Balance Patch Preview - Global

Irenio CalmonHuang.2048

Engineer:Overheat: Instead of disabling all toolbelt skills until all heat is lost, this skill now adds 15 seconds to the recharge of toolbelt skills other than Photon Forge. Photon Forge remains disabled until all heat is lost.Photonic Blasting Module: When this trait is equipped, the additional recharge penalty from Overheat is reduced from 15 seconds to 5 seconds.

Well it's better than the crap that was disabling tool-belt. But please, consider returning Holographic Shockwave back to the original range of 600. Who cares? It's pve! The animation looks ugly and unfinished due to 300 range: Instead of fixing the animation from a skill that really need it (Holographic Shockwave) , you are fixing animation for skills which are already okay/neat (Overcharged shot and battery ram)! Just make two versions, Pve=As the skill was at release of PoF, PvP/WvW=Reduced range and number of foes affected but with a correction of the animation. Just look how beautiful it was before...It's a big woof smash! Please designers some pity for one of the most hated class!

Fix Holographic Shockwave animation!

The explosives changes are nice however. And I'm impatient to try them.I agree with the comment above about eclipse configuration.

Ah and will repeat that a second time: No skills or mechanic should lock from using other skills, that's poor design! (speaking of ele)I'm sad there is no changes about turrets! As some suggested, they could become mobile and following you on heli-platform, could be nice if their bullets count as explosive/piercing.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aim Assisted Rocket (REWORK): Rockets are now only fired on critical hits. Rocket recharge reduced from 10 seconds to 3 seconds. Rockets now require the engineer to be at least 450 distance from the target to fire. Every 5th rocket instead calls an orbital strike.

I seriously loved that trait reworked until the "at least 450 distance from the target" part. This is a Power Engi Trait, and Power Engi Builds are mostly at MELEE range because of Holoforge COMPELLING you to become at melee Range.

Engineer isn't a very popular class already, please for the sake of all Engis Mains who still out there: remove the Range limit of that trait.

@"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:

• Soulbeast: Soulbeasts can no longer swap pets while in combat. Merging and unmerging with your pet now counts as a pet swap for the purposes of the Clarion Bond and Zephyr's Speed traits.

Will merging only affect these two swap-pet traits?

I'm also wondering how this would interact with Loud Whistle and Spirited Arrival.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Loud_Whistlehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirited_Arrival

Executioners scythe on reaper is honestly my only issue on the changes for reaper. It's such a telegraphed skill and easy to dodge. It was satisfying getting the damage when it actually hit and since so many classes have a metric fluff tonne of stun breaks, the freeze is honestly just there. It rarely counts as anything more than a chill

Remember when necromancer would be stunlocked into oblivion so they had to take 3 stunbreaks on their skill bar just to prevent that from happening? Yeah, that never really changed. Necromancer has always required dozes of stunbreaks because otherwise they'd get locked out of a fight. Honestly, what is arena net thinking?

@Virdo.1540 said:

@Virdo.1540 said:please remove the ability of the druid to give 10man- 25might.It already has insane heal, a pet, tons of utility, the op spirits etc.... even some 10-man aoe heals. There is really no need at all to let it give so much might.

If you nerf Druid's might generation, you leave it as a subpar choice in every aspect of the game.

I'd personally love to see them rework spirits, buff druid's personal dps, and give them more pet synergy with CA. Once Druid is playable outside of Raids, we can look at their might gen if it's out of line, but I don't see a problem with a support being able to generate 25 might, especially since it has to use CA and devote time away from dealing dps in order to generate said might.

due to the 25might for 10people its the best choice for a healer with amazing support. Its so good that no other healer-role could compete.

I disagree. Different healing classes have different strengths. Healing quickbrand provides an alternative healing + quickness which is a strong and necessary buff in raiding.

