Predict the strongest 1 vs 1 class after the patch

EremiteAngel.9765

@RedShark.9548 said:

@Kovu.7560 said:I'm weirdly in agreement with the majority of posts in this thread. That doesn't usually happen. I stated my opinions on the likely upcoming state of roaming in another thread, and direct 1v1'ers are just the lawful cousins of roamers so I'll post my opinion from there, here.

@Kovu.7560 said:The power stat got a massive nerf effectively, due to all of the coefficients being gutted across the board for everyone. Meanwhile sustain got a smaller nerf. You'll find fewer roamers investing as heavily into power (as it means less) and more into condition damage and defensive stats (which'll counter some of that sustain loss caused by skill nerfs). Overall fights will get longer, uncoordinated/solo bursts will be less successful.

Therefore my prediction is that the professions with the tools to stealth and kite will have a greater edge in combats and will see improved survival odds. Thieves, mesmers mostly. Pocket firebrands will be
even more
impossible to kill because while (I assume, I haven't read the guardian notes) they haven't gotten much worse at what they do, the people trying to focus them down will have a more difficult time doing so -- so you'll likely see more of them in small groups. Guardians aside, tanky warrior, engineer, elementalist & ranger builds will be nigh unkillable, at best you could hope for a draw. There will be a lot more draws in power v. power fights with these changes. Will likely revert to a condi bunker meta.

Initial thoughts.

So on that note I feel mesmer and thief will be the strongest fighters, followed by warrior (the class that can still hit like a truck with the least investment in power), followed by the professions with better condition options (mesmer, rev), followed by the "you can't actually kill me but I probably won't kill you" elementalist, ranger and engineer builds. I voted mesmer because in what I feel will be a condition meta mirage will be more threatening than whatever thieves can put out.

I do feel despite the guardian nerfs that pocket firebrands will be even
more
effective in 2-5 group skirmish scenarios than they are even now. But as this is about 1v1 scenarios... mesmer.

~ Kovu

Why exactly do you think that warriors will still hit like trucks? Most of their dmg came from chaining together cc and then a burst, cc wont do any dmg, and the followed burst has less dmg too, while might gain was cut down aswell.

So you wont see 9k bullscharge into 10k eviscerate anymore. It will be 30dmg bullscharge into maybe 6k eviscerate.Since many warrior skills are tied to cc and pretty much all the cc gets the 0.01 treatment warrior loses more than 30% dmg.

So if a warrior goes into tankier stats, like you said, they will lose even more dmg.A tanky warrior might be nearly unkillable, but he wont do much else aswell, except maybe perma cc you and have a friend that does the dmg on your not moving body.

Fair points. I guess when I'm permastunned being wailed on I fail to appreciate just how much of that damage is coming from the control effects themselves in the current game. Drop warriors into the "you can't actually kill me but I probably won't kill you" category, then.

~ Kovu

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that people think its thief when thief already isnt the strongest 1v1 class and the changes (in particular reduction of burst, and increased power of condis relative to power) hurt them more than the other classes. And while condi thief was hit a lot less hard than power thief, it was still hit pretty hard compared to most other condi builds, so I dont think condi thief will be doing too hot either.

Hard to say what will be the best 1v1 build. My guess its either a bunker build, or a condi build. With the former it could be Soulbeast (again), easily. With the latter, I dont know. Mirage got hit hard, Condi thief got hit hard, but the others are largely left untouched. Could be Condi Scourge, now that its weakness of being burst down ceases to exist, and instead it will be the class that bursts down. Could be some kind of condi ranger. Or maybe even some kind of Engineer.

You're going to start seeing far more tanky condi Mesmer builds roaming again as Mirage will possibly not be viable in WvW with just the one dodge and one-shot power Mes just won't really be worth the effort compared to other power builds. But condi Mes isn't really suffering much with the incoming changes and it's already a strong choice for 1v1 roaming.

EDIT: I may have accidentally selected Ranger ?

@Shao.7236 said:Don't see why people think Thief is gonna be the strongest class when:

• Healing Skills have been nerfed.
  • Vigor has been nerfed.
  • Utilities CD have been increased.
  • Initiative has been increased.

