When will there be an update on Core Pets??

Suraci.1642

As the preview on upcoming balance patch hit, Swoop on bird pets cooldown will be increased to 18 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, its nearly doubled, I dont see a reason to take a bird pet now(bird pets are also part of core pets) cause I only take it for catching up with classes with high mobility or to disengage when things go south, birds are useless for a straight up fight, they dont have cc like Smokescale, no huge damage like a Gazelle, no condi pressure like an Iboga, have a useless screech skill that only grants swiftness mid-fight and rangers have swiftness in all abundance, I would rather have them auto attack in a fight instead of using that bee-ess, they are slow and extremely squishy, that being said all things come down to another alternative for mobility, guess what it is the Rock Gazelle 's Charge, they even have daze on it and effect 5 targets at a discount, as everyone can also notice its an expansion pet. I love birds for their mobility and their mobility is the only thing they have to compete with expansion pets, and now you strip it away anet, please hurry up and make an update on Core Pets, I want to be able to enter stealth when merging with a Jaguar anet, please stop making core pets even more useless than they already are.

Personally I think you're jumping the gun a bit when it comes to the bird pet nerf, because yeah I'd agree it's a pretty big nerg but I wouldn't really say it's not useful still.

As for core pets get balanced or updated to be useable? I just have to say have we ever really gotten a core pet buffed, ever, even once since the game came out?

@"Grey.3179" said:If I remember correctly, core pets did get an update, years ago. It was back when the condi bunker ranger was a thing and everyone complained that our pets hurt. So their damage got lowered. But I could be misremembering.You are right, damage from smokescale and bristleback was nerfed.

However the issue with the pets is not the damage output, it is the fact than any player just moving around with swiftness can completely ignore the pet mechanic as they can not hit a moving target.Just in case so this is not lost as it hasn't changed

@LughLongArm.5460 said:With the upcoming changes to Electric Wyvern F2, Do you think that as a result of the delay, it will be more accurate ?

Nope. The problem with the delays is the target of the pet is a point on the ground and not the enemy player. Which means when the pet executes Lightning Assault the target won't be into position anymore with just walking around, the target doesn't need to avoid the attack it is enough to don't stop moving and not having cripple. Keep in mind in the video the target is without swiftness. Against target with swiftness no pet can hit the the target.

Think the effect will have the same issues as the canines knockdown which very rarely hits.

I understand where it is coming from thou yet i would fix all this issues first before mendling with cast times.

• Ranger get somehow better access to cripple.
  • Pets get to hit consistenly when targets are the enemy player instead the ground where the target stands, similar on how the tiger's Furios pounce (F2) works.
  • Pets get to hit consistently with the autoattacks because the animation is speeded up and increased a bit the range.
  • Pets get efficient ways to close gap with the target.
  • Pets get PvE stats in WvW (canines have the hp as the bristleback... Really?)
  • Ranged pets get better projectile speed.
  • Core pets to work with quickness.

I would even go as far as to ask:Just remove all the core pets (or all of them) and add them in small bunches once they are reworked. I don't need to have 60 different pets if none of them work in a satisfactory way. And i dont mind doing the scavenger hunt again if they are really fixed.

I believe the devs said before that it's an issue with the engine itself when speaking of the pets being unable to catch up to any target that's even just casually jogging away. So that's fine and I get it ultimately even if I dislike it, the issue is that regardless of this being now know and confirmed by the devs themselves that there's nothing really given to ranger pets in turn to make them more useful.

Honestly it just feels like as time goes by the pets become less and less useful and if anything only continue to get their damage lowered, I genuinely won't be surprised if we come to a point in time where an engineer turret will feel more reliable then one of our pets.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@LughLongArm.5460 said:With the upcoming changes to Electric Wyvern F2, Do you think that as a result of the delay, it will be more accurate ?

Nope. The problem with the delays is the target of the pet is a point on the ground and not the enemy player. Which means when the pet executes Lightning Assault the target won't be into position anymore with just walking around, the target doesn't need to avoid the attack it is enough to don't stop moving and not having cripple. Keep in mind in the video the target is without swiftness. Against target with swiftness no pet can hit the the target.

Think the effect will have the same issues as the canines knockdown which very rarely hits.

I understand where it is coming from thou yet i would fix all this issues first before mendling with cast times.
  • Ranger get somehow better access to cripple.
  • Pets get to hit consistenly when targets are the enemy player instead the ground where the target stands, similar on how the tiger's Furios pounce (F2) works.
  • Pets get to hit consistently with the autoattacks because the animation is speeded up and increased a bit the range.
  • Pets get efficient ways to close gap with the target.
  • Pets get PvE stats in WvW (canines have the hp as the bristleback... Really?)
  • Ranged pets get better projectile speed.
  • Core pets to work with quickness.

I would even go as far as to ask:Just remove all the core pets (or all of them) and add them in small bunches once they are reworked. I don't need to have 60 different pets if none of them work in a satisfactory way. And i dont mind doing the scavenger hunt again if they are really fixed.

Damm. I never understood why the Necro golem preforms its dash thing much more reliably compared to the Electric Wyvern F2. Also they new delay on beastly warden, I wounder how this is going to work....

@LughLongArm.5460 said:kitten. I never understood why the Necro golem preforms its dash thing much more reliably compared to the Electric Wyvern F2. Also they new delay on beastly warden, I wounder how this is going to work....Clunky in most cases. In the case of the cheeta it will work well, the rest of the pets it will lose it's actual functionality which is somehow secure the land of the F2 which already has a precast of around 1 second in most cases.

