Mastery xp in the newest update.

zealex.9410

Even tho the new masteries arent the most exciting or cool compaired to glider or mounts, i gotta say, i prefer them alot more and find them alot more meaningful because they take longer ro unlock.

Considering masteries arent on a per char basis and instead are acount wide i always thought they took very little to unlock (same with elite specs), i personally viewed them as what could be the medium term (journey) unlocks for each new update and not necessarily what you have 5 mins into a new update.

I ask that you dont buff xp gains and moving forward maybe even nerf it by another 5% or so for all maps moving forward (old and new), masteries havent felt meaningful since early hot and the current xp gains kinda bring back those feelings. Just dont gate story progress behind them again like you did in hot and we gucci.

(also elite specs, maybe rebalance the skillpoints requirements to make them take at least a day or 3 or exploration and gameplay) we dont have to have everything the moment a patch drops, its called character progression for a reason.

@zealex.9410 said:Even tho the new masteries arent the most exciting or cool compaired to glider or mounts, i gotta say, i prefer them alot more and find them alot more meaningful because they take longer ro unlock.

Considering masteries arent on a per char basis and instead are acount wide i always thought they took very little to unlock (same with elite specs), i personally viewed them as what could be the medium term (journey) unlocks for each new update and not necessarily what you have 5 mins into a new update.

I ask that you dont buff xp gains and moving forward maybe even nerf it by another 5% or so for all maps moving forward (old and new), masteries havent felt meaningful since early hot and the current xp gains kinda bring back those feelings. Just dont gate story progress behind them again like you did in hot and we gucci.

(also elite specs, maybe rebalance the skillpoints requirements to make them take at least a day or 3 or exploration and gameplay) we dont have to have everything the moment a patch drops, its called character progression for a reason.

No nerf please, xp gain is fine as is. its nice not having everything unlocked in a day, but at the same time having the rewards(which i dont even think t3 is really worth it?) locked off is frustrating.

@Dante.1763 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Even tho the new masteries arent the most exciting or cool compaired to glider or mounts, i gotta say, i prefer them alot more and find them alot more meaningful because they take longer ro unlock.

No nerf please, xp gain is fine as is. its nice not having everything unlocked in a day, but at the same time having the rewards(which i dont even think t3 is really worth it?) locked off is frustrating.

Imo ot depends what not having them locks you out of. It shoupdnt lock you out of story or doing the meta etc but simply locking parts of exploration or little stuff is fine.

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:I agree with Dante.It's all fine and flowery if you play GW2 for over 10 hours a day.But for people who can only play a couple of hours or less, it would take ages.They are fine as they are.I think ANet already took that into consideration and hence why they are the way they are now.No need for further changes.

The 10 hours a day is hyperbole, i played at max 2 hours at a time per day during the pof release and did it over the course of 2 weeks. Didnt really lose out on anything.

Plus the masteries arent going anywhere so you arent in a hurry necessarily.

@zealex.9410 said:Even tho the new masteries arent the most exciting or cool compaired to glider or mounts, i gotta say, i prefer them alot more and find them alot more meaningful because they take longer ro unlock.Considering they are very much map-specific effects, and not gamewide ones like gliding or mounts, i'd say no, they should definitely not take long to unlock.

Considering masteries arent on a per char basis and instead are acount wide i always thought they took very little to unlock (same with elite specs), i personally viewed them as what could be the medium term (journey) unlocks for each new update and not necessarily what you have 5 mins into a new update.And that's what they are. 5 minutes into a new update most people haven't even started working on them yet. You being different here doesn't mean Anet should make the life worse for everyone else.

I ask that you dont buff xp gains and moving forward maybe even nerf it by another 5% or so for all maps moving forward (old and new), masteries havent felt meaningful since early hot and the current xp gains kinda bring back those feelings. Just dont gate story progress behind them again like you did in hot and we gucci.The new masteries do not feel meaningful not due to how long you get them, but due to how little they offer and how impactless it is. The expansion ones, in that regard, were far, far more meaningful.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Even tho the new masteries arent the most exciting or cool compaired to glider or mounts, i gotta say, i prefer them alot more and find them alot more meaningful because they take longer ro unlock.Considering they are very much map-specific effects, and not gamewide ones like gliding or mounts, i'd say no, they should definitely not take long to unlock.