The only thing people think about is Stealth. If anything, this patch has made Stealth even more important for the Thief to keep rather than be offensive because they have to kite even more now with those cooldowns. Evade spamming won't be an option either.

There is a lot of strength in deciding where and when the fight will occur, plus the ability to pre-test the fight. Even before the patch thieves will try a quick burst and the better ones know it's time to get out of town when their burst fails to damage an opponent. Again, personally mobility regains more of its top role, especially when they nerf the warclaw's speed advantage in controlled territory.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@"Shao.7236" said:Don't see why people think Thief is gonna be the strongest class when:
  • Healing Skills have been nerfed.
  • Vigor has been nerfed.
  • Utilities CD have been increased.
  • Initiative has been increased.

The only thing people think about is Stealth. If anything, this patch has made Stealth even more important for the Thief to keep rather than be offensive because they have to kite even more now with those cooldowns. Evade spamming won't be an option either.

There is a lot of strength in deciding where and when the fight will occur, plus the ability to pre-test the fight. Even before the patch thieves will try a quick burst and the better ones know it's time to get out of town when their burst fails to damage an opponent. Again, personally mobility regains more of its top role, especially when they nerf the warclaw's speed advantage in controlled territory.

I mean, if the question was "what class is going to lose 1v1s the least", then yeah, I guess you could make a case for thief, they are very good at running away. But, thats kinda the only thing they are good at. Especially after this patch. I wouldnt consider a class I (usually) wont kill but which also (definitely) wont kill me a "good" 1v1 class. There is strength in being able to choose your fight, and retry if it doesnt work out, but if no matter how much you try and where you fight, you always lose, that doesnt save you.

To be honest, I believe Mesmer and Thief will still be easy (reaaally trying hard to not put bad words instead of easy) classes. In such that they deal dmg and leave if they can not handle the fight, so usually only decent in a 2v1 fight or 3v1.

But in reality I think Condi/Bunker classes will be the best 1v1 classes, and probably the most fun to play against/with, since less condi cleanse and more bunker. So maybe guardian or necro based on the overall message from A-Net. But I really do not know how the game will play out based on all those updates.

I'm surprised that more than half the votes went to Thieves while the rest are evenly spread among the other classes.I guess a lot depends on how we define 1 vs 1 impromptu roaming encounters.I see a lot of people reasoning that Thieves will have an advantage due to superior mobility and lesser spike damage to take them out.Personally I would consider players who run out of combat as the losing party.So I really wouldn't consider them the greatest threat.

Especially now that fights are likely to last longer, it becomes more important for Thieves to manage their initiatives and cooldowns well.I don't think it will be very easy for Thieves after the patch to win a fight since they rely a lot on spike damage themselves.Initiative usage will become a big problem for Thieves.Only the really excellent ones who use their initiatives wisely will do well now that they are losing spike damage as well.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Especially now that fights are likely to last longer, it becomes more important for Thieves to manage their initiatives and cooldowns well.I don't think it will be very easy for Thieves after the patch to win a fight since they rely a lot on spike damage themselves.Initiative usage will become a big problem for Thieves.Only the really excellent ones who use their initiatives wisely will do well now that they are losing spike damage as well.

Too bad other classes rely on the same burst damage to kill perma-stealth/evade thieves and coincidently thats also nerfed along all their defenses to counter stealth/surprise attacks.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:Especially now that fights are likely to last longer, it becomes more important for Thieves to manage their initiatives and cooldowns well.I don't think it will be very easy for Thieves after the patch to win a fight since they rely a lot on spike damage themselves.Initiative usage will become a big problem for Thieves.Only the really excellent ones who use their initiatives wisely will do well now that they are losing spike damage as well.

Too bad other classes rely on the same burst damage to kill perma-stealth/evade thieves and coincidently thats also nerfed along all their defenses to counter stealth/surprise attacks.

Perma stealth I totally agree, perma "evade" half of them evades are weapon skills and can be set up for a cc though this wont be as effective after patch as all cc will tickle.

Honestly, I hadn't looked at thief traits until recently - other classes would (like to try to) kill for traits like these! Heal on this, heal on that, lose conditions AND evade etc etc. It's all survivability! Comparatively amazing! Sometimes it seems like different people made each class.

