Mastery xp in the newest update.

zealex.9410

@Vinceman.4572 said:

@Vinceman.4572 said:As in the other half of the map I hated it to be excluded from rewards - in this episode excluded from visiting all pois@"maddoctor.2738" said:being locked out of map completionYou only need the new mastery to activate raven gates, but not to actually use them. As long as somebody with the mastery is around to activate the gates you can use them even without mastery and explore the full map.

We both knew that long before.It doesn't change anything.Ok, I'm not getting it. Why did you say you're excluded from visiting pois if you know you are not?

It's a matter of: Ok, at first I have to get the xp for the portals...then next grind to get more rewards which was also the exact same stuff last release where you had to get the masteries to open the chest for the first time and the 2nd step to get better rewards.Of course you can call that fine and justifiable. I just call it lazy and boring design according to lots of masteries we got in the past. Too me it's not inspiring work what they did, only developing a mastery because we got a mastery with every episode in the past. Alongside the "cooking 500" and the build template fiasco, cheap strikes that are excuses for not making fractals & raids this is hardcore expansion level content that we're getting here. /s

Well apparently you do get second map complete its just hidden in a achivement.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bringing_Light_to_the_Darkness

@Tyncale.1629 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Even tho the new masteries arent the most exciting or cool compaired to glider or mounts, i gotta say, i prefer them alot more and find them alot more meaningful because they take longer ro unlock.

Dull and gimmicky Masteries are more fun and meaningful because they take longer to unlock? Wow.

earning a mastery i find more meaningful because its more of a process than before. I didnt say it was more fun or fun.

I hate masteries, I have ever since HoT. I glad that they did a 180 on that in PoF and if they would remove them from the game all together I would be happy. That being said the new masteries weren't long to level up if you did it in Grothmar. With a meta every 15 mins and lots of high trash mob events you get way more XP per hour than in Bjora. It took me the same amount of time to level 1 mastery in Bjora than all the other ones in Grothmar. Why anyone would want to slow the progression down is beyond my understanding? There are tons of better things to do in this game than leveling fucking mastery points.

@zealex.9410 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Even tho the new masteries arent the most exciting or cool compaired to glider or mounts, i gotta say, i prefer them alot more and find them alot more meaningful because they take longer ro unlock.

Dull and gimmicky Masteries are more fun and meaningful because they take longer to unlock? Wow.

earning a mastery i find more meaningful because its more of a process than before. I didnt say it was more fun or fun.No matter how long it takes, it still has as much meaning as before. It definitely doesn't make the mastery more meaningful. More
memorable
, maybe - but, depending on the kind of memories you'd associate with that, it might
not
be a good thing.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

earning a mastery i find more meaningful because its more of a process than before. I didnt say it was more fun or fun.No matter how long it takes, it still has as much meaning as before. It definitely doesn't make the mastery more meaningful. More
memorable
, maybe - but, depending on the kind of memories you'd associate with that, it might
not
be a good thing.

Id personally rather have memories of smth not at all because it happens during the first play session without me even going for it. Besides, the experience is not remotely bad to warrant speeding through it, theres been far worse experiences than farming even for a mastery.

@zealex.9410 said:

memorable
not
be a good thing.

Id personally rather have memories of smth not at all because it happens during the first play session without me even going for it. Besides, the experience is not remotely bad to warrant speeding through it, theres been far worse experiences than farming even for a mastery.

"there has been worse" is very bad argument for pretty much anything because generally speaking the goal is not a race to the bottom

"there has been worse" is the sort of attitude to take if you want to create the worst possible product that is still tolerable

complaints about monetization? "at least it is not EA"

buggy game? "at least it is better than FO76"

bad game in general? "at least its not an asset flip"

Gating loot behind masteries is a bad design as it discourages participation for people who are only going to receive partial amounts. Since Ep.2 launched I have only done Drakkar and the new strike once, just to see them. Otherwise I am waiting for T3 chest mastery. Drakkar especially is not worth the time investment for incomplete rewards.

A better way to do this is to gate vendor items behind the mastery (this was also found in HoT). So you will need the mastery to acquire the eventual reward, but not to earn the loot towards buying/crafting them.

It also devalues the mastery points when so few are required, and those few are so easy to acquire compared to the XP grind. It should be the other way around, where the actual challenge to obtaining the mastery is the acquisition of points that require specific goals (i.e. content) to be done. Just make sure there are enough of them outside of JPs that the common whining about them is avoided. Now that incomplete masteries no longer block XP gain, I would also suggest that a bonus-mastery is added to each major track, which unlocks only when all the functional masteries have been completed. It uses up all the extra points from that track and gives something like a small regional Magic Find/Karma/XP bonus.

The only positive to having XP be the bottleneck is giving me a reason to burn the XP boosters I never use.