If even Wooden Potatoes is struggling with sticking to Gw2...

Dantert.1803

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:In the video he is talking about how little watch time is in certain videos. Instead of taking it as a hint that its the content no one cares about, he assumes its because the game is hurting in those places. No one cares about Living World 1 content because no one can experience it for themselves. The majority doesn't care about competitive game modes.

Could you provide some quotes or time stamps where this is said? Because you're making it sound like we watched a completely different video.

It is important for there to be length in videos, but there is such a thing as videos being too long that it is overwhelming. Especially for a game where it is more fun to play than to watch others play.

He never implied this. He implied that most people follow him for GW2 content and as such these people either unsubbed, stopped supporting him on patreon or simply didn't watch those non-GW2 videos when they were more common on his main channel. There is no such thing as a gameplay video being too long. Going through changes and everything doesn't suddenly stop being interesting or relevant halfway through, unless you never cared about certain aspects of it to begin with. Many of the other streamers I follow directly upload their 5 to 8 hour streams to Youtube and it certainly did not stop their popularity or the popularity of the videos at all. Nothing stops people from just listening to it in the background while they play their own game, which is generally how most of this content is viewed.

It certainly hurts when he talks down to the casuals and invalidates other's opinions that don't match his own.

Again, I must ask where this is coming from because he never did this. The only thing I can read into this direction would be saying that many people don't fully enjoy releases, or that he says he doesn't personally enjoy these events or bosses that are scaled so that the lowest common denominator can complete them.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Wooden Potatoes stated he would not be any less dedicated to Guild Wars 2. He said he would be making videos on other subjects, as well.

Part of what he said yes, he also said that according to his data the game is doing worse than it did 3-4 years ago and its hard to sustain an income through gw2 at this time.

Content creators and game devs help eachother so if one is underperforming both are.

@Teratus.2859 said:I'd love to see him make content on Elder Scrolls or Baldurs Gate or something like that, those are great franchises as well.

Literally within hours of me posting that, WP releases an Elderscrolls video XD

And not 10 mins before this I hear my real name and my Gw2 main characters first name mentioned within minutes of each other in the Tv show i'm currently watching.Too many coincidences have officially weirded me out right now lmao!!

@Blocki.4931 said:

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:In the video he is talking about how little watch time is in certain videos. Instead of taking it as a hint that its the content no one cares about, he assumes its because the game is hurting in those places. No one cares about Living World 1 content because no one can experience it for themselves. The majority doesn't care about competitive game modes.

Could you provide some quotes or time stamps where this is said? Because you're making it sound like we watched a completely different video.WP was very clear on many occasion that a sizable portion of his audience immediately tunes out the moment he talks about anything PvP related. He flat out says so in the video. He's said it on stream more times than I can remember. He's more than clear about it. If you've watched his streams at all you can see a good chunk of his numbers drop the moment he starts to pvp on stream.This absolutely was mentioned in the video

It certainly hurts when he talks down to the casuals and invalidates other's opinions that don't match his own.

Again, I must ask where this is coming from because he never did this. The only thing I can read into this direction would be saying that many people don't fully enjoy releases, or that he says he doesn't personally enjoy these events or bosses that are scaled so that the lowest common denominator can complete them.You've not watched many of his streams. WP has been very critical of large segments of the population. And rightfully so.That said to characterize him as "talking down to the casuals" instead of holding the toxic casuals to task (as he does) or saying he "invalidates other's opinions that don't match his own" rather than portraying him as "arguing his own points" does nothing but prove that the person you are replying to has an agenda.

It seems to me in the past 6 months or so a lot of them have been leaving or reducing the amount of gw2 content they create. Not saying people are not allowed to change focus but it’s been several. If you like their content or not it’s important for big games to have a healthy community around it which content creators help make (why do you think game companies invest in partner programs). I don’t mean to sound too doom-and-gloom and i’m hoping the patch brings some back. What’re your thoughts?

I'm amazed there are as many as there are for a game nearly 8 years old. Altho the drop in quality has prob contributed, a natural burn out is expected for the longer running creators. Plus many get older and find new priorities in life.

