Knock-On Effects for Scrapper in PvP

Vagrant.7206

Hammer

• Autoattack Chain:
    • Positive Bash: Reduced power coefficient from 0.7 to 0.533. Reduced might duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds
    • Negative Bash: Reduced power coefficient from 1.0 to 0.666. Reduced vulnerability duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds
    • Equalizing blow: Reduced power coefficient from 1.4 to 0.933. Reduced might and vulnerability durations from 8 seconds to 6 seconds
  • Electro-Whirl: Reduced power coefficient per strike from 1.2 to 0.68. Increased cooldown from 6 seconds to 8 seconds
  • Rocket Charge: Reduced power coefficient per strike from 1.1 to 0.74. Increased cooldown from 12 seconds to 18 seconds
  • Shock Shield: Reduced power coefficient per strike from 0.25 to 0.1
  • Thunderclap: Reduced power coefficient per strike from 0.8 to 0.45. Reduced vulnerability duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds

Impact Savant is unchanged in the upcoming balance patch. So scrapper's health pool will continue to remain lower. BUUUUUT because its damage output is also being lowered, its ability to sustain is also taking a direct nerf. I'm not sure any other spec or class is seeing both its sustain and damage hurt at the same time with just a damage change.

But look at the nerfs for everything else:

• Auto-attacks got a 33% nerf. That's a 33% reduction in barrier generated by these skills.
  • Electro-whirl got a 44% nerf. That's a 44% reduction in barrier generated by this skill.
  • Rocket charge got a 33% nerf. That's a 33% reduction in barrier generated by these skills.
  • Shock shield got a 60% nerf. That's a 60% reduction in barrier generated by this skill (not including the barrier per hit, which is unaffected)
  • Thunderclap got a 44% nerf. That's a 44% reduction in barrier generated by this skill

This bodes ill for a class that already struggles in competitive play. I hope they will reexamine scrapper soon for this reason, and lower the health debuff from Impact Savant, or increase the barrier generation % (from 15% to something like 20% to compensate)

TL;DR -- For those who use condi scrapper builds, you won't see much change in your sustain. But for people who use power scrapper builds, you will.

Like I have mentioned plenty of times before : Impact Savant just straight up sucks as a forced minor trait.

I'd rather Impact Savant could instead take that 300 vitality and convert it into a 300 vitality worth of Barrier which Regenerates slowly when the player has not been struck for at least 5 seconds.

It's actually even worse than what you have at present: note the increased cool-downs on Electro-whirl and Rocket Charge, the former of which is arguably hammer's best damage-dealing ability and the latter being effectively the only mobility that hammer (and, in turn, scrapper) has for things like chase potential/sticking on a target. Scrapper has always struggled as a melee-oriented spec, an issue that was compounded when the devs decided that more of its sustain should be tied to actively hitting in combat for barrier-generation; these changes will only add further complications.

While I will not deny that scrapper still has (and will likely retain) potential due to its broad array of damage-mitigating and health-restoration skills/traits/applications, some of these adjustments seem about as well-conceived as the nerf to pistol's already negligible power damage. Vagrant, please post your observations to the main thread on the upcoming changes to enhance their visibility.

Completely agree with @Etaoin, the main problem that the scrapper have (and always had from my point of view) is not the damage numbers, the problem is the capability of do damage.

With no teleports, low range (no weapon swap and EG AA is just testimonial damage ), no gap closers apart from rocket charge (wich is not fast either) its hard to make consistent damage on targets that had all the previous features. I would change all the damage (0.01) from rocket charge and even the evasion frames for a noticeable CD reduction or a reliable alternative that allow me to be on top of the tarjet spamming AAs and Electro-whirl.

@Vagrant.7206 said:TL;DR -- For those who use condi scrapper builds, you won't see much change in your sustain. But for people who use power scrapper builds, you will.... alchemy is nerfed (which hits power too), firearms is nerfed, pistols are nerfed (condi and power, hilariously).

