Bjora: Where is Koda Trial "Koda be praised/Plant Banners ..."?

Zok.4956

@Jimbru.6014 said:

@aspirine.6852 said:So after 2 days I finally see the event you need for this. And it figures, there are not enough enemies to finish the event????! Did anyone at Anet even test this?

ANet doesn't play their own game. If you don't believe me, watch some of the streams where the devs are playing the game. Some of them give PUGs a good name.

Just because you help design a game, doesn’t mean that you’re a pro at playing it. Especially in content that you had little or no role in creating.

I think anet just needs to get rid of the getting the essences done before the event ends thing. It's needlessly confusing and frustrating. After trying to get this done all day between separate maps and failing because one - no more spawn and you don't get enough essences, two - dealing with the constant interrupts and knockdowns, and three - it only takes one "helpful" or troll person to kill that last mob to ruin the whole achievement. All the other Koda events are challenging in their own right, and are fine. Its just THIS ONE that is obtuse and frustrating. There's nothing saying that the essences have to be done before the event, and even the title isn't even relevant to what you need to be doing, so how is one supposed to figure out what's happening? Just my two cents. :)

I'd like to add that I finally got the Banners by Bear Shrine, there were in fact no banners involved and the patrol was actually Fallen. I had two other folks around so it was just enough for the essences. After that we killed a Champ if I remember, happened too fast :pensive: and I got the achievement.

Okay so yesterday i finally got this achievement (i tried 8 times overall). You need to kill a mob then stomp on it (like a finisher in pvp) and that will fill your progress bar, when the progress bar is full then you can activate trial and kill the champ, however i did this 8 times i only got the achievement on 8th try, so good luck!

@Whisperer.1584 said:Okay so yesterday i finally got this achievement (i tried 8 times overall). You need to kill a mob then stomp on it (like a finisher in pvp) and that will fill your progress bar, when the progress bar is full then you can activate trial and kill the champ, however i did this 8 times i only got the achievement on 8th try, so good luck!

Ok, but which kodan events did you do? Where was it? What mobs? Also did you have the issue where you had to fill the progress bar first before finishing the event?

@Ryn Shaia.8640 said:

@Whisperer.1584 said:Okay so yesterday i finally got this achievement (i tried 8 times overall). You need to kill a mob then stomp on it (like a finisher in pvp) and that will fill your progress bar, when the progress bar is full then you can activate trial and kill the champ, however i did this 8 times i only got the achievement on 8th try, so good luck!

Ok, but which kodan events did you do? Where was it? What mobs? Also did you have the issue where you had to fill the progress bar first before finishing the event?

There are three spawn spots for that trial, [&BB4MAAA=] [&BCgMAAA=] and [&BDQMAAA=] , you will see the golden icon at one of the three locations when event for that trial spawn, you go there and you kill event mobs that have crossed sword icons above them, what i did is kill 1 by 1 and stomp on them to fill the bar. Few times however there were not enough mobs to fill the progress bar and i could not finish the event to activate the trial and the trial icon was gone after event was over.

@"Whisperer.1584" said:There are three spawn spots for that trial, [&BB4MAAA=] [&BCgMAAA=] and [&BDQMAAA=] , you will see the golden icon at one of the three locations when event for that trial spawn, you go there and you kill event mobs that have crossed sword icons above them, what i did is kill 1 by 1 and stomp on them to fill the bar. Few times however there were not enough mobs to fill the progress bar and i could not finish the event to activate the trial and the trial icon was gone after event was over.

I have killed "patrols" (event targets marked with crossed swords) at those 3x locations more times than I can count, including just moments before writing this. I have never been offered any sort of "stomp" action (and as far as I can tell, there is no "/stomp" emote). I have never seen any sort of "progress bar". I have never seen a triangular golden "Koda Trial" icon associated with any of these locations or events. None of this makes any sense.