In the case of the soulbeast, Beastly Warden is already cast after the beast ability has finished, which means it will work fine only with Prelude Lash and nothing else as it should trigger one second after the skill has finished.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@LughLongArm.5460 said:kitten. I never understood why the Necro golem preforms its dash thing much more reliably compared to the Electric Wyvern F2. Also they new delay on beastly warden, I wounder how this is going to work....Clunky in most cases. In the case of the cheeta it will work well, the rest of the pets it will lose it's actual functionality which is somehow secure the land of the F2 which already has a precast of around 1 second in most cases.

In the case of the soulbeast, Beastly Warden is already cast after the beast ability has finished, which means it will work fine only with Prelude Lash and nothing else as it should trigger one second after the skill has finished.

Yes, I acknowledged that as well in another post, Beastly Warden+ Prelude Lash combo will probably be quite strong due to the 1 sec delay(better than it is live).

@"Xenash.1245" said:I believe the devs said before that it's an issue with the engine itself when speaking of the pets being unable to catch up to any target that's even just casually jogging away. So that's fine and I get it ultimately even if I dislike it, the issue is that regardless of this being now know and confirmed by the devs themselves that there's nothing really given to ranger pets in turn to make them more useful.

Is it time to roll out that old video that shows that a pet Moa'd by a mesmer hits a target WAY more consistently than just a normal Pet trying to attack normally?

I wish I still had the link as it sums up how bad the pets are at being anything other than boon sticks and trait triggers.

It also shows how the claim that its an "Issue with the engine itself" is not really true.

edit: nm found it. Please sort your game out Ireneo/Anet.

@Sandzibar.5134 said:

@"Xenash.1245" said:I believe the devs said before that it's an issue with the engine itself when speaking of the pets being unable to catch up to any target that's even just casually jogging away. So that's fine and I get it ultimately even if I dislike it, the issue is that regardless of this being now know and confirmed by the devs themselves that there's nothing really given to ranger pets in turn to make them more useful.

Is it time to roll out that old video that shows that a pet
Moa'd by a mesmer
hitting a target
WAY more consistently
than just a normal Pet trying to attack normally?

I wish I still had the link as it sums up how bad the pets are at being anything other than boon sticks and triggers.

It also shows how the claim that its an "Issue with the engine itself" is not really true.

This is gold

@Sandzibar.5134 said:

Is it time to roll out that old video that shows that a pet
Moa'd by a mesmer
hits a target
WAY more consistently
than just a normal Pet trying to attack normally?

I wish I still had the link as it sums up how bad the pets are at being anything other than boon sticks and trait triggers.

It's just my opinion but since the transformed pet seems to be moving and attacking like pets from the beta, that there's probably some limitations put onto the pets themselves and the transformation just doesn't have those limitations. Again that's just my opinion of course, and personally I'm not saying I like the answer the devs have given I was just trying to say that it was the reason that they gave.

Personally I just wish they decided on something to do either way.

@Xenash.1245 said:Personally I think you're jumping the gun a bit when it comes to the bird pet nerf, because yeah I'd agree it's a pretty big nerg but I wouldn't really say it's not useful still.

From a WvW perspective this update will drastically reduce Ranger and Thieves mobility will remain unchanged, this will make Thief the best Roamer in the game and will relegate Rangers to pew pew only.

In PvP, Thief already occupies a better position, after this he will no longer have rivals in his role, already now we see many games made up of 2 thieves, after this it will be worse.

The ability will still be usable but comparing it to the rest will become too weak, Anet has nerfed the ability without adding anything else, increased the CDs much more than other professions, we will be lucky not to stay out of Meta after these updates xD

@"anduriell.6280" said:Just remove all the core pets (or all of them) and add them in small bunches once they are reworked. I don't need to have 60 different pets if none of them work in a satisfactory way. And i dont mind doing the scavenger hunt again if they are really fixed.

If they were going to go that far, I'd rather they just rework them into a much more condensed form where skills are based on the family and individual pets are simply a cosmetic choice

IE, all hounds work the same and choosing a wolf over the dog is for RP only

They'll never be able to make all our pets equally good or even close to it but they did a pretty satisfactory job with the merged archetype beast skills

Pets currently suffer from the same "illusion of choice" that we have with stats where I can pick from a great assortment of options but 99% of them are wrong if I'm taking the game seriously at all

@Substance E.4852 said:

@"anduriell.6280" said:Just remove all the core pets (or all of them) and add them in small bunches once they are reworked. I don't need to have 60 different pets if none of them work in a satisfactory way. And i dont mind doing the scavenger hunt again if they are really fixed.

If they were going to go that far, I'd rather they just rework them into a much more condensed form where skills are based on the family and individual pets are simply a cosmetic choice

IE, all hounds work the same and choosing a wolf over the dog is for RP only

They'll never be able to make all our pets equally good or even close to it but they did a pretty satisfactory job with the merged archetype beast skills

Pets currently suffer from the same "illusion of choice" that we have with stats where I can pick from a great assortment of options but 99% of them are wrong if I'm taking the game seriously at all

I don't mind the rp ide of each pet having a different F2 "special skill". Also allows the enemy player to expect some kind of gameplay.