Expansion level content?

@thepenmonster.3621 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I'll judge after the Season/Saga is over.

This the correct approach

This would have been my approach except that the question is about the current content. There is still plenty of room for the Saga as a whole to add up to an expansion, but so far it's a slow start. As I was saddened when they originally said elites would only come with expansions -- I had hoped some LS releases or balance patches would include elites -- I now feel that without that major update to playstyles it's not truly expansion level.

Which doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it, or that I am in any way upset that it's not expansion level content. I just don't think what's come so far quite meets what I define as an expansion or currently holds indications that it will.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two main reasons why Living World is not expansion level content are its lack of headlining features and its bite-sized delivery. Due to these two factors, it cannot generate the same level of excitement in the playerbase, nor does it attract new and returning players as effectively as an expansion could.

I like how they are adding to the new map, but it shows how design is affected when you get content piecemeal. My favorite maps are the PoF maps due to there moderate complexity and their massive size. While technically Bjora Marches has been expanded upon, the fact that it is not being delivered all at once results in the issue of having a massive wall in the middle of it. Dynamic events stay in their respective areas too. Only real difference between what we got and two separate maps is not having a loading screen between the two sections. Also, I do really want another elite spec. My warrior needs more weapons xD

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Your pole options are bad. But that's not exactly unusual.

But it's important to consider that we are only 3 out of 9 episodes (based on the portal tome) into the season, so we won't have all that "expansion level stuff" yet.

Judge when we get to episode 5, at the earliest.

I have a theory/hope we'll be getting one thing of big expansion-level quality with Episode 3, and such is why they've not mentioned it yet despite its release supposedly to be mid-March (still Q1 yet they covered their Q1 stuff in that blog post).

So 9 episodes what if they drop 9 elite specs in the last episode then as they been working one during each episode

So far, its all blah. There are still episodes to go and who knows, maybe a surprise will come along. My take on expansions is that there is a fundamental change in howthe game can be played. First expansion, we got gliding. Second expansion, we got mounts. So, is something like that coming? I doubt it, but that doesn't mean I can't hope.

@"Obtena.7952" said:It's not even reasonable to set your own expectations for what expansion-level content is ... then accuse Anet of not delivering that EVEN once the Saga is done. What even IS expansion level content? Limited to things we got from expansions before? New things we never seen?

Well, I was told that we can't judge one of the "expansion level content" features which were build templates - before it's release. And here we are 4 months later with build templates still not working as templates. But hey, at least we can enjoy expansion level strikes that reward you with single unidentified rare item for finishing it on gold instead of silver (:

@"Obtena.7952" said:What even IS expansion level content?

I kinda feel like this is the most important aspect to consider.

Most complaints about "not expansion level content" is about the lack of raids/fractals, updates to PvP and WvW, legendary gear, new type of PvE content, masteries, and elite specializations.

But neither expansion actually provided fractals or raids (our first raid came out a full month after HoT). Same with legendary gear. Those two were always primarily Living World content types. PoF didn't update PvP or WvW either, while we're expecting such for Icebrood Saga in Q1 in theory. Icebrood Saga has provided new type of PvE content (Strikes) and masteries (while the current one's aren't the best things ever, neither were 90% of HoT's, and we're also 4x as many masteries per episode as S3 or S4). Thus, the only thing we're lacking from complaints, is elite specializations.

We're 3 releases in, and I'd say we got half of an expansion's worth already, personally.

It probably doesn't matter what is offered in this current Saga/Season. Some players claimed the Path of Fire Expansion didn't meet their expectations, and wasn't a true expansion (in their eyes). Some didn't care for Heart of Thorns, either.

Expansion/expansion-like or no, there will always be some players that are content, and some that are not.

People say you can't judge the saga because it is not done.Can you not judge the direction of the game though? Nothing points toward anything remotely conceivable as expansion-like content. I think most will agree that just getting more of what has come out the last two patches is not enough to keep players active/interested. It is minimal effort to string along desperate folks.

It is all meh

If the expansion level content shows up at the end of the season, that wouldn't make this season expansion level. That would make that single update expansion level.

The exception is that they keep on updating this single map to be larger, add updates to every section including Grothmar Valley every major patch, and finally put elite specs or new spec lines in the game.

Np for all the reasons you mentioned honestly and thats not a bad thing, we need expansions but we dont need every pidce of content to try and be tha exoansion level stuff. Expansion lvl content is calles that because for other games it spends 2 years baking before we get it and we cant w8 2 years before each patch.

WE NEED expansion content AND JUST GOOD ENOUGH content between expacs, but we need both.

Content itslef is leagues off what we had interms of expansion co tent before but i gotta say the cadense is solid.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Obtena.7952" said:What even IS expansion level content?

I kinda feel like this is the most important aspect to consider.

Most complaints about "not expansion level content" is about the lack of raids/fractals, updates to PvP and WvW, legendary gear, new type of PvE content, masteries, and elite specializations.

But neither expansion actually provided fractals
or
raids (our first raid came out a full month after HoT). Same with legendary gear. Those two were always primarily Living World content types. PoF didn't update PvP or WvW either, while we're expecting such for Icebrood Saga in Q1 in theory. Icebrood Saga
has
provided new type of PvE content (Strikes) and masteries (while the current one's aren't the best things ever, neither were 90% of HoT's, and we're also 4x as many masteries per episode as S3 or S4). Thus, the only thing we're lacking from complaints, is elite specializations.

We're 3 releases in, and I'd say we got half of an expansion's worth already, personally.

I would agree. Someone was griping that cooking 500 isn't expansion level content ... but it is.

Anyone trying to defend this season-saga as expansion level content are in a state of denial. To date there is barely enough to constitute a season let alone an expansion. The zones and dynamic events alone don't even come close to expansion volume we've seen in HoT or PoF. You want to continue to support Anet and are able to accept this new cadence, fine but stop trying to make this season more that it is, stop trying to redefine what players have and history has clearly defined as an expansion because this clearly isn't the same thing and you're just being absurd.

HoT expansion introduced gliders and 1st elite specPoF expansion introduced mounts and 2nd elite spec

These things are expansion level content because we didn't see them in the living seasons but only in the expansions. Anything else we have seen in living world seasons.

Are similar things introduced in the current living season / saga?

No.

So there is NO expansion level content.

End of story.

@"Raizel.1839" said:No because the only expansion I want to see is Cantha.I don't care about the reason to go there, just get me there, even if it kills the lore!

Such a weak argument. "Its not expansion level content because i dont like it."

Guess HoT Wasnt expansion level content.

I hope we never go there, the lore reasons we cant are pretty significant, and honestly its going to be about 1/3 smaller than it was in GW1 due to the ocean rising(sinking massive amounts of land we know this to be true due to the battle isles being sunk with the rising of orr), the Jade sea being a sea again(Theres very little out there thats solid in gw1 it was mostly jade with a few small islands here and there), and Kurzicks and Luxons no longer exist, they have been absorbed into a xenophobic empire that doesnt want any outsiders -period- hence why the tengu have a city near LA.