[PvP Build] Core condi engi build

Zexanima.7851

The Build

I've had some good luck with this build so thought I would share. You need to be very efficient in utilizing positioning, blind, immob, stealth, and A.E.D to stay alive. There is very little hand-holding in that you only have 1 stun break and 1 invuln and they are on the same skill. Most every game I've played with this I get top damage and don't usually have trouble staying alive unless focused hard. This build mainly shines in team fights from all the fields

Notes:

• Swap bomb kit for elixir gun for more sustain and an extra stun break. I've found I don't usually need it though and bomb kit provides a good amount of burns and confusion in team fights as well as sustain through blinds/immob.
  • Swap mortar for elixir X for bigger team fight impact. I've found mortar kit to just be more versatile.
  • Most your damage comes from burning, the rest are really just cover condi but all the poison access is good for anti-heal.

Matchups:

• Necro will destroy you most every time. You can beat reaper but they have to mess up
  • Warrior is a hard fight but winnable. Not usually worth taking a 1v1 with a warrior because if you mess up once and they get off a good CC combo you're done.
  • Guardian is winnable but a stale mate if they are good at cleansing. I've had no trouble fighting FB with this
  • Rev is an easy win
  • Ranger is hard but winnable
  • Thief is hard but winnable
  • Engi (usually holo) is an easy win unless they are prot
  • Weaver is a stalemate or loss if you dont kite well. Just dont 1v1 weavers
  • Mesmer it goes to whoever is the better player really. You can beat condi mirage but it's also hard

Moral of the story is it's not a strong build that will carry you but you CAN do a lot of damage and win fights if you play well. I usually always get top damage with it.

No one ever likes the toolkit, sigh... Thats how you generally beat classes such as reapers - kite and try to burst them just before they commit with spin for the win, then just stand there and block all that damage while they spend their shroud, when they are done your burst should be almost ready again.

I have tried to use AED but I suck at it lol. Never time it right.

@Dawdler.8521 said:No one ever likes the toolkit, sigh... Thats how you generally beat classes such as reapers - kite and try to burst them just before they commit with spin for the win, then just stand there and block all that damage while they spend their shroud, when they are done your burst should be almost ready again.

Agreed. All I ever see is people saying Toolkit sucks, but in WvW I have a hard time working out a build that doesn't use it. With core Engi anyway, I find it almost mandatory because Gear Shield is on such a low cool down and saves me a ton. Magnet is great for yanking people from a distance and/or interrupting blocks, also great setting up combos, baiting stunbreaks, etc. Throw Wrench at max range double hits for 5 - 7k ( 2 - 3k per hit ) and Pry Bar has potential to hit like a truck on squishy targets or if you have a little Might. I've spanked people for 10k Pry Bars more than once.

I understand it's a bit of an awkward kit and that both the auto attack and Box Of Nails aren't the most useful things in the world, but the other skills it has are extremely good. Heck, with a little Quickness the auto attacks are even pretty good too. I often throw a few in there when I'm melee range on someone just to see if I can greed the full auto chain because the third hit is pretty nasty. It's my favorite kit personally.

I really really wouldn't use AED. It works with Holo because you can sort of force yourself to die, but on Scrapper or Core, it's just not going to work against any intelligent opponent. They will exploit its duration and finish you off once it expires.

I'll also put in a third recommendation for toolkit. It does everything you want to do as an engineer. It's offence, defence, and utility all packed into one. It works on condi builds, power builds, tank builds. I never run without it.

@coro.3176 said:I really really wouldn't use AED. It works with Holo because you can sort of force yourself to die, but on Scrapper or Core, it's just not going to work against any intelligent opponent. They will exploit its duration and finish you off once it expires.

I'll also put in a third recommendation for toolkit. It does everything you want to do as an engineer. It's offence, defence, and utility all packed into one. It works on condi builds, power builds, tank builds. I never run without it.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:No one ever likes the toolkit, sigh... Thats how you generally beat classes such as reapers - kite and try to burst them just before they commit with spin for the win, then just stand there and block all that damage while they spend their shroud, when they are done your burst should be almost ready again.

Agreed. All I ever see is people saying Toolkit sucks, but in WvW I have a hard time working out a build that doesn't use it. With core Engi anyway, I find it almost mandatory because Gear Shield is on such a low cool down and saves me a ton. Magnet is great for yanking people from a distance and/or interrupting blocks, also great setting up combos, baiting stunbreaks, etc. Throw Wrench at max range double hits for 5 - 7k ( 2 - 3k per hit ) and Pry Bar has potential to hit like a truck on squishy targets or if you have a little Might. I've spanked people for 10k Pry Bars more than once.

I understand it's a bit of an awkward kit and that both the auto attack and Box Of Nails aren't the most useful things in the world, but the other skills it has are extremely good. Heck, with a little Quickness the auto attacks are even pretty good too. I often throw a few in there when I'm melee range on someone just to see if I can greed the full auto chain because the third hit is pretty nasty. It's my favorite kit personally.

I swap bomb kit for tool kit some times but I get more damage out of dropping the fire bomb in bomb kit in team fights. AED is hard to time correctly, true. I usually always get it to proc. I do like with sb full counter and pop it then dive into the fight with bomb kit, then after it procs I'll elixir S out if I need to. This isn't a primarily 1v1 build though you can do it somewhat. It's more for covering points in team fights and racking up high damage through burns. Another alternative I like for bomb kit is rocket boots for the extra mobility and even more burns. Really that slot is open to whatever you like playing in it.

A.E.D. is completely different from others heals in the game. This is the reason becouse i find it fun . It is a little clunky to time sometimes but it is the only way if you don't want to take alchemy imho . Alchemy for now is better than AED in many ways but with tools and 1 trait ( gadgeteer) you have an heal with a decend cd and condi remove. I think more will consider A.E.D. when healing tower will be 30 secs .