What GW2 is missing compare to GW1: Too Few Armor Set

GW2 has never stopped to make new weapon set, which is good.

But compare to GW1, there are way too few armor sets. GW1 has so many specific armor sets for different classes. GW2 lacks of it. There is no class specific sets and lack of the nice looking elite sets in GW1. Some Gem store pieces are good, but overall I think GW1's armor style is better epecially when it came to how it fits each classes.

Outfit is good but it forces you to put the entire thing on without any freedom to switch, not even the headgear.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it have fewer? If you compare the 2, each profession in Guild Wars has around 35 armor sets it can use, give or take a couple, and many are elaborations of lower tiers, for example the assassin armor with increasing number of spikes on the armor with higher tiers. Guild Wars 2 has 66 or 67 each armor weight can use (74 minus 12 cultural armors from other races and one extra heavy armor, the Mistward, plus 4 karma armors)

[Guild Wars 2: List of armor sets][Example of Guild Wars armor sets: the Assassin]

So comparing the 2, maybe GW2 doesn’t have the profession specific armors but they have a good selection compared to the other game plus they have the wardrobe to store them in.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Does it have fewer? If you compare the 2, each profession in Guild Wars has around 35 armor sets it can use, give or take a couple, and many are elaborations of lower tiers, for example the assassin armor with increasing number of spikes on the armor with higher tiers. Guild Wars 2 has 66 or 67 each armor weight can use (74 minus 12 cultural armors from other races and one extra heavy armor, the Mistward, plus 4 karma armors)

I think you've actually overcounted GW1 armour, since some Factions armour sets were the same as Prophecies ones. By my count, Warrior has the most with 32. There are 29 for Ranger, Elementalist and Mesmer, 31 for Monk and Necro, 19 for Assassin and Ritualist, and 12 for Paragon and Dervish. That's 243 armour sets in total, although any given character only has access to at most 32 of them.

In GW2 by my count (which agreed with yours) there are 259 armour sets in total (counting each tier of Envoy, Triumphant and Glorious separately). I'm quite surprised by how similar the totals are: in seven and half years of GW2, ANet have only released slightly more armour sets than they did over two and half years of GW1. I guess having to make most of those armour sets fit five races has really slowed them down.

I think you shouldn't calculate complete sets, but rather the number of skins available because there are many armor sets not counted by the wiki. Corsair armor, Mist shard, Blossoming Mist Shard, Elegy and so on. Maybe because you acquire the different pieces from different areas, or maybe because the wiki list hasn't been updated in some time.

There are 2,117 armor skins in GW2588 Helmets345 Shoulders274 Coats347 Gloves261 Leggings284 Boots264 Back piecesThere are also 95 outfits

Removing 12 of the Racial armor sets (keep 3 to apply them to all races) and the Mistward armor, which is only heavy, this leads to 248 unique leggings (sets?) of 3 weights. Multiply by 3 (Humanoid, Asura, Charr) because skins unlock for all races at once, and you get a total of 744 + 12 + 1 = 754 armor skins unique to Race + Weight

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Does it have fewer? If you compare the 2, each profession in Guild Wars has around 35 armor sets it can use, give or take a couple, and many are elaborations of lower tiers, for example the assassin armor with increasing number of spikes on the armor with higher tiers. Guild Wars 2 has 66 or 67 each armor weight can use (74 minus 12 cultural armors from other races and one extra heavy armor, the Mistward, plus 4 karma armors)

[Guild Wars 2: List of armor sets][Example of Guild Wars armor sets: the Assassin]

So comparing the 2, maybe GW2 doesn’t have the profession specific armors but they have a good selection compared to the other game plus they have the wardrobe to store them in.

@maddoctor.2738 said:I think you shouldn't calculate complete sets, but rather the number of skins available because there are many armor sets not counted by the wiki. Corsair armor, Mist shard, Blossoming Mist Shard, Elegy and so on. Maybe because you acquire the different pieces from different areas, or maybe because the wiki list hasn't been updated in some time.