They could very well tho run throught se5 but still thats not really an arguement for them being as easy as older ones were.

Considering masteries arent on a per char basis and instead are acount wide i always thought they took very little to unlock (same with elite specs), i personally viewed them as what could be the medium term (journey) unlocks for each new update and not necessarily what you have 5 mins into a new update.And that's what they are. 5 minutes into a new update most people haven't even
started
working on them yet. You being different here doesn't mean Anet should make the life worse for everyone else.

Doesnt apply for me that much (aplies to the elite specs but ehh) but realistically older masteries have been something id unlock before finishing the lw episode story.

I ask that you dont buff xp gains and moving forward maybe even nerf it by another 5% or so for all maps moving forward (old and new), masteries havent felt meaningful since early hot and the current xp gains kinda bring back those feelings. Just dont gate story progress behind them again like you did in hot and we gucci.The new masteries do not feel meaningful not due to how long you get them, but due to how little they offer and how impactless it is. The expansion ones, in that regard, were far, far more meaningful.

Both play a part at how meaningful and engaging the masteries feel, as i said the icebrood masteries arent that great when it comes to the masteries themselves but i spend more time working on them and because of that i remember them for more.

Think of it like raid progression in mmos, i remember my first raid clear more than my first dungeon, thats not too say a mastery should take weeks to unlock.

@Randulf.7614 said:I like the fact they made them take longer. I don't think they need to nerf the xp gain further though. i haven't even maxed one line yet

Been doing achievements around the maps pretty much since launch and i finally got two of the Tier 3 essences and finished the raven gate line. It takes -awhile- even doing every event you come across.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:I like the fact they made them take longer. I don't think they need to nerf the xp gain further though. i haven't even maxed one line yet

Meant other maps mostly, generally older maps so you dont have the one or 2 old maps be the goto and the rest see no players.Considering that those masteries are pretty much useless once you move out from said maps, why even farm them if you've already done everything else there? Besides, the old masteries weren't all that easy to get either - there's a reason why people were very actively farming the mastery xp for them with whole groups (and often using borderline exploits).

You might think that taking a lot of time to get masteries makes them more meaningful, but the reaction of a large number of players in the past shows, that your feeling is not uniformly shared by everyone else.

For me, i might remember the current map masteries more due to how more xp they need, but these definitely won't be good memories. So, i don;t see why would i ever want for it to be even worse.

@Dante.1763 said:

t3 is supposed to increase rewards from the large chests ... probably an extra blue unid

@zealex.9410 said:

Meant other maps mostly, generally older maps so you dont have the one or 2 old maps be the goto and the rest see no players.

Maybe if said maps had actual substantial content instead of just lazily adding XP grind it would see more people? How many times do you think something like the tree chopping event remains interesting?

@Khisanth.2948 said:

t3 is supposed to increase rewards from the large chests ... probably an extra blue unid

So far seems to be an extra ingot and a bunch of extra shards, havent gotten to loot the drakkar meta with the full mysteries yet.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:I like the fact they made them take longer. I don't think they need to nerf the xp gain further though. i haven't even maxed one line yet

Meant other maps mostly, generally older maps so you dont have the one or 2 old maps be the goto and the rest see no players.Considering that those masteries are pretty much useless once you move out from said maps, why even farm them if you've already done everything else there? Besides, the old masteries weren't all that easy to get either - there's a reason why people were very actively farming the mastery xp for them with whole groups (and often using borderline exploits).

You might think that taking a lot of time to get masteries makes them more meaningful, but the reaction of a large number of players in the past shows, that your feeling is
not
uniformly shared by everyone else.

For me, i might remember the current map masteries more due to how more xp they need, but these definitely won't be
good
memories. So, i don;t see why would i ever want for it to be even
worse

Lets be honest most ppl complained because masteries in hot blocked progression through the story, that was the major problem, not the fact that they were a grind.

If a mastery is emaningless then is a bad mastery and to some extend the portals aint useless as they opej up the jp, the only problem i see with the portal mastery is that in it of it self its boring.

And i dont want masteries to take "a lot of time" to get, just want them to take more, which is kinda the case with this update.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Meant other maps mostly, generally older maps so you dont have the one or 2 old maps be the goto and the rest see no players.

