Hide Shoulders on Outfits option

Zephyria.6103

@LadySilverHand.6841 said:Hiding Armor parts (helmet, shoulders, gloves) also effects Outfits. So if you hide your armor's shoulders, it will hide your outfit's shoulders, too.It would be lovely to be able to choose those separately from each other, though.

This is true only of the Cook's Outfit, as far as I know. For all others, only the helm can be toggled.

I believe this is a development time issue.

Helms are super easy to hide because they're almost always separated from the rest of the armor in a way that makes toggling them on and off super easy to implement. Shoulders on the other hand are more often integrated into the overall mesh in ways that make disabling them more work. Even if the armor mesh and the shoulder mesh are mostly separate, they'd still have to model what's under the shoulder armor if they were to allow you to disable them. Helms are again easy because they just show your bare head model, but shoulders would need to show some kind of armor under the shoulder itself if you could turn them off.

It COULD still be done, and I'm not saying it shouldn't be either (I'd actually be in favor of it) but since the whole reason they gravitated towards outfits was how much easier they are to design over armor because they aren't modular and are thus far more simple to model and program, I feel like this would be counter-productive to their approach and reasoning for outfits.

• 7 months later...

its not that hard to make shoulders apart from the outfit, need some work but definitely worth.. because let’s be real.. everyone would buy more outfits.. to me..the only reason i’m not buying every outfit is because ugly shoulders.. i know so many people just like me..also they don’t have to do this to every outfit, if the outfit is not exactly have shoulders like monk’s outfit..

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Hiding shoulders would be an improvement to outfits. The ability to use your armor helm would be another. Both of these features should be put into the game to make outfits better.

This so much this, one of my characters has a eyepatch (RP) reasons. For that there are outfits I want them to wear but not able to keep the eyepatch is a lil irritating to the RP side of myself .

Outfits that desperately need it:

• Crystal Nomad: This is an amazing outfit -- if giant floating crystals get removed.
  • Bloody Prince's: Also amazing -- if you could hide the giant tusks
  • Grenth's Regalia: These shoulders seem wonky. Hiding them might make this one viable.
  • Champion of Tyria: If you could hide both helm & shoulders it might be wearable. Maybe.

Outfits that would see some improvement:

• Shadow Assassin: Shoulders for the males need hiding
  • Imperial Outfit: Mainly for Human/Sylvari males, maybe some females would like to hide theirs too?

Uggggh:

• Stuff like Nature's Oath, Slayer's... I mean, it would still be terrible, but less so?

Other random thoughts:

• Dwayna's Regalia: Hide shoulder = loose the "chest-area" wing/s?
  • Gwen's Attire: Hide shoulder = loose the flower

@starhunter.6015 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Hiding shoulders would be an improvement to outfits. The ability to use your armor helm would be another. Both of these features should be put into the game to make outfits better.

This so much this, one of my characters has a eyepatch (RP) reasons. For that there are outfits I want them to wear but not able to keep the eyepatch is a lil irritating to the RP side of myself .

Same, one of my Sylvari can't wear outfits because it hides the Demon Mask I consider part of his face, and he looks weird without it

@Shaaba.5672 said:I've looked at the crystal nomad outfit so many times and then talked myself out of it because I know the shoulder crystals would drive me crazy. So, yes. I would like the option to toggle that off as well.

I'd probably buy the Champion of Tyria outfit if (it didn't have that godsforsaken baby face) I could remove the shoulders.

Would love to see this, would make many outfits usable.

But suspect it is a lot of work, probably a lot more than we can imagine. Most of the outfits are probably made with the shoulders as part of the outfit, if they just "take them off" we probably get holes in the outfit or worse. But hopefully ANet can work with this in mind for the future, so future outfits can come with removable shoulders.

Much of what you guys asked for here is part of the outfit overhaul I keep crying for since, subjectively, AD 1512. :-)

• Dyes & options saved per outfit & character for easy contextual swapping
  • Separate dye channels for each outfit part for better individualisation
  • Show/hide checkboxes for shoulder & hands instead of inheriting from real armor
  • Option [show|Hide|Use real armor] for head (Nerd glasses with Arcane Outfit, some one? ^^)
  • Special shoulder pieces shine through (Nightfury etc.) or transformed into infusions
  • maybe hotkeys for the outfit sub-window & toggle outfit?

I feel outfits could be a lot more attractive this way.

@neslihaneren.5610 said:its not that hard to make shoulders apart from the outfit, need some work but definitely worth.. because let’s be real.. everyone would buy more outfits.. to me..the only reason i’m not buying every outfit is because ugly shoulders.. i know so many people just like me..also they don’t have to do this to every outfit, if the outfit is not exactly have shoulders like monk’s outfit..Ditto. There are outfits I would buy if I could only hide the shoulders (along with the helm). I don't understand what it is with Anet and ungodly huge, ugly shoulder armor.