If even Wooden Potatoes is struggling with sticking to Gw2...

Dantert.1803

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on people, WP clearly states that since it has been hard to find real content to make videos about since PoF he decided to expand on other games since Gw2 isn't giving him enough.He also says that he doesn't want to ask Anet for an expansion for his own interest(to give him content to make good videos about) but still he thinks it is important for the well being of the game.This Saga thing is damaging the game, just in this thread many people wrote that they are currently not playing often, they are just logging in for those 2 hours of story patch when they are released.I'm not trying to elevate WP choices to the final words on Gw2 death but just saying that maybe if one of the biggest supporters of the game since the start is having an hard time to focus on GW2 to create his content maybe it means that the current game strategy is not helping the game to grow

I wonder when will people understand that if there's no expansion is because of something. It's not a random decision at all. Either they don't have the resources to do it now, or by last experiences it's not worth it for them. You can keep complaining about it all that you want but it won't change their decision and why they took it

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:It seems like many people posting about Wooden Potatoes (whether directly or indirectly) didn't watch the video.Again, WP stated he was not producing any less GW2 content. He was going to cover other topics.

WP stated that where he could live comfortably producing GW2 only content in the past, the current situation with the waning GW2 audience demands him to branch out and get further revenue to support himself now. Are we not talking about that?

@Konrad Curze.5130 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:Who are these content creators that stopped?

Jawgeous and Hizen for starters. Dulfy a while ago

Hizen streamed GW2 9 days ago, Dulfy appears to have stopped creating content for not only GW2, but also all other MMOs on her site. I doubt it has anything to do with GW2.

Also WP branched out in the past, like his Grimrock or Tomb Raider stuff, so it's nothing new. He's just saying he wants to grow his channel by reaching a bigger audience, which is reasonable for a youtuber.

@Raknar.4735 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:Who are these content creators that stopped?

Hizen streamed GW2 9 days ago, Dulfy appears to have stopped creating content for not only GW2, but also all other MMOs on her site. I doubt it has anything to do with GW2.

Also WP branched out in the past, like his Grimrock or Tomb Raider stuff, so it's nothing new. He's just saying he wants to grow his channel by reaching a bigger audience, which is reasonable for a youtuber.

Shorts seems to have stopped? Idk, his last video wasn't anything specific. Jawgeous is also another.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Who are these content creators that stopped?

Shorts seems to have stopped? Idk, his last video wasn't anything specific. Jawgeous is also another.

Never heard of Shorts. Do you mean Shorts_Gaming? Just checked him out. On his "New Big Patch first thoughts" from 26.1.2020 he atleast said at 4:24 that he's going to do more videos on the balance. Doesn't seem to have stopped to me.

As for Jawgeous, yeah, he did quit. I never really liked his personality, and he still seems really hung up about Guild Wars 2, based on his twitter feed.

@Raknar.4735 said:

Never heard of Shorts. Do you mean Shorts_Gaming? Just checked him out. On his "New Big Patch first thoughts" from 26.1.2020 he atleast said at 4:24 that he's going to do more videos on the balance. Doesn't seem to have stopped to me.

As for Jawgeous, yeah, he did quit. I never really liked his personality, and he still seems really hung up about Guild Wars 2, based on his twitter feed.

Yeah, shorts_gaming.

Idk if this is an "I'm quitting the game" vid or just wvw. Who knows. I wasn't a fan of Jawgeous either but he was a fairly big creator non-the-less.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

Yeah, shorts_gaming.
Idk if this is an "I'm quitting the game" vid or just wvw. Who knows. I wasn't a fan of Jawgeous either but he was a fairly big creator non-the-less.

Just looks like a goodbye to the Mesmer to me, since it is getting nerfed. I'm used to Variety- / WoW-/ HS- / LoL / PoE- streamers/youtubers. Compared to them Jawgeous had a really small reach as a creator. "Fairly big" relative to GW2? I guess? Maybe? I don't know, like I said earlier in this thread, GW2 content creators haven't really reached me with their content, apart from some lore videos, so I don't really know what is considered "big" in GW2.