If you look back across the history of Druid nerfs you will see it being constantly whittled away from THE support class to where it is today. Druid does not need another nerf just to make other classes viable. They are already viable with Druid where it is.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

@CroTiger.7819 said:Much better if you gave ranger Lead the wind trait superspeed 2 sec when hiting from 1200+ range instead swift and quickness would make much more options available. Good change on axe and new trait for axe if it works with merge, soulbeast tradeoff can be fine if you buff some of the pets and even add option to autoatack pet skill for exchange because now it will feel very straight forward but adding autoattack skill from pet could get more depth for condi build (cover condis like vulnerbility) even power ones. Its bad that pets remains same in terms of utility, swoop update is bad since ranger need some mobility because classes like thief and even war are still faster and its deffinitly bad change because its kills ranger potential to be roamer and lock it movement when side noder because thief will have easy time decaping or leting ranger afk point. Shortbow is unchanged and last chance of having interupt ranger style back is dead. Druid still too long cooldown and lame mechanic of building full astral force to enter and heal is very lame in pvp and kills diversity, why instead its not 10 sec cd and you can enter it like reaper shourd (entering trait converts 2 condis on nearby alies to boon and leaving trait is 1 sec superspeed and stealth just to reposition fast). I like alot of changes for other classes especially mirage 1 dodge tradeoff which is good direction for more reasonable use of dodge and not stacking but soulbeast will be dumped down unless you give him ability to autoatack from pet and druid still don t get its identity. Good change overall but still expected more creativity with ranger class since its my main.

Lets be real here, Druid is much stronger in the raiding/fractals community over the player vs player world.Agreed that it is primarily used by raiding and fractals, but while Druid is pointless in open world (off topic) it does still have some use in WvW.

@Bealis.6023 said:Hello,I believe that preventing Soulbeast to swap pets during combat is one of the worst things that can happen to Ranger, since it takes out versatility, one of the main things that makes it fun. Even if it was perfectly balanced, why would players want to play it if its not fun?While it seems an unpopular position among the posts I have read so far, I am ok with this being the trade off for soulbeast. The could have hit us far harder so for me this is more of a relief than an aggravation. However, someone else commented that there ought to be more of an encouragement to run unmerged and I agree that it needs an internal trade off between the two. Personally I think that unmerged, the soulbeast pet ought to receive a 10% stat buff based on pet category (I.e. furious, versatile, stout, etc.) counterbalancing the merged stat boost on the one hand and loss of options on the other. It would be an overall minor boost, but is in the theme of soulbeast and give more value to pet choice on the pet side.

With respect to PVP...

As a whole I don’t like any of these changes and the direction the game is going. It’s like backwards development to your game.

I think slowing down the game play and catering to the crowd that was never really that good at the game is the wrong way to go - completely.

I think after all this development time you will see the same people achieving and the same people crying ... except it will be crying about something different, and the game will be less fun for a guy like myself who has been keeping up with the pace of the game through constant development over the years.

I feel like this game is/will lose some of its edge in this update. - The dodge button and the explosiveness and responsiveness of the combat system is what high rank PVP players like in your game. Also the amount of CHOICES.

You guys are removing even more amulets I see on top of this?

Like at one point you have to say enough is enough and and stop changing the game to fit the desires of a certain vocal group of the population.

At least if you are going to waste development time, cater it to the people that actually excel at your game. Not the ones that barely understand it.

@Moira Shalaar.5620 said:While it seems an unpopular position among the posts I have read so far, I am ok with this being the trade off for soulbeast. The could have hit us far harder so for me this is more of a relief than an aggravation. However, someone else commented that there ought to be more of an encouragement to run unmerged and I agree that it needs an internal trade off between the two. Personally I think that unmerged, the soulbeast pet ought to receive a 10% stat buff based on pet category (I.e. furious, versatile, stout, etc.) counterbalancing the merged stat boost on the one hand and loss of options on the other. It would be an overall minor boost, but is in the theme of soulbeast and give more value to pet choice on the pet side.Its true that I actually like all other changes. The swaping fazed me as its in the Ranger mechanic, and being merged for a longer period makes the Soulbeast really squishy if not relying on stout pet. I like that minor stat buff for unmerged pets idea. ;)

I've been back to GW2 for a few weeks now, and I'd like to give my opinion.I like the changes to elementalist, specifically summons. I can't really comment on changes to obsidian flesh.

I'd like to ask, though, if you guys have any plans for the god-based summons? I'm not yet into pvp or raids, so I don't know if they are already used, but to me they seem like such a huge CD for a short summon time. Maybe they are fluff more than anything, but I'd like to use them more. Maybe tie them to a specific attunement? Or give them a shorter CD when using an elite spec?

@"Kaizer.8261" said:

• Aim Assisted Rocket (REWORK): Rockets are now only fired on critical hits. Rocket recharge reduced from 10 seconds to 3 seconds. Rockets now require the engineer to be at least 450 distance from the target to fire. Every 5th rocket instead calls an orbital strike.

