Issue with increased load times

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi all, I have a message from James Fulop:

We are aware of a new problem after Tuesday's Lunar New Year update that causes longer load times for some players. We have found the cause for this and will have a fix ready in time for the next regularly-scheduled release. The problem is related to the command-line option "-maploadinfo", so until then, disabling that option should help.

-James Fulop, Engine Programmer

@Vegeta.2563 said:

@Virdo.1540 said:well for me it helped.

It got way better, but still worse than before the patch

Been told by several people deleting your local.dat file (the one that stores your email & pass, and other various settings in game).. helps, but I don't feel like redoing all that lol

that didnt worked for me and many others. so better not bothering with it.. (better save the time from adjusting the settings again^^)

I delete my Local.dat file every few months to 'clear out' any wonkiness that can happen over time.

And doing that for this issue did improve my load times--for a short while, then the load times got really bad again. Ultimately, removing the "mapLoadInfo" command line argument did fix the issue for me.

@"Nep Leet.5491" said:I delete my Local.dat file every few months to 'clear out' any wonkiness that can happen over time.

And doing that for this issue did improve my load times--for a short while, then the load times got really bad again. Ultimately, removing the "mapLoadInfo" command line argument did fix the issue for me.

but isnt it a bit too annoying to always adjust the settings again after deleting it?

@"JasonLucas.4981" said:This has been actually happening for a few months already, together with frame rate drops in bosses that changes your FoV

This one I noticed as well.

Removing maploadinfo did help some, the loading times still arent up to ssd standards though, so there has to be an additional issue. But at least Im not getting kicked anymore from grps/squads for "taking too long" ;p

@Virdo.1540 said:but isnt it a bit too annoying to always adjust the settings again after deleting it?

Hmm... not really? Its only the Sound and Graphic settings that I have to re-do and that takes less than a minute to do. Clearing out that Local.dat file has really helped resolve performance issues in the past, so its really worth it. :)

@ClaraFee.2579 said:Thanks @Fire Attunement.9835 . Do you have any tips for players that get a white screen after logging in using fullscreen windowed mode?

Oh I've had that since forever. Sometimes I even get two white windows, when I closed the game while on Windowed mode and the window was not on my main monitor. It opens a window in the main one, and a window in the other one, and then randomly it either keeps the one on the main or the secondary. Can't click on either cause it would ask me to force close!

• 2 weeks later...

@Vegeta.2563 said:

@Virdo.1540 said:well for me it helped.

It got way better, but still worse than before the patch

Been told by several people deleting your local.dat file (the one that stores your email & pass, and other various settings in game).. helps, but I don't feel like redoing all that lol

it will wipe your graphics settings, so take a screenshot of your graphics settings before you delete local.dat; your key-binds will not be wiped.

it seems to have work for a short while, but back to slow loading time overtime

@"insanelyapple.2870" said:Andrew, is there any chance for adding percentage progress on loading screens?

You can add the command line argument -maploadinfo to your gw2 shortcut and it will show a lot of loading info, like whether it's still connecting to the server, if it's downloading or decompressing files, and the loading progress.

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:

@"insanelyapple.2870" said:Andrew, is there any chance for adding percentage progress on loading screens?

You can add the
-maploadinfo to your gw2 shortcut and it will show a lot of loading info, like whether it's still connecting to the server, if it's downloading or decompressing files, and the loading progress.

Of course, not until after this upcoming fix for -maploadinfo.