New character select background/music? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

New character select background/music?

We've had the same background and theme since PoF released. I get why, it was the latest expansion, but I think it would be cool if we had like an ice-themed character select background and some new theme music from our one and only Jeremy Soule. Just seems kind of strange seeing sand and pyramids and eastern-sounding music when the latest content is Far Shiverpeaks content.

Comments

  • coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Yes! I mean this is the minimum they should do if this new saga is supposed to be a replacement of an expac. Actually every new living world season should also get new music and bg. What's that once a year? Not really hard to do.

  • Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I've changed my intro / character creation music to the Map Room theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark (John Williams!). It's much more deserty and ominous than what we were given in Path of Fire.

    I completely agree that a new background and theme music are needed though.

    Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

    Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

  • Kurrilino.2706Kurrilino.2706 Member ✭✭✭

    @Endless Soul.5178 said:
    I've changed my intro / character creation music to the Map Room theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark (John Williams!). It's much more deserty and ominous than what we were given in Path of Fire.

    I completely agree that a new background and theme music are needed though.

    And how would someone do that?
    I want to change mine as well

  • Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I agree that the story has moved on enough that it makes sense to update the character select screen (though unlike many, I do like the lighting in the current one, it helps my characters' skin tones look less painted on).

    However, you should know that Soule has long since left any association with ANet and not in a friendly way. His music company screwed over a lot of players at launch. Certainly left a very bad taste in this particular player's mouth even though I at least actually got the cd's I'd paid for, albeit enough weeks late that the game had launched and I wasn't sitting around just listening to music once I could actually play. In-house composers have subsequently given us much more engaging music with far better character, far more relevant to GW2, and if we are to get new loading screen music we don't need to go looking past them for quality fare.

  • @Donari.5237 said:
    I agree that the story has moved on enough that it makes sense to update the character select screen (though unlike many, I do like the lighting in the current one, it helps my characters' skin tones look less painted on).

    However, you should know that Soule has long since left any association with ANet and not in a friendly way. His music company screwed over a lot of players at launch. Certainly left a very bad taste in this particular player's mouth even though I at least actually got the cd's I'd paid for, albeit enough weeks late that the game had launched and I wasn't sitting around just listening to music once I could actually play. In-house composers have subsequently given us much more engaging music with far better character, far more relevant to GW2, and if we are to get new loading screen music we don't need to go looking past them for quality fare.

    Whoa. Bummer.

    That said, PoF theme is probably my favourite piece of all. Whoever made that, is a master!

    @Kurrilino.2706 said:

    @Endless Soul.5178 said:
    I've changed my intro / character creation music to the Map Room theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark (John Williams!). It's much more deserty and ominous than what we were given in Path of Fire.

    I completely agree that a new background and theme music are needed though.

    And how would someone do that?
    I want to change mine as well

    +1!

  • SoulGuardian.6203SoulGuardian.6203 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Yep.
    Precisely this.
    Was just about to post the same thing.

  • coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I wonder how that custom Playlist works now that we have much more than 8 soundtracks in game...

  • We've always had more than 8 soundtracks in game. Perhaps, you mean the 8(+) different playlists?

  • SoulGuardian.6203SoulGuardian.6203 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2020

    It's easy to create playlists.
    If you have bought GW2 soundtrack and want to add a few more songs in there, create a playlist with your music player, name it accordingly and place it in the GW2 music folder.
    The tutorial in the link explains everything.

    You can add loads of songs to playlists.
    They play according to Area, Time, Situation, etc...

  • Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Yes, that's exactly what I used.

    Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

    Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

  • Virdo.1540Virdo.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

    sry but bump

  • MikeG.6389MikeG.6389 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020

    This was a discussion back in the first game, too: the music changed with each major release and is still on the Eye of the North theme.
    With the methods to create custom playlists, it's unlikely that they would change it without an expansion, but who knows? I prefer the HoT theme, myself.