Poor servers

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Have you used a program like PingPlotter to find where connection issues lay?Does your path use Telia?

if out of a 20, 30, 40, 50 men squad, 20, 30, 40, 50 suffer from lag, it isn't the players issue. It is the companies issue.

If more then 25% of the playerbase would experience l structural lag (and you are talking about 100%), this forum, the gw2 reddit and many other places would be filled with complaints.What is possible that the squad experienced a moment of lag while one or two members experience it on a structural base. That is why the answer given by @Inculpatus cedo.9234 is a good one. It will pinpoint the issue to where it actually is. There is a known issue with Telia, so if pingplotter shows any steps by them as the issue, there are also solutions.

go to wvw forum. 100% of players during big three way fight suffer from lag. Severe lag. Multi second lag.

That is just real. The wvw forum is complaining about it for YEARS. People from ALL OVER THE WORLD.

Some month ago in this very forum people started to complain about severe lag during big Tequatls.

I have been in such circumstances. It is not one person, it is douzends of players who experience severe lag. Again, people from ALL OVER THE WORLD.

I for one am not routed via telia.

Are you still trying to tell me it is an 'isp issue'? Because other games work just fine.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Have you used a program like PingPlotter to find where connection issues lay?Does your path use Telia?

if out of a 20, 30, 40, 50 men squad, 20, 30, 40, 50 suffer from lag, it isn't the players issue. It is the companies issue.

What other games have a mode in which 240 players at a time may be interacting, each casting skill on as many as 239 other players plus various structural objects like walls.

Yes, it is the company's issue. It's been around since the day the game went live. The thing about WVW lag is that it may be a problem arising from the mathematics of NxN interactions for which there is no feasible solution.

your point would fly a lot better, if we were still in the laste 90s/early 2000s. And it would fly even better if players would not agree that lag was a lot less pronounceda) before the move to amazon serversb) before PoF dropped

Some lag is actually expected. But 5s or more or even total inability to cast anything channeled - it just yells 'bad design' at the top of its lungs.

And THAT is something anet had 7 years to fix.

Fighting tequatl I get better ms than doing fractals. I have 300mbps internet. No issues there because i watch streams, youtube at the same time on my other monitor and there is no lag or buffering. From my guild people also says that they started to lag after recent update :)

The OP is talking about skill lag which occurs regularly in WvW and can be seen in many YouTube videos. Basically when there's alot of action any skills take several seconds to go off even if your ping is low, because the server has limited CPU power and this became worse after ArenaNet apparently switched to cheaper AWS servers a few years back instead of dedicated NCSoft servers.

It has nothing to do with ping or connection quality and affects everyone on the map equally. They even reduced the number of players per team in some of the maps not long ago, presumably to compensate for mounts, but it didn't help much.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:your point would fly a lot better, if we were still in the laste 90s/early 2000s. And it would fly even better if players would not agree that lag was a lot less pronounceda) before the move to amazon serversb) before PoF dropped

Some lag is actually expected. But 5s or more or even total inability to cast anything channeled - it just yells 'bad design' at the top of its lungs.

And THAT is something anet had 7 years to fix.

Yes it is bad design. A senior level programmer with good algorithm training should have realized the problem fairly quickly. O(N^2) is not going to be a good thing when large numbers are involved..

One of the roles of computational complexity theory is to determine the practical limits on what computers can and cannot do. Sometimes the the answer is computers can't do this.

It doesn't matter if the year is 1950 or 2150. Fixing skill lag in WVW would mean a major restructuring of that game mode. You might be able to improve on the current situation by throwing more CPU at it, but that is going to result in a LOT of CPU sitting idle for the 99% of the game time that no max zergs are engaged, or unpredictable large compute bills when two Worlds are going at it hammer and tong.

It is a hard problem.

well, they moved to amazon, didn't they? scale as needed is one of the selling point of the oh-so-mighty-it-makes-everything-better-cloud.

Maybe, just maybe, instead of introducing more and more flashy effects with PoF that made everything worse (Holo, Scourges), they should have had a deep think about their networking code and deserializing. But they obviously didn't. And now you are coming in, first blaming ISPs and then saying 'it can't be fixed, it is just math'.

At the same time GW2 client side is still very very single threaded so bunch of players can choke even modern cpus - and nothing has been done for that in years either.

Good performance does not sell gemstore skins. But bad performance makes people rage quit.

And the performance is really, really bad.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

If more then 25% of the playerbase would experience l structural lag (and you are talking about 100%), this forum, the gw2 reddit and many other places would be filled with complaints.What is possible that the squad experienced a moment of lag while one or two members experience it on a structural base. That is why the answer given by @Inculpatus cedo.9234 is a good one. It will pinpoint the issue to where it actually is. There is a known issue with Telia, so if pingplotter shows any steps by them as the issue, there are also solutions.

Forums, reddit and other places ARE actually full of complains, but people get tired of complaining and give up and go play other games hoping when they come back it is fixed. I have this issue since before Christmas and keep reporting it, then it fixes for few hours and it is same all over again.

What I don't understand is when this message is shown, why launcher deleting my password?!!!

gS1CQu7.jpg

@"Hannelore.8153" said:The OP is talking about skill lag which occurs regularly in WvW and can be seen in many YouTube videos. Basically when there's alot of action any skills take several seconds to go off even if your ping is low, because the server has limited CPU power and this became worse after ArenaNet apparently switched to cheaper AWS servers a few years back instead of dedicated NCSoft servers.

It has nothing to do with ping or connection quality and affects everyone on the map equally. They even reduced the number of players per team in some of the maps not long ago, presumably to compensate for mounts, but it didn't help much.

Come on, I experience lag with only 3~5 player in the map here is the link (few days ago)

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:well, they moved to amazon, didn't they? scale as needed is one of the selling point of the oh-so-mighty-it-makes-everything-better-cloud.

Despite what TV show and internet pundits say, throwing more CPU at slowness issues rarely fixes scaling issues that have resulted from limited(or poor) design. Leave the analysis to experts.

• 2 weeks later...

This game would run a lot better if the Amazon Servers its running on weren't shared with other games.

It needs dedicated servers, and a way better CPU to handle the skill spam. What we had previously was 10 times better. When you decide to cut costs and go with the cheaper option, it hurts in the long run because not only does it upset your players. It drives them off the game in frustration.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Does it cost less to rent someone else's servers, than use your own? I've no idea.

well i think anet used to own their servers which were located in dallas, and now they are renting amazon servers which are in the east coast.

before the move to amazon, lag not related to latency was rarely an issue. after the move a lot off issues were high ping times for oceanic players, which are still manageable for the players. however, these past few months it seems the bottlneck is on the servers themselves... which suggest either 1) bugs on their server code.. or 2) they are renting cheap servers and those servers are unable to handle the load.

personally i think the move to amazon was one of the worst decision they ever made. it made financial sense obviously, but it is a big slap to the face on overseas players, a total disgregard to their playing experience.