Appeal of the Russian-speaking community Guild Wars 2

INOY.6945

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,I think that the only problem here is not knowing international (!!) english. And this is a problem not only russian - speaking community. Guild Wars 2 also don't have support for my natvie language and I don't even hope that someday they will do this. Guys what is a goal of playing in internatonal game without knowledge of international language - english... or french.
Russian is use in ex-CCCP countires with all RESPECT for them (is that true, am I right) and Guild wars 2 - if I'm not wrong - is not ex-CCCP's game.

Even if russian is number 10th language in the world Guild Wars 2 don't support 9 langueges :))) soo you are not first in the line, hehe :)

I'm against such idea.

@"Milosz.5938" said:Hi,I think that the only problem here is not knowing international (!!) english. And this is a problem not only russian - speaking community. Guild Wars 2 also don't have support for my natvie language and I don't even hope that someday they will do this. Guys what is a goal of playing in internatonal game without knowledge of international language - english... or french.

Russian is use in ex-CCCP countires with all RESPECT for them (is that true, am I right) and Guild wars 2 - if I'm not wrong - is not ex-CCCP's game.

Even if russian is number 10th language in the world Guild Wars 2 don't support 9 langueges :))) soo you are not first in the line, hehe :)

I'm against such idea.

Don't be afraid. According to their "answer(s)" & reactions it won't happen anyways.

@"Drevin.5392" said:tā它zài在shī zǐ獅子de的gǒng mén拱門shàng上 This is an example of Chinese transliteration. feel the difference? no? maybe you are not Chinese. also with Russian transliteration, you are not able to understand, because you are not Russian.

"It's on top of the lion's archway" seems like it might have a couple characters wrong, but ironically this helps to prove your point: the words for it/he/she are all pronounced "tā" in standard Chinese but they have three different characters. The meaning of Chinese characters is more definite than the romanized form. I don't think Russian has the problem to that extent, but nonetheless it requires some interpretation to read.

@"noviiparen.8163" said:Hello from Russia, My friends!

In this video, the Russian-speaking gaming community of Guild Wars 2 request ArenaNet to start supporting Cyrillic letters in the game. I know that these problems not only Russian players , but also many other countries. Unfortunately, I cannot be responsible for everyone, but I can be responsible for those with whom I play. Do not remain indifferent to our problem and support our appeal!

I support your appeal, you should absolutely be able to read/chat in your native alphabet. However, this might be better supported by a post in the Suggestions/QoL thread stickied at the top of the GW2 Discussions board. Link below:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/53097/suggestions-qol-quality-of-life-ideas#latest

@Anemone.5320 said:Just dropping by to complain that other alphabets are missing too (like greek) so if they're gonna add russian, they better add the rest too.

There was not talking about localization, and the addition of support for the Cyrillic alphabet. Chat will not only Russian, but also other communities whose native alphabet based on the Cyrillic alphabet.

@coso.9173 said:I had no idea gw2 had a big Russian following.If it can't be don't without much work I don't see the problem with it ?

Thats the problem, we dont know how much work it is. But given that anet has never added any language, and has admitted multiple times their coding of the game is a mess, and the UI portion of the game is really bad, i dont think its easy at all, and on their list of things to do i imagine that adding support for a language is way way way way down there due to the amount of work it probably would take.

@Dante.1763 said:

@coso.9173 said:I had no idea gw2 had a big Russian following.If it can't be don't without much work I don't see the problem with it ?

Thats the problem, we dont know how much work it is. But given that anet has never added any language, and has admitted multiple times their coding of the game is a mess, and the UI portion of the game is really bad, i dont think its easy at all, and on their list of things to do i imagine that adding support for a language is way way way way down there due to the amount of work it probably would take.

Well, at the end of the day, it's the devs decision. People can only propose ideas and the devs have to see if they will do it or no. It's not our job to tell other players not to ask for something, because it might be too much work, since we don't really have that info ourselves.

• 4 weeks later...

I speak 3 languages, one of which is Russian. I really wouldn't mind if they allow other letters or not but if they do I hope they won't allow it in general/map chat. Besides, speak English! It's a great opportunity for you to improve and learn, let's not forget it's the most important language on our globe currently.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Not knowing coding, I can't imagine it to be
that
hard/costly to add support for an extra alphabet in chat, so I fully support!

Didn't GW1 support cyrillic letters?

Well its not only that, they will have to have support persons that read Cyrillic.Incase of people asking for help or reporting abuse, so yes it will cost more money if they add it.

No, they wouldn't. They are only asking for the option to write in Cyrillic alphabet in game with their friends. All support interactions and in-game text will stay the same.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

that

Well its not only that, they will have to have support persons that read Cyrillic.Incase of people asking for help or reporting abuse, so yes it will cost more money if they add it.

No, they wouldn't. They are only asking for the option to write in Cyrillic alphabet in game with their friends. All support interactions and in-game text will stay the same.

