Updates Coming to Drakkar Fight Rewards

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully agree on smaller rewards for a fail.Right now, you litterly wasted 35 minutes on a fail.

After giving it some though, my suggestions would be:

• Allow LFG to join map for better chance. Don't lock down the maps where it becomes a Game of Chance. (No the maps are not full, it CLEARLY states when you try to join another map that you are not ALLOWED to join the map.)
  • Remove the ring on the outside. It's stupid that we cannot fully move around considering the amount of AoE already going on in combination with the fearing, wind etc. We can't even exit the portals after a Champion Fights, back to Drakkar without damage. Which with my deadeye means instant loss of half her health.
  • Stop trying to keep us trapped inside the final fight room. You have no right to deny us a normal escape from a failed fight. Specially not one that long. Give us a normal way to run away from the fight instead of Intentional Death or Relog.
  • Give at least some rewards on a failed fight so we don't want to do as mentioned in the previous point.
  • You block the portal leading to the room below the final fight during the Meta. Please take this one step further: Temporarily remove the NPCs there as well. It is absolutely frustrating that, when Drakkar goes behind the ice wall, I am suddenly shooting into the floor targeting a Fish!
  • The rings for the boost: Less AoE on those. As a risky build, standing in those rings to get the boost is a certain death for me. Which leads to comments in mapchat like "Omg stupid people don't know the Mechanics! you are ignoring the boosts!. get in the rings, you ...." and more of that abuse chat from fellow players that "know the mechanics better than I" I am sick and tired to explain to them WHY I won't step in those rings...

It's simple, the minute I know it's a fail. I go... I am NOT investing time with ZERO chance of ANY form of reward.

Actually you chase people away... when I am in a Drakkar Fight and it fails by seconds (been there) My IMMEDIATE reaction is to Exit GW2 out of pure frustration and go do something else... Whereas normally I would be "too bad, what's Next?!"So please consider that, I already logged out several times due to pure frustration with this fight.

Basically from my point of view: You designed this fight to chase us out of the game... Was that the intended setup? I very much doubt it.

Even if you would say "Legendary" instead of Ascended, with the above issues I have with this fight, it is not enough encouragement for me to try unless I know with a reasonable amount of certainty that there's enough people to have a decent chance of succes.

Without that... I turn away from that fight.

Frankly, I get frustrated from time to time. I am Human... It happens with more fights. Usually I take a breath and come back to it later, to try again.If I would be sitting here emotionless just killing bosses, I would not enjoy the game at all. I am not looking for a walk in the park.

But for me, in this one, you pushed it too far.You made the fight too long, too much going on, too many frustrating elements, for specific tanky builds only, and as insult to injury gave us no normal escape from the fight and not even junk items for the effort.

What's the point for Drakkar's HUGE HP? To make the fight more interesting? To leave us with the impression that the fight is more interesting, because it lasts for so long? I don't get it. Maybe someone could enlighten me on this one.

Rewards are non existent. I don't know if a 0.000001% chance in getting some ascended armor piece / weapon would make the fight more interesting or desired. On the other hand, look at Teq / Wurm with a 0.000001% chance of dropping ascended stuff - a lot of people are running those 2 bosses. I for sure will not spend the next 5 years running Teq / Wurms / Drakkar hoping to get the entire set of ascended skins or to get an ascended drop alltogether.

Rooms are so small that most of the times with all that clutter I can't even understand what the hell is going on there. I just spam AA and try not to get killed by God knows what.

But I guess that's ANet's vision for a boss fight - everyone spam auto attack until melting that specific boss down and get your crappy daily rewards. Sounds like a dream come true.

Here's what I would like - you guys at ANet have the technical possibilites, so why not create a raid boss in the open world? Same mechanics, same rewards. Think big. Think a world boss Xera. With platforms and all that stuff. Or Cardinal Sabir. Or I don't know...your choice. I would love having such a fight in the open world.

1: lowering hp then what happen if people learn how to dps? Just keep in mind that most player do 1 competance rotation with an armor that isn't made to deal damage. A boss with an attavk patter so predictable and so long dps phase can just be burned with zerk or viper stuff.

2: its gw2 you never have reward. Pretty consistant on that.

3: mechs are really slow and are easily avoidable.