@Raknar.4735 said:

Yeah, shorts_gaming.

Just looks like a goodbye to the Mesmer to me, since it is getting nerfed. I'm used to Variety- / WoW-/ HS- / LoL / PoE- streamers/youtubers. Compared to them Jawgeous had a really small reach as a creator. "Fairly big" relative to GW2? I guess? Maybe? I don't know, like I said earlier in this thread, GW2 content creators haven't really reached me with their content, apart from some lore videos, so I don't really know what is considered "big" in GW2.

Yeah, I guess I have a smaller perspective on it being a mostly PvP/WvW player so that creators are more my interest. I "think?" they have a smaller following than the PvE creators because of the smaller community around it.

Not sure. I have a fair number of smaller content creators I watch when the bigger ones (teepo, Jaw, and even to am extent, WP) all became kinda insufferable. It's fun watching people newer to the game explore and discover and work through it, versus the vets who by and large are negative about the game.

I come and go with this game and I don't care who plays or not. I like the game you don't have to like it as much or as little as I do. You make your own content. I constantly see people dependent on "New" content for their good times. There is plenty of things to do if you use your imagination and step out of the box you have put yourself in. Every one rushes content like they are trying to win an award. There are always things to do even though you may not want to do them.

So in short his opinion does not reflect mine or even yours. Just because he streams does not make him important to me. Just like this post is not important to you.

When content creators signal they are going to expand their content to other games it sends a nonverbal message to the game community that they are losing interest. The partner list is very out of date, but it is a temp gauge for the game. We watch youtubers on a regular basis and the games they play are what everyone else is playing. GW2 is not on any of their radars. To be honest, however none of the content creators that I watch are playing MMOs. It is other games.

Part of the GW2 downturn is because of the overall downturn in MMO play. Many more games in recent years have added multiplayer components that gamers are flocking to. Gaming in general is increasing. Online gaming in general is increasing. MMO play time is decreasing.

Quite honestly, my family hasn't played GW2 in a while, because it just isn't interesting. We are playing games like ESO, TABS, Minecraft, ARK, Atlas, Empyrion and even Stardew Valley because it now has a multiplayer component. Only one of those is an MMO. These games aren't new, they just are more interesting to us than GW2

Your mileage may vary, but for our family bus only an expansion will get us back playing GW2.

@Trise.2865 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:Nothing wrong with him wanting to add more games to his channel.

Honestly im surprised he didn't start doing it years ago.

He did. He played Final Fantasy X-2 for a while.It went over exactly as well as that sounds.

I don't recall that lol

I know he streams different games occasionally, Tomb Raider being one I remember.All the notifications I get are Gw2 related though so never watched anything else on his channel besides that content.

To be honest, even if Wooden Potatoes and other streamers all got together and quit the game tomorrow, I don't think it'd matter. Dulfy hasn't posted new guides in close to a year, and while I miss the usefulness of her website, the void has been filled by players helping each other in map chat and squad.

There's no special analysis to be done here. Content creators and streamers are just players with the caveat that they make stuff related to their game of choice. They aren't better (or worse) than anyone else because of their content creation, and the impact of their coming and going shouldn't be the crisis that people make it out to be.

All I can really say on this is what I always do: If a content creator leaves or you see a void that can be filled, fill it yourself or support the people who are trying to.

WP imo needs a plan b for his channel. To be honest GW2 is not delivering this much content to do vids/Let's plays these days. The Icebrood saga is imo lacking at lenght and depth storywise till now and the new archivments are the same old shenanigans we already done a lot's of time before. No one knows how the saga plays out in the end and if we will get lasting content like new e specs or something like this wich can be used to produce interesting new content.

And to be honest i ''only'' got around 6k play time overall in this game and have some times wehre i need to take a step away from the game or i would get burned out. I don't know exactly how many hours WP invested but i would guess between 15k and 25k easily. So it seems pretty legit to me if he wants to do some other games too.