Low FPS with 5700xt

The problem consists of many factors coming together

First is the really bad implementation of DX9 in the AMD Radeon R5700series drivers.Second is that GW2 mostly uses the CPU and only to some extend the GPU.Third is that the 2020 series of AMD drivers do not only have problems with DX9, but there is even a situation where there could be a black screen on the Windows Desktop as the driver gets unloaded. This is triggered by 912pxy for me too.

So we have problem which is AMD related to two thirds and one third by Arenanet. Usually an engine cant be changed so far, but here we have a problem with the implementation of DX9. We saw that some other DX9 games are working without problems. Maybe ArenaNet could check this.

As for AMD, ArenaNet should be in contact with AMD to solve this soon, as they will lose many players to other games like this.

In my case i either have lags every now and then for a few seconds or i get a black screen of death. As one commanding mostly in WvW, some in PvE and doing som PvP here and there, lags and stutters are not too good, right?

I wanted to try the D9VK from this thread, but actually that domain does not exist. There is a wrapper from DX9 to Vulkan too, but i could not find a compiled version of that one to test.

Trying D9VK brought my 2 GW2.exe errors in PvP and the comments of a matchmanipulating troll, which i reported. So back to square 1 again.And why do you get a dishonor debuff when the game gives you a GW2.exe error?

My speccs btw:Intel i7-7700KMSi Z270 PC MATE2x 8GB Corsair DDR4-2400Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5700Windows is on a Cruicial MX100, GW2 on a Samsung 970 Evo.

• 2 weeks later...

@Wandrer.8173 said:The problem consists of many factors coming together [iN PART]

Actually after creating a new charechter, I've had exactly zero black screens, or frame rate issues or frame time stutters. Had a single application crash this evening and loaded right back up to keep playing issue free for another couple hours.

If it's any help, I'm running 20.1.3 drivers and have no intent to update them as they work with everything I play currently.

• 1 month later...

@"Infusion.7149" said:dxvk on github , untar it and grab the d3d9 and dxgi , drop them in bin64 folder:https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

older d9vk link https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/d9vk that refers you to the dxvk site

To remove it just delete the two dll

Initial performance will be stutter-prone until the shader cache rebuilds.

I must be incompetent or blind, because I can't find a single DLL, only folders.

@vian.3945 said:

@"Infusion.7149" said:dxvk on github , untar it and grab the d3d9 and dxgi , drop them in bin64 folder:

older d9vk link
that refers you to the dxvk site

To remove it just delete the two dll

Initial performance will be stutter-prone until the shader cache rebuilds.

I must be incompetent or blind, because I can't find a single DLL, only folders.

Direct link to the file mentioned: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/download/v1.6/dxvk-1.6.tar.gz;)

• 1 year later...

Bit of a necro...

I too have been suffering from severe performance issues with Radeon RX5700 XT. I have been using d912pxy to make the game somewhat playable, but not really happy with that solution. Inspired by some other forums and Youtube-videos I tried running the game with DX9 libraries and what a difference. Everything runs silky smooth, no sign of the stuttering and poor refresh rate.

So steps I took:

1. Download and install DX9 standalone from Microsoft. NOTE! You still need to run the installer after you extract files from the downloaded package. 
 (do not trust random download sources) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109
2. Add "-force-d3d9" to the game launcher target. So it should be something like ("...\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -force-d3d9)

3. Remember to uninstall d912pxy or similar if you have it installed

(OPTIONAL):
* Run this program as Administrator
* Disable fullscreen optimizations

I have not done any extensive testing but so far things look very promising.

On 9/4/2019 at 4:31 PM, Lipstickxx.1043 said:

Hi,

I am getting really low fps (20-30) @ 1080p using a 3700x / 5700xt with 16GB of RAM.

Anyone else with the same or close specs experiencing low fps as well?

Hello, I have RX580 8GB / 16GB ram and always played with 64+ fps, WvW never drop 40+, after this update in LA now i have 8 fps.

Edited by Noturno.9186

This weird DX9 Navi bug is still present - even on Navi2 GPUs (I own an RX 6700XT).

From one minute to another I had this usage bug where my GPU won't clock above 900MHz in GW2 with a resulting framerate between 30 and 40 and incredible stuttering (so the framerate felt more like 15 fps) at 1080p maxxed out. And as quick as it appeared, it disappeared again after a few days. No driver updates have been done during that time (just a re-install that didn' help).

I guess even AMD does not know what causes this.

And yes: if you encounter that bug: just use D912PXY - this is a 100% successful workaround. And the moment the game is updated to DX11 it will be gone forever.

Edited by KrHome.1920

I found a video on youtube about ( Addon Manager and DirectX 12 Guide for Guild Wars 2) made by
MuklukYoutube and I decided to test it, to my surprise 64/97 fps, i posted on forum, but this topic have a lot repply maybe help anyone same problem.
Edited by Noturno.9186

GW2 poor performance isn't an AMD issue (unless your issue is something different here). I have a RTX 2080ti and it runs just as louzy as it did when I had a 1080ti in my older PC. If the issue is because it's 32 bit architecture, then maybe Arenanet needs to get with the program like every one else. The same with w/e old graphics architecture they are using.

2 hours ago, Remnar.1026 said:

GW2 poor performance isn't an AMD issue (unless your issue is something different here). I have a RTX 2080ti and it runs just as louzy as it did when I had a 1080ti in my older PC. If the issue is because it's 32 bit architecture, then maybe Arenanet needs to get with the program like every one else. The same with w/e old graphics architecture they are using.

Speaking about AMD: Other DX9 games have that bug to and AMD confirmed the issue. AMD had a few driver releases more than a year ago, where they worked on power state bugs, which might be the issue. But up to now there does not exist a definitive fix.

Besides the poor draw call handling (which D912PXY fixes too), the performance of the game is actually pretty good. Everyone that has the slightest idea about hardware demands of specific game content knows this.

I have no idea why you think 32Bit might be the cause of anything here.

Edited by KrHome.1920

• 2 weeks later...

Set the GPUs clock manually at a higher rate to prevent the downstepping in clocks in certain situations that causes most stuttering.

It can help.

For me DX12/VK didn't help with that issue though.

Running a 6900XT, it is super annoying. It started with a specific driver for me but can't remember which one it was.

Before that Zergs with maxed out settings run just wonderfull.

Hopefully DX11 will help with that, hopefully.