PC in the first place.

"I can't afford the expansion"That isn't anyone else's problem. The expansion is the full game experience these days, the base game is now free to try. If you are level 80 and you want more from the game, you buy the expansion. If you can't buy the expansion right now, that's fine but then you accept that you don't get the rest of the game experience.

Your excuses are tiring. Your accusations that this is Pay To Win is tiring.

You can complain about WvW with mounts, but that's about it. And even that is far from the intention of Pay To Win because it only gives you a mobility advanatge. The extra health is negligible at best.

The bonus attack is probably helpful but yo balance that, you remove damage and instead use it to buff the player with a stack of like protection or whatever. So it is still an initiation skill but doesn't give a quick damage before a player fights. But it isn't a bonus health bar because if you intend to fight, you have to get off otherwise risk getting CCed if your mount dies and getting killed because of that.

First stop refering at me as free player because I paid the core game.I dont give tiring excuses. The main issue is that core players and expansion players share common areas. I dont give a kitten about what they do in expansion maps.What I want is equality in common zones: seasonal feasts and wvw. Its like cores were living in harmony and then the invaders of Pof came to abuse vanilla playes with their overpowered stuff, in this case the mounts.

Why don't you complain about Gliders in the same way?Why don't you complain about Elite Specs in the "shared" area?

The only way to get the full access to the core game is to buy the expansion these days. Just because you bought it originally, doesn't mean you now have what is considered the full game anymore. Times have changed and you aren't keeping up. That's on you.

I have already given VALID reasons as to why it's fine in seasonal events because they can borrow mounts.I have already given a way to make it available for WvW.

"Cores were living in harmony", the game updated and changed, keep up or get left behind. Simple as that.It's a buy to play environment.Your previous purchase of the game in it's core days has now been made irrelevant because expansion purchases are now how you buy the core game. The core zone purchases for full access to the game BELONGS TO THE EXPANSIONS NOW.

It's been years since you could buy the core game only, if you can't keep up, that's on you.

You are making tiring excuses about why the game shouldn't be moving forward.There is a much much smaller population of people who are only playing the core game to this day considering that now buying both expansions is under one banner. It's the best deal possible. If you don't buy it for your own reasons, you get left behind. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

@Axelteas.7192 said:I paid the game in 2012. I tried the PoF expansion in beta and my Pc barely could move the game at 2-3 fps, obviously I'm not gonna buy a expansion i cant play fluidly.Thats why core players should have access to basic mounts or rent tickets.And yes thye mount feature is a pay to win, because riding one in WvW gives you 2 lives, so a core player has to kill him in mount, and then down again while the core only has one. end of story.Its sad that puting Gw2 for free has made that old players that bought the game in beta 2012 are considered and criticized like if they the same newbies that never paid... alt accounts and bots

You know, 2012 is 8 years away from now. My pc which was substituted by me last week for a newer machine was from that year and I can still run the game on that old one perfectly fine using medium to low graphic settings - all above 30 fps. So, your pc must be older than that or a "cheap", not-up-to-date version if bought later. Note that my pc even was a mediocre one and far from high end in 2012. Don't you think that running an - I would call it - inappropriate pc in 2020 is the mistake or a bad habit by the game developer that actively releases content to the recent day? I started playing early 2013 and that didn't stop me to spend a few bucks for both expansion (actually I bought the elite version) and an additional account for 10€ + 15€. For 7.5 years of playing a game with little pauses this is very little money and in addition I bought some gems as well but not regularly and not much. Of course I'm not happy with the game's situation but man so many years of playing and getting so much for free that I'm in some cents per hour of entertaining. One visit at the cinema or a good eating out with colleagues would cost far more than 3 months of playing GW2.That's why I call this sad because it's incredible entitlement from your side.

Well i dont have the money to buy a new gaming pc to be able to play the Pof expansion, but this isnt the topic.The main discussuion is that mounts provide a BIG advantage that makes this considered pay to win.What makes me angry is that when the game was launched Arenanet promised that this would never be pay to have advantages over other players, that pay items would only provide "cosmetic" benefits.And by Enimerating this promises I've been banned for 3 days in this forum... for telling the truth.