Spoiler:

jump 7 time-ish (or stay opposit side from the boss)

Go to the left or right side of the boss so cone don't hit you

dodge toward the boss

Stay out of tornado or red circleJump over wave when greenc circle end

Or just ignore the all because you already did the success and it doesn't hurt you

Anet cannot do a world boss scaled on raid boss as it would forever fail because most player have a casual gameplay (which is totally fine but not compatible with raid) that would make fail the boss. Most likely it would end up with raid people teleporting to different maps, picking the emptiest and fill it with raid people, a bit like triple terror but triple terror doesn't require much dps, just coordination. So in the end would be better to release a 50 man raid option than that ?And raid reward aren't good either, ascended gear that you cannot even sell at trading post, totally useless if your characters are geared.

I dont think Drakkars healthpool is such problem. Just yesterday arround 1-2 am CET I had squad of 25-30 people and Drakkar had like 60-70% HP 10 mins before timer ran out.. and suddenly some "slackers" went panic mode and started to focus. We burned through Drakkars all HP and phases with 1-2 min left.

I think drakkar should be bigger threat mainly for jhavi and her shield and little bit more damage (for champions too) wouldnt hurt aswell.Anyway rewards should have tiers dependent on timer in my opinion.

Maybe I am in minority but I have to say I like this boss fight.

@"Saleerian.2973" said:I dont think Drakkars healthpool is such problem. Just yesterday arround 1-2 am CET I had squad of 25-30 people and Drakkar had like 60-70% HP 10 mins before timer ran out.. and suddenly some "slackers" went panic mode and started to focus. We burned through Drakkars all HP and phases with 1-2 min left.

I think drakkar should be bigger threat mainly for jhavi and her shield and little bit more damage (for champions too) wouldnt hurt aswell.Anyway rewards should have tiers dependent on timer in my opinion.

a 30 minute boss fight is no fun to me. My time is wasted so bad with that fight that i dont even do a proper DPS rotation anymore because it makes no difference in the time it takes if i stop. Or i just camp outside till its at25% and hit it through the last phase, its so much better.

Player time is valuable, making them spend 30+ minutes trying to kill a boss for a few yellows, blues and greens is just terrible game design IMO, even the .0000001% chance at an ascended item wont change that for me. At least with the other bosses that have that low of a drop rate i can be done with them in 10 minutes or less, and go do things i enjoy IG.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"Saleerian.2973" said:I dont think Drakkars healthpool is such problem. Just yesterday arround 1-2 am CET I had squad of 25-30 people and Drakkar had like 60-70% HP 10 mins before timer ran out.. and suddenly some "slackers" went panic mode and started to focus. We burned through Drakkars all HP and phases with 1-2 min left.

a 30 minute boss fight is no fun to me. My time is wasted so bad with that fight that i dont even do a proper DPS rotation anymore because it makes no difference in the time it takes if i stop. Or i just camp outside till its at25% and hit it through the last phase, its so much better.

Player time is valuable, making them spend 30+ minutes trying to kill a boss for a few yellows, blues and greens is just terrible game design IMO, even the .0000001% chance at an ascended item wont change that for me. At least with the other bosses that have that low of a drop rate i can be done with them in 10 minutes or less, and go do things i enjoy IG.

Maybe I have been lucky with groups, but is it being thought of genuinely as a 30 min fight to others? The boss itself in my experience so far rarely takes longer than 15mins after the pre is done. At a push, 30 mins would be boss + pre which I personally think is a good thing for making a meta event chain feel more involving (subject to below caveats)

I think the issue comes down to the fight being very dull and so the time investment drags a lot more than it should. Drakkar doesn't really take any longer than Gerent or Triple Trouble, but Gerent keeps things mixed up in phases so you aren't locked to one long time limit and Triple Trouble requires you to focus enough of what is going on that you don't notice how long you spent on the fight.

If they can nail the rewards and maybe even give the fight a complete do-over, I think the time limit is unlikely going to be an issue if players are finding it too long right now

@Randulf.7614 said:

Maybe I have been lucky with groups, but is it being thought of genuinely as a 30 min fight to others? The boss itself in my experience so far rarely takes longer than 15mins after the pre is done. At a push, 30 mins would be boss + pre which I personally think is a good thing for making a meta event chain feel more involving (subject to below caveats)

I think the issue comes down to the fight being very dull and so the time investment drags a lot more than it should. Drakkar doesn't really take any longer than Gerent or Triple Trouble, but Gerent keeps things mixed up in phases so you aren't locked to one long time limit and Triple Trouble requires you to focus enough of what is going on that you don't notice how long you spent on the fight.

If they can nail the rewards and maybe even give the fight a complete do-over, I think the time limit is unlikely going to be an issue if players are finding it too long right now

Ive seen it fail due to running out of time already. It really is heavily dependent on your time zone.