So, when someone reports a player that is being abusive in chat, what then? Cyrillic users get free reign?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

that

So, when someone reports a player that is being abusive in chat, what then? Cyrillic users get free reign?

Google translate is free to use last I checked for those rare occasions. How is that any different from the current situation though? I can still speak russian with the English alphabet if I want. Btw, I'm against allowing anything other than English in public/map chats. For Guild/Party/Whisper there's no issue.

@noviiparen.8163 said:

Maybe they don’t want or can’t answer to the request because they have not thought about it or can’t say anything to you. You can’t force someone to answer. Because for the last seven years there did not seem to be a problem or the need for Cyrillic.

I don’t know why it is important that you call yourself the largest GW2 blogger in Russia? You think you will get a special treatment?

The fact that I am the largest blogger in Russia for this game suggests that I appeal not only on my behalf, but I represent the interests of the whole community.Most of the big bloggers and streamers think that way. That doesnt make it true.Hint: it wouldn't be surprising if there were
more
people thinking they represent the russian community (in fact, i am 99% sure thare
are
others). And i am sure that all those people can't really agree on what those interests are.

@Anemone.5320 said:Just dropping by to complain that other alphabets are missing too (like greek) so if they're gonna add russian, they better add the rest too.

There was not talking about localization, and the addition of support for the Cyrillic alphabet. Chat will not only Russian, but also other communities whose native alphabet based on the Cyrillic alphabet.Anemone wasn't talking about localization, but also about alphabet - greek has its own, if you didn't know.

That is the core of the problem, i guess - once you add one, you have to add all of them. Not just Cyrillic.

And the often brought up case of the Polish language? That was almost certainly simply a sideeffect of adding german diacritic support. I'm pretty sure that wasn't intended at all (i doubt Polish comunity is big enough to even be considered for that), and i'm quite certain that Anet doesn't really want players talking in any langage other than officially supported (and moderated). Not strongly enough to actually forbid or actively hinder it, but just enough to not want to offer any help to players doing it on their own. You won;t get them to tell it to you outright, though, because saying it in the open would be bad PR.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

that

Google translate is free to use last I checked for those rare occasions. How is that any different from the current situation though? I can still speak russian with the English alphabet if I want. Btw, I'm against allowing anything other than English in public/map chats. For Guild/Party/Whisper there's no issue.

Not sure they can lock it to only work in guild/party and whisper tho its either all or none.

@Linken.6345 said:

that

Not sure they can lock it to only work in guild/party and whisper tho its either all or none.

Pretty sure they can.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Amaranthe.3578" said:Pretty sure they can.Not without spending a lot of effort on coding it, because there's absolutely nothing to even suggest that any mechanic that would help them do that is already in the game. So, we're back to the "not worth it" situation.

If it requires any significant effort then it's totally not worth it. Besides, its a great opportunity to practice the most important language

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:Not knowing coding, I can't imagine it to be
that

:) I think here is the solution to your phobia of Russian insults https://imgur.com/RG4OpUY

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Maybe they don’t want or can’t answer to the request because they have not thought about it or can’t say anything to you. You can’t force someone to answer. Because for the last seven years there did not seem to be a problem or the need for Cyrillic.

I don’t know why it is important that you call yourself the largest GW2 blogger in Russia? You think you will get a special treatment?

The fact that I am the largest blogger in Russia for this game suggests that I appeal not only on my behalf, but I represent the interests of the whole community.Most of the big bloggers and streamers think that way. That doesnt make it true.Hint: it wouldn't be surprising if there were
more
people thinking they represent the russian community (in fact, i am 99% sure thare
are
others). And i am sure that all those people can't really agree on what those interests are.

There was not talking about localization, and the addition of support for the Cyrillic alphabet. Chat will not only Russian, but also other communities whose native alphabet based on the Cyrillic alphabet.Anemone wasn't talking about localization, but also about alphabet - greek has its own, if you didn't know.

That is the core of the problem, i guess - once you add one, you have to add all of them. Not just Cyrillic.

And the often brought up case of the Polish language? That was almost certainly simply a sideeffect of adding german diacritic support. I'm pretty sure that wasn't intended at all (i doubt Polish comunity is big enough to even be considered for that), and i'm quite certain that Anet
doesn't
really want players talking in any langage other than officially supported (and moderated). Not strongly enough to actually forbid or actively hinder it, but just enough to not want to offer any help to players doing it on their own. You won;t get them to tell it to you outright, though, because saying it in the open would be bad PR.

Bulgarians, Macedonians, Serbs, Croats and Montenegrins use the Cyrillic alphabet.

@Drevin.5392 said:

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:Not knowing coding, I can't imagine it to be
that

:) I think here is the solution to your phobia of Russian insults

I think you may be projecting. Personally, I rarely have chat enabled, and map chat on NA is predominantly English. Plenty of insults in that language.

You see, I was responding to the conversation I quoted.