New E-Specs in 2020?

@Linken.6345 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:The amount of time needed to create and balance 9 new elite specs is far too big for them to be released outside of an expansion.

It's far too big a task to be done as living world.. and even if it was done and Anet decided to release another expansion in the future people would quickly start to ask questions like.. why should we have to pay for this expansion when all the features in it we've been getting for free over the last few years.

The biggest problem with promiting messages like.. Expansion like content.Give people things for free and they will expect you to continue to do so.

I wouldn't mind paying for the e-specs separately if the LW gives expac-level maps and features.

The amount of pay to win rage that would cause though xD

Since when paid DLC is p2w?

It's not necs that it would be p2w, there would be a huge cry about it nonetheless. Anet have admitted in the past that elites have steadily caused a power creep over the years. It is a natural assumption therefore that a new elite would cause a new power creep. And since you exclusively are purchasing that power, that argument would be made (loudly).

I'm not sure I agree with the reasoning, but I can understand the complaint

Stupid arguements shouldn't be the reason for a desicion. Like I said, if youre mainly a spvp/wvwvw player you're buying the expac for the especs ANYWAYS.So, instead of playing 40 bucks or so for a huge expac you get free expac level content and just pay a bit for the especs. Anyone who would actually argue against that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Yeah but having specs in expansions is a big difference to just having the specs as a monitized feature.. like on the gemstore for example.Some argue the expansions are pay to win because of elite specs or in other games where they increase level caps or gear progression etc but that kind of thing is expected in expansions and would cause more outrage if you were paying for an expansion that didnt add some new way to expand/improve your character.Expansions expand the pre exisrting game.. pretty much why they're called expansions.

Putting specs on the gemstore would be much like putting a new tier of gear with higher stats than ascended exclusively on the gemstore.. people would be right to call foul on that and claim pay to win.. specially if that gear were usable in competitive modes.It wouldn't be on the gem store. It would be a separate DLC. The game IS buy to play after all. DLC is the backbone of that model. For crying out loud, if you don't login during a certain period you have to buy LW episodes for a small fee right? They are also DLC.

Well you buy living world on the gemstore :P

In general though I don't particularly like that concept myself, I find that for newer or players returning from long breaks that catchup price can be pretty heavy and very off putting.. and the longer you're put off on coming back the bigger that price tag gets.The only plus side being that you can play the game and earn the gold to buy gems to buy the episodes but it's still a pretty poor model imo.

After all if you've never heard of Gw2 and come into the game now, decide you love it and want to catch up it's pretty disheartening looking at all the money you need spend to do it.. and more so when you learn that most other players only had to pay for a couple expansions as they got all the living world free just by playing.Can make someone feel like they're being screwed over.. or being punished for being late to the party, I've had friends say as much as their main reason for not wanting to invest in Gw2.

You mean those players that only had to pay for core, hot and pof that you now get with only buying pof?Yea so evil that they get dlc for free that people who havent been here the first 6 years have to pay for when they arrive.

You mean players like me who own the Gw2 collectors edition and Ultimate editions of both HoT and PoF lol

My point wasn't that we get the living world for free, it was more about how off putting the pricing is for the living world if you're a newer player who's missed out on several years of it.Personally I'd tie the previous living world episodes into the expansion cost instead of making HoT free with PoFBuy HoT, get season 2 with it.Buy PoF, get season 3 with it.

This would have been a far better and cleaner solution for story continuity rather than people buying one expansion, getting the other for free and then having to buy many living world episodes seperately so they can understand what the hell is going on.As good as Gw2's story is, it's a total cluster..... if you don't have access to the whole thing in order, and nobody wants to buy an expansion only to find out that there's a whole years worth of story content they can't play that sets the whole expansion up in the first place.It's one of the few areas where I think Anet have dropped the ball when it comes to being pro consumer.

@"Rezzet.3614" said:i dont think they ll make any specs for now specially when they are nuking combat as a whole soon

Actually, it might be a good time BECAUSE they nerf everything.Now, that lots of things are going to be somewhat levelled down, they can introduce new power creep with new elite specs.And then they can restart "fixing" core classes to fit the new elite specs and then refit old elite specs to those new core changes, as usual.

@"IndigoSundown.5419" said:No hero challenges in Saga maps so far, so they'd need to: retroactively put them in (angering at least some of those who've done completion on those maps); cram a whole saga's worth into what maps are coming; or come up with a new mechanic (earning the ire of those who've stockpiled hero points). Odds don't look good to me.

It's 1 or 2 month until the balance patch hits anyway, and if they keep going at the current pace, we have a new map and episode by then.Then we get two or maybe 4 months to get used to the changes, with new maps and episodes each two months.After that, we have 4 or 5 maps, that can very well hold 25 Hero challenges for the 250 needed.

Or they can be like "Old content gives you enough points anyway."

Or they just sell them for gems and don't require hero points at all.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:No hero challenges in Saga maps so far, so they'd need to: retroactively put them in (angering at least some of those who've done completion on those maps); cram a whole saga's worth into what maps are coming; or come up with a new mechanic (earning the ire of those who've stockpiled hero points). Odds don't look good to me.

They've already shown that they're willing to let map completion stand for those who finished Eastern Bjora Marches before the Western half released, so that doesn't seem like a problem. And they've also shown just now that they're willing to go back and add mastery points to the older maps as well.

I'm still not expecting elite specs with the Icebrood Saga, but here's my idea on how it might work if they did. Start rolling out the Saga without Elite Specs or hero points. Wait until most of the maps are released. Then, for the big finale, roll out the specs and retroactively add hero points to all the maps like they seem to be doing gradually with Mastery points. Not only have you effectively drawn out an expansion over a whole year, but you've suddenly given everyone a reason to flood back into the early maps of the season, just like the Skyscale did for Season 4.

Again, I'm keeping my expectations low, but the fact that they retroactively added Mastery points to Grothmar Valley caught my eye.

@Perihen the Thawk.9527 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:No hero challenges in Saga maps so far, so they'd need to: retroactively put them in (angering at least some of those who've done completion on those maps); cram a whole saga's worth into what maps are coming; or come up with a new mechanic (earning the ire of those who've stockpiled hero points). Odds don't look good to me.

They've already shown that they're willing to let map completion stand for those who finished Eastern Bjora Marches before the Western half released, so that doesn't seem like a problem. And they've also shown just now that they're willing to go back and add mastery points to the older maps as well.

Maps also stayed flagged as completed, back when they added more waypoints and PoIs to old maps for the then-new (and now abandoned) guild activities.

@Fueki.4753 said:

Maps also stayed flagged as completed, back when they added more waypoints and PoIs to old maps for the then-new (and now abandoned) guild activities.

I got two chests for completing bjora. One for doing so on the initial release and another on the post release, not sure if thats a bug or not.

@Dante.1763 said:

I got two chests for completing bjora. One for doing so on the initial release and another on the post release, not sure if thats a bug or not.

I didn't get another chest on my Guardian after re-completing it.