sure would be nice if gw2 could get something like this

I know this isn't what the thread is about but I'd like to add since I've seen many people complain about ESO's performance.I don't know why but for me ESO never had any performance issues (neither did I have ping issues) and that even on my old system back then I could still get around 70 to 90 frames on high while gw2 was always the only game that dropped to 40 fps no matter what the settings were.For now, of course, things tend to overall run better on my new system and both games are often running above 100 fps mainly (Even had gw2 at 160fps several times on several occasions and that with highest settings and gw2hook)However I do agree that this game is in need of an entire engine overhaul. Maybe even update the servers as well.

@Cynder.2509 said:I know this isn't what the thread is about but I'd like to add since I've seen many people complain about ESO's performance.I don't know why but for me ESO never had any performance issues (neither did I have ping issues) and that even on my old system back then I could still get around 70 to 90 frames on high while gw2 was always the only game that dropped to 40 fps no matter what the settings were.For now, of course, things tend to overall run better on my new system and both games are often running above 100 fps mainly (Even had gw2 at 160fps several times on several occasions and that with highest settings and gw2hook)However I do agree that this game is in need of an entire engine overhaul. Maybe even update the servers as well.

It's not even that IMO. It's just the fact they are taking it one baby step at a time, and slowly but surely improving the engine and performance (and wow they even communicate that to their playerbase which would never happen here)

I don't think they need to re write the entire engine but just chipping away at once every 6 months or a year would make a big improvement just in faith and morale because people would know they are still committed to the game and trying to improve it for long term.

@wrathmagik.3518 said:

@"grouchybhaal.4275" said:Ill stick with gw2 ping of 200 instead of esos ping of 650+

That's not the point though. The fact they are showing their playerbase they are committed long term to ESO and TRYING to improve the engine goes a long way in faith and morale for the players.That's your opinion. Personally I'd much rather have a game that actually fixes stuff than one that keeps telling me things like "we've removed ambient deer from Cyrodil to improve performance" while I still get ganked behind every door I cross due to the client being unable to load the inside of a castle in time for me to even see the enemies.

I agree with everyone else. It might sound good if you've never played Elder Scrolls Online, but this isn't an example of a studio that's dedicated to getting the best performance possible for their players and is proud of doing that. It's a studio who has finally, after years of problems, been forced to admit that their game is simply not good enough and that fixing those problems won't be quick or easy but it's absolutely necessary to keep it playable. If ESO was as reliable as GW2 they wouldn't be saying, or doing, anything.

Also part of the reason they're making a big fuss is that at some point this month all ESO players will have to delete and re-download the entire game, which is going to be disruptive, especially for people with slow or capped internet so they want as many people as possible to know it's coming and be prepared for it. If only so when they complain the studio, and other players, can say they had plenty of warning.

@"Cynder.2509" said:I know this isn't what the thread is about but I'd like to add since I've seen many people complain about ESO's performance.I don't know why but for me ESO never had any performance issues (neither did I have ping issues) and that even on my old system back then I could still get around 70 to 90 frames on high while gw2 was always the only game that dropped to 40 fps no matter what the settings were.For now, of course, things tend to overall run better on my new system and both games are often running above 100 fps mainly (Even had gw2 at 160fps several times on several occasions and that with highest settings and gw2hook)However I do agree that this game is in need of an entire engine overhaul. Maybe even update the servers as well.

Do you ever play in Cyrodiil? Most of the time my experience in ESO is the same as yours, but during the recent event I've been spending more time in Cyrodiil (and not all of it sneaking into delves) and the contrast is like a different game. Once my game crashed because a group of enemy players rode past me. I was far enough away that they didn't see me, but once 5 or 6 people loaded and the rest started coming it was apparently too much to handle. Then I hit that fun "this account is already logged in" error and couldn't get back into the game for 10 minutes or so.

It's also not just about FPS. I get decent FPS pretty consistently in ESO (outside of Cyrodiil) but I've recently noticed that if I gallop into the crafting area in Alinor without slowing down I can go around the corner before the floor has loaded, and that my graphics card always runs the hottest in that crafting area for some reason. It doesn't drop my FPS but the computer seems to work harder than doing almost anything else. (Which lead to me realising that's why it's walled off with that random circular corridor with nothing in it - it's so the game doesn't have to load that area until you go in, and has time to load it when you do.)

This work is also supposed to fix things like the fact that yet again guild traders on EU didn't update so some guilds have paid millions of gold for nothing and other guilds got that service for free.

@Danikat.8537 said:I agree with everyone else. It might sound good if you've never played Elder Scrolls Online, but this isn't an example of a studio that's dedicated to getting the best performance possible for their players and is proud of doing that. It's a studio who has finally, after years of problems, been forced to admit that their game is simply not good enough and that fixing those problems won't be quick or easy but it's absolutely necessary to keep it playable. If ESO was as reliable as GW2 they wouldn't be saying, or doing, anything.

Also part of the reason they're making a big fuss is that at some point this month all ESO players will have to delete and re-download the entire game, which is going to be disruptive, especially for people with slow or capped internet so they want as many people as possible to know it's coming and be prepared for it. If only so when they complain the studio, and other players, can say they had plenty of warning.