It seems Anet dont want new players know the original vision for this game and how they sold it in 2012, the opposite what is now.
  1. If you bought a computer a long time ago, you have to realise that it will become outdated and should save if you wish to stay up to date. If you bought a computer without doing your reasearch on what is good and will last you long enough, then that is on you.
  2. Mounts are not pay to win advantages. An expansion expands the entire game experience in a pay to play way. It isn't pay to win.
  3. They haven't broken their promise over pay to win advantages, that comes down to the gem store only and there are no true advantages their only QOL stuff.

Ya'll would be having a cry because they never released anything new or changed up the game.

As I said, the only time it could ever be an advantage is via WvW, and the way they can fix that is just letting them unlock the Warclaw as we all did, but not let them use it outside of WvW if they don't have PoF. Simple.

Basically, if I have a mount in PvE it doesn't do anything to hurt your experience.They added mounts for the race achievements. They can add that WvW lets everyone have the Warclaw but only in WvW unless you own PoF and then you can use the Warclaw in PvE (not that you would want to because its the slowest and worst mount anyway otherwise).

You are the kind of person that cripples creative visions for the games by acting like progress ruins things for others.

Buying the expansion is the only way to have the full game these days, if you are an original player and refuse to buy the expac for whatever your reasons, thats on you. It doesn't make it pay to win.

Halloween events are available for everybody , they do not belong to expansion maps.You cant have the lunatic festival achievement, because core players dont have a mount (even rented) to participate in the mad king race.As other mate commented

Rented Mounts Exist.If the achieves can't be got even on a rented mount, then the timer needs to be adjusted to allow the mount to just barely get the time.And even someone with POF could have the same trouble as someone on a rented mount if they haven't bothered to get rhe masteries on their mount.

Having the mount via POF doesn't give you advantage at base level, once you get masteries WHICH YOU AS A PLAYER GO OUT AND EARN.

And my ability to race is still not effecting someone else because during the festivals, there is no achievement for coming in a top 3 position. There is only beating the time limit which means you are racing a clock.

The only time actual race placement matters is in POF maps, where people without mounts aren't going to be.

Free players are free to try players. They have rented mounts. That is all they need.As I have said, I would give the exception to WvW because that is still base game thing (technically), so for movement I think free players should be able to earn the Warclaw and use it in WvW at the very least. But I would dare even let free players have their Warclaw in PvE, its the worst mount anyway for PvE and it could promote purchases because if that cool mount is the worst then I want the better ones.

And the Warclaw would be pretty terrible for races so renting would still be necessary for races.

But overall if you don't buy the expansion for a pay to play game, it is on you.

"But what if I don't have a computer that can run the expansion?"Then your computer probably can't run much at a bare minimum anyway and it is time for you to save up for an upgrade.

"I just bought a PC and it can barely run it?"Then why didn't you do your research so you didn't waste your money on a bad PC in the first place.

"I can't afford the expansion"That isn't anyone else's problem. The expansion is the full game experience these days, the base game is now free to try. If you are level 80 and you want more from the game, you buy the expansion. If you can't buy the expansion right now, that's fine but then you accept that you don't get the rest of the game experience.

You can complain about WvW with mounts, but that's about it. And even that is far from the intention of Pay To Win because it only gives you a mobility advanatge. The extra health is negligible at best.

The bonus attack is probably helpful but yo balance that, you remove damage and instead use it to buff the player with a stack of like protection or whatever. So it is still an initiation skill but doesn't give a quick damage before a player fights. But it isn't a bonus health bar because if you intend to fight, you have to get off otherwise risk getting CCed if your mount dies and getting killed because of that.

First stop refering at me as free player because I paid the core game.I dont give tiring excuses. The main issue is that core players and expansion players share common areas. I dont give a kitten about what they do in expansion maps.What I want is equality in common zones: seasonal feasts and wvw. Its like cores were living in harmony and then the invaders of Pof came to abuse vanilla playes with their overpowered stuff, in this case the mounts.

Why don't you complain about Gliders in the same way?Why don't you complain about Elite Specs in the "shared" area?

The only way to get the full access to the core game is to buy the expansion these days. Just because you bought it originally, doesn't mean you now have what is considered the full game anymore. Times have changed and you aren't keeping up. That's on you.

I have already given VALID reasons as to why it's fine in seasonal events because they can borrow mounts.I have already given a way to make it available for WvW.

"Cores were living in harmony", the game updated and changed, keep up or get left behind. Simple as that.It's a buy to play environment.Your previous purchase of the game in it's core days has now been made irrelevant because expansion purchases are now how you buy the core game. The core zone purchases for full access to the game BELONGS TO THE EXPANSIONS NOW.