@Svarty.8019 said:Honestly, I hadn't looked at thief traits until recently - other classes would (like to try to) kill for traits like these! Heal on this, heal on that, lose conditions AND evade etc etc. It's all survivability! Comparatively amazing! Sometimes it seems like different people made each class.

Wait til you see Warrior traits then, now that is actual survivability. Thief traits look a lot more impressive for survivability than they really are, thats why Thieves are such easy kill targets if they refuse to run away.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

@Svarty.8019 said:Honestly, I hadn't looked at thief traits until recently - other classes would (like to try to) kill for traits like these! Heal on this, heal on that, lose conditions AND evade etc etc. It's all survivability! Comparatively amazing! Sometimes it seems like different people made each class.

Wait til you see Warrior traits then, now
that
is actual survivability. Thief traits look a lot more impressive for survivability than they really are, thats why Thieves are such easy kill targets if they refuse to run away.

that
is actual survivability. Thief traits look a lot more impressive for survivability than they really are, thats why Thieves are such easy kill targets if they refuse to run away.

True thief tactics, diverting attention from issue at hand. Thief get shafted. I love all these people here even ppl here saying they hit like wet noodles when in reality they can unleash 17k+ crits from stealth oneshots.

@Crackmonster.2790 said:

that

that

True thief tactics, diverting attention from issue at hand. Thief get shafted. I love all these people here even ppl here saying they hit like wet noodles when in reality they can unleash 17k+ crits from stealth oneshots.

Thing is, thief is hardly alone in being able to do that. Ranger, guardian, mesmer, warrior, rev can all spike comparatively well (some don't have the stealth, fair enough), and after the patch the malicious backstab playstyle will probably be completely irrelevant in WvW as I doubt it will do enough to one shot.

Tbh, if you're struggling with thief one shots, just slap on some durability runes, or earth runes if it's a deadeye shooting you. Nine times out of ten that will be enough to neuter the burst and give you a chance to respond.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

that

that

Thing is, thief is hardly alone in being able to do that. Ranger, guardian, mesmer, warrior, rev can all spike comparatively well (some don't have the stealth, fair enough), and after the patch the malicious backstab playstyle will probably be completely irrelevant in WvW as I doubt it will do enough to one shot.

Tbh, if you're struggling with thief one shots, just slap on some durability runes, or earth runes if it's a deadeye shooting you. Nine times out of ten that will be enough to neuter the burst and give you a chance to respond.

Welll tbh im just going for a more tankier build now, i don't enjoy walking and out of the blue im lying on the ground and never even see who killed me. So a more tankier build is suitable for me.

@Crackmonster.2790 said:

that

that

Welll tbh im just going for a more tankier build now, i don't enjoy walking and out of the blue im lying on the ground and never even see who killed me. So a more tankier build is suitable for me.

That's fair. If its any consolation, I have to do the same; I got hit for a 17-18k true shot from a dh sat in a zerg the other day, nearly killed me on the spot.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

that

that

That's fair. If its any consolation, I have to do the same; I got hit for a 17-18k true shot from a dh sat in a zerg the other day, nearly killed me on the spot.

You can ratelt hit 12k+ with it...

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

that

that

You can ratelt hit 12k+ with it...

Well, tell that to the combat log haha. Like I said, he was sat in a zerg so admittedly it might have been an ideal, stars aligned sort of scenario. But he hit for that then for 16k ish shortly afterwards, only reason I lived was auto proc evade and having 20k health.

@Crackmonster.2790 said:

that

that

Thief does in fact do less sustained damage than other classes. What youre describing is a glass cannon oneshot build, when hitting another glass cannon oneshot build. Certainly, you could argue such a build shouldnt exist (And I would agree, its pretty degenerate), but you have to realise even in that situation, that damage is not that impressive. When it comes to glass cannon vs glass cannon, Ranger and Warrior can easily hit over 20k, and if we go to really fast (less than a quarter second) bursts, then Mesmer can even potentially hit 30k.

• 1 month later...

Lol this thread shows the mentality of gw2 community just perfect :)This community can't even answer a honest poll without just placing the class they dislike the most as top 1v1'r regardless of what actually are viable 1v1 classes. Thief is definitely not now nor was ever a top 1v1 dual class lmao.Not suprising this games tanking.