So, can you explain exactly what (in terms of specific sequence of operations) you mean by "stomp"? How do you tell whether "stomp" is available (i.e. what appears on the user interface)? What key sequence do you employ to execute a stomp (just a simple "interaction"/F-key)? Do you need a target in order to "stomp", or is proximity sufficient? Where does this progress bar appear on the overall user interface? At what point in the process does this "patrol" event turn into a "Koda Trial"? Is this mainly an issue of waiting until you see a "Koda Trial" icon on the map, before any of this is possible (suggesting that some of these patrol events spawn as just a "plain" event, which is what I assume I have always seen, and some of these events spawn as a "Koda Trial", which I have not yet seen)? Are there any prerequisites for this event to appear as a "Koda Trial" (I have completed 4 of the 5 achievements that comprise "Koda Be Praised"... what about other achievements? For instance, do I need to complete the Bjora Marches story first?)?

@"Jayden Reese.9542" said:The patrol needs the lil maker and say prep or w/e it says not just any basic patrol and you release esseses that drop to fill bar before killing all mobs you have to fill the entire bar to get credit.

Not very helpful, I am afraid (though it makes somewhat more sense after participating in the event), but thanks for responding anyway.

Anyway, this finally happened to me, in a rocky defile just a few paces south/east of [&BDQMAAA=] (in Bjora Marches East). Interestingly it happened serially, several times in rapid succession, not during the Drakkar event in Bjora Marches West, and then finally once during the Drakkar event. After several occurrences, it stopped happening. I have no idea if it coincides with any other events elsewhere in Bjora Marches, with or without a delay. I would have no idea how to predict it.

I was at 30 charges of Resilience 3 when I did all this.

The patrol spawns as a "Koda Trial" event, triangular golden icon, etc. A "normal" patrol is not relevant. So, it does appear you do have to wait for the "Koda Trial". The "Koda Trial" patrol spawns (comprised of various Fallen in this part of the map), as an event, not unlike the "normal" patrol event. There is a progress bar integrated into the display for the event (which appears as a normal event display, on the right side of the screen). When patrol mobs die, they drop an "essence", as an object on the ground, marked in the game world and on the map with a little "hand" icon. Interacting with these (F-key interaction, and you must basically be standing on them, even a short distance away is not sufficient) incrementally fills the progress bar on the event display. Nothing appears in your inventory as a consequence.These "essences" despawn quickly, so use them or lose them. During interaction with an essence, an expanding circular targeting grid appears on the ground, suggesting "danger". Indeed, completion of interaction with each essence does appear to do some damage to you (i.e. the player character). Have a self-heal ready. Filling the progress bar constitutes completion of the "trial primer" or "preparation" for the trial (for me, it required interaction with about 5 essences, total). At this point a golden triangle "Koda Trial" object appears on a flat rock adjacent to the rocky defile mentioned above, and is marked on the map. Interacting with this object summons a "Champion Koda Berserker", with a time limit. This is presumably the "leader of the enemy patrol". This guy is fairly nasty, and engages in some sort of "retaliation" mechanic that is fairly dangerous. Be prepared to resurrect fellow players on a regular basis (hopefully others will do the same for you). Killing this champion concludes the "Koda Trial" event.

I participated in "trial preparation" and killing the champion half a dozen times. I received credit for the "Daily Trial of Koda" achievement, but I did not receive credit toward the "Plant Banners to Challenge the Svanir" sub-achievement of "Koda be Praised". Perhaps this is due to bugs, as various contributors to this thread have speculated.

Finally, there appears to be a wiki page for "Koda be Praised": "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Koda_Be_Praised". The section on "Plant Banners to Challenge the Svanir" is a bit sketchy, but will probably improve as time passes.

So that is a summary of the mechanics/play experience for the event people have been describing in this forum thread. All of this closely resembles the mechanics of other "Koda Trial" events.