@Dante.1763 said:

Ive seen it fail due to running out of time already. It really is heavily dependent on your time zone.

Fair enough. I tend to do mine at EU reset (ie now) and it just gets smashed down. Maybe ill try a diff time and see how things fare

@Randulf.7614 said:

Fair enough. I tend to do mine at EU reset (ie now) and it just gets smashed down. Maybe ill try a diff time and see how things fare

At the time of this post i just had one fail. 18% left on its HP with a squad of 35 hitting the boss.

@lare.5129 said:I am sure that people who say thta boss easy -do trolling. It is only my opinion. But I am think so.

As for weapon whit uniq skin - nice, but I hope it not exist any collection with that weapons ?

They didn't for Tequatl and I don't think Scion has a collection either, so it is unlikely.

Not that I'm against a collection mind you. The more the merrier, as long as the only thing locked behind it is points or something trivial

@Dante.1763 said:

Last attempt for me was a group that ran out of time on the third spirit champ.

Making the boss a GIANT damage sponge and then adding in hard CC waves knocking people around was a big mistake. You can have a hazard filled fight with low HP or a fight where you can just stand there and auto with minimal interruption like Teq. Doing both means groups of people already doing poor dps are doing even less because they're getting spammed with re-position effects or constant chill

The fight's not even remotely hard but Anet has also cultivated a playerbase that doesn't want to have to try either.

People want the illusion of doing well and beating something hard, not something that actually requires them to do well.

Cut his HP in half or more and increase the damage on the already easily avoided AoE's and the fight would be much more tolerable

Yesterday i got a drakkar fight being top dps of a 50 player group with a bad 8k dps. Doing a proper rotation and having good buff could easily double that and still the boss got killed with 15min left on timer.Health isn't an issue, wouldn't be surprised to see it killed in with 22 to 25min left on timer by good and well thought groups. Especially if they phase it at first burn and so do not get downtime waiting for him to relocate.

@Fangoth.3164 said:Yesterday i got a drakkar fight being top dps of a 50 player group with a bad 8k dps. Doing a proper rotation and having good buff could easily double that and still the boss got killed with 15min left on timer.Health isn't an issue, wouldn't be surprised to see it killed in with 22 to 25min left on timer by good and well thought groups. Especially if they phase it at first burn and so do not get downtime waiting for him to relocate.

I laugh when I look at arcdps during these events. Last night I was playing a Renegade Healing build and I was 5th or 6th DPS in a full 50 man squad. No wonder these nubs find him harder to beat, they can't even out DPS the healer. The entire fight is being carried by 5 or 6 people.

@Bassdeff.1895 said:

@Fangoth.3164 said:Yesterday i got a drakkar fight being top dps of a 50 player group with a bad 8k dps. Doing a proper rotation and having good buff could easily double that and still the boss got killed with 15min left on timer.Health isn't an issue, wouldn't be surprised to see it killed in with 22 to 25min left on timer by good and well thought groups. Especially if they phase it at first burn and so do not get downtime waiting for him to relocate.

I laugh when I look at arcdps during these events. Last night I was playing a Renegade Healing build and I was 5th or 6th DPS in a full 50 man squad. No wonder these nubs find him harder to beat, they can't even out DPS the healer. The entire fight is being carried by 5 or 6 people.

Yea...see, the thing is, 90% of PVE players are here to relax and not do top raid DPS, if they are even capable of managing the rotation depending on the builds/class.

@Dante.1763 said:

Yea...see, the thing is, 90% of PVE players are here to relax and not do top raid DPS, if they are even capable of managing the rotation depending on the builds/class.

You can relax by pressing more than 1 button. Without managing rotations, they could double their damage output just by using skills other than AA. I get that not everybody will strive for flawless execution or has the ability to do so but they can at least try. Some people get into these metas and it's like they go brain dead. They don't dodge, they don't jump the waves, they don't even try to move out of the AoEs. They just stand there and pew pew on the range weapon while 10% of the group do all the work.

@Bassdeff.1895 said:

You can relax by pressing more than 1 button. Without managing rotations, they could double their damage output just by using skills other than AA. I get that not everybody will strive for flawless execution or has the ability to do so but they can at least try. Some people get into these metas and it's like they go brain dead. They don't dodge, they don't jump the waves, they don't even try to move out of the AoEs. They just stand there and pew pew on the range weapon while 10% of the group do all the work.

Theres literately no reward to play better though, aside from completing the boss a little faster. Which isnt that great of an incentive given it still takes -forever- to do. I could maybe see the boss dying in 7-15 minutes with a group of 50 doing just below raid dps, but whats the point? The rewards are once a day, and its on a timer so killing it faster doesnt do much.