I seriously loved that trait reworked until the "at least 450 distance from the target" part. This is a Power Engi Trait, and Power Engi Builds are mostly at MELEE range because of Holoforge COMPELLING you to become at melee Range.

Engineer isn't a very popular class already, please for the sake of all Engis Mains who still out there: remove the Range limit of that trait.

Could not agree more our range weapons suck:pistol (lol) and rifle wich is mostly a melee weapons at this point

@Makuragee.3058 said:

@"Kaizer.8261" said:

Could not agree more our range weapons suck:pistol (lol) and rifle wich is mostly a melee weapons at this point

I couldnt disagree more. If the range is 450minimum it oculd be a fun range trait for sure. What engineer needs is more ways to deal reliable range dmg, not more melee crap, thats what u got 2 elite specs for.

@Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:

@"Kaizer.8261" said:

I couldnt disagree more. If the range is 450minimum it oculd be a fun range trait for sure. What engineer needs is more ways to deal reliable range dmg, not more melee kitten, thats what u got 2 elite specs for.

Why not both, make it a flexible trait that can be use on 2 playstyle. Because right now its gonna see almost no play, or very fiew. I would not mind if we had more fun toys to use at distance, but like I said, we dont really (sure we do mortar, rifle, etc). But mortar is more condi and offer a really braindead gameplay, really not fun (or good).

What would happen if we removed the land core necromancer skills and replaced them with the underwater necromancer skills? Would it be overpowered? Probably. But I'd really love to play underwater necro on land. That would be fun. I'd still really like wave of fear over Doom since Doom is becoming almost worthless.

@"xlmmortal.7023" said:Personally I can not wait for all these changes to take effect so I can start theory crafting new builds, I never use cookie cut, so this is like yet another facet of the game I am seriously looking forward too. +1 Anet

Same, every time these kinds of major changes come in it freshens up my favourite aspect of the game. My characters change, my match ups change because everyone else's characters also change, and things don't feel "solved" any more. Just have to make the most of the chaos before build hierarchies settle again.

Also, the intent of these changes is just perfectly aligned with what I'd want for the game, so even though I expect they're going to miss the mark in places I'm more than happy to just see what happens.

@"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:Hi Everyone,

Today we're previewing the next set of balance updates to come to Tyria.

With this release there are a significant number of changes we've put together for the the competitive game modes, but many of the fundamental principles are applicable in every game mode. In particular, the focus on gameplay being more active is a big piece of the planned changes.

That said, we recognize that there are many specific differences between game modes and the nature of changes for game modes should follow suit.eg. Many bosses and creatures in instanced content focus attacks on the player with the highest toughness. A minor trait, Stone Flesh gives an Elementalist additional toughness while attuned to earth and can cut off both going into Earth attunement and selecting the Earth traitline. So we're changing that trait to grant 7% damage reduction instead of 150 Toughness, allowing it to play well with that type of content and expand some build options.

We're planning many changes of this nature, as well as re-works and more. We look forward to seeing your feedback both on this set of changes as well as future potential changes.

We've posted additional threads for the more PvP oriented changes and WvW oriented changes.

-The Systems Team

Im going to be direct and blunt here for a second. Do you guys even acknowledge that chronomancer is dead in the water? Are you guys ok with mesmer being the only proff in the game that is, for all intents and purposes, missing an entire elite spec? Or can we expect some kind of rework in the close future?

MESMER

GreatswordAs someone who doesn't really enjoy melee or any sort of close combat situations in general, my hope is that the Greatsword won't become useless, as that's the only Power options Mesmers/Power Chronos/Power Mirages have for ranged play and has a tiny bit of AOE as well. Even currently, I don't really feel the effects of movement impairment on those skills, and didn't feel like too much until I got some runes and food (and it still doesn't in this specific situation or in general, in comparations with some other classes, even ungeared), so my worry is that it will become a bad weapon to use in general play or by people who aren't geared fully yet. Yes, this game has newer players.

AOE and single targetShould we be concerned at those getting nerfed? There are classes that do AOE and single-target way better. even ungeared. Myself, I prefer long-range and, if possible, AOE (which isn't really the class's focus so I kinda let that bit slide some, even tho I'm getting my bum kicked at times). But it doesn't really feel like it's excellent single-target either. I may just be too new to it to really see it tho, so take it with a grain of salt, I'm just raising the possibility of a concern, considering we fight both one and clumps of enemies in any game mode.

