Comments

• Plok.5873Plok.5873 Member ✭✭✭

Oh wonderful, AN jumped on the low-contrast train. Another website I cannot read without a reader-mode addon or else suffer fatigue after only a few minutes.
    Guys, seriously, not everyone has perfect eye-sight. This low-contrast design doctrine is quite inconsiderate towards four-eyes...

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2017

Thanks Gaile. Shame the reaction system has to exist at all, but this is at least fixes a major issue with the new forum. I think really the only issue that remains for me is the intense white background, but since I'll be avoiding the forums as much as poss during the initial weeks of PoF to avoid story spoilers (a lesson I learned the hard way from HoT), hopefully that will be fixed within that time.

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Looks stretched out and cluttered compared to the old forum. If possible I'd like to be able to use the old layout as much as possible in the form of a skin at the very least.

• kKagari.6804kKagari.6804 Member ✭✭✭✭

The avatars are kitten to begin with, there are so little to pick from everyone is looking the same. And they are too big

• vicious.5683vicious.5683 Member ✭✭✭

Give us a Night Mode kitten!!

• @Kossage.9072 said:
    Thanks for the new forums! :)

According to the announcement on the GW2 main page, the plan is to keep the current forums accessible in an archived, read-only mode until the end of October, and the team won’t be migrating normal content from the old forum’s database into the new one.

I'm not sure if it's possible to do, but I'd like a way to at least preserve dev comments from the old forums in some readable form as many of those offered valuable insight into game mechanics, lore (such as clarifying some confusing plot elements like the great responses back in Season 1 about the motivations of Scarlet and Scarlet's Alliance, Dolyak Express threads) etc. that will be lost once the old forum content becomes inaccessible.

Having this old developer information accessible far into the future would not only help with fleshing out GW2Wiki articles with references to said comments but also give us a means to show curious players where to find information us veterans may be referring to when talking about the more technical or lore-heavy stuff. :)

EDIT: Oh, and having both the dev tracker and the arrow thingie to take the reader into the next post by a dev in the same thread would be useful features to port over from the old forums too! ;)

I agree, there definitely should be an effort in preserving the dev posts and the whole thread they posted in for context IMO.

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Hey again,

Taking your feedback on board, we've disabled avatars related to reactions. The reaction system remains, and we appreciate your sharing thoughts on various posts, but we no longer will see the wave of images across the bottom of a post.

You know it's going to be a problem when a single post shows three rows of images in just 6 hours! =) And this is something that was not readily apparent in our testing, it only became noticeable when you guys dove in and reacted, reviewed, and shared your thoughts. So thanks for that feedback!

We'll continue to review and make decisions on other input and suggestions over time.

That's already some improvement (yeah I can see how it couldn't be caught in internal testing), good to hear some suggestions are being listened. Thanks for that.

• @Ampa.2749 said:
    I have expressed my skepticism elsewhere about the security rationale for the omission of images. Not buying it.

My thought as well. I simply fail to see how images can cause "security issue". I deal with software and web systems a lot so I understand about these things and I can't see why uploading images here can be "insecure". However, the only "threat" I can see about it is the use of inappropriate content.

• Can we please edit posts after 15 mins. I just had to double post because of that which is dumb.

• Archranis.2375Archranis.2375 Member ✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Hey again,

Taking your feedback on board, we've disabled avatars related to reactions. The reaction system remains, and we appreciate your sharing thoughts on various posts, but we no longer will see the wave of images across the bottom of a post.

You know it's going to be a problem when a single post shows three rows of images in just 6 hours! =) And this is something that was not readily apparent in our testing, it only became noticeable when you guys dove in and reacted, reviewed, and shared your thoughts. So thanks for that feedback!

We'll continue to review and make decisions on other input and suggestions over time.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Pretty please --- let us have signatures regardless of "rank", in fact, please, please eliminate the ranking system, entirely. Think of it from the point of view of a guild leader, or anyone making posts on behalf of a guild -- not having a signature is a disservice: we will just end up cutting and pasting that info (which is usually contact information) every single time we make a post; and when we need to update information in our recruiting posts, not being able to freely edit our own posts -- even months after they have been made -- is also going to be a disservice because those first few posts that introduce our guild can become out of date. Do we really need [expect] people to read through every single post in our recruiting threads and keep track of what's been superseded?

• kKagari.6804kKagari.6804 Member ✭✭✭✭

how do you send private messages???