It's been years since you could buy the core game only, if you can't keep up, that's on you.

You are making tiring excuses about why the game shouldn't be moving forward.There is a much much smaller population of people who are only playing the core game to this day considering that now buying both expansions is under one banner. It's the best deal possible. If you don't buy it for your own reasons, you get left behind. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

You defend Anet way to "moving forward" ($) as if you were the mother creator of Gw2. Chill.The greatest loser here is Anet. All my guild friends that came here from other mmos left the game after a year was released because it lacked that sense of progression or incentivation. No matter how you put effort youll always have the same armor as a sunday casual...

I continued playing, trying to find some fun in the "endgame", as me other people.Letting old players be humiliated, misleaded, and crushed by overpowered specializations and pay-to-win advantages only KILLS the game even more and decreases the population. Old people ies tired to be anihilated and treated like sheet.

The only goals I still have is getting ascended weapons from pvp rewards, but I hate every pvp wvw toxic match I play thanks to Anet.

It seems Anet forgets that old players buy gems too. Great way to treat your customers.

@"AdFinitum.1976" said:Hi,

I played the free core game for quiet a while until I recently decided to buy HoT and PoF - since I knew I like the game. However - before buying PoF I already noticed that players with mounts have a huge advantage over F2P players that is way beyond the previous limitations and way more noticable. One could argue that free players should take it as is since they play for free. However I have a feeling that this way too noticable disadvantage will discourage players trying the game from actually upgrading to the full version because they are punished and discouraged before being able to find out how big and nice GW2 actually is.

Personally I suppose the best solution to this problem would be to have a basic mount ( slightly slower than the other mounts and with no special abilities ) available even to core players. This might also solve the no mounts in WvW problem ( unless the reasons for this are technical issues ).

Often I fail to correctly convey my point - so please be aware that my intention is not to criticize but rather to prevent GW2's playersbase to drop since we all have a more enjoyable game experience with a big enough playerbase.

Actually, the core mount you are describing sounds like the Warclaw, the WvW mount, it's a little bit slower than the raptor and also has 2 leaps:)!

I myself find the grand availability of waypoints to personally be more of a problem than mounts in the core maps to be honest, I like wp's but they are at every corner of the map xD, but I know many people rely on all these wp's so I think they should make an option to "hide" several waypoints on your map if you want to.The new living world maps only have 2-4 waypoints which I find a good balance for tp'ing and using mounts.

But I understand your arguments, especially the raptor and the bunny are quite amazing for map completion, but a bit unfair for free to play players in that regard, they introduced some "no mounts allowed" zones, near jumping puzzles etc. but I don't know if this would solve the problem if they add more due to them being quite interruptive

I don't think free to play players will be unmotivated, they might see it as a nice treat to look forward to when they decide to buy the expansions (which honestly doesn't cost much, especially because for the price of one you get two:) ), I leveled to 80 before buying an expansion and I absolutely loved the exploration part of it, sure everything was slower when I'm looking back at the time I didn't have mounts but it was a nice, overwhelming experience nonetheless:)

@Axelteas.7192 said:

You defend Anet way to "moving forward" ($) as if you were the mother creator of Gw2. Chill.The greatest loser here is Anet. All my guild friends that came here from other mmos left the game after a year was released because it lacked that sense of progression or incentivation. No matter how you put effort youll always have the same armor as a sunday casual...

I continued playing, trying to find some fun in the "endgame", as me other people.Letting old players be humiliated, misleaded, and crushed by overpowered specializations and pay-to-win advantages only KILLS the game even more and decreases the population. Old people ies tired to be anihilated and treated like sheet.

The only goals I still have is getting ascended weapons from pvp rewards, but I hate every pvp wvw toxic match I play thanks to Anet.

It seems Anet forgets that old players buy gems too. Great way to treat your customers.

Buy the game, theres your answer. Dont have a computer to run it, save up and buy one. the computer im using now cost 900$ and it runs every game i own at 60 or higher, thats not to expensive if you put away 20-50$ a paycheck.

One cannot claim poor me when most of us who started at launch have paid full price or more for both expansions. This game and its company doesnt make enough money to run a vanilla server(nor is there probably enough players to even bother.), and a regular server.

If your friends came here seeking that sense of progression thats their fault, this game was advertised and has been since pre release as having no gear grind, you cannot blame anet for that.