HOWEVER, I remain unclear as to how the event being described in this forum thread has anything to do with "Plant[ing] Banners to Challenge the Svanir" (the patrol I fought was Fallen, the champ I fought was Koda, and nothing to do with this event involved a "planting banners" mechanic... all comes across as a but of a non-sequitur). This leaves me second guessing as to whether we are discussing the correct event (through this seems to be the last remaining "Koda Trial", so is probably the correct event, and a bug of some sort seems likely). I still have no practical idea how to complete the "Koda be Praised" achievement (I remain stuck on 4/5). I am going to try to catch this particular "Koda Trial" event in the other two parts of the map ([&BB4MAAA=] and [&BCgMAAA=], which will be comprised of Aberrant and Svanir), and see if that does the trick. Other posters have suggested repetition has been a viable workaround for the suspected bug, so maybe that is the trick.

I will update if I actually succeed in getting anywhere with "Koda be Praised"/"Plant Banners to Challenge the Svanir".

• Confused 1

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:I got credit for this achievement yesterday. No bar to fill, but just stomped one foe that was laying there. Was surprised to see I had the achievement, after reading this and other threads on the issue.

Second guessing myself again. No-one has explained the precise mechanics of this "stomp" operation. This poster also doesn't indicate where this was done. I suspect we are all talking about the same thing, there is just a bug that results in (very) intermittent success.

I want the blasted mastery point from "Koda Be Praised"... otherwise I would just blow this off, like I blow off everything else that involves unnecessary/senseless makework (such as redoing something ad infinitum hoping to work around a bug).

@acapela.8215 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:I got credit for this achievement yesterday. No bar to fill, but just stomped one foe that was laying there. Was surprised to see I had the achievement, after reading this and other threads on the issue.

Second guessing myself again. No-one has explained the precise mechanics of this "stomp" operation. This poster also doesn't indicate where this was done. I suspect we are talking about the same thing, there is just a bug that results in (very) intermittent success.

When the patrol dies their bodies will have a "press F" popup and upon pressing "F" it stomps on their corpse. -IF- its the Trial version, which has that weird little golden triangle.

@acapela.8215 said:

Second guessing myself again. No-one has explained the precise mechanics of this "stomp" operation. This poster also doesn't indicate where this was done. I suspect we are talking about the same thing, there is just a bug that results in (very) intermittent success.

It is something like this, you kill one of the mobs from the patrol, it drops what looks like an essence. When you stand on it you get the option to stomp, or whatever you want to call it. Do this enough and the bar is filled and you get the achievement. Best done with a very small group. Solo it's annoying to get since the stomp takes forever when there is multiple foes hacking into you.

@"aspirine.6852" said:> ...you get the option to stomp, or whatever you want to call it...

Yeah, that's the trick. I actually did not look at the text in the F-key prompt that pops up (i.e. when you are adjacent to anything with which you can interact). Maybe it does actually say "stomp". If memory serves, all the items on the ground dropped in the course of all the "Koda Trials" are indeed labelled "essence(s)", and the documentation emerging on the Wiki certainly refers to these things as essence(s). Anyway, I would have been a lot less confused if people had said "interact with the essence(s) dropped by the mob(s), using the F-key", instead of "stomp".

I am a software engineer in real life, I have trained myself to use descriptive phrases, rather than euphemisms (at least until a clear domain vocabulary develops between myself and the customer), and the rigor of that approach probably affects my own thinking. I read/hear something like "stomp", and my response invariably is "EXACTLY, step by step, please describe what you mean by 'stomp'. Ahh, OK, so that is 'stomp'. Be advised, if the meaning of 'stomp' changes at some point, we will need to have this discussion again." The alternative is, unfortunately, a lot of tail chasing (which is a great way to waste time and effort).

This is clearly a bug, in that the koda bonus event spawns but you don't get credit for having done it. The other events don't have the same problem because it's much easier to finish the primer bonus condition before the main event. I have not confirmed if the other trial primers fail to count, and can no longer do so since I have completed them all.

Hopefully this gets fixed eventually :)

Finally... completed "Plant Banners to Challenge the Svanir", on both my accounts in rapid succession. The patrol events documented on the wiki are indeed the relevant events.