Dont pretend like power is something special here, or that the scrapper traitline exist in a bubble.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:TL;DR -- For those who use condi scrapper builds, you won't see much change in your sustain. But for people who use power scrapper builds, you will.... alchemy is nerfed (which hits power too), firearms is nerfed, pistols are nerfed (condi
and
power, hilariously).

Dont pretend like power is something special here, or that the scrapper traitline exist in a bubble.

The relative power level of all classes is dropping. The thing is, power scrapper took a double whammy because it is doing that outgoing strike damage substantially more than condi is.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Vagrant.7206" said:

Hammer
  • Autoattack Chain:
    • Positive Bash: Reduced power coefficient from 0.7 to 0.533. Reduced might duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds
    • Negative Bash: Reduced power coefficient from 1.0 to 0.666. Reduced vulnerability duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds
    • Equalizing blow: Reduced power coefficient from 1.4 to 0.933. Reduced might and vulnerability durations from 8 seconds to 6 seconds
  • Electro-Whirl: Reduced power coefficient per strike from 1.2 to 0.68. Increased cooldown from 6 seconds to 8 seconds
  • Rocket Charge: Reduced power coefficient per strike from 1.1 to 0.74. Increased cooldown from 12 seconds to 18 seconds
  • Thunderclap: Reduced power coefficient per strike from 0.8 to 0.45. Reduced vulnerability duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds

is unchanged in the upcoming balance patch. So scrapper's health pool will continue to remain lower.
BUUUUUT
because its damage output is also being lowered, its ability to sustain is also taking a direct nerf. I'm not sure any other spec or class is seeing both its sustain and damage hurt at the same time with just a damage change.

• Auto-attacks got a
    33%
    nerf. That's a 33% reduction in barrier generated by these skills.
  • Electro-whirl got a
    44%
    nerf. That's a 44% reduction in barrier generated by this skill.
  • Rocket charge got a
    33%
  • Shock shield got a
    60%
    nerf. That's a 60% reduction in barrier generated by this skill (not including the barrier per hit, which is unaffected)
  • Thunderclap got a
    44%
    nerf. That's a 44% reduction in barrier generated by this skill

This bodes ill for a class that already struggles in competitive play. I hope they will reexamine scrapper soon for this reason, and lower the health debuff from Impact Savant, or increase the barrier generation % (from 15% to something like 20% to compensate)

TL;DR -- For those who use condi scrapper builds, you won't see much change in your sustain. But for people who use power scrapper builds, you will.

Scrapper gonna be pretty damn good if you ask me . Just hoping Condi Rev doesn't actually become a thing.....that shit looks pretty cancer.

@Ouk.5914 said:

@"Vagrant.7206" said:

Hammer
  • Autoattack Chain:

is unchanged in the upcoming balance patch. So scrapper's health pool will continue to remain lower.
BUUUUUT
because its damage output is also being lowered, its ability to sustain is also taking a direct nerf. I'm not sure any other spec or class is seeing both its sustain and damage hurt at the same time with just a damage change.

• Auto-attacks got a
    33%
  • Electro-whirl got a
    44%
  • Rocket charge got a
    33%
  • Shock shield got a
    60%
    nerf. That's a 60% reduction in barrier generated by this skill (not including the barrier per hit, which is unaffected)
  • Thunderclap got a
    44%

Scrapper gonna be pretty kitten good if you ask me . Just hoping Condi Rev doesn't actually become a thing.....that kitten looks pretty cancer.... not sure what you base that assumption on, given the information presented.

Also condi rev is already a thing, it's one of the best single target condi bursters that exist and it puts the condi mesmer to shame. However, that's getting nerfed too.

At the end of the day, Scrapper still suffers from literally being Engi +

Wells aren't nearly as impactful as Photon Forge to warrant using it as an Elite Spec other than for purely supportive purposes, and they are in fact, even worse than Core Engi because their Elite Toolbelt was taken from them.

