If even Wooden Potatoes is struggling with sticking to Gw2...

Dantert.1803

So this is probably one more post from one of those that played the game from the very start of Gw1 and played Gw2 and only recently is starting to feel like Gw2 is no more as interesting as before..I thought I had to let the boredom I felt in the game pass but then i saw the video from WP and it really confirmed my fear..Even WP is struggling creating interesting content for this game....what does that tell us? And what does that tell Anet?No expansion, giving us little chunks of story no real repeatable content, we explored all and it takes nothing to explore those little patches that are coming out...To me if even WP that managed all these years to make the 2 hours video on just little things about the game, then it means that the game is becoming an empty shell...And I get it you can go for raids, done that...but what else?If only we would get a big drop of content , if Anet focused on bringing together the small patches in something more like an expansion and add new stuff in general, it would feel more meaningless.But yeah maybe this is just one man's thoughts....

ps: and no you can't get my stuff, I'm not leaving yet...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my thought, for everyone comes a time you're feeling done with the game.But there's never a a need to choose between dedication and quitting.I just put gw2 on a lower flame, playing some other games. I'm now mostly active around festivals and story releases, but play very little inbetween. I've kinda seen and done it all. But I've no plans to quit.And i urge the same to everyone else.If you're feeling burnt out, take a break, play something else. If you force yourself to keep playing you'll start hating the game.

As for WP, yea he was a great channel.But for someone generating 2 hour videos everything must also come a burn out at some point.No doubt he could still make a 2 hour video about the ghost apparitions in west Bjora. But if he has to force himself those videos won't be as good

You don't need reasons to quit or reduce your playtime in gw2. Not having fun? Take a break, or just quit. It's what I did with all my past mmos. Neverwinter, dcuo, champions online, secret world, wow, Tera, domo, lineage 2, ragnarok online, etc...Dont mind what others have to say about it, be it wooden potatoes or any other YouTuber. What matters is if you're having fun or not.I know I'm having a lot of fun with this new saga so far, after months of barely playing at all. I don't care what others say and neither should you.

@thepenmonster.3621 said:Is he angry about the elementalist nerfs too?

But since we're invoking authority to justify personal feelings about the game, the ghost of Cab Calloway told me that someone else's burn out and general disgruntled mood doesn't mean kitten to my experience.

What I said is that I am feeling in a certain way and I got my feeling confirmed seeing it from the perspective of someone so invested in the game...

There are 2 things very important for MMO:1) there must be a big boost of content from time to time. Expansion. New maps, dungeons, raids, fractals, race, class. Can't do the same stuff forever. And no, nerfs don't count as "expansion level content".

2) other like minded people. Friends.

I think people who watching GW2 partners' videos is not getting the underline issue, which is producing GW2 content videos alone is insufficient to support their living hood, because GW has historically have much smaller player base compare to other games

look at how much contents WoW:C has? not very much, people just steamroll all contents within the first week, but it still drew massive number of viewers to the streamers because of WoW had historically higher number of players, even those who had quit WoW for years will be drawn to watch them just to kill time

@Dantert.1803 said:What I said is that I am feeling in a certain way...

And what I'm saying is that an appeal to authority isn't worth a wooden potato. Invoking him, or any other doofus who plays video games for a living for that matter, doesn't give your personal feelings any more weight.

You're unhappy with the state of the game? GW2 ain't Roots and you're not Kunta Kinte. Walk.

@thepenmonster.3621 said:

@Dantert.1803 said:What I said is that I am feeling in a certain way...

And what I'm saying is that an appeal to authority isn't worth a wooden potato. Invoking him, or any other doofus who plays video games for a living for that matter, doesn't give your personal feelings any more weight.

You're unhappy with the state of the game? GW2 ain't
Roots
and you're not Kunta Kinte. Walk.

Oh man, now you made me change my mind...not...XD

He would be so incredibly disappointed with you for posting something like this. You clearly haven't watched the video, else you would understand that none of this has to do with GW2. He isn't "not sticking with GW2", he is doing what he has always done - produce content that isn't GW2. He will still produce the SAME AMOUNT of GW2 content, he will just show us more (again) of what he does besides it.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Wooden Potatoes stated he would not be any less dedicated to Guild Wars 2. He said he would be making videos on other subjects, as well.

This.

@Dantert.1803 said:Even WP is struggling creating interesting content for this game....what does that tell us? And what does that tell Anet?

Things of note:

• WP started accepting community help in maxing his account starting last year, he made a note about that in his last account tour video early this year. This is no comment on good or bad (I personally do not mind this approach) but it will certainly have left him with less motivation to play his main account with less goals to strive for
  • WP has over 13,000+ hours played on his main account alone (I'm to lazy to check the actual amount for 2019, I know it was above 13k on his account tour 2018) so expect him to be at maybe 14-15k now?

If you are amazed (or feel kindred in spirit) that someone who has spent this amount of time on a game might be burnt out (and he is not even quitting, just expanding to other content), you have sunk a ton more time into this game compared to most average players.

This is no: everything is fine comment. Yes, we are all noticing and missing the lack of expansion from last year (especially since all the other MMOs had one), but come on. Taking WP as baseline for lack of content? I mean I love the guy too, but he has devoted a TON of more time into the game compared to most players.

The correct approach would be to say: look how Arenanet has been able to keep players this devoted over the years. Let's hope they keep up that work and improve on it.

I don't think we watched the same video, because what I gathered is that WP is just expanding the content on his channel, as he has done in the past, while still producing GW2 content (2 out of 4 weeks a month will involve GW2, he's even continuing his GW2 let's play with Living World Season 2). He made it very clear that he still loves GW2, will still be making GW2 content, and was so clear in the hopes that people wouldn't make posts like this.

Nothing wrong with him wanting to add more games to his channel.

Honestly im surprised he didn't start doing it years ago.There's plenty of good games out there with great lore and stuff he can make tons of content on.I'd love to see him make content on Elder Scrolls or Baldurs Gate or something like that, those are great franchises as well.

In the video he is talking about how little watch time is in certain videos. Instead of taking it as a hint that its the content no one cares about, he assumes its because the game is hurting in those places. No one cares about Living World 1 content because no one can experience it for themselves. The majority doesn't care about competitive game modes.

It is important for there to be length in videos, but there is such a thing as videos being too long that it is overwhelming. Especially for a game where it is more fun to play than to watch others play.

It certainly hurts when he talks down to the casuals and invalidates other's opinions that don't match his own.