There are 2,117 armor skins in GW2588 Helmets345 Shoulders274 Coats347 Gloves261 Leggings284 Boots264 Back piecesThere are also 95 outfits

Removing 12 of the Racial armor sets (keep 3 to apply them to all races) and the Mistward armor, which is only heavy, this leads to 248 unique leggings (sets?) of 3 weights. Multiply by 3 (Humanoid, Asura, Charr) because skins unlock for all races at once, and you get a total of 744 + 12 + 1 = 754 armor skins unique to Race + Weight

Still GW1 has a better armor style.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Does it have fewer? If you compare the 2, each profession in Guild Wars has around 35 armor sets it can use, give or take a couple, and many are elaborations of lower tiers, for example the assassin armor with increasing number of spikes on the armor with higher tiers. Guild Wars 2 has 66 or 67 each armor weight can use (74 minus 12 cultural armors from other races and one extra heavy armor, the Mistward, plus 4 karma armors)

@maddoctor.2738 said:I think you shouldn't calculate complete sets, but rather the number of skins available because there are many armor sets not counted by the wiki. Corsair armor, Mist shard, Blossoming Mist Shard, Elegy and so on. Maybe because you acquire the different pieces from different areas, or maybe because the wiki list hasn't been updated in some time.

That is completely subjective, and many of the arnors in GW1 were very similar within each group. And even if some are better, being able to mix and match among more pieces that are more varied means that a unique look can be made by each person. Mixing and matching among the Assassin armors for example doesn’t give near the variation and choice that GW2 offers for any armor weight.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Does it have fewer? If you compare the 2, each profession in Guild Wars has around 35 armor sets it can use, give or take a couple, and many are elaborations of lower tiers, for example the assassin armor with increasing number of spikes on the armor with higher tiers. Guild Wars 2 has 66 or 67 each armor weight can use (74 minus 12 cultural armors from other races and one extra heavy armor, the Mistward, plus 4 karma armors)

@"maddoctor.2738" said:I think you shouldn't calculate complete sets, but rather the number of skins available because there are many armor sets not counted by the wiki. Corsair armor, Mist shard, Blossoming Mist Shard, Elegy and so on. Maybe because you acquire the different pieces from different areas, or maybe because the wiki list hasn't been updated in some time.

That is completely subjective, and many of the arnors in GW1 were very similar within each group. And even if some are better, being able to mix and match among more pieces that are more varied means that a unique look can be made by each person. Mixing and matching among the Assassin armors for example doesn’t give near the variation and choice that GW2 offers for any armor weight.

I will say GW1 sets looks better as a strict "set" and it fits each class better. GW2 has more choices to mix stuff but many sets looks off probably because they were too old.

Also a lot of amazing skins were part of the Outfit, which you don't have a choice to combine them.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

It depends if you want armor that looks the same and you like that same then yes. If you want more variety then no, GW2 has more variety.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:It depends if you want armor that looks the same and you like that same then yes. If you want more variety then no, GW2 has more variety.

But GW2's overall armor style doesn't look well enough. I tried all skins but most of the sets suck because they were too old or not being set as the "elite set".

GW1 would have more choices if different classes can wear each other's armor.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:In my experience, few mix-and-matched armors in GW1. Many, many players mix-and-match in GW2. Thus, I would say there are multitudes more armor selections in Guild Wars 2. Not to mention that 3 Professions can share armor styles in GW2, compared to only 1 in GW.

I won't say few mix and matched. Only chest and leg part would be hard to find match ups from different sets.

That's also because GW1's whole sets look well enough.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:It depends if you want armor that looks the same and you like that same then yes. If you want more variety then no, GW2 has more variety.

But GW2's overall armor style doesn't look well enough. I tried all skins but most of the sets suck because they were too old or not being set as the "elite set".

i disagree, compared to GW1 i find alot of the armor in GW2 even the basic kind to be well off. Could they use texture updates(especially the launch sets) to make them look even better? yes. But I have more options in GW2 than i ever did in GW1, thank -goodness.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:I think you shouldn't calculate complete sets, but rather the number of skins available because there are many armor sets not counted by the wiki. Corsair armor, Mist shard, Blossoming Mist Shard, Elegy and so on. Maybe because you acquire the different pieces from different areas, or maybe because the wiki list hasn't been updated in some time.

I will say GW1 sets looks better as a strict "set" and it fits each class better.