@"Cynder.2509" said:I know this isn't what the thread is about but I'd like to add since I've seen many people complain about ESO's performance.I don't know why but for me ESO never had any performance issues (neither did I have ping issues) and that even on my old system back then I could still get around 70 to 90 frames on high while gw2 was always the only game that dropped to 40 fps no matter what the settings were.For now, of course, things tend to overall run better on my new system and both games are often running above 100 fps mainly (Even had gw2 at 160fps several times on several occasions and that with highest settings and gw2hook)However I do agree that this game is in need of an entire engine overhaul. Maybe even update the servers as well.

Do you ever play in Cyrodiil? Most of the time my experience in ESO is the same as yours, but during the recent event I've been spending more time in Cyrodiil (and not all of it sneaking into delves) and the contrast is like a different game. Once my game crashed because a group of enemy players rode
past
me. I was far enough away that they didn't see me, but once 5 or 6 people loaded and the rest started coming it was apparently too much to handle. Then I hit that fun "this account is already logged in" error and couldn't get back into the game for 10 minutes or so.

It's also not just about FPS. I get decent FPS pretty consistently in ESO (outside of Cyrodiil) but I've recently noticed that if I gallop into the crafting area in Alinor without slowing down I can go around the corner before the floor has loaded, and that my graphics card always runs the hottest in that crafting area for some reason. It doesn't drop my FPS but the computer seems to work harder than doing almost anything else. (Which lead to me realising that's why it's walled off with that random circular corridor with nothing in it - it's so the game doesn't have to load that area until you go in, and has time to load it when you do.)

This work is also supposed to fix things like the fact that yet again guild traders on EU didn't update so some guilds have paid millions of gold for nothing and other guilds got that service for free.

Unfortunately, I never even bothered to try Cyrodiil as I'm not a fan of exploring and always being on the lockout for enemies. I'm alrwady hyper paranoid in PvE and get panic attacks often whenever someone is around the same delve as me. It's not just a paranoia issue, it's also that I don't like how "WvW" is handled in ESO. (I think you can safely compare it with WvW as it's 3 factions on one map fighting eachother and claiming stuff throughout the map.) Overall I'd have liked Cyrodiil to be open and non hostile (maybe I'm just too influenced by TES IV: Oblivion) but then it wouldn't fit to the lore so the "Three Banners War" has a right to be there and I'm fine with it in the end. However that doesn't mean I don't play WvW in GW2. The problem is just that I prefer to play with other people together (most likely in zergs although we only have like 20 people at a time on my server and we're always outnumbered) and that I'm in general don't have as enough time for the game as real life takes up space at the moment so I might have become inactive in that kind of content. I believe you when you say that the issues are mainly in Cyrodiil as I've never bothered to play there and considering the fact that WvW in gw2 can be very laggy depending on the amount of players and the mass battles generating effects in certain situations.HOwever I did get random disconnects and the error you described too but it's very rarely comparing to the fact that in gw2 I tend to get disconnected a lot after cutscenes, often during raids (and I play an important part as a healer) and that the trading post is so slow alongside with the constant error that the client is unable to connect to the server despite still being logged in. Yes, I checkd my connection and it's perfectly fine and I'm never having these issues with other games so I think it must be a problem with gw2. And yes, I even reinstalled the game multiple times and checked my firewall settings.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"grouchybhaal.4275" said:Ill stick with gw2 ping of 200 instead of esos ping of 650+

That's not the point though. The fact they are showing their playerbase they are committed long term to ESO and TRYING to improve the engine goes a long way in faith and morale for the players.That's your opinion. Personally I'd much rather have a game that actually fixes stuff than one that keeps telling me things like "we've removed ambient deer from Cyrodil to improve performance" while I still get ganked behind every door I cross due to the client being unable to load the inside of a castle in time for me to even see the enemies.

what, like how Anet "fixes" every mistake they made instead of ignoring it and not doing the same mistake the next time yet making a whole new one?

@sorudo.9054 said:

what, like how Anet "fixes" every mistake they made instead of ignoring it and not doing the same mistake the next time yet making a whole new one?Compared to ESO, yes. My husband played ESO as his primary (and longtime only) MMO for about 5 years, while I played GW2 first and ESO only to join him occasionally. While ANet is far from perfect, GW2 is miles ahead of ESO in technical performance and fixing or even just acknowledging bugs.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

what, like how Anet "fixes" every mistake they made instead of ignoring it and not doing the same mistake the next time yet making a whole new one?Compared to ESO, yes. My husband played ESO as his primary (and longtime only) MMO for about 5 years, while I played GW2 first and ESO only to join him occasionally. While ANet is far from perfect, GW2 is miles ahead of ESO in technical performance and fixing or even just acknowledging bugs.

this game has bin playable for almost 8 years, all they have done is abandoning failures while never fixing anything.i am not saying ESO is any better but Anet really isn't a jewel in comparison.

@sorudo.9054 said:

this game has bin playable for almost 8 years, all they have done is abandoning failures while never fixing anything.i am not saying ESO is any better but Anet really isn't a jewel in comparison.We have to agree to disagree here. If you think both games are equal in the level of (technical and conceptual) bugs and problems and on a similar level in handling bugs and problems then that's your opinion.

Personally I don't want ANet to lower themselves to the standards Zenimax set (and still sets) with ESO, because in my experience ESO is clearly worse in direct comparison, both where performance is concerned and with the way and speed they handle bugs (if they even acknowledge them).

GW2 isn't perfect, but it's still miles ahead of ESO.

Bad example, but the desire for GW2 to feel better than it does is valid.

GW2's primary performance limiters are ISP-related, as opposed to software or hardware, which is a fairly solid indicator the game is running as well as it can.

Maybe some technology exists, or will come along, that can optimize it further.