• This whole ranking system to unlock basic forums features is dumb.

• Forcen.9352Forcen.9352 Member

This is a nice looking website but it might just be the brightest colored site out there.. I would love a dark theme for the forums and maybe even the whole site.

EDIT: And also switch the locations of the thumbs up and down buttons.

• Lairin.4528Lairin.4528 Member ✭✭
    • Signatures are disabled, just says I do'n't have permission, in which case why is it there at all. If there's a level for permission perhaps it could say so rather than be a mystery.
    • The lines between posts isn't very distinct , I like classic forum looks with a box with the info and member information on the side perhaps, it just feels too spaced out.
    • I +100 a dark/night mode.
    • More avatars/emotes sometime in the future :)
    • First/Last page buttons
      *'New posts' page feature, this is there for Dev posts but not for all.
  • I like the new look but what I liked in the old forums was a way to see which threads had a dev answer in them and once inside devs were easily identifiable.. Any way of implementing this over here ?

• The colour of this new forum is wrong. The old forum I could read and stare at for hours and hours at a time. Within 15 minutes of joining the new updated forum my eyes hurt and I am developing a headache. Please review the settings. Also saying we cant work on changes on the forum (like colours and avatars and the like) is a bit of an oxymoron seeing as you know you just made new ones.

• @garrettx.3452 said:
    I like the new look but what I liked in the old forums was a way to see which threads had a dev answer in them and once inside devs were easily identifiable.. Any way of implementing this over here ?

It's kind of here, there's a dev tracker tab at the top of the page, just not as good as old one imo.

• Maethor.2810Maethor.2810 Member ✭✭✭
    • I don't like that forum features are locked behind badge/activity gates. Forum signatures, edit time, etc. New features would be easier to handle but things that we were able to have before are now locked to us. Having to grow rank to be able to have a longer edit window (which there should be none at all) will really put a damper on updating fanmade story posts, updates during lore discussions, and other similar threads.
    • Need more avatar choices and perhaps smaller icons.
    • The posts seem crowded within a thread. I'm not sure if there's too many lines (two per post, instead of just in between them) or what, but it does make it a little hard visually to have a nice clean flow of posts.
    • I've wanted this from the last forum too: theme options even if it's just light and dark.
  • Hey Gaile, would it be possible to have a post count somewhere on the forums? I'm sure it's been asked before but it would be great.

• If these forums will be the new ones, and the old one to be terminated, please make so on this new forum formate the "My Account" option

• Djinn.9245Djinn.9245 Member ✭✭✭

I do not like the 15 min limit on editing your post.

• The dev tracker links do not often take you directly to the dev post, and instead you have to hunt through the replies. In the old forums we had a hyperlink to a specific post, where when you open it, it would take you straight to that correct post. We need that back.

• @BlaqueFyre.5678 said:
    Now the important Question, does the Search function actually work on this forum?

Yes! Yes it does!. Your question was top of the list when I searched for "does search work".

• hornswroggle.8023hornswroggle.8023 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2017

Hi all
    first up: Congratulations to ArenaNet on the new forums.
    I saw them on Desktop before but now that I'm in bed and wanted to browse a little more I noticed where they REALLY shine:
    Oh Baby do they look good on Mobile now! A slick plain setup with reduced graphics for bandwidth efficiency and very quick load times.
    If you haven't seen it yet check it out it's really good.

• Request: The spanish forum is missing some important features compared to the English version, but the most important one is the Looking for Guild forum.
    This section is specially important because the old spanish forums were almost dead but the Looking for Guild section was the most useful place ever to find guilds and I think almost everyone relied on that at some point to find an spanish guild. Please add that section back in the new forums or it will be a hard hit to our already small community.

• @Kyban.4031 said:

@garrettx.3452 said:
    I like the new look but what I liked in the old forums was a way to see which threads had a dev answer in them and once inside devs were easily identifiable.. Any way of implementing this over here ?

It's kind of here, there's a dev tracker tab at the top of the page, just not as good as old one imo.

Yeah found out afterward but far from as essy as in the old forum unfortunately...

• Must say, this does look fancy.
    There's quite some nice things, like auto saving drafts (The reoccurring popup is a teensy bit annoying), Tagging people, notifications and bookmarks. Hopefully a working search function and even the thumbs up and down or helpful is nice.