Undoubtedly an argument can be made that GW1 sets matched each profession better. But you can argue that some, like Assassin didn’t, not with all those ridiculous spikes sticking out everywhere that if it was in real life would have caught in everything around them, hindering them in any fight and imo not matching the class at all.

GW2 has more choices to mix stuff but many sets looks off probably because they were too old.

And your argument is that GW1 sets which were years older don’t look even more off?

Also a lot of amazing skins were part of the Outfit, which you don't have a choice to combine them.

GW1 had costumes which were bought from their gemstore. However we aren’t discussing outfits but if GW2 has fewer armor sets than GW1 so outfits and costumes aren’t relevant to this discussion.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Undoubtedly an argument can be made that GW1 sets matched each profession better. But you can argue that some, like Assassin didn’t, not with all those ridiculous spikes sticking out everywhere that if it was in real life would have caught in everything around them, hindering them in any fight and imo not matching the class at all.

Not all assassin sets are like set, sure assassin probably has the worst set of GW1.

And your argument is that GW1 sets which were years older don’t look even more off?

GW1 was keep giving new sets for each classes with each xpc. GW2 didn't do that well in HoT, PoF was a bit better but still more of armor sets are not class focused.

GW1 had costumes which were bought from their gemstore. However we aren’t discussing outfits but if GW2 has fewer armor sets than GW1 so outfits and costumes aren’t relevant to this discussion.

Most of the GW1 costumes were not "better" than the sets as single pieces. GW2 is different. Many chests/legs doesn't have the texture quality.

@Dante.1763 said:

i disagree, compared to GW1 i find alot of the armor in GW2 even the basic kind to be well off. Could they use texture updates(especially the launch sets) to make them look even better? yes. But I have more options in GW2 than i ever did in GW1, thank -goodness.

I focus more on class specific sets, so I prefer GW1's style a bit better.

Especially the mesmer and necromancer sets.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

Im really glad we dont have class specific sets. Im currently RPing my Ele as a Shaman and if we had class specific i couldnt take it seriously.

@Dante.1763 said:

Im really glad we dont have class specific sets. Im currently RPing my Ele as a Shaman and if we had class specific i couldnt take it seriously.

I don't think it's a problem. They can still make those class themed sets but make it available for every class.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

You shouldn't impose your opinion on others because frankly I can do the same, GW1 overall armor style doesn't look well enough, I tried all skins but most of them look really ugly and out of place. Like that absolute garbage Obsidian armor set that doesn't look good on ANY profession yet for some reason is called "elite". Assassin has exactly 0 good looking sets, Paragon has no set that is even remotely good looking, at least compared to the armor of the Paragon Heroes. Necromancer armor sets were never to my taste but I dislike the entire design of Necromancer in GW1 (aesthetics only, skill/gameplay is fine). Just a few of the top of my head, it's a real struggle to find something that looks good in GW1 because it lacks variety, originality and good looking sets.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:It depends if you want armor that looks the same and you like that same then yes. If you want more variety then no, GW2 has more variety.

You shouldn't impose your opinion on others because frankly I can do the same, GW1 overall armor style doesn't look well enough, I tried all skins but most of them look really ugly and out of place. Like that absolute garbage Obsidian armor set that doesn't look good on ANY profession yet for some reason is called "elite". Assassin has exactly 0 good looking sets, Paragon has no set that is even remotely good looking, at least compared to the armor of the Paragon Heroes. Necromancer armor sets were never to my taste but I dislike the entire design of Necromancer in GW1 (aesthetics only, skill/gameplay is fine). Just a few of the top of my head, it's a real struggle to find something that looks good in GW1 because it lacks variety, originality and good looking sets.

Sure, Obsidian sucks other than the Paragon one. Paragon has a few good ones.

Necromancer has a much better themed compare to GW2 since there are no class theme armor. The Vabbian armor is super cool.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

Again, subjective. And your starting argument was that gw2 has fewer armor sets, which you have not proved and in fact is wrong. Gw2 has at least as many armor sets and is more varied in its choices. In addition, if you liked the styles available for each profession in GW1 then all was good. But if you didn’t or if you were tired of it and wanted to be different and say, wear a necro style armor on an ele, then too bad for you. Only the straight and true ele look was yours to wear.