But, do remember their is a massive damage disparity among player skill levels(up to 10x between good and average players.), i highly doubt its because the players suck, but rather there really isnt a incentive to do better in the game. Id -love- if the drop rate for rare items increased based off TTK in this game, play better = get better loot. Sure everyone can get that loot anyways, but you due to playing better have a better chance. Anets past attempts to make players better backfired bad(see HOT), so i very highly doubt they can try that again.

Final note: im not arguing about players being unable to pull off better DPS, just that for the majority there is no incentive for them to do so as long as they are enjoying their game with how they are playing now, insulting them, or complaining about it on here or in game is not going to change that.

Can you make Exit mote from last room? Failed or Succeed you can't escape unless with waypoint or with map change (tried after killing Drakkar in a map, got contribution for another map instance so i got into, Raven Gates worked so i went out with those from last room).Drakkar need less traps-making, more HP, raven gates unrestricted access (no Cooldown before ability to go through again), high number of creatures (Fallen, Svanir and Aberrant with classes from hatchling to elites (champions in highly-scaled maps) and defenitely level scaling up to 84), Make Drakkar breakbar time-limited (20 secs max) when he do with his claws around the protective sphere, Legendary Spirit drainer in Extra-High upscaled maps and defenitely green circles have fast disappear time.Also arena where we fight him needs to be square not circle for best view distance, needs fear distance don't reach one random area (like an orange-colored field of effect) in that closed square that is unreachable by fear for players and entrance mote if Drakkar at second or third room.One last thing, Drakkar head need to be smaller, i can barely see its head.Thank you for your nice work on game, ArenaNet and may the Spirits of the Wild light your way...

I've done him a number of times now and not once have I seen the event fail.Surprised to see people talking about failures here considering how easy it's been to kill for me and my maps.

Perhaps there should be a player cap on the portals though, I have seen a lot of players rush through the first portal and get hit with a CD that prevents them going in the second.That could cause issues if your large zerg is mostly blocked from fighting one of the champs and the 10-15 players who can go in get rekt lol

Maybe it would be better if say the portal CD was extended and the portals would only allow 50 people max to enter per champ.The long CD worked well in the Silverwastes map so could work here too providing it wasn't possible for the whole map to run in a single portal and get locked out of the others XD

@Dante.1763 said:

Theres literately no reward to play better though, aside from completing the boss a little faster. Which isnt that great of an incentive given it still takes -forever- to do. I could maybe see the boss dying in 7-15 minutes with a group of 50 doing just below raid dps, but whats the point? The rewards are once a day, and its on a timer so killing it faster doesnt do much.

But, do remember their is a massive damage disparity among player skill levels(up to 10x between good and average players.), i highly doubt its because the players suck, but rather there really isnt a incentive to do better in the game. Id -love- if the drop rate for rare items increased based off TTK in this game, play better = get better loot. Sure everyone can get that loot anyways, but you due to playing better have a better chance. Anets past attempts to make players better backfired bad(see HOT), so i very highly doubt they can try that again.

Final note: im not arguing about players being unable to pull off better DPS, just that for the majority there is no incentive for them to do so as long as they are enjoying their game with how they are playing now, insulting them, or complaining about it on here or in game is not going to change that.

I agree that aside from time, a precious and limited resource IMO, there isn't much incentive for people to learn to play better and it seems that Anet is starting to play around with TTK as an incentive with the different tiers of chests you get out of strikes. Hopefully they can expand on that. I'm not calling these people out to be mean or insulting. I say it because it is the truth, the fight is long and boring because DPS is terrible because they are playing lazy, and because of them a 10 min fight takes 25 to 30. If the truth offends them then that is their problem.

@Lurana.7506 said:More? Shouldn't it be less? So it becomes less of a dps sponge?

For smaller groups that would be initially bad, but I'm also suggesting more mechanics as a fight carrying factor, and it would also keep people from being bored and complaining about the fight as being too simple. But this would make it so there's a more possible chance of failure for say 50-80 people not keeping up with something like maybe could be lure the boss out thing or Koda's Flame sort of thing to induce more damage via burning or something.

Less health (dps sponge) but more mechanics. Majority of players will agree.

Also the combat system should expecially be more effective when players combine skills, is true skills already have big descriptions, would be nice some kind of visual indication on how to combine different professions skills to more effectively win.

For a new player is hard to understand what all those terms mean and how to combine them. I suggest using some icon language especially for combination of skills across professions