Sad to say I don't like arbitrary rules that didn't exist before.
    Edit time, not being able to post pictures, no signatures.
    A ranking system where you need to earn your "basic" forum functions seems like a way to earn something in a forum that is replacing another feels very off to me. Alot of people have been posting useful discussions and useful stuff in the old forums, to take away those previously normal rights and now put them under policing feels like it's a bit restricting. It's harder to adjust to a new forum if you suddenly change the rules as well, and it doesn't make it feel as a home and instead feels more like oh all those things you could do before, not anymore!

Also putting the whole old forum down the drain with so much information there within a months time is slightly off putting. Then again, I probably can't remember all the relevant topics anymore, and little there is to stop us from recreating or revisiting topics I suppose.

Forget the past and let's move forward is great on paper, but disrespects the past completely.

• JustTrogdor.7892JustTrogdor.7892 Member ✭✭✭✭

Is there an ignore/block user function available in the new software? Many forums have an option where you can choose to ignore/block a person and you won't see their posts. It is kind of like the in game block feature. In some forums this option also blocks those you ignore/block from sending you a private message. If so please consider enabling it. Since you are rolling out this shiny new forum you might as well include all the bells and whistles that might be available to give the users as many options as possible.

• Firefox 55.0.3 (64-bit): When using the tiny search button at the bottom of a forum thread, the search text becomes smaller and invisible.
    IE 11.413.15063.0: Same as above, except the cursor line stays put while the text moves left.
    No problems with Chrome, thankfully. Using Windows 10 Home, 64-bit.

Overall, I like the new forum look - having icons really help differentiate between posts with how they're set up now, but I strongly dislike how wide they are. It feels stretched and forced to fill up the page. Would definitely like more avatars (PoF is coming! You know what that means. Bring on the new spec icons, or riot!).
    Could we have links open in a new tab instead of taking us away from the forums? Ctrl+click isn't a hassle for me but it's just one of those nice-to-have things.

• Whoa I had a few threads open to come back to reading after dinner. Upon returning and starting to read through one of the threads, the page then completely reloads.

You've Been Signed Out
    You were signed out due to inactivity.

All my tabs then redirect to this logged out page and I cannot return to the return to the page after logging back in.
    The back button on the browser might work if I hadn't opened new tabs on each...

• @Saphykun.3206 said:
    Firefox 55.0.3 (64-bit): When using the tiny search button at the bottom of a forum thread, the search text becomes smaller and invisible.
    IE 11.413.15063.0: Same as above, except the cursor line stays put while the text moves left.
    No problems with Chrome, thankfully. Using Windows 10 Home, 64-bit.

Overall, I like the new forum look - having icons really help differentiate between posts with how they're set up now, but I strongly dislike how wide they are. It feels stretched and forced to fill up the page. Would definitely like more avatars (PoF is coming! You know what that means. Bring on the new spec icons, or riot!).
    Could we have links open in a new tab instead of taking us away from the forums? Ctrl+click isn't a hassle for me but it's just one of those nice-to-have things.

What are you searching me up for? ;) J/K. Good catch there.

• Vagrant.7206Vagrant.7206 Member ✭✭✭✭

Man, everything feels really cluttered on a desktop. Is there no way to do a list view?

Also, why were the class subforums done away with?

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice!

• @Lairin.4528 said:
    Whoa I had a few threads open to come back to reading after dinner. Upon returning and starting to read through one of the threads, the page then completely reloads.

You've Been Signed Out
    You were signed out due to inactivity.

All my tabs then redirect to this logged out page and I cannot return to the return to the page after logging back in.
    The back button on the browser might work if I hadn't opened new tabs on each...

What browser are you using?

• Could we have the Helpful, Thumbs Down, and Thumbs Up look visually different if we have already selected it? It's a bit confusing the way it is now.

• I'd like to ask if the header area of the forums could stay fixed at the top of the page? I.e. put it in a div with a "fixed" position style and allow the rest of the forum to scroll under it. It's useful seeing the links to other pages and my own notifications/settings/etc while reading.

• @gebrechen.5643 said:
    I think it looks good. Not sure about the speed on mobile yet, but I will soon know

The speed on mobile seems great. Working extremely well.

• @rachl.3760 said:
    Could we have the Helpful, Thumbs Down, and Thumbs Up look visually different if we have already selected it? It's a bit confusing the way it is now.