@Yasai.3549 said:At the end of the day, Scrapper still suffers from literally being Engi +

Wells aren't nearly as impactful as Photon Forge to warrant using it as an Elite Spec other than for purely supportive purposes, and they are in fact, even worse than Core Engi because their Elite Toolbelt was taken from them.Heh, I looked through some of my old youtube uploads and caught eye on a T3 solo camp capture (think it was in response to people saying it was impossible) and was struck by remembering just how fun the original gyros was. All gyros, hybrid condi build (which was still viable in the HoT era where the main condi competitor was the reaper... Which lacked range). Flipping gyros all the time, lightning fields everywhere.

But now... Purity of Purpose.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:

Wells aren't nearly as impactful as Photon Forge to warrant using it as an Elite Spec other than for purely supportive purposes, and they are in fact, even worse than Core Engi because their Elite Toolbelt was taken from them.Heh, I looked through some of my old youtube uploads and caught eye on a T3 solo camp capture (think it was in response to people saying it was impossible) and was struck by remembering just how
fun
the original gyros was. All gyros, hybrid condi build (which was still viable in the HoT era where the main condi competitor was the reaper... Which lacked range). Flipping gyros all the time, lightning fields everywhere.

But now...
Purity of Purpose

All they had to do, was make the Gyros follow the user.

Nothing more nothing less.And now we have this beautiful mess.

The new traits were obviously totally made with Hammer in mind.

Elite Specs shouldn't force players to use the Spec weapon as an identity, that's just shoehorning players into builds.

Agh.... they should just give Engineer new weapons already.

Like a nice mainhand and offhand Dagger set would be cool, and if they have some weird hybrid of Condi and Power skills to be a sort of "swiss army knife" weapon set.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Ouk.5914 said:

@"Vagrant.7206" said:

Hammer
  • Autoattack Chain:

BUUUUUT

• Auto-attacks got a
    33%
  • Electro-whirl got a
    44%
  • Rocket charge got a
    33%
  • Shock shield got a
    60%
  • Thunderclap got a
    44%

Scrapper gonna be pretty kitten good if you ask me . Just hoping Condi Rev doesn't actually become a thing.....that kitten looks pretty cancer.... not sure what you base that assumption on, given the information presented.

Also condi rev is already a thing, it's one of the best single target condi bursters that exist and it puts the condi mesmer to shame. However, that's getting nerfed too.

Based on the fact that scrapper probably going to be one of the best spec to have multi sources to obtain Stab, and Sustain.

Condi Rev could be meta but unsure on how it'll do in 1vsX as a side noder. We won't know for sure till patch hits.

@Ouk.5914 said:

@Ouk.5914 said:

@"Vagrant.7206" said:

Hammer
  • Autoattack Chain:

BUUUUUT

• Auto-attacks got a
    33%
  • Electro-whirl got a
    44%
  • Rocket charge got a
    33%
  • Shock shield got a
    60%
  • Thunderclap got a
    44%

Based on the fact that scrapper probably going to be one of the best spec to have multi sources to obtain Stab, and Sustain.

Condi Rev could be meta but unsure on how it'll do in 1vsX as a side noder. We won't know for sure till patch hits.Keep in mind that the sustain has been heavily nerfed on core trees. And even a scrapper use 2 of those. The stab I dont see is any difference from today (except lower durations) and other classes wont get more CC so you get nothing.

So that it would become the best spec assumes its the best spec today.

It is not.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Ouk.5914 said:

@Ouk.5914 said:

@"Vagrant.7206" said:

Hammer
  • Autoattack Chain:

BUUUUUT

• Auto-attacks got a
    33%
  • Electro-whirl got a
    44%
  • Rocket charge got a
    33%
  • Shock shield got a
    60%
  • Thunderclap got a
    44%

Condi Rev could be meta but unsure on how it'll do in 1vsX as a side noder. We won't know for sure till patch hits.Keep in mind that the sustain has been heavily nerfed on core trees. And even a scrapper use 2 of those. The stab I dont see is any difference from today (except lower durations) and other classes wont get more CC so you get nothing.