Maybe if said maps had actual substantial content instead of just lazily adding XP grind it would see more people? How many times do you think something like the tree chopping event remains interesting?

That a problem with most maps bar the meta event maps cant do anything about it until anet solves it by introducing replayability.

@"zealex.9410" said:And i dont want masteries to take "a lot of time" to get, just want them to take more, which is kinda the case with this update.And i am pointing out to you, that what is for you "too fast" may already be "too long" for others. For me, for example, the current IBS masteries do take way too long already. I definitely wouldn;t want for it to become a new norm - even if it probably will, because Anet's all about artificially extending everything to prevent us from noticing how little of actual content we're getting.

Masteries are not more meaningful just because the grind to get them is bigger - they are more meaningful, if they have more meaning/purpose/use in the game/map.

The raven masteries are kind of OK, we can unlock doors and use portals on the map. But the essence-masteries (I do have them also fully unlocked), I could'nt care less about.

The cost (EXP and mastery points) that is required for a mastery should reflect the usefulness of that mastery (with the exception that masteries that are completely blocking story progression should not be too hard to get).

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Khisanth.2948" said:Maybe if said maps had actual substantial content instead of just lazily adding XP grind it would see more people? How many times do you think something like the tree chopping event remains interesting?

That a problem with most maps bar the meta event maps cant do anything about it until anet solves it by introducing replayability.You keep saying replayability, but I don't think it means what you think it means. Replayable content is content that you can play again and again. It's not content that tricks you into playing it long past the point of entertainment by holding a carrot just out of your reach.

Personally I found masteries filled quickly enough just by playing the story and exploring the map. I had them all done without even thinking about experience or achievements of whatever else some people claim is necessary to "play" a new release. I am however one of those weirdos that enjoy felling trees and gathering arctic tuna even for the 10th time I come across one such event while exploring the map.

Once I realized xp progression took much longer than the episodes before (ice brood & lw4) I grabbed every freaking boost I could get without studying the wiki longer than 5 minutes, got back into the new map tagged all events around me and looked for more. I couldn't care less about helping other players I just tried to achieve my goal selfishly.As in the other half of the map I hated it to be excluded from rewards - in this episode excluded from visiting all pois and again full rewards - so it more feels of a duty than just playing like I did in HoT & PoF.Sadly I couldn't withstand and logged out after finishing 2 mastery lines.

Yes because being locked out of loot, being locked out of map completion and being limited against the latest strike boss is so much fun. Exciting way to pad the runtime of the content.

@Vinceman.4572 said:As in the other half of the map I hated it to be excluded from rewards - in this episode excluded from visiting all pois@maddoctor.2738 said:being locked out of map completionYou only need the new mastery to activate raven gates, but not to actually use them. As long as somebody with the mastery is around to activate the gates you can use them even without mastery and explore the full map.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@Vinceman.4572 said:As in the other half of the map I hated it to be excluded from rewards - in this episode excluded from visiting all pois@maddoctor.2738 said:being locked out of map completionYou only need the new mastery to activate raven gates, but not to actually use them. As long as somebody with the mastery is around to activate the gates you can use them even without mastery and explore the full map.

We both knew that long before.It doesn't change anything.

@Vinceman.4572 said:

We both knew that long before.It doesn't change anything.Ok, I'm not getting it. Why did you say you're excluded from visiting pois if you know you are not?

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@Vinceman.4572 said:As in the other half of the map I hated it to be excluded from rewards - in this episode excluded from visiting all pois@"maddoctor.2738" said:being locked out of map completionYou only need the new mastery to activate raven gates, but not to actually use them. As long as somebody with the mastery is around to activate the gates you can use them even without mastery and explore the full map.

We both knew that long before.It doesn't change anything.Ok, I'm not getting it. Why did you say you're excluded from visiting pois if you know you are not?

It's a matter of: Ok, at first I have to get the xp for the portals...then next grind to get more rewards which was also the exact same stuff last release where you had to get the masteries to open the chest for the first time and the 2nd step to get better rewards.Of course you can call that fine and justifiable. I just call it lazy and boring design according to lots of masteries we got in the past. Too me it's not inspiring work what they did, only developing a mastery because we got a mastery with every episode in the past. Alongside the "cooking 500" and the build template fiasco, cheap strikes that are excuses for not making fractals & raids this is hardcore expansion level content that we're getting here. /s