I did this at [&BCgMAAA=]. Solo, it is a little easier at this location: fewer ambient mobs hanging around to get pulled in, easier to string the event-specific target mobs out and kill them one or two at a time in a controlled fashion, to insure you "stomp" essences and fill the "trial preparation" progress bar before ending the event.

Two successive trial event spawns, both "worked", no bug(s) were evident. Perhaps they have fixed the bug (server-side patch of some sort?), perhaps I just got lucky.

Hope all this helps others.

hi, I,ve just done this achievement in the east side of the map by the fallen mountains.I saw the symbol for kodas trial and went for a look when I got there , there is a horn that you have to blowthis caused a champion to appear, myself and a few others managed to beat it and I received the final trial and the mastery insightthis happened twenty minutes ago.

If only there was something in game that said you have to fill the trial bar before killing all the enemies, maybe people wouldn't be messing it up all the time. I've tried the event a dozen times or more, and every single time some random person walks up and kills all the mobs, thereby ruining the trial. Yes, the champion does spawn, but you loose the achievement. Frankly, it's infuriating, and also not very well thought out by the devs. Anyone who's played an MMO for some time knows there are always people who just bash everything and think it solves everything. You know, legions of Brahams basically. But it's really annoying when the devs put achievements in the game that can so easily be ruined by any random person walking up, thinking it's just another event to finish without any special circumstances. The majority of players do not visit the wiki, where it does say you need to fill the trial bar before killing all the enemies. If that particular piece of information was added to the event description in game, maybe people wouldn't be messing it up all the time.

Edit: I finally managed to get it. I had to wait for an empty map where I could do it alone, without anyone butting in. Good thing I didn't need to kill the champion as well, because that would've been a pain in the backside.

I've successfully done the Aberrant Forest and Bear Shrine variant (so Aberrant and Fallen patrols) twice now, still no credit. By "successfully", I mean that the triangle icon appeared on the map, we press F on the corpses with at least 1 mob alive, filled out the bar and there was a text at the top of the screen saying "The trial is now prepared". We also killed both champions.

Does ONLY the Svanir variant near Gate of Svanir of this event give credit for this achievement? That's the only one I haven't successfully completed yet. The achievement description does say "Plant Banners to Challenge the SVANIR", but for the other Kodan trials, like the fishing one or the scouts one, either one counts.

If so, then this is really unfair, badly designed and infuriating. The event itself is rare to start with. I've been playing Bjora Marches for at least 6 hours straight for three days and I've only had this event spawn six times, the other ones, I've done three times over.

@"JackassTheX.6351" said:I've successfully done the Aberrant Forest and Bear Shrine variant (so Aberrant and Fallen patrols) twice now, still no credit. By "successfully", I mean that the triangle icon appeared after we press F on the corpses and there was a text at the top of the screen saying "The trial is now prepared". We also killed both champions.

Does ONLY the Svanir variant near Gate of Svanir of this event give credit for this achievement? That's the only one I haven't successfully completed yet. The achievement description does say "Plant Banners to Challenge the SVANIR", but for the other Kodan trials, like the fishing one or the scouts one, either one counts.

If so, then this is really unfair, badly designed and infuriating. The event itself is rare to start with. I've been playing Bjora Marches for at least 6 hours straight for three days and I've only had this event spawn six times, the other ones, I've done three times over.

You might be on to something there. On my second account I arrived at the Gate of Svanir with just 1 veteran still alive which means I didn't fight any of the mobs with the essences, I didn't stomp anything, the bar was already completed when I got there but I still got credit for it.

The whole RNG and spawn camping aspect of this achievement is just horrible. The fact that other players can make it fail is even worse. I had that happen on one of the "destabilize champion".

Another thing that can make this worse(and contribute to the unseen for hours) issue is the trial that spawns inside one of the rooms that can only be accessed during the Drakkar fight. Having that one up seems to block other trials from spawning. What I did was leaving a character inside to clear off that event if it shows up but that is just a workaround.

OH one last thing! Banners? What banners? There are no banners of any sort involved in any version of the event. Who wrote this description?