But, as said above, newer ones come in as older ones phase out so overall it is the lower end of the concern spectrum that the game has right now

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@"mindcircus.1506" said:And in a lot of their places a new wave of them have cropped up over the past few months.But I guess acknowledging that doesnt fit the current narrative does it?

Could you share some? I’m always interested in checking out new content creators

https://welcome.guildwars2.com/en-gb/partner-program

There's a list there of partners. I am afraid I couldn't tell you which are new and which are old though. I see new ones tweeted about on occasion, but I follow none so I pay little attention otherwise

Apart from a few lore videos here and there, most of the GW2 content creators have never really appealed to me. It's strange, I still watch various content creators of other games, even though I don't play their games anymore. Guess I'm just not compatible with the current creators.

@Randulf.7614 I don't think that list is being updated. For some reason Sodapoppin is on there, someone I regularly watch, but he hasn't played this game in years, and only for a really small amount of time. Or his chat is just trolling Anet.

@"thepenmonster.3621" said:Which is a pity he won't be doing S2 -S5 since his core game LP was exceptionally well done.in his big video that seems that have spurred the misinformation of this thread's OP he said the s2 LP is already well underway and that he's going to be starting to release within the next week or so.Just yesterday he confirmed he is already working on the S2 LP, and confirmed he will continue onwards.Ask yourself "Why am I misinforming people like this?"

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:It seems like many people posting about Wooden Potatoes (whether directly or indirectly) didn't watch the video.Or they watched the video and decided to misinform people anyways.Wooden Potatoes makes a video about how he is going to try and grow his channel, makes it clear he's not abandoning the gw2 content, then outlines several things he has already started and people can expect.A disaffected part of the community responds with "Content creators are leaving" or pretends they missed the parts about the upcoming content and spreads outright false information... about videos they just watched.Never mind that Teapot still streams GW2 over 5 hours a day 6 days a week, that Mukluk goes over 5 hours a day regularly or that WP himself and Bootts spent 4 hours going over every change in the upcoming balance patch. The fact that WP just posted a 7+ hour audiobook of Ghosts of Ascalon the day before means nothing. Forget about the fact that Kroof still posting videos as often as ever or that Krytan Herald is still posting her regular fashion vids. Noody's regular updates means nothing or the fact that there's a half dozen new people posting build videos because apparently people can't search Youtube themselves anymore.None of this fits the narrative of a small group of people who are willfully doing as much damage to the perception of the game as they can by starting threads with false information and spreading the dead game/maintenance mode memes.... because they are not getting what they want.

@coso.9173 said:or just quit.

Except that Arenanet's business model is made specifically to punish people who leave for any long length of time. If you drop out for more than 3 months, and then decide you want to get back into the game, you have to fork over cash for any living story segments you might have missed, and you'd better log in once a week for the next 3 years if you want that mount skin or glider that you missed in the Gem store while you were gone.

He didn't say he is done with this game. Just that in the long run, limiting himself to gw2, is hurting his wallet and limiting his audience. He wants to branch out and break away from the typecast as being just a Guild Wars 2 player. WP is what got me into doing videos of my own, but he's right. No one is really interested in watching Guild Wars 2. I had to branch out myself and I am still trying to do what I love as well.

The "older" content creators seem to be dropping off because we aren't getting the same content cadence in the form of big name expansions, so they feel they need to change how they fill video time. The "newer" content creators are cropping up because they are finding maximum enjoyment out of what is coming out and making content based on that.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"thepenmonster.3621" said:Which is a pity he won't be doing S2 -S5 since his core game LP was exceptionally well done.in his big video that seems that have spurred the misinformation of this thread's OP he said the s2 LP is already well underway and that he's going to be starting to release within the next week or so.Just
yesterday
he confirmed he is already working on the S2 LP, and confirmed he will continue onwards.Ask yourself "Why am I misinforming people like this?"

I was not referring just to him. There have been several leaving completely, not just doing less gw2 content. Like I said, this is not a doom and gloom thread. If people can hook me up with new content creators i’m all for it.