It is not.

you should really sit down and re-look into the balance patch notes and then Look at the rework of explosives +scrapper trait line.

Even with the Nerf to "sustain" it'll still be good with the utilities engi are allowed to have/use. You also don't see the stab difference because you aren't trying hard enough to figure out what possible way can scrapper really get access to stab that Holo or Core aren't allowed to have after the balance patch.

Sit down , Reread the scrapper traits, Reread the explosive trait rework carefully, Relook at the Scrapper Utilities and Core Engi Utilities, Then take a look at the runes that went untouched.

Scrapper has a fairly high high potential of possibly being busted IF the explosive trait line is any good as it reads.

@Ouk.5914 said:

@Ouk.5914 said:

@Ouk.5914 said:

@"Vagrant.7206" said:

Hammer
  • Autoattack Chain:

BUUUUUT

• Auto-attacks got a
    33%
  • Electro-whirl got a
    44%
  • Rocket charge got a
    33%
  • Shock shield got a
    60%
  • Thunderclap got a
    44%

It is not.

you should really sit down and re-look into the balance patch notes and then Look at the rework of explosives +scrapper trait line.

Even with the Nerf to "sustain" it'll still be good with the utilities engi are allowed to have/use. You also don't see the stab difference because you aren't trying hard enough to figure out what possible way can scrapper really get access to stab that Holo or Core aren't allowed to have after the balance patch.

Sit down , Reread the scrapper traits, Reread the explosive trait rework carefully, Relook at the Scrapper Utilities and Core Engi Utilities, Then take a look at the runes that went untouched.

Scrapper has a fairly high high potential of possibly being busted IF the explosive trait line is any good as it reads.Explosives offer little in the way of sustain. The explosion heals are minor (it doesnt even come close to the old scrapper sustain). Alchemy sustain is nerfed, inventions sustain is nerfed.

Scrapper have reduced durations on its all its stability skills, or increased cd. Neither Holo nor Core have any changes to stability. Edit: Well Crystal Configuration: Eclipse was nerfed in PvE with no stab, this wasnt mentioned in PvP/WvW.

• 2 weeks later...

So things are going pretty much as predicted. Scrapper is still tough, but the cool down increases are noticeable both in terms of damage output and survival. What I actually find most conspicuous is the sluggishness of the spec now: that extra six second cool down on Rocket Charge is rough. Honestly, I can deal with the coefficient decreases, but this change is just painful. The team took an already slow play style and gave it even less impact; they made it less fun.

The cool down increase on Defense Field is also notable; I honestly think that 40 seconds is excessive (30 was fine). That said, I think I might be able to swallow even this change if they would just let us move at more than a snail's pace in combat.

@Etaoin.4362 said:So things are going pretty much as predicted. Scrapper is still tough, but the cool down increases are noticeable both in terms of damage output and survival. What I actually find most conspicuous is the sluggishness of the spec now: that extra six second cool down on Rocket Charge is rough. Honestly, I can deal with the coefficient decreases, but this change is just painful. The team took an already slow play style and gave it even less impact; they made it less fun.

The cool down increase on Defense Field is also notable; I honestly think that 40 seconds is excessive (30 was fine). That said, I think I might be able to swallow even this change if they would just let us move at more than a snail's pace in combat.

Sounds about right. I always felt scrapper was too sluggish for my tastes, and this confirms it.

Scrapper is weak sauce right now. You can land several auto chains on someone with a marauder amulet and it barely scratches their health bar. Hammer autos should hit much harder considering how sluggish they are. Cooldowns on hammer are much too high now. Nerfing the coeficients as hard as they did was more than enough. I deal more damage spamming auto attacks in mortar than I do in melee range with hammer. It's sad really.

It's probably better in WvW where customizable builds exist, but I've never cared for the game mode. Shame since Scrapper seems permanently resigned to that game mode only.