Yeah, I accidentally unthumbed up a person I had thumbed up by clicking "Thumbs Up" on his post because I couldn't remember if I had or not. I had. It went down one, so I reupvoted it. ^^;

• Praxis.4976Praxis.4976 Member ✭✭

Considering we can't actually personalize our avatar images (which renders the whole 'have your own avatar' thing moot, by the way), it is an eyesore to have avatar images so large on every page. It'd be something else if people were allowed to be creative with their avatar, but having giant, generic avatars is pointless, and ugly. They're also all blurred... the least you could do is provide generic icons that are the correct size to be displayed.

It is bizarre that you are just ditching the old forum. All discussion just tidied under the rug, and everyone silenced mid-discussion. Bizarre.

• I am not sure if adding a Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down is beneficial to this community or not. I feel that people will look to the Up and Down (Votes) before they judge the value of someone's post and dismiss or blindly agree with someone's comment.

An alternative would be to not immediately show the ratings but wait some time similar to the way Reddit does, before showing Ups and Downs. That way in active threads people have a chance to judge someone's post on their own merit rather than be influenced by the rating system immediately.

P.S. - I feel Thumbs Up should be before Thumbs Down, to encourage being positive.

• Ni In.6578Ni In.6578 Member ✭✭✭

If on the desktop site while on a mobile (iOS 10.3.3 w/ Safari for example), returning to the mobile site is very difficult. The link is small and I had a hard time making it work reliably. Could we get a mobile-friendly button instead of a plain link?

[VII] Desert Spectre - Declared Best NA Guild by Grimaldi
    Crystal Desert Consul Member and President of Scrubs; declared most toxic server NA by Z E Y
    [VII] wants fights! Please bring your pug rangers for UD progress.

• It would probably be more positive for the community if there were only a "Thumbs Up", not a "Thumbs Down". We would have only the absence of positivity towards a post, as opposed to full negativity.

Also, the images at the top left of the screen are fine; the images at the top right are very bad. IMO, showing two very annoying and ever present NPCs (Taimi and Braham) only reinforce the common belief that GW2 is more about the NPCs than about our characters.

How about some anti eyes bleeding options? Here's the direct link to the concept.

• I have to agree a night mode which can be used with both mobiles and desktop pc's would be nice. Plus I assume avatars for the new elites are on the way right?

• Btw some text over laps or moves of screen and is not viewable on mobile devices.

• Miss Lana.5276Miss Lana.5276 Member ✭✭✭

From what I've seen the posts don't show the date that they were posted, only the time. This could affect the amount of necro'd posts in the future, and will be irritating all around. I'm always checking the patch notes and if I can't see that there was a new post yesterday/today I will be unlikely to read it.

This "draft saved at xx:xx a/pm" popping up over the text that I'm writing is really irritating. Maybe move that window to a corner of the screen instead.

Someone on the first page commented saying essentially that the forums are too wide. I have to agree. The example pic they posted was a lot easier on the eyes. At the moment it feels too squashed. Reducing the width will remove that squashed feeling.

I feel that the navigation page should not have icons on it. It makes it feel overcrowded and more difficult to navigate, as the eye is drawn to the icons rather than the name of the posts. If I really want to find out who started the thread and who last posted in it I will read the names on the thread itself.

I'm not sure I agree with having to unlock features. Signatures are a big player in forums across the internet, and always have been. They're where we're allowed to put information relevant to us or about us. Having us work to unlock that as a feature is redundant if we have badges - which we now do. If you're making us unlock the signature "feature" then you may as well do the same with icons. No icon til X amount of posts, can only select from a pre-set of icons at X amount of posts, can upload a pic of your own at X amount of posts. While I do not like the idea of unlocking an icon, if you're locking signatures - which are a core aspect of forums - you may as well be consistent and do the same to icons.

Since you can see the results of who voted for what in the thread itself, the poll feature's results really does not need icons under it! Everything is so cluttered now and it's giving me a headache.

Disagreement =/= "negativity"
    Criticism =/= "hate"

• Only two complaints here, both of which have already been voiced:
    1) Reduce the amount of whitespace between each post and make the horizontal lines more important. Previously I could tell without even looking at the nameplate when one post ended and another began. This is noticeably more difficult now.
    2) Nightmode?

• I think that removing the avatars for thumbs up/down is a good call. Now if we could just have a background that's a bit easier on the eyes.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.