Delays + in a dynamic environmentA Mesmer will always struggle with delay, were seeing it on Chrono as a build-in already with the Shatters and the Wells, which make it extremely frustrating. It's even worse if we add some lag on top of that. Not sure how lag will affect that signet either.Chrono's wells don't do much, especially with the way the new mobs work, which is similar to bounties in core Tyria, as they ping pong all over. A modicum of damage or heal, even if somehow our target doesn't move.... myeah, I'd rather not really use wells in that case, as the game isn't made to be played stationary. Some ways to make them work better in a dynamic environment would be appreciated.

The trait swapsLet us hope the changes help the class, not smack it. I lack the knowledge to provide an opinion on that. Nobody was picking Elusive Mind due to the drawback tho, so at least that's been changed.

Profession specific abilitiesWhile we are still on the topic of Chrono, and Mesmers in general, what about what we bring to the table?Even if I switch all my build around for it, there's no point to trying to generate it, unless perhaps we get a certain set of gear, but why would I use that set outside of, say, raids?If I want alacrity, a rev does it better and permanently.Quickness? Meh.Portal? Oh hey, there's a thief as well.Stealth? Not on those cooldowns or at the cost of Jaunt for Mirage, which is the only thing we have near a true dodge out of pesky AOEs/+Siege (if WvW -actually, even with Dodge + Jaunt, we may not make it out of such a combo if Blink is on CD or if the red circles extend past its range -Red Tower opposite of Anzalia anyone?). A thief should and actually does stealth better, maybe being a bit too good at it with self de-targeting on top of it, in a PvP or WvW setting, but it's not like most of us would run around in stealth in most PvE situations anyway and there are much better utilities we'd have to take instead.Oher boon generation? I'm a new player, I am the least likely to know how all the tricks of the trade work, much less with only guides floating around are builds instead of updated "How to's" (Dulfy's guides were nice but there have been changes made since their guides and they don't cover everything) and other players simply directing you to said builds. So perhaps I'm missing something but I don't really feel like a boon machine, magical duelist or anything other than, usually, a purple poke-level damage midget.

But anyway, shouldn't our innate, class-specific abilities still be viable and only enhanced by certain gear, and not be easily surpassed by other professions, geared or not?

Abilities de-targetingOne of my "regrets" with my 1 main toon (because hey, I only really enjoy one class so far, tyvm) is that I unlocked and tried Chrono first. It's not enjoyable, it de-targets itself (!) so I end up wasting CDs if I am not looking everywhere at once -I can see you attempted a fix there, which is one step in the right direction, thank you, but there may be more skill-culprits. Tab targetting back to a target is not reliable since it might as well go off picking a dust mite or something unrelated with what we are fighting (mightier than 3 hydra some classes can solo naked, btw, Just hope a mite ain't close xD).

Downed skillsNo downed skills were addressed even tho a Power spec has very little chance to get back up. There's one extra downed skill locked behind masteries so I'm not sure how good that one is yet, but shouldn't the power spec have a chance? For example, on a Rev, you can push back and torment. On an Ele, you can do down in flames, literally. The downed skills we have don't really scale with power or have a lower cooldown that would make touching the keyboard viable after we went down, in most situations. And there are plenty of those situations. I had more success getting back up on a Condi spec...then down again, but hey, progress. xD

OTHER CLASSES/GENERALThe mouse pointerDue to effects, interface positions, player and enemy positions all we have to keep track of, the last thing we want is for that cursor to go MIA. And guess what? It goes MIA before we blink.The only option, which doesn't always behave how we expect, is Snap to Target, which, going back to the dynamic environment(/players), it's not always a good idea, even if it works properly.Let's fix that, please, either by changing the current one a bit, to make sure it's visible among clutter, or by giving us a few drop-down selections/colors/whatever. :)

Range tooltipWhereas a Mesmer is hard-capped, there are some classes that CAN shoot beyond their tooltip range. Some examples I found out about would be Eles and Rangers (sorry guys). Oh, the skill is red on your bar but you can still deal damage outside of your written max range? Cool, cool...not. How is that fair to others? Obviously this has the biggest impact in PvP and WvW. Please put in a hard cap on the range for every class.