However in GW2 you can mix and match to get a far more varied look and get a look that matches your class or a look that matches another class, for example, I can mix and match on my heavy armor guardian and get something that looks like a light armor ele. Now if you want the other professions to stay in their box and look like they are “supposed” to look then of course you’re not going to like that but everyone else will appreciate having the chance to look the way they want.

What Gw2 is missing is the is the armour/outfit look of the divinity reach nobles (can be a cultural set). I would like to see more pants options for light and heavy, and a bit less coats for medium. They are doing a good job with that so far, but a few more would be nice.

As far as GW1 sets or armour, Only set pieces I would like to see are the Kurzick/ Luxon armour that they had, which could be applied for each weight class.

Examples:

Light https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/thumb/c/ce/Mesmer_Kurzick_armor_f.jpg/216px-Mesmer_Kurzick_armor_f.jpgMedium https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/7/72/Ranger_Luxon_armor_f.jpgHeavy https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/thumb/7/7d/Warrior_Kurzick_armor_m.jpg/283px-Warrior_Kurzick_armor_m.jpg

I would even take them as outfits. Only problem is that those sets would only work for Human, Norn and Sylvari . As they're similar body type, they would need to be redone for Charr and Asurans.

Other issue is location, however, at the same time they did release the ritualist armour as an outfit, and you can find Oni blades in the game.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Again, subjective. And your starting argument was that gw2 has fewer armor sets, which you have not proved and in fact is wrong. Gw2 has at least as many armor sets and is more varied in its choices. In addition, if you liked the styles available for each profession in GW1 then all was good. But if you didn’t or if you were tired of it and wanted to be different and say, wear a necro style armor on an ele, then too bad for you. Only the straight and true ele look was yours to wear.

However in GW2 you can mix and match to get a far more varied look and get a look that matches your class or a look that matches another class, for example, I can mix and match on my heavy armor guardian and get something that looks like a light armor ele. Now if you want the other professions to stay in their box and look like they are “supposed” to look then of course you’re not going to like that but everyone else will appreciate having the chance to look the way they want.

I agree that armor should be available for all classes, it wasn't my point and not my point. The point is we would be good to have class themed armors.

There are no class themed armor. Which means if you want your class to look like one, there is difficulty and might not be accurate. Even in GW2 there are race only armor which I don't like. Why do I need to mix and match when there are good set, which I just need to replace probably 1-2 pieces like head and glove?

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Again, subjective. And your starting argument was that gw2 has fewer armor sets, which you have not proved and in fact is wrong. Gw2 has at least as many armor sets and is more varied in its choices. In addition, if you liked the styles available for each profession in GW1 then all was good. But if you didn’t or if you were tired of it and wanted to be different and say, wear a necro style armor on an ele, then too bad for you. Only the straight and true ele look was yours to wear.

I agree that armor should be available for all classes, it wasn't my point and not my point. The point is we would be good to have class themed armors.

There are no class themed armor. Which means if you want your class to look like one, there is difficulty and might not be accurate. Even in GW2 there are race only armor which I don't like. Why do I need to mix and match when there are good set, which I just need to replace probably 1-2 pieces like head and glove?

Your argument is that the Devs should more strictly design armor where necros look like necros and guardians look like guardians and so on for each profession. In other words, the devs should make more armor that “looks like it should“ for each. However that works only if you agree with the devs. If you don’t then class themed armor is only a boring restriction that limits you in what you can do to make yourself look truly different and, in fact, limits imagination and choice. This would result in more players sticking to the “proper look” and less variation and imagination in armor choices.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Your argument is that the Devs should more strictly design armor where necros look like necros and guardians look like guardians and so on for each profession. In other words, the devs should make more armor that “looks like it should“ for each. However that works only if you agree with the devs. If you don’t then class themed armor is only a boring restriction that limits you in what you can do to make yourself look truly different and, in fact, limits imagination and choice. This would result in more players sticking to the “proper look” and less variation and imagination in armor choices.

Of course, if necro doesn't look like necro, why play the class? Sure there should be freedom outside of class sets, but you need class sets first.

What restriction? Nobody forces you to wear them, you have other choices. No class armor is another kind of restriction because we don't have it to choose